Double Coconut palm dies at Garfield Park Conservatory.

Posted in the Chicago Forum

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 5 of5
Freqent visitor

Cicero, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2012

As if the damage from last year's hailstorm wasn't bad enough, the Garfield Park Conservatory has lost an extremely valuable part of it's plant collection; the famous Double Coconut Palm. At 53 years old, the Double Coconut Palm had just barely even started forming a trunk when it's center frond simply dried up, crinkled, and wilted. The palm tree was germinated from seed in 1959, which is an extremely tedious task as a mature Double Coconut palm seed takes up to 2 to 3 years to germinate. The Double Coconut Palm is also an extremely slow grower; in fact, it produces just 1 frond per roughly 8 months! It does, however, reach up to 100+ feet tall with up to a 35+ foot spread.
Mary Conserv Director

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2012

FYI We are working fervently to determine what is going on with the Double Coconut Palm in order to save it. The rapid decline of its newest leaf has been met with several measures, including soil and tissue sample analysis and consultations with worldwide palm experts. We love this plant and are doing everything we can to keep it alive.
Frequent visitor

Cicero, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2012

Therefore, all nurseries worldwide be advised, the Garfield Park Conservatory in Chicago, Illinois, USA, will need a new Double Coconut palm to plant in their collection. Donations of any seed and/or germinated Double Coconut Palm plant material to the Conservatory will be highly appreciated.
Frequent visitor

Cicero, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2012

By the way, for everyone's info, the Double Coconut Palm is also commonly known as a Coco-de-mer (Lodoicea maldivica).
Frequent visitor

Cicero, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2013

As it appears, a new Double Coconut seed has been planted and is, as of now, incubating awaiting germination time. Will it germinate? Only time will tell.

It's weird, but it seems as though nobody else seems to ever wanted to try and grow the Double Coconut Palm in the United States. I know of a couple areas in the USA where the Double Coconut Palm is likely to flourish, including the lower Florida Keys (from around Bahia Honda State Park to Key West), and Hawaii. I am also sure it would grow very well in the Caribbean, such as in Puerto Rico, the US Virgin Islands, and of course not to mention St Martin, Aruba, Jamaica, and Turks and Caicos. I also bet it would grow really nicely on Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula, especially in and near the vicinities of Cancun and Merida.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 5 of5
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

41 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min new yawk 1,072,906
Ask Amy 7-13-14 6 min Cass 2
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 7 min Atticus Tiberius Finch 173,755
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 11 min Le Jimbo 45,574
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 17 min TRD 67,548
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 25 min PEllen 97,458
Abby 7-13-14 38 min PEllen 1
•••
•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000