Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2012

edogxxx wrote:
Personally, I don't think I would be comfortable living in such a high-security fortress. Am I going home or to a prison? Invite a friend over to watch the game and he has to pass through a security check-point? No thanks.
Dog- you realize it is not 4 guys on duty at the same time?

PDE is right. It is considered an amenity. Sometimes they actually do keep unauthorised people out, too

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2012

Kuuipo wrote:
LW1: Good advice from Amy.
LW2: At least your neighbor attempted to greet your mother, even though she did not remember your name. In Hawaii, the neighbor would have said, "Hi Auntie", which is the standard, respectful greeting for an older woman.
LW3: Good luck with that.
Auntie, is your name pronounced Kwee-po or Koo-oo-ee-po?

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2012

The mom is NOT owed an apology. Amy's wrong (big surprise!) about that. VA Dame got it right is should have been "Offspring's mom." OR...nothing at all but then the mom would have been slighted by that too.
Cass

Upland, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2012

pde wrote:
<quoted text>
It's fairly common in Chicago. Having worked in multifamily/condo real estate during my teens, it's more likely the nicer buildings in the safer neighborhoods which have the 24/7 doormen/security guards.
Security theater at its best.
Yep. It's the same situation in NYC, where I lived before moving out West. Mid-town and upper East Side - uniformed doormen.(Upper West Side, too) Up in Harlem and Washington Heights - maybe a lock on the front door. I lived on the south border of Harlem. I can't say I ever felt un-safe, but it was far from a posh area. We did have a "front-desk" person, but not a uniformed doorman.

“What's it to ya?”

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2012

1: I was married to this guy. When he does this stop speaking, as you say "go ahead, you tell it," gesture with your hand in an "after you" motion. Other people will take note of it and likely will react with "wait Mimi (insert your name here) was trying to say something." Rinse, repeat.

This will silence him and allow you to continue speaking. Also you will have the satisfaction of knowing that the listeners know that HE'S the asshat, not you.

“What's it to ya?”

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2012

3: I do a lot of work cleaning this house and no one is giving ME a Christmas/holiday bonus. GFY!
Kuuipo

Monterey, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2012

VoiceOfReezon wrote:
<quoted text>
Auntie, is your name pronounced Kwee-po or Koo-oo-ee-po?
Koo-oo-EE-po. It means "sweetheart." Don't know why I picked that handle, because my Hawaiian name is really Kapua. Kah-POO-uh, it means "the flower."

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2012

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
PDE is right. It is considered an amenity. Sometimes they actually do keep unauthorised people out, too
Still, not a reality I'm familiar with.

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Schaumburg, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2012

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm bettign they're kinda like the guys we have here at teh office... more to 'direct traffic' and get slightly amateur no-good-niks to go away than to really "defend the fortress"... our securty guys do property checks and probably report things taht need to be repaired wehn they find them.

for JMW - you're probably ok waiting until next year to get them something, unless maybe perhaps one of them was more helpful when you moved, then maybe a card or candy bar for him this year.
pde

Gilberts, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2012

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
In my experience, their primary function (Lincoln Park/near North) is calling cabs.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 30 of30
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

23 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 1 hr danetoo 67,858
One kilometre high and counting (Jul '07) 1 hr NITiN 4
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 hr shinningelectr0n 1,078,384
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 3 hr andet1987 4,543
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 3 hr andet1987 455
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 5 hr JOEL COOL DUDE 68,357
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 6 hr LRS 174,457
•••

Beach Hazards Statement for Cook County was issued at July 23 at 3:16AM CDT

•••
•••
•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Chicago Jobs

•••