Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2012

Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
Lego question for anyone who has kids with them:
Do your kids just build the kits and that's it, or do they break them down and combine them in to one big Lego mess and build all kinds of other stuff?
Co-worker (single mom) and her 8 y/o son's bonding is done over Lego kits, which is so cool, but I was kind of shocked when she said he just keeps them that way once they're done. I got a bazillion hours of play out of just giant buckets of random Legos.
He has both the kits and regular, random legos. The kits get built and he wants them to stay that way. The random legos get built into things and taken apart regularly.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2012

Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
Lego question for anyone who has kids with them:
Do your kids just build the kits and that's it, or do they break them down and combine them in to one big Lego mess and build all kinds of other stuff?
Co-worker (single mom) and her 8 y/o son's bonding is done over Lego kits, which is so cool, but I was kind of shocked when she said he just keeps them that way once they're done. I got a bazillion hours of play out of just giant buckets of random Legos.
We build it per instructions the first time and that usually lasts about a week. Then the girls take them apart and build whatever their little imaginators come up with.

As it should be.

But I save the instructions, just in case.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2012

pde wrote:
<quoted text>
The stuffed animals did get taken back.
Apparently my husband though, has approved the Lego Hogwarts staying downstairs in the family room until "he gets a shelf built for the lego kits". That BETTER happen before the Lego Millennium Falcon turns up in a few weeks.
True enough. She does have to deal with him to get him to do it, however.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2012

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
You obviously missed Tonka's post. C'mon! Keep up!
Yes, I missed his and Angela's. My apologies, I'll redirect my comment to them.

We're talking about formal wear and dead-beat dads here. Where is all this talk of open dining space and legos coming from?

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2012

Judged:

Alright, I googled

http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-semi-formal-a...

Semi-formal wear does seem to include a three piece suit for men. For women, it seems to vary between a simple dress and and evening gown.

So I'll alter my comments slightly but stand by telling the man to get off his cheap @zz and rent a dam suit for a night.

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2012

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
We're talking about formal wear and dead-beat dads here. Where is all this talk of open dining space and legos coming from?
Did you have legos as a kid? I remember Lincoln Logs. And the plastic green soldiers. And real "blocks" made of wood. I'd play "War" with my brothers. The "guns" we shot were the rubberbands from our paper route. We'd set up the plastic soldiers and shoot them. It was kind of fun. Until someone would get made and then we'd shoot each other. Rubberbands hurt.
Kuuipo

Monterey, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2012

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Like the ending of a christmas carol, lol.
I was thinking "It's A Wonderful Life"... LOL.
Kuuipo

Monterey, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2012

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>In my experience, this is more a female thing than somethimg men do. Men do not typically go out and buy outfits just for an upcoming event. And like Red said about Nick, rent a tux? For a wedding your not actually in? Maybe if it was someone I was real close to. Like if my sister asked me to. But a co-worker's kid? HAHAHAHAHAHA!
Yes, women do this. Maybe not ALL women, but a lot of us. In fact, some of us LOOOOVE to have an excuse to buy new clothes. However, LW was complaining about the expense more than the shopping, and he seemed genuinely concerned about offending his co-worker. IMHO, he can keep the expense to a minimum AND possibly score some dress clothes that may come in handy in the future by shopping at the off-price stores.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2012

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Why am I not surprised you were unable ti cinnect the dots? We talked about formal wear. Which led to my comments on how society is slowly shifting away from formal to more casual. Angela jumped that shift to cssual clothes to a similar shift to more casual home designs that don't include a formal living room.

Hopefully the dots are connected enogh for you now.
PEllen

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2012

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text> Why am I not surprised you were unable ti cinnect the dots? We talked about formal wear. Which led to my comments on how society is slowly shifting away from formal to more casual. Angela jumped that shift to cssual clothes to a similar shift to more casual home designs that don't include a formal living room.
Thank you for the Readers Digest version of 109 posts. It helped me as well
Julie

Skokie, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2012

Judged:

pde wrote:
<quoted text>I personally read the guy as kind of a dispassionate and unemotional man.
I think you're being *exceptionally* generous. This man said "All three children have also passed away over the years." That's ALL he says about the deaths of, not only "this first son," as he coldly refers to the person he raised since birth, but also the deaths of his 2 BIOLOGICAL children. Sounds to me like the LW has ice water running in his veins, and his family--whom he obviously does not want a relationship with--would be *much* better off without him. He wants to be alone. And he deserves to be alone.

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2012

Mister Tonka wrote:
Actually, I'm even MORE confused.

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2012

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for the Readers Digest version of 109 posts. It helped me as well
Okay, this made me laugh.
pde

Gilberts, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2012

Julie wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you're being *exceptionally* generous. This man said "All three children have also passed away over the years." That's ALL he says about the deaths of, not only "this first son," as he coldly refers to the person he raised since birth, but also the deaths of his 2 BIOLOGICAL children. Sounds to me like the LW has ice water running in his veins, and his family--whom he obviously does not want a relationship with--would be *much* better off without him. He wants to be alone. And he deserves to be alone.
And we're not given any context on when the biological children died. If they both died as children or young adults for some reason, he's had 30-40 years to come to term with their deaths. We're talking about a man who is likely in his 80s. I can tell you that all my relatives who are now in their 80s have each their own very weird outlook on life.
pde

Gilberts, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2012

Sorry, who is likely in his 70s or 80s. That's what I meant to type. Shotgun marriage says maybe early marriage.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

101 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Grey Ghost 1,082,106
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 35 min SpaceBlues 45,823
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr Terry rigsby 48,939
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr Jacques from Ottawa 174,913
Amy 7-28 1 hr Mister Tonka 10
Local health care outreach program to Muslims e... 1 hr reality is a crutch 1
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 2 hr Zioni 68,043
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 4 hr Mister Tonka 97,562
•••

Beach Hazards Statement for Cook County was issued at July 28 at 9:22AM CDT

•••
•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••