WMVP ousts longtime host Dan McNeil

WMVP ousts longtime host Dan McNeil

There are 188 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jan 16, 2009, titled WMVP ousts longtime host Dan McNeil. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Dan McNeil's tempestuous run at WMVP-AM 1000 came to an abrupt, uncharacteristically quiet end after his Friday afternoon broadcast, the station confirmed.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 10
Next Last
Lwood

Western Springs, IL

#1 Jan 17, 2009
Now what do I listen to for Sports in the Afternoon Drive? Boers and Bernstein are rude, obnoxious and unlistenable and Carmen Defalco is a dud, Harry and Jurko, can't imagine them carrying the show....looks like the CD Player is going to get a workout.

Why didn't they just ask him to take a paycut? That's probably as much of it as anything in the current economic climate...maybe if they had a better Sales Staff they could still afford him?

Good luck Danny....
jeffm

Burnsville, MN

#2 Jan 17, 2009
Unbelievable! They get rid of the talent and keep the nitwit and the apologist.
Mike

Gilberts, IL

#3 Jan 17, 2009
I agree Lwood...I can't stand Boers and Bernstein and I am not a fan of Carmen. Should have cut Harry instead...I am done w/ WMVP,bring on WIND.
Sal

Chicago, IL

#4 Jan 17, 2009
Lughead racist Dan McNeil made over $600K a year? Absolutely sickening.
Moon

Rockford, IL

#5 Jan 17, 2009
At least McNeil will now have time to press his sheets and work on his trailer.
KW Fan

Lake Forest, IL

#6 Jan 17, 2009
1 down, 2 to go, to start. Well done, the dumbing down of Chicago radio just took a very small hit, but there is much more work to be done.
Rich

New Lenox, IL

#7 Jan 17, 2009
Get satellite radio.
hoosier1fan

Chicago, IL

#8 Jan 17, 2009
I hate to see a Ball state alum lose a job, muncie has suffered enuff already. Bored and bumstead are not sports fans, but think they are philosophers,its sad, the $$$ talk for sure
One Eye Covered

Wheeling, IL

#9 Jan 17, 2009
Mac is the straw that stirs the drink. Without him, that first sip is either going to be very strong, ka-ka-ka-ka, or, more likely, very weak and watery. DeFalco? The drink just got boring. MVP will be wincing the next time the local ratings are anounced. As for B&B, the fact that they suffer no fools gladly is ok in my book.
Hardliner

Saint Paul, MN

#10 Jan 17, 2009
This is a microcosm of what is happening throughout corporate America. The workers that actually are responsible for the success of the product are being cut loose to purge salaries and benefits while the inept executives continue getting paid for doing little more than running the companies into the ground. My guess is that you will see Danny back on The Score with his own show.
Syscokid

Austin, TX

#11 Jan 17, 2009
I'm sorry to see Mac get the ax... I was a big fan of him and the crew. I would often listen to them via the internet when I traveled for work.

After seeing Mac get 600k a year, I think I took the career path. I know what he does is not easy, but for 600k a year, I'm willing to learn!

Looks like it’s time to move Waddle & Silvy to the afternoon drive and retire Mac, Jurko & Harry show. They often talk about staying in the game to long after needing to retire. The ax has been dropped and it’s time to move on.

Best of luck guys!

“Stimulate THIS!”

Since: Aug 08

West Frankfort, IL

#12 Jan 17, 2009
Don't feel sorry for this boob....he can sit on his keyster for 5 months and still get his huge paycheck......Mac, I liked your show whenever I was in Chicago but you were severely overpaid. Now maybe North will have him on his show like Mac had him on his show to tell "his side"; an exit interview if you will.
Bob Kociolek

Chicago, IL

#13 Jan 17, 2009
Ding dong the bully is dead. And good riddance. Take some anger management therapy. Try being grateful for once that you have a great job. Stop fighting with your peers and bosses. As someone who got laid off from my job, I have zero tolerance for highly paid shock jocks who don't know where to draw the line with common courtesy. Now I can listen to 1000 again when B&B are on commercial.
Somewhere I'm guessing Jill McNeil is laughing. A divorce from Dan McNeil is always a good idea.
Jose

Chicago, IL

#14 Jan 17, 2009
Lwood wrote:
Now what do I listen to for Sports in the Afternoon Drive? Boers and Bernstein are rude, obnoxious and unlistenable and Carmen Defalco is a dud, Harry and Jurko, can't imagine them carrying the show....looks like the CD Player is going to get a workout.
Why didn't they just ask him to take a paycut? That's probably as much of it as anything in the current economic climate...maybe if they had a better Sales Staff they could still afford him?
Good luck Danny....
Am I the only one who found MJH unbearable? It sounded like they all had one-line zingers written before the show and delivered them as quickly as possible. Just a horrible show.
I love the Boers and Bernstein show. Say what you will, but they don't dumb it down for all the dumb meatball sports fans. I get a kick when the meatballs are called for the idiots that they are.
Fashion Police

Chicago, IL

#15 Jan 17, 2009
Dang, he was the glue that held that crew together and the reason I loved listening while at work. Wow, now I have to find a new place to guide my mouse.

I can't be mad at him for his $600K per year; ESPN was the one that said OK to that amount.

Best wishes to you and your family--hope to hear you soon somewhere else on the dial.
richinkinc Homewood IL

AOL

#16 Jan 17, 2009
Too bad for the local programming of "The Eastern See-bored Network". I wasn't the biggest fan of Mac but the way the radio biz is heading I will seek other alternatives. I don't even think "The Heavy Fuel Crew" could be ressurrected because Boers is a grumpy old bastard who doesn't like anything except nostalgic baseball lore.
Boers, McNeil, North, Jiggetts, Greenberg, Offman, Hubner, "The Bear & The Bull" what the hell happened?
Your audience changes every 15 minutes whoa. Those were the days!
Oh and don't forget the carnage in Chicago Radio of 2008 Dahl, Odell, Eddie & Jobo, North, Hubner. Did I miss any?
Mike From Plainfield

Plainfield, IL

#17 Jan 17, 2009
As Bruce Weber would say "Who Cares?" They Boys are a cross between sports talk and intelligent conversation and if that's not what you like you can always listen to something else. We need to start a campaign to get Murph axed next...his show needs to fail M-C-F-A-I-L now!
Luke

Worth, IL

#18 Jan 17, 2009
Jose wrote:
<quoted text>
Am I the only one who found MJH unbearable? It sounded like they all had one-line zingers written before the show and delivered them as quickly as possible. Just a horrible show.
I love the Boers and Bernstein show. Say what you will, but they don't dumb it down for all the dumb meatball sports fans. I get a kick when the meatballs are called for the idiots that they are.
He speaks the truth. The MJH show was always a little too cute and bland and safe for my taste. Boers and Bernstein are awesome. Yes, they can be rude and offensive, but they would agree with those characterizations and make no apologies for them. They are also irreverent and original in a positive way. And they don't ascribe to the standard, banal script of most sports radio.

The difference between MJH and B&B is a little like the difference between Leno and Letterman, in my opinion. The former is closer to the safety of the middle and the latter is closer to the edge, taking more risks, and is inherently more interesting.

But there is no accounting for taste, as they say...
Dobbs Fox

San Jose, CA

#19 Jan 17, 2009
"I know what he does is not easy, but for 600k a year, I'm willing to learn!"

Actually, what he does is VERY easy when you compare it to just about any other job that pays a lot less.

All he has to do is sit on his ass for four hours, talk about sports, and eat the free food his sponsors provide.

I've always wondered why he went out of his way to make such a cushy gig so difficult for people around him. I don't wish him ill will, but I don't feel sorry for him, either. He made his bosses' decision easier with his antics over the years.
EHS

Hanover Park, IL

#20 Jan 17, 2009
It is sad to see the Mac Jurko and Harry show broken up, but the show really has been a shell of itself for the last couple of years. Harry's jokes aren't that funny anymore and McNeil became a bit pompous and (more) arrogant. I think that Mac lost touch with the reality of who his audience is. In general, his audience are average, middle class guys. Hearing him talk about his hall of fame room with 10 flat screen TV's and other luxuries was a turn off and I had found myself tuning out more often than tuning in. It is great that Mac was successful and has a very nice life, but the listeners did't constantly need to be reminded of his wealth and his possessions. As time went on, it seemed as if the show talked less about sports and more about minutia. I wish Mac nothing but the best, but the show had gotten stale. In the end, this will be good for everyone. It was a good run, but all good things must come to an end...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Yeah 1,383,775
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 7 min Chief 59,533
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 9 min Jacques in Orleans 214,569
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 52 min SweLL GirL 8,446
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 55 min Ize Found 70,608
Word (Dec '08) 1 hr GEORGIA 6,174
Double Word Game (Dec '11) 1 hr GEORGIA 2,443
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 20 hr Sublime1 102,044
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages