Chicago bicyclists face daily perils on crowded streets

Mary Pat Fabeck agonizes over the last minutes her 22-year-old son Tyler spent after being struck by a car while riding his bike in the Logan Square neighborhood a year ago. Full Story
First Prev
of 15
Next Last
Fred

Midlothian, IL

#1 Apr 17, 2009
"Tyler was struck as he turned in front of an oncoming car". Whose fault was that? He turned in front of an oncoming car, violating the vehicle code.

"nothing will change unless drivers start to wake up and realize that they are not alone on the road, and that they are not entitled to it any more than cyclists". You need to wake up and realize that vehicles, whether they are cars or bicycles, have to follow the same rules. Bicycle riders are not exempt from the traffic laws
I love riding bikes

Glen Ellyn, IL

#2 Apr 17, 2009
but you are taking your life in your hands when you decide to ride out in traffic.
Timothy Wulf

Chicago, IL

#3 Apr 17, 2009
I'm all for cyclists sharing the road.

I'm also waiting for cyclists to observe, and someone to enforce, the "rules of the road" for cyclists as well.
Spare

Redford, MI

#4 Apr 17, 2009
nb.nv/.n/n,
Obey the Laws

Chicago, IL

#5 Apr 17, 2009
The bicyclists I see on the streets almost never obey the traffic laws. Most common is blowing through 4 way stops. Also very common are the bicyclists that weave in & out of slow moving traffic. For every 1 law abiding bicyclist I observe there are 5-10 that flagrantly break the law. Start by riding safely & accidents will plummet!!
ziggy

Milwaukee, WI

#6 Apr 17, 2009
I feel badly for this family and love to bike myself. I see many people cycling who cut in front of cars, are in dark clothing at night biking down dark streets, and gnerally taking big risks. Cars are also at fault as they are not always aware of what is going on with pedestrians and bikers. It is rough out there and everyone needs to watch more, think of others, and be more careful

“Wingnuts Suck”

Since: Mar 09

Chicago, IL

#7 Apr 17, 2009
Obey the Laws wrote:
The bicyclists I see on the streets almost never obey the traffic laws. Most common is blowing through 4 way stops. Also very common are the bicyclists that weave in & out of slow moving traffic. For every 1 law abiding bicyclist I observe there are 5-10 that flagrantly break the law. Start by riding safely & accidents will plummet!!
I have never seen a traffic-law-abiding cyclist and I drive around the city everyday.

Never seen a cyclist that stops at stop signs. Or red lights, except to look for cross traffic. Never seen a cyclist obey lane usage.
JSIII

Chicago, IL

#8 Apr 17, 2009
In a city with an aincent mass transit system when compaired with a city like say..New York or Portland, your going to take away MORE parking spaces? Heres a novel idea..give Bycyclists bike lanes on sidewalks? Designate half the sidewalk for Cyclists? This way they are as far from the danger of automobiles as possible, pedestrians are safe, its win win without spending millions or billions on a program that will just make it harder for the majority of us to get around in the city.
JSIII

Chicago, IL

#9 Apr 17, 2009
Fred wrote:
"Tyler was struck as he turned in front of an oncoming car". Whose fault was that? He turned in front of an oncoming car, violating the vehicle code.
"nothing will change unless drivers start to wake up and realize that they are not alone on the road, and that they are not entitled to it any more than cyclists". You need to wake up and realize that vehicles, whether they are cars or bicycles, have to follow the same rules. Bicycle riders are not exempt from the traffic laws
Yes but Daily loves to ride his bike, so Cyclists are above the law. I commonly say, a Cyclist could run into you head on while you are stopped at a redlight and YOU would probably get the ticket.

They have all these nice laws protecting cyclists..dont get within 2 feet, dont open your door when you see one coming....these seem like common sence laws that should apply to ALL Vehicles dont you think?
ditto

Springfield, IL

#10 Apr 17, 2009
How many tims have I seen cyclists going the wrong way down a one-way street and "blow" intersections without ever stopping? When I try to tell them of their error, I get the "finger". Cyclist will get my respect when they start respecting the law.
tweetybird

Tinley Park, IL

#11 Apr 17, 2009
It's downright scary to bike in the city. Too many drivers who aren't paying attention.
Truth be told

United States

#13 Apr 17, 2009
According to the local bicycle community we should all just sell our cars and walk/bike to work every day to clear roadways for them. Not sure what it is about bicyclists but they are just elitists that believe the world should bend to their needs.
bikecarwalkall3

Chicago, IL

#14 Apr 17, 2009
Why so many crocodile tears about bicyclist victims of crashes? At most, many refuse to obey all traffic laws and also have a contemptuous attitude toward them and any non-cop who tells them about the laws; at least, most don't ride defensively even when they do obey the laws. What should we expect except many bike crashes with sad results? I can speak like this because I also ride a bike. It's true that most streets are not bike-friendly, and the potholes sure don't help. It's like a military invasion trying to plot my safest route. Motorists & pedestrians also see police and traffic aides refusing to ticket scofflaw bicyclists or even yell at them when they look directly at a moving violation. One cop even told me he used his "discretion" to ignore the red-light biker. I bet he would have ticketed any car blowing the red light! There is also the constant problem of bikes on sidewalks in Chicago in violation of the law. Call me a contrarian, but I'd rather see actual of enforcement of traffic laws against bicyclists; and send them all to "defensive bicycling" school as well as fine them. Bicyclists have to stop riding as if they're little snakes who can get through any crack in traffic regardless of laws.
bikecarwalkall3

Chicago, IL

#15 Apr 17, 2009
JSIII wrote:
In a city with an aincent mass transit system when compaired with a city like say..New York or Portland, your going to take away MORE parking spaces? Heres a novel idea..give Bycyclists bike lanes on sidewalks? Designate half the sidewalk for Cyclists? This way they are as far from the danger of automobiles as possible, pedestrians are safe, its win win without spending millions or billions on a program that will just make it harder for the majority of us to get around in the city.
No, you couldn't "designate half the sidewalk for cyclists" in most places, because then there wouldn't be enough width for wheelchair-bound pedestrians. My latest thinking is to have a bike lane on the curb edge of wide-enough sidewalks, separated from the street by a guard rail, and maybe a green parkway between it & the pedestrian walk. I'm interested in any better ideas.
VTS

Chicago, IL

#16 Apr 17, 2009
Nothing will change until BICYCLISTS wake up and realize that they CANNOT disobey the rules of the road without there being consequences. Everyday I have to contend with bicyclists going the red light at Wood and Milwaukee on their way downtown. Someday soon we will be reading about an accident there, too.
beatrice

Chicago, IL

#17 Apr 17, 2009
I have to say that I'd be a lot more sympathetic to the concerns of the bikers if they'd follow the rules that are set down for them - yet I see bike after bike whizzing through red lights, people wearing headphones, having no reflectors after dark, riding on the sidewalk, slipping through intersections and nearly causing car accidents, etc. I very nearly hit someone one a bike the other day because the rider was paying no attention and came barrelling through a red light into oncoming traffic. I'm a good driver and was alert, so I slammed on my brakes. The guy behind me nearly ran into me. The person on the bike kept going, never even paused.
So while I have a tremendous amount of sympathy for the deaths that occur in the bicycling community, I have to wonder if maybe some people on bikes might be injured or killed because of their own daredevil attitudes, not because of negligent drivers.
Carl

Hoffman Estates, IL

#18 Apr 17, 2009
As a person who rides their bicycle everyday and obeys traffic signals, I understand the frustration of motorists.

However, cyclists are vulnerable on the streets because of the way our streets are engineered, and a large amount of drivers who believe all cyclists are foolish.

Traffic calming, bikeways, protected bike lanes and other infrastructure improvements will help make cycling more attractive and ease traffic congestion for motorists by encouraging more cyclists to ride in safe conditions.

Streets are public space for people, not just cars.

My sincere condolences to Tyler's family. Please continue your efforts to improve cycling so the rest of us remain safe. I'm glad this tragedy will create a positive change.
Schwinn Suburban

Chicago, IL

#20 Apr 17, 2009
Marty McFly and Biff wrote:
I'd say ONLY 5% of all cars actually stop at stop signs, so shut it!
But I always have, and almost never see bicyclists respect the rules of the road.
ziggy

Milwaukee, WI

#21 Apr 17, 2009
Completely agree! The bicyclists blow through there with no regard to any of the car traffic or pedestrians. I have seem families biking at night with little regard for the cars and the traffic.
VTS wrote:
Nothing will change until BICYCLISTS wake up and realize that they CANNOT disobey the rules of the road without there being consequences. Everyday I have to contend with bicyclists going the red light at Wood and Milwaukee on their way downtown. Someday soon we will be reading about an accident there, too.
booksdates

United States

#22 Apr 17, 2009
RIP to this kid and peace to his family. I ride downtown, along the lake, throughout the city and love doing it everyday. I ride for exercise, fun, mental health, transportation and YES I also have a car to get to my accounts in the suburbs when needed. The problem I see is that there are very aggressive bike riders and auto drivers. The only difference is the autos are these huge pieces of metal and the bike is this light weight aluminum, etc two wheeler. There is no match. I have driven an auto 1000's of miles in the inner city and the same on a bike. You must be aware of your surroundings at all times and act accordingly. I have had some very close calls on a bike, however saw the potential accident coming prior to it happening and so far have been able to avoid such. If everyone would learn to slow down, stay off cell phones, listening to ipods, etc there would be less problems. It's not a war pitting autos and bikes. It's a diverse city and people just need to understand that we are all here together in a limited amount of space so stay focused on the ride or drive and watch out for other people in your path.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 15
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
ISIS Plans to Blow Up an Entire American City a... 3 min hands on AR 100
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min MITT from URANUS 1,125,497
Abby 10-22 9 min Mister Tonka 2
Amy 10-21 38 min Community Disorga... 7
Emanuel set to outline re-election agenda in fi... 55 min Le Jimbo 1
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 57 min jacques Ottawa 179,286
Rattlesnake Logic 1 hr C and P an Paste 19
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago Jobs

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]