Comments
41 - 60 of 63 Comments Last updated Nov 9, 2012
pde

Homer Glen, IL

#41 Nov 8, 2012
I've just noticed it because I've always wondered by the card readers can't automatically tell whether it's EBT or debit/credit. The debit or credit option makes sense, because the ATM cards tagged with credit logos are dual-network cards that can be used on either, so the person needs to select.

I wouldn't have the faintest idea that the person in front of me in line used an EBT card at any of the places where I regularly buy groceries.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#42 Nov 8, 2012
Matilda77 wrote:
Our EBT readers are the same as the debit/credit cards.
Some of this might be Illinois-specific or outdated technology but:
WIC is specific vouchers for a few items at a time. Really specific on what you can and cannot get, like two cans of baby formula or a gallon of milk, a dozen eggs, a brick of cheese, and some dried beans. LINK or food stamps is a card that looks like a debit card. They can put food stamps on there and money. So, with one card, they can have $200 in food stamps and $200 in cash benefits that they can get out at the ATM or use for purchases.
And yeah, it got old, as a cashier, seeing the obvious abuse of the system. I finally just had to stop thinking about it entirely.
I think I recall maybe ONE person ever getting groceries with food stamps that I thought weren't an appropriate way to spend the money. Other than that, everyone else who used food stamps was buying hamburger in bulk and big bags of rice, etc.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#43 Nov 8, 2012
RACE wrote:
How can I go about buying a wic card?
<quoted text>
You would have to be a woman, infant or child.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#44 Nov 8, 2012
pde wrote:
I wouldn't have the faintest idea that the person in front of me in line used an EBT card at any of the places where I regularly buy groceries.
Well, if they dress with a lot of name brand stuff, have their nails and hair done impeccably, have the latest phone, have a cart full of expensive, unhealthy food, AND it's on or near the first of the month...

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#45 Nov 8, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I think I recall maybe ONE person ever getting groceries with food stamps that I thought weren't an appropriate way to spend the money. Other than that, everyone else who used food stamps was buying hamburger in bulk and big bags of rice, etc.
Oh, god. King crab legs, birthday cakes, junk food, junk food, junk food, next to nothing that was actually on sale. It was insane. And I'm not trying to be a jerk, it was just hard not to notice.

J grew up on stamps, and he said everything they bought was name brand and not particularly healthy.
Sam I Am

Knoxville, TN

#46 Nov 8, 2012
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
Is mental status sufficient?

I kid, I kid!
pde

Homer Glen, IL

#47 Nov 8, 2012
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, if they dress with a lot of name brand stuff, have their nails and hair done impeccably, have the latest phone, have a cart full of expensive, unhealthy food, AND it's on or near the first of the month...
That describes nearly everyone I see at the grocery store.

Location hidden

#48 Nov 8, 2012
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, god. King crab legs, birthday cakes, junk food, junk food, junk food, next to nothing that was actually on sale. It was insane. And I'm not trying to be a jerk, it was just hard not to notice.
J grew up on stamps, and he said everything they bought was name brand and not particularly healthy.
That would have made me ragey -- I'm glad I had minimal exposure to that.
pde

Homer Glen, IL

#49 Nov 8, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
That would have made me ragey -- I'm glad I had minimal exposure to that.
The weirdest thing I ever ran across in a grocery store was more sad than ragey. A few years back, I was standing in line at my local grocery and must have kind of reacted or something to the cart in front of me, which was completely overflowing with a whole bunch of a particular type of smoothy juice in containers. The older woman pushing the cart decided to start telling me that she had determined through research that the smoothy juice had everything she needed nutritionally and that what was in her cart was enough for a whole month. She said that she'd been "eating" this way for about a year. I kind of blinked at her, speechless, and then the woman behind me spoke up and started very kindly asking her about her research and such.

The woman behind me also very quietly asked me to stick around for a few minutes because the older woman seemed willing to talk to me and she needed to try to get information from her. The woman behind me turned out to be a county social worker who worked primarily with the protection of the elderly. She and I managed to get contact information out of the smoothy juice woman, and the social worker told me that she was going to see what sort of followup and evaluation she could get set up.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#50 Nov 8, 2012
I am my mothers child and she is deceased.
Whats next?
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#51 Nov 8, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
EBT cards, most likely. WIC is a program for low-income single parents: Children must be in the household in order to participate in the program (and that program limits the foods allowed--no junk food, for instance).
It does more than limit it, it specifies exactly what is allowed, down to the size of packages allowed. Milk, cereal, cheeses, etc, and ONLY what is specified is allowed, no substitutions.
And here you must also show ID with the wic vouchers.
Uncle R

Conshohocken, PA

#52 Nov 8, 2012
Matilda77 wrote:
Our EBT readers are the same as the debit/credit cards.
Some of this might be Illinois-specific or outdated technology but:
WIC is specific vouchers for a few items at a time. Really specific on what you can and cannot get, like two cans of baby formula or a gallon of milk, a dozen eggs, a brick of cheese, and some dried beans. LINK or food stamps is a card that looks like a debit card. They can put food stamps on there and money. So, with one card, they can have $200 in food stamps and $200 in cash benefits that they can get out at the ATM or use for purchases.
And yeah, it got old, as a cashier, seeing the obvious abuse of the system. I finally just had to stop thinking about it entirely.
Then they go and steal through the check yourself aisle passing goods , causing confusion and making it all look innocent . Then I get milk dropped off at my home because they cant drink all they are allowed. Its a freakin racket but what the hell, they throw all the veggies away just to have fresh ones the next day. They go out of their way to shop where they can get away with it easier .

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#53 Nov 8, 2012
The thing is we'd probably never notice the people who are using it correctly. You just wouldn't notice.

What I really dislike are people selling what's on their Link cards to buy drugs and liquor and what not. What are you going to do though?

They should have some sort of a hot line. I think people get ticked off enough that they would use it if you could do it anonymously. I guess if you say what store and the time of day they could track it, but that would probably cost a lot.

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

#54 Nov 8, 2012
No easy answers.

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

#55 Nov 8, 2012
Thought this was interesting.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/taxes/grapes.a...
Uncle R

Conshohocken, PA

#56 Nov 8, 2012
They noticed when I screwed up in the quick check out line and held everyone up trying to be honest because two items didn't have a bar code and she only charged for one . It got more confusing when the auto talker told me to remove it from the bag . First time , next will never happen.

“On Deck”

Since: Aug 08

French Polynesia

#57 Nov 8, 2012
I know. I have seen for myself the overflowing baskets of goodies in the grocery store late in the evenings around the 1st of the month.
Those people eat more food than do I. And they have more junk in the trunk too.
But as you know, it is programs such as food stamps that keep the slums of Calcutta and Bombay from visiting the shores of America.

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Des Plaines, IL

#58 Nov 8, 2012
NWmoon wrote:
<quoted text>It does more than limit it, it specifies exactly what is allowed, down to the size of packages allowed. Milk, cereal, cheeses, etc, and ONLY what is specified is allowed, no substitutions.
And here you must also show ID with the wic vouchers.
our dominicks/safeway has tags on the shelf saying WIC Approved by the cereal and other stuff... i haven't paid enough attention to the specifics.

Location hidden

#59 Nov 8, 2012
I want deserving people to get help. But I think we need to spend money on fraud investigation and prosecution. I think in the long run, that will save money.

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Des Plaines, IL

#60 Nov 8, 2012
ive had more problems dodging old folks when i go shopping... the stores i go to must be closer to senior housing than to low income housing. there are trips when it seems like half the other shoppers are in the rascals or leaning on the cart to keep them upright. and the slooooow walking... just cant' get aroudn them without knocking htem over!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 2 min Brian_G 46,308
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 15 min Patrick 1,100,151
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 45 min LRS 177,370
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 45 min Sublime1 97,932
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 1 hr voice of peace 68,367
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 1 hr JOEL 68,977
Review: Anthony D S Grill (Jan '14) 2 hr peter osterman 7
Abby 8-29 2 hr Julie 10
Amy 8-29 5 hr Kuuipo 13
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search