pde

Palatine, IL

#41 Nov 1, 2012
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
You're hung up on this suit business. For me, a jacket and tie qualifies as "semi formal." I don't know why you think that wouldn't be appropriate for a wedding reception.
It would depend on the reception and the dress code. Semiformal (evening), jacket and tie, jacket does not necessarily have to be part of a full, matching suit but a standard wool suit is a step up. Semiformal (day), I'd say you can ditch the jacket as long as you have a nice dress shirt and dressy pants.

Black tie, pants and jacket must be part of a matching suit, preferably tailored with decorative/contrasting/silk lapels.

White tie, tuxedo required.

And once again, that's why it sounds like the letter writer is actually confused, or the person who gave him the instructions on dress code is confused. Someone said semiformal but the instructions given are seem to indicate at least black tie.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#42 Nov 1, 2012
As for the poll.

A nice pair of Dockers and a collared Guy Harvey, is suitable for anything. If you want to dress it up further put on a Tommy Bahama.
pde

Palatine, IL

#43 Nov 1, 2012
Lovely. Now that I look it up, my head starts to hurt.

So, my definition of nice, tailored suit is DAY/AFTERNOON black tie, while Red's definition of tux is EVENING black tie. But they are both in true etiquette referred to as semiformal, although in US casual usage, semiformal is starting to develop it own category separate from black tie.

Someone's drinking the etiquette guide kool-aid.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#44 Nov 1, 2012
Oldest son died around age 50.

"All three children have also passed away over the years. The oldest son died three years ago."

This implies that the other two died before the oldest son.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Melrose Park, IL

#45 Nov 1, 2012
Maybe we're just hung up on terms. For me, a tux is a "black tie" affair, "formal" would be a suit, "semi formal" means a button down shirt and maybe a tie.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#46 Nov 1, 2012
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
You're hung up on this suit business. For me, a jacket and tie qualifies as "semi formal." I don't know why you think that wouldn't be appropriate for a wedding reception.
I'm not really hung up on anything, just tring to establish a basis for your comments cause they seem inconsistent to what LW said. LW said he does not have clothes for a semi-formal event. To me, that means he has no suit. So for you to say not having clothes for a semi formal event means all he has are shorts, is a big leap. I've just been trying to figure out what you consider "nice clothes".

To me, a jacket and tie is almost the same as a suit and I don't consider eaither to be a requirement to be dressed in "nice clothes".

You mentioned "nice clothes" along with things like Christmas dinner and Thanksgiving dinner. In 41 years, I've never been to a Christmas dinner or Thanksgiving dinner where anyone was wearing a suit OR a jacket, but I would still classify the general attire worn as "nice clothes", so I think this is the missing link.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#47 Nov 1, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I just read this week that the same thing has happened with home design. We used to have two living rooms -- a formal one for when company came over, no TV, and another one -- a family room, with comfy furniture, TV, etc. Most new homes aren't being designed that way anymore.
When we bought our house, one room was listed as the "great room". Another listed as the "living room".

My wife looked at the living room and said, "this would be a good place for a pool table."

:)

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#48 Nov 1, 2012
edogxxx wrote:
Maybe we're just hung up on terms.
Yes.
edogxxx wrote:
For me, a tux is a "black tie" affair, "formal" would be a suit, "semi formal" means a button down shirt and maybe a tie.
To me, if the word formal is included, so is a jacket.

Shirt and tie does not = Semi formal to me.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#49 Nov 1, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Technically, formal = WHITE TAILS, semi-formal = black tux.
Nick's not buying or renting a tux for someone's wedding unless he's IN it. It's just not gonna happen.
Really? Formal is white tails and semi-formal is black tux?

I always thought white tails were worn in "White Tie" events and black tuxedos for all other formal events.

Semi-formal to me is a suit and tie.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#50 Nov 1, 2012
I watch way too much HGTV and I think everyone is going for the "open concept" now with no big walls between the kitchen/living area/dining and straight out to the back.

I like it. I understand it.

You would think it would also be cheaper to build, but maybe not. I know you'd need more "headers" that could hold the load from up above so maybe that takes the savings of the walls.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#51 Nov 1, 2012
Mister Tonka wrote:
You mentioned "nice clothes" along with things like Christmas dinner and Thanksgiving dinner. In 41 years, I've never been to a Christmas dinner or Thanksgiving dinner where anyone was wearing a suit OR a jacket, but I would still classify the general attire worn as "nice clothes", so I think this is the missing link.
Dickie always wears a shirt and tie to Christmas dinner. He likes to show off his non-obnoxious holiday neckwear.

And he's still trying to show my mother that he's good enough for me. She was very nasty to him when we first started dating and he's never really gotten over it.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#52 Nov 1, 2012
Toj wrote:
I watch way too much HGTV and I think everyone is going for the "open concept" now with no big walls between the kitchen/living area/dining and straight out to the back.
You would think it would also be cheaper to build, but maybe not. I know you'd need more "headers" that could hold the load from up above so maybe that takes the savings of the walls.
I HATE the open living room/dining room layout. In fact, when we were looking at houses, the alone would eliminate a house from further consideration. However, a clear line of sight from the kitchen to the living/tv room was a requirement.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#53 Nov 1, 2012
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text> I HATE the open living room/dining room layout. In fact, when we were looking at houses, the alone would eliminate a house from further consideration. However, a clear line of sight from the kitchen to the living/tv room was a requirement.
I love it in houses I could never afford. I have a relative with such a house. It's beautifully done.

In any house I could afford it would look like I didn't have money for more rooms. LOL

“reign in blood”

Melrose Park, IL

#54 Nov 1, 2012
Toj wrote:
Semi-formal to me is a suit and tie.
This is our hang up, then. I don't consider a suit and tie "semi formal." When I say "nice" clothes, you think I mean suit and tie. No.

Since: Mar 09

Miami, FL

#55 Nov 1, 2012
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>When we bought our house, one room was listed as the "great room". Another listed as the "living room".
My wife looked at the living room and said, "this would be a good place for a pool table."
:)
That's what I said when we bought the house a few years ago. Jasper talked me out of it because he said people usually end up hardly using them (we're not party-throwers). Good thing, now, since we would have had to get rid of it anyway when we dumped the house.

“It made sense at the time....”

Itasca, IL

#56 Nov 1, 2012
re Poll - suit adn tie for hubby and nice office-wear for me for funerals (or i'll do the nicer end of office casual and go right after work for a wake). Weddings are suit and tie for hubby and a nice skirt/top for me. i'm off balance, so dresses don't usually work for me. my dressiest outfit happens to be black, but depending on who's getting married, when (afternoon/evening), and where (church/formal venue or outside), i'll look for soemthng else.

i'll have to look for a new dressy outfit sooner or later; it's 4 years old and made the rounds, at least on my side of the family.

“reign in blood”

Melrose Park, IL

#57 Nov 1, 2012
Toj wrote:
How is this relevant to our discussion?

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#58 Nov 1, 2012
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
That's what I said when we bought the house a few years ago. Jasper talked me out of it because he said people usually end up hardly using them (we're not party-throwers). Good thing, now, since we would have had to get rid of it anyway when we dumped the house.
We used it...till we had kids. Now that room is overrun with toys. I put up with turning it into a toy room cause they were too young for me to be comfortable leaving them alone upstairs in their room. Wanted them nearby while playing with toys. Now they are both pretty much at an age where I am ok with them being alone upstairs whil I am downstais. I need to start pushing to get that room cleaned out of kid's toys and back into the Man Room.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#59 Nov 1, 2012
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
This is our hang up, then. I don't consider a suit and tie "semi formal." When I say "nice" clothes, you think I mean suit and tie. No.
My head hurts -- you're confusing me.

What are nice clothes, then? Dockers?

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#60 Nov 1, 2012
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
How is this relevant to our discussion?
You obviously missed Tonka's post. C'mon! Keep up!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Grey Ghostmoron 1,417,212
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 9 min Rogue Scholar 05 222,282
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 41 min Enough Said 60,995
last post wins! (Dec '10) 1 hr Red_Forman 2,405
last post wins! (Apr '13) 1 hr Red_Forman 1,434
Chicago has the Worst Women 5 hr Worst Woman 50
Social Security 5 hr Try No1 2
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 16 hr Go Blue Forever 103,417

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages