|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2013

Judged:

j_m_w wrote:
"According to one study published by the National Institutes of Health, approximately 1 percent of the population studied identified as "asexual," or not experiencing sexual attraction.
I personally know more than one person who identifies as asexual."
Based on these stats, either it's an amazing coincidence or Amy knows a crapton of people. Or she's full of poop.
I caught that, too!

“On Deck”

Since: Aug 08

French Polynesia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2013

Judged:

L1. I don't know about you, but for me that would be a dismal existence to plod through life without the intimate companionship of the opposite sex

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2013

Judged:

And not only does Amy know more than one person who is asexual, she is close enough to each of them that they would divulge something rather private to her.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2013

Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
I get what you're saying and I would probably feel likewise if I actually wanted to communicate with people. As it is though, everyone's so busy with their phones that they don't notice me which means I don't have to interact with the world at large, so for me, it's a win.:D
I'm with you most times. I notice strangers don't feel the need to talk as much as years ago.

If I'm out with a good friend or acquaintance and they constantly check their FB or messages out of habit, it's a bit irritating. Instead of getting angry, though, I just ask what's going on. No sense spoiling everything. Sometimes it's interesting. Sometimes not.

I do notice a definite age thing, though. Was with a group of women over 40 very recently -- everyone had their phones on in case husband/boyfriend/kid needed to get a hold of them, but no one had them out. The under 30 crowd is more tied with the phone RIGHT THERE.

As generalizations go, I know there will be exceptions both ways but that's what I've noticed in my unscientific study.:)

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2013

Judged:

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
And not only does Amy know more than one person who is asexual, she is close enough to each of them that they would divulge something rather private to her.
It's Amy. Look at her picture. Are you surprised?

(Okay -- trying to be funny so don't jump on me as to how mean I am. I don't know ONE person who is asexual or if I do they have not had the need to tell me.)

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

Judged:

Maybe their all crazy cat ladies, and she just assumes their asexual.
RedheadwGlasses wrote:

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
It's Amy. Look at her picture. Are you surprised?
(Okay -- trying to be funny so don't jump on me as to how mean I am. I don't know ONE person who is asexual or if I do they have not had the need to tell me.)
I think (and I am being very generous towards her here...) she may be confusing asexual with non-sexual, as in sexual, just not getting any right now for whatever reason.

I actually do know one person who is asexual (IMO anyway). She has divulged the info to me many, many, many years ago. She simply has no interest in actual sex. Her life is ok though. She has lots of friends, male and female, very active, outgoing, volunteers, works, etc., etc., etc.

She is my closest, oldest friend. I have known her almost my whole life. So there's a lot of things I know about her, same as she knows about me. That said, if I know anyone else who is asexual, then I don't know about it because it's a kinda private thing.

“What's it to ya?”

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

Oh and I'm not fully awake yet so if I don't make a lot of sense, just infer.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

OK, I give up. Your avatar, what is it?
Mimi Seattle wrote:
Oh and I'm not fully awake yet so if I don't make a lot of sense, just infer.

“What's it to ya?”

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

RACE wrote:
OK, I give up. Your avatar, what is it?
<quoted text>
One of my cats all weirdly contortioned.
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

Stina's story makes me angry.
I see that a lot too and it makes me angry!
People love their phone more thsn their kid.
The inability to detach and leave it in a purse or NOT have it on hand every.bloody.minute is so infuriating. Addiction.
Stina

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2013

cheluzal wrote:
Stina's story makes me angry.
I see that a lot too and it makes me angry!
People love their phone more thsn their kid.
The inability to detach and leave it in a purse or NOT have it on hand every.bloody.minute is so infuriating. Addiction.
I wanted to whack her. Leave it in your pocketbook. Check it periodically if you ened to for emergencies/work, but to ignore the real world for it is selfish, rude and neglectful. I bet I could haev taken that kids' hand and walked out of the bathroom and she wouldn't notice he was gone for 10 minutes.
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2013

That's what I think! How quickly these kids could be gone because some stupid parent thinks updating FB is more important.
And when you hear the kid calling them repeatedly for attention...grrr....I hate what technology has done to people.

Mindless drone zombies, just what the gov't ordered...
Stina

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2013

cheluzal wrote:
That's what I think! How quickly these kids could be gone because some stupid parent thinks updating FB is more important.
And when you hear the kid calling them repeatedly for attention...grrr....I hate what technology has done to people.
Mindless drone zombies, just what the gov't ordered...
Exactly! i see it WAY too often! Especially at places like restaurants and amusements parks and the beach. You know, pleaces where families supposedly go to spent time TOGETHER!

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2013

Stina wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly! i see it WAY too often! Especially at places like restaurants and amusements parks and the beach. You know, pleaces where families supposedly go to spent time TOGETHER!
A few weeks ago, D and I were waiting for seats at the bar in a crowded restaurant. These two young girls (early 20s, I'd guess) were sitting next to each other, definitely together, both of them done eating and buried in their respective phones. It was so annoying. Not only is it pointless to go out to eat together and then ignore each other, but now they're taking up seats WE could have, just to sit there and troll Facebook or whatever.
Stina

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2013

j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
A few weeks ago, D and I were waiting for seats at the bar in a crowded restaurant. These two young girls (early 20s, I'd guess) were sitting next to each other, definitely together, both of them done eating and buried in their respective phones. It was so annoying. Not only is it pointless to go out to eat together and then ignore each other, but now they're taking up seats WE could have, just to sit there and troll Facebook or whatever.
Another great example!!! That is so aggravating (that you had to wait) and pointless (why go out with each other then not talk?)!

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2013

I am definitely someone who will say to my table, "Can we go somewhere else to keep drinking and chatting? That lobby is full of people waiting for a table." I do that at the point where we're done eating and we've relaxed a bit, but it's time to move and let someone else have supper.
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2013

j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
I wish I wasn't annoyed by others glued in their devices, but it brings up a Hulk-like rage in me, I swear, lol.
I want every bloody cell to die for a day so people can just LIVE!
Stina

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I am definitely someone who will say to my table, "Can we go somewhere else to keep drinking and chatting? That lobby is full of people waiting for a table." I do that at the point where we're done eating and we've relaxed a bit, but it's time to move and let someone else have supper.
I try to do that, too, if a place is busy.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 39 of39
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

51 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min USAsince1680 1,071,637
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 15 min LRS 173,560
Negra Nagin gets 10 years-YEAH 17 min hands on AR 5
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 17 min SpaceBlues 45,438
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 35 min Hatti_Hollerand 385
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 44 min Toj 97,431
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 1 hr george 3,812
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Chicago News, Events & Info