Chicago bicyclists face daily perils ...

Chicago bicyclists face daily perils on crowded streets

There are 298 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Apr 17, 2009, titled Chicago bicyclists face daily perils on crowded streets. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Mary Pat Fabeck agonizes over the last minutes her 22-year-old son Tyler spent after being struck by a car while riding his bike in the Logan Square neighborhood a year ago.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

another

Hopkins, MN

#308 Apr 17, 2009
Winterbiker wrote:
<quoted text>Motorists kill someone in Chicago about weekly.
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text> Whoopsie! Somebody needs to reread the story.
"The Illinois Department of Transportation says 27 bicyclists were killed across the state in collisions with motor vehicles last year. " That's a LOT less than once a week and that's the WHOLE STATE!
Here are some stats from a recent report covering Illinois'(reported) crashes from 2004-2007:
- "Chicagoland has more than one traffic fatality every day." I guess this includes auto/auto
- "The chance of death from being hit at 40mph is almost three times that of being hit at 30mph."
- In 2007: 172 pedestrians were killed in Illinois, 110 in NE Illinois, 49 in the City of Chicago.
- In NE Illinois 30% of car/pedestrian crashes are hit-and-run

http://www.activetrans.org/sites/default/file...
john

Riverside, IL

#309 Apr 17, 2009
The police need to start ticketing careless and reckless bicyclists and pedestrians. Think of all the revenue.
Sturgis Drain

Chicago, IL

#310 Apr 18, 2009
April 20, 2008
FROM STNG WIRE REPORTS
A 22-year-old bicyclist was killed early Sunday when he was struck by a car in the Logan Square neighborhood on the Near Northwest Side, and police are urging city cyclists to use caution as the weather gets warmer and more people use bicycles to get around.

The incident happened about 1:15 a.m. in the 2300 block of West Logan Boulevard, when a man made a left-hand turn in front of a car near Western Avenue, a Shakespeare District police captain said.

Witnesses told police that the bike "came out of nowhere" and attempted to "beat the light," turning left on a yellow light in front of a Toyota Prius.

The bicyclist, identified as Tyler Fabeck, of 7900 block of N. Mozart St, was pronounced dead at Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center at 1:46 a.m., a spokesman for the Cook County Medical Examiner's office said.

The driver of the vehicle was cited for failure to reduce speed to avoid an accident, but police stressed the importance of cyclists following traffic signals and wearing proper safety gear.

The man was not wearing a helmet when he was struck, and head injuries are believed to be the cause of his death, police said. An autopsy is slated for Sunday afternoon.
JON WINDY

Alcabideche, Portugal

#311 Apr 18, 2009
Problem is not lack of bike lanes; Chicago's got 'em. CPD Problem is CPD's blatant and intentional lack of enforcement, especially its failure to chase away trucks blocking them. Reason: they're fellow Teamsters, ergo immutable. Even avoidable cyclist deaths and injuries cannot change things and neither da Mare nor his Sup will intervene. Sic transit!
jason fabeck

Cedar Lake, IN

#312 Apr 18, 2009
Jen wrote:
I too am sorry that this kid died; my brother is good friends with one of his siblings.
However, both drivers and cyclists need to pay more attention. Just this morning I saw a cyclist (wearing no helmet) blow the red light at the three way Ashland-Lincoln-Belmont intersection. He was very nearly hit by an oncoming car (which had the right of way), and what did he do? Flipped the driver the bird!****?!
Drivers do need to be aware of their surroundings, particularly on the North side, where it seems like more people ride. I don't have an issue with cyclists who don't stop at stop signs IF they are moving with the flow of traffic. I DO have an issue with those who blow stop signs because they think they don't apply to them.
who is your brother?
DARWIN

San Jose, CA

#313 Apr 18, 2009
Driving along Ashland, Lincoln and Halsted (especially Halsted) was really exciting last night. You had your bicyclists who wouldn't stay in the bicycle lane, and who cut cars off in order to make left turns. We were particularly fascinated by one woman cyclist who was struggling to keep some sort of large messenger-type bag from falling off her body. Every time she tried to hitch that bag up so it wouldn't be in the way of her handlebars, the bike lurched.

You had your rollerblader zipping around. And then there were the pedestrians who wandered out into the middle of the street from behind vans and SUVs. SURPRISE!

You can legislate safety all you want, but if people refuse to act with a modicum of common sense, then there are going to be run-ins between 2500+ pounds of metal and unprotected flesh, and guess who's going to "win."
Mike Iversen

United States

#314 Apr 18, 2009
I'm a bike enthusiast, having commuted to work via bike every day for years from Bucktown to UIC campus, when I was younger and single. Now that I have two young kids and live in Oak Park, I would never have them biking on streets by themselves, as it's far too dangerous. I question the advocacy mindset of Active Transportation Alliance, as they seem to be advocating urban biking despite the inherent danger. A thin painted bike lane will not stop a driver from hitting a bicyclist, and in fact, may imply a false sense of security. Rob Sadowsky, executive director of the Active Transportation Alliance, is quoted in the article stating; "There's been a growing anger and energizing around the issues that are causing crashes." Yes, it's basically a war zone out there for bicyclist, yet ATA keeps advocating urban biking. Unless there is a safe way to bike, ATA should not be advocating for bicyclists to be placed in harms way. Yes, biking is great, but not until its safe as well.
Liar

Santa Clara, CA

#315 Apr 18, 2009
I Am Lost wrote:
So I am at 610 N. Mason. Where is everyone?
They be hidin unda they beds likes YOU, ya dayum skurred honkie!
cindylou

Skokie, IL

#316 Apr 18, 2009
Many cyclists think their ability to ride a bike in traffic is greater than it really is and they ride as if they think a car can stop on a dime.
Gnarly Bongwater

Santa Clara, CA

#317 Apr 18, 2009
JON WINDY wrote:
Problem is not lack of bike lanes; Chicago's got 'em. CPD Problem is CPD's blatant and intentional lack of enforcement, especially its failure to chase away trucks blocking them. Reason: they're fellow Teamsters, ergo immutable. Even avoidable cyclist deaths and injuries cannot change things and neither da Mare nor his Sup will intervene. Sic transit!
Wow!!! Quite the conspiracy theorist nutjob, aren't we?!
It's actually much more obvious and simple than that.
The lack of enforcement is due to the fact our police department is suffering a serious manpower shortage.
Add the fact that the vast majority of cyclist deaths are due to negligent and reckless behavior of the cyclists themselves.
Shooting, domestics, thefts, batteries, burglaries/alarms, disciplining/raising other people's childre.....just about everything ranks higher on Chicago's or ANY police departments dispatch priority than a parking complaint/concern.

(Stop watching so much TV and smoking weed.)
gordon

Chicago, IL

#318 Apr 18, 2009
I'm certainly saddened by this death. And I am unfamiliar with the circumstances causing it. My sympathy to the family. That said ... bicyclists in Chicago are the most reckless people on the streets, paying no attention to either vehicle or pedestrian rules. Play by the rules, cyclists ... don't go through stopsigns and lights without even slowing ... don't cross lanes suddenly without signaling ... don't ride down the stripes between lanes of cars ... don't assume drivers can see you at night, especially in rain! It's hell as a driver trying to always be on guard for irresponsible cyclists
B S Sensor

United States

#319 Apr 18, 2009
clueless wrote:
For all of you righteous drivers out there, here are few tests:
#1, pick a stop sign intersection in Chicago and count how many cars in 1 hour a) blow through the stop sign without stopping b) people talk on the phone, text, check e-mail #2, pick any intersection with lights, and count how many cars blow through red lights #3, drive within the speed limit on the expressway near you, and see how many cars blow by you
Hey Bub,
your point being?
Look it is all about respect whether you are walking, ridng, driving, running, skating whatever.
Just slow down, be careful obey the law, the rest will take care of itself.
Oh one other thing, graciously give the other guy the right of way now and then, even if it's your turn, we might be surprised how quickly civility can be restored to our City.
West Side Tommy

Chicago, IL

#320 Apr 18, 2009
When I sit out on my balcony I've a view of the 4-way stop at 14th and Indiana and I've never seen a cyclist stop for it.

Cyclists have tendancy towards self-righteousness and thinking they're doing the rest of us a service which is irritating. This must come from the pampered suburban background most undoubtedly come from.

I ride my bicycle every day (I'm retired) for exercise, I use the bike path along the lake on the South Side. On the way over there from my apartment I stop at all lights and stop signs. But when I want to actually go somewhere I use the CTA or my car.

These activist cyclists acting tough crack me up, I'm sure most would fold their hand and run away if actually faced with a tough old bird like me who's ready and willing to throw hands. I never seen a tough hipster either.
Selfish Cyclist

Santa Clara, CA

#321 Apr 18, 2009
JON WINDY wrote:
Chicago cops aren't Teamsters or anything CLOSE...

They are FOP, Fraternal Order of Poleeses
cindylou

Skokie, IL

#322 Apr 18, 2009
I think we should ban all cars from the streets so bicycles can go where they want with ease...

I also think that bicyclist should be able to text and use their cell phones...it is not fair that they be restricted. Same with those on motorcyles...and no one on one of these vehicles should be forced to wear a helmut...it takes away some of their enjoyment.
zoe moore

Skokie, IL

#323 Apr 19, 2009
Kaibelf wrote:
Here's a wild idea!
1. If you are riding a bike for exercise, ride along the lake.
2. If you are going to work, take public transportation.
3. If you are going outside of the public transit system's area, drive.
It's like magic! People are being responsible, reasonable, AND staying alive. Incredible! Now, where's my Nobel Prize?
Kaibelf for mayor!
AintNoJoke

Staten Island, NY

#324 Apr 19, 2009
Most cyclists do not stop at stop signs and try to run red lights if possible. Maybe if they were a little more careful! It's not entirely the motorists fault.
AintNoJoke

Staten Island, NY

#325 Apr 19, 2009
Riding a bicycle in Chicago is a death wish!
Selfish Cyclist

Santa Clara, CA

#326 Apr 19, 2009
Bike riders in Chicago are their own worst enemy....
Bottom line.
Michael Murphy

United States

#327 Apr 20, 2009
While this tragic accident highlights the issue of bicyclists and motor vehicles, it fails to highlight the bicyclists failure to follow traffic laws, themselves, all too often. This is something all parties need to be aware of and to work toward correcting to make the roadways safer for everyone that uses them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 7 min VetnorsGate 1,681,830
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 7 min Alain Vain 11,742
martha mc juan 41 min AMERICAN PATRIOT 1
thu 5 51 min AMERICAN PATRIOT 3
UN Troops? 1 hr 2thapoint 10
last post wins! (Apr '13) 2 hr honeymylove 2,731
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 3 hr Chicagoan by Birth 243,224

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages