First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#42 Feb 27, 2013
What if the name had special meaning to the friend, separate from LW? Should she be banned from honoring someone she loves? Or maybe the name is special to the friend's husband? She didn't do anything wrong, and LW should be talking to her therapist about putting this in context.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#43 Feb 27, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
But he lives on here because you write about the bits of his life and we talk about him and you use his picture as an avatar occasionally.
We miss him with you and I think you know that.
Thank you for this. Made me cry a little bit...

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#44 Feb 27, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
But he lives on here because you write about the bits of his life and we talk about him and you use his picture as an avatar occasionally.
We miss him with you and I think you know that.
That was beautifully stated.

(((Mimi)))

Pittsburgh, PA

#45 Feb 27, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
My mom's cousin traced our Dutch ancestry back to the 1700s or so, and they used to re-use names within the same family over and over. Yanno, since they'd have like 15 babies and three of them would reach puberty. Baby girl A would die shortly after birth, the next year, they'd have another baby A, that one would live a year or so, die, then the next baby would have the same name.
Creepy and sad at the same time. I don't know how people functioned with that much loss in their lives.
Actually, some of them *didn't* function all that well. People "back in the olden days" still got depressed, went crazy, drank themselves to death, abused their families, etc. We may TALK about it more now, and it's more unusual to lose a child (or a mom in childbirth!) these days due to advances in medical care, but people are still people. Tragedy touches us all, famous and not. Lincoln had a son die during his presidency, and so did JFK 100 years later, well into my lifetime. A good friend of mine lost 3 (preemie twins and a SIDS death) plus a late traumatic miscarriage, and she went on to have 3 healthy kids -- but she still carries the sadness of the others.

My former husband's grandma, the mother of the 2 Dominics and 2 Elijahs -- well, she died about a year before we met, so I never knew her. And everyone, including my MIL, her own daughter, told me how lucky I was for that. Because she was a mean, nasty, disturbed old woman who hated everyone, abused her family (especially my MIL, her only daughter), and just generally tried to make everyone as miserable as she was. And she would have especially hated me because I'm not Italian! Note, of her 4 surviving children, only one (Dominic II) married an Italian! But when you look back on what she went through in her life, yeesh, she survived some terrible things! Including the loss of at least 2 sons, one of whom died under absolutely horrific circumstances.
(Spoiler Space for the Squeamish)
You've heard stories of pigs attacking and killing babies and small children? Not just stories! It got into the kitchen where Baby Dom was in his cradle while Mama was working outside, and by the time she found him it was all over {{shudder}}

And she lived with the memory of that horror, and went on to come to the US, have more kids, etc. And she went crazy. I'm still sort of relieved that I never knew her, but I certainly have compassion for what she went through.

When we read letters from folks with mean, abusive, crazy old parents and relatives, I often wonder what those people went through in their lives to make them so.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#46 Feb 28, 2013
VAdame wrote:
You've heard stories of pigs attacking and killing babies and small children? Not just stories! It got into the kitchen where Baby Dom was in his cradle while Mama was working outside, and by the time she found him it was all over {{shudder}}
And she lived with the memory of that horror, and went on to come to the US, have more kids, etc. And she went crazy. I'm still sort of relieved that I never knew her, but I certainly have compassion for what she went through.
When we read letters from folks with mean, abusive, crazy old parents and relatives, I often wonder what those people went through in their lives to make them so.
I've never heard of them attacking babies/kids per se, but that a *sow*(more so than a boar) will kill someone if she feels her babies are threatened, like my neighbor's uncle (elderly) who fell over the fence and the sows killed him. And ate much of him.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#47 Feb 28, 2013
I would hate to get eaten by my breakfast.

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I've never heard of them attacking babies/kids per se, but that a *sow*(more so than a boar) will kill someone if she feels her babies are threatened, like my neighbor's uncle (elderly) who fell over the fence and the sows killed him. And ate much of him.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#48 Feb 28, 2013
RACE wrote:
I would hate to get eaten by my breakfast.
<quoted text>
HA!

I worked on a pig farm when I was 16 and those sows were VERY different -- very docile and domesticated to the point where i could pick up their newborn piglets to move them out of the sun and into the shade (or into the farrowing house if possible). And the sows were fine with it. The most dangerous time was feeding time just b/c I might get knocked to the ground as they crowded around to get fed. I carried a 2x4 and all I had to do was raise it and they got out of the way, knowing they'd get smacked if they got too rough/close.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#49 Feb 28, 2013
Ewww! That would not be good to get eaten by a pig. Perhaps we need to rewriter Little Red Riding Hood. Maybe it's the three little pigs we should have worried about all these years instead of the big bad wolf.

Location hidden

#50 Feb 28, 2013
Toj wrote:
Ewww! That would not be good to get eaten by a pig. Perhaps we need to rewriter Little Red Riding Hood. Maybe it's the three little pigs we should have worried about all these years instead of the big bad wolf.
There's a pig in Little Red Riding Hood?

Guess I've only seen "adult" versions for the last several years, so maybe I'm forgetting something...

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#51 Feb 28, 2013
Sgt__Smith wrote:
<quoted text>There's a pig in Little Red Riding Hood?
Guess I've only seen "adult" versions for the last several years, so maybe I'm forgetting something...
Hahahahaha! It's been awhile since I had a young child around. I obviously screwed up. Let's see, Little Red Riding Hood visited grandma, right? The three little piggies made houses.

Pittsburgh, PA

#52 Feb 28, 2013
Toj wrote:
Ewww! That would not be good to get eaten by a pig.
Yeah. It chewed off his feet and he bled out before they could get help. This happened in the 1910s in Italy.

No wonder his mom went nuts :-( Her husband, my ex's grandpa, was a sweetheart BTW. But living with such a loss in your life, gotta be very hard.

Location hidden

#53 Feb 28, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Hahahahaha! It's been awhile since I had a young child around. I obviously screwed up. Let's see, Little Red Riding Hood visited grandma, right? The three little piggies made houses.
That's the way I remember them.

Well, not the adult versions...but the other ones!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min Yeah 1,114,992
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 30 min Rogue Scholar 05 178,582
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 31 min Patriot AKA Bozo 46,990
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 35 min PEllen 98,344
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr On Again Off Again 50,020
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 1 hr Eric 69,484
A short math question. I will reply with answer... 2 hr Whats the Bulb An... 8

Chicago Jobs

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]