Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

RACE wrote:
<quoted text>all except for the drinking and smoking part, I find it all very strange indeed!
Lol!

“Licensed to Ill”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>She put them there... and forgot about them... and went looking for a pen or something and discovered them.

A can opener is HEAVY so I don't know how she missed that, but this friend's purses always feel like she's carrying a cinder block.
As if that wasn't odd enough, I'm gonna pretend it was an electric one with a cord.

Race is probably like Sublime, i don't get that - it's not weird to carry an electric can opener in your purse!

:)
pde

Gilberts, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

Judged:

j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
She put them there... and forgot about them... and went looking for a pen or something and discovered them.
A can opener is HEAVY so I don't know how she missed that, but this friend's purses always feel like she's carrying a cinder block.
Yeah, I don't put food in there that is spoilable, since I have no idea when it's actually going to come out. Squished up packaged granola bars are still edible.

A hard-boiled egg? Bad idea.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

You are the one labeling it a "Security Blanket" I dont think the LW called it that. She carries it because she likes having the visual reminder of her mother, not to help her cope with anxiety or stress.

How about we call it an heirloom? Is she allowed to keep an heirloom in her purse? Does it matter that this heirloom is cloth instead of gold?
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I never said jewelry can't have any emotional attachment. I never said she can't have an emotional attachment to her blanket. I said its weird to carry a "security blanket" with you everywhere you go in your purse.

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

It's called a satchel!
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not making it weird. Go get a man purse and carry a baby blanket around in it and tell everyone you meet that you carry a baby security blanket in your man purse and ask them if they think it's weird. I'm pretty sure almost everyone would think you strange and you wouldn't be getting any second dates.

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

Actually I have a can opener on my key ring...P38
Never know when your gonna need to open a can of sea-rats again.
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
As if that wasn't odd enough, I'm gonna pretend it was an electric one with a cord.
Race is probably like Sublime, i don't get that - it's not weird to carry an electric can opener in your purse!

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

RACE wrote:
Actually I have a can opener on my key ring...P38
Never know when your gonna need to open a can of sea-rats again.
<quoted text>
I have one of the P38s that the GoodEx took and brought back from Viet Nam on my keys.

Since: Mar 09

Boynton Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

This can opener was the kind with handles and you crank the metal part with your hand. Not electric, but not small.

Yeah, the egg was gross. We drew a face on it, took a picture, and posted it on Facebook. I'm sure it goes without saying that we were at a bar when this happened.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

Sublime1 wrote:
I doubt I would ever marry someone with such a lack of coping skills such that they needed to carry a "security blanket" with them everywhere.
that's notthe option I presented you with. LW's husband did not know she carried it. She just mentioned it to him and her friends. They're already married. So, Mrs. Sublime tells you she's got a baby blanket that she carries in her purse as a reminder of her dead mom. You're already married. What do you do? You encourage her to stop. She says, "No. Its not a big deal." What do you do? Does this become a big focus for you? Getting her to stop.

I think carrying the blanket with her is a bit odd, but it would not bother me at all. As Angela said, we all do things that others might consider odd. I just don't think this odd little quirk is worth more than a shrug.

“Licensed to Ill”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

RACE wrote:
You are the one labeling it a "Security Blanket" I dont think the LW called it that. She carries it because she likes having the visual reminder of her mother, not to help her cope with anxiety or stress.
How about we call it an heirloom? Is she allowed to keep an heirloom in her purse? Does it matter that this heirloom is cloth instead of gold?
<quoted text>
Iím NOT the one who labeled it a security blanket. The LW specifically says:ďIs a SECURITY BLANKET normal for someone my age,Ē and she even signs her letter MRS. LINUS IN TEXAS.

She also asks if itís normal. Itís NOT. Boom, end of story.

“Licensed to Ill”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>that's notthe option I presented you with. LW's husband did not know she carried it. She just mentioned it to him and her friends. They're already married. So, Mrs. Sublime tells you she's got a baby blanket that she carries in her purse as a reminder of her dead mom. You're already married. What do you do? You encourage her to stop. She says, "No. Its not a big deal." What do you do? Does this become a big focus for you? Getting her to stop.
I think carrying the blanket with her is a bit odd, but it would not bother me at all. As Angela said, we all do things that others might consider odd. I just don't think this odd little quirk is worth more than a shrug.
You donít have to present it to me. That someone who needs to carry around a security blanket in their purse everywhere they go would have issues besides this, comes with the territory. Am I supposed to ignore comment sense in your option? Yes, she mentions that she has friends and EVEN they said she is immature. Is it logical for me to presume that she is the most mature woman on the planet and they are basing this opinion alone on the fact that she is a weirdo who carries a security blankey with her everywhere, or is it logical for me to presume that her friends have stated this, not just based on this but on other behaviors? If you donít think someone who has to carry a blankey with them everywhere might not be immature in other regards, I have a bridge to sell you.

As I said, if I somehow ignored that she had a lack of coping skills and whatever else went along with this and married her, I would diplomatically encourage my wife to stop carrying a security blanket and suggest that she learn to cope on her own. If she refused, that would be her choice to make.

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

You are taking the sentence out of context. Lets put it back in

Abby, now I feel insecure and childish....

NOW she feels that way, after the taunts of her husband and friends. Never before had she felt that way.

So she plays into the stereotype and sign herself linus, big deal.
That was not how she envisioned what she was doing, but now its twisted.
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Iím NOT the one who labeled it a security blanket. The LW specifically says:ďIs a SECURITY BLANKET normal for someone my age,Ē and she even signs her letter MRS. LINUS IN TEXAS.
She also asks if itís normal. Itís NOT. Boom, end of story.

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

And you would just call her crackers.
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
If she refused, that would be her choice to make.

“Licensed to Ill”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

Judged:

RACE wrote:
You are taking the sentence out of context. Lets put it back in
Abby, now I feel insecure and childish....
NOW she feels that way, after the taunts of her husband and friends. Never before had she felt that way.
So she plays into the stereotype and sign herself linus, big deal.
That was not how she envisioned what she was doing, but now its twisted.
<quoted text>
Whatever you say, Dr. Phil.

:p

“Licensed to Ill”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

RACE wrote:
And you would just call her crackers.
<quoted text>
I didn't say that.

In the future I might tease her about it, in a good natured way. I tease Bambi sometimes, about things that are between only her and me. Bambi can laugh at herself, tho. If I were married to the baby LW, she'd probably have a melt down if I did that.

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2012

Ha!
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Whatever you say, Dr. Phil.
:p

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

66 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 5 min Dick face Durbin 48,889
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 8 min USAsince1680 1,079,655
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 39 min Milsack 174,600
One kilometre high and counting (Jul '07) 54 min TW_sugar_daddio 10
Amy 7-24 1 hr loose cannon 19
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 1 hr andet1987 4,554
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 1 hr JOEL 68,371
Abby 7-24 1 hr Pippa 42
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 4 hr Mister Tonka 97,524
•••
•••
•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters