Stina

Saint Petersburg, FL

#1 May 15, 2013
DEAR ABBY: When friends and family get together, the conversation often turns to the subject of health. They swap stories about the medications they may be taking and the lifestyle changes they're making to improve their health. They look to each other for support and tips to get through the flu or a nasty case of food poisoning, and rely on each other's experience to tackle challenges like quitting smoking, managing heart disease, diabetes, menopause or conquering insomnia.

Share on emailE-mail this storyShare on printPrint this storyShare on favoritesSave this story

Sponsor

To help your readers support their loved ones through these health issues and many more, the FDA's Office of Women's Health and the GSA's Federal Citizen Information Center have created the free Friends and Family Health Kit. It contains more than 20 publications that are quick to read, easy to understand, and feature health care and prevention tips for women and their families.

Abby, thank you for letting your readers know about the Friends and Family Health Kit, and for sharing advice we can all use to better care for ourselves and for one another. MARSHA HENDERSON, FDA ASSISTANT COMMISSIONER FOR WOMEN'S HEALTH

DEAR MARSHA: Your letter is timely because we are in the middle of Women's Health Week, which runs from May 12-18. I'm always glad to receive your health kits because they are constantly being updated to reflect the latest information.

This year's health kits cover subjects that include recognizing health scams, preventing food poisoning, managing your medications from pregnancy to menopause, participating in clinical trials (which can be a lifesaver), controlling asthma, selecting a mammography facility, and staying safe with cosmetics and tattooing.

There is no charge for the Friends and Family Health Kits and they're easy to order. Just send your name and address to Friends and Family Health Kit, Pueblo, CO 81009; go online to www.promotions.usa.gov/dearabby.html ; or call: 888-8-PUEBLO (that's 888-878-3256) weekdays, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Eastern time. The publications can also be read online in PDF format, or be downloaded to your computer and printed out. Print supplies are limited, so don't wait to order them.

DEAR ABBY: I live in Alaska and have good friends I visit every summer on the East Coast. I have some acquaintances and former co-workers who live there, too. Many of them want me to visit when I come down. I have grown apart from these former friends and keep in touch only through occasional emails and Facebook.

Flying from Alaska to the East Coast is expensive and time-consuming. I really just want to rest and hang out with the friends I'll be staying with. Even when I avoid posting pictures of my vacation on Facebook until after the trip, I get comments or emails about me not stopping by or letting them know I was in town.

What's the polite way to tell these former co-workers and acquaintances that I don't want to spend my vacation time with them? Or should I just get over it and devote some time to them as well? TRYING TO BE POLITE IN ANCHORAGE

DEAR TRYING TO BE POLITE: If you have any desire to continue the relationships with your former co-workers and acquaintances, why not arrange to meet a group of them at an agreed-upon place one afternoon for a "reunion"? If you don't, then either ignore their comments or respond to the emails by saying you needed to rest, which is the reason you didn't socialize more during your vacation.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#2 May 15, 2013
I got nothing

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#3 May 15, 2013
1 reading this gave me a headache, and I got nobody to help me with it.

2 I get the same noise from my brothers when I visit my daughter. Tell them I go up to visit my daughter, thats where my focus is, and they are free to fly down and see me.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#4 May 15, 2013
LW1: Due to the sequester, the FDA has turned to Dear Abby for advertising space. Stay tuned for other helpful health-related news.

LW2: Would it kill you to have dinner one night with these people? Frankly, I'm not sure why they'd want to hang out with you, you sound like a PITA.

Since: Mar 09

Miami, FL

#5 May 15, 2013
L2: What Abby said. Plan one big get-together and whoever can make it can see you, whoever can't is SOL. And I can't believe that so many people would make such a big deal that you didn't run around and have lunch with every single person you ever knew.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#6 May 15, 2013
L1: Skimmed it. PSA. Whatever.

L2: You wimp! Just tell them you get booked up when you're in town with your close family and friends and that next time why don't you organize one dinner where everyone can meet. Who doesn't like pizza and beer/wine? Cheap, you can chat and you can even bring the people you're staying with.
Stina

Saint Petersburg, FL

#7 May 15, 2013
I like the idea of just doing one big get together at a pizza place or a bar or something. I know we have some former co-workers that live out od town. If one of those people comes into town, they usually plan a happy hour (well, happy hours) for a night. An e-mail just goes out saying "joe schmo will be in town May 20 and would love to see everyone! We'll be down at the beach bar starting at 4. Hope to see you!" And there you have it....

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#8 May 15, 2013
Stina wrote:
I like the idea of just doing one big get together at a pizza place or a bar or something. I know we have some former co-workers that live out od town. If one of those people comes into town, they usually plan a happy hour (well, happy hours) for a night. An e-mail just goes out saying "joe schmo will be in town May 20 and would love to see everyone! We'll be down at the beach bar starting at 4. Hope to see you!" And there you have it....
That's what we do for out-of-town folks. It works well both for friends and for family members.
Stina

Saint Petersburg, FL

#9 May 15, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
That's what we do for out-of-town folks. It works well both for friends and for family members.
And it's good for the attendees, too, because it's probably some groups of friends/acquaintances that may not see each other too often even though they're in the same town. So they get to visit with each other, too!

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#10 May 15, 2013
"acquaintances and former co-workers "

Ignore them completely. Unfriend them if they are immature annoyances.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#11 May 15, 2013
I get the group gathering suggestion, but that works well in some places but not others. "East Coast" covers a lot of territory. Even if someone lives in NYC, they may be 90 minutes away from someone else in NYC.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#12 May 15, 2013
"DEAR ABBY: When friends and family get together, the conversation often turns to the subject of health. They swap stories about the medications they may be taking"

Who are these people? Retirment home residents? I don't know anyone like rhis person is describing.
Lw2: This dude is making more of a big deal about those fb comments than is warranted.Of course people who you kinda stay on contact arw gonna say you should have come to see them. But they don't care as much as you think. They're just being friendly. Just give lighthearted responses and get on with your life.
Lw3:

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The truth regarding Ebola 8 min STORY NOW ON TV 3
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 12 min KiMare 51,264
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 13 min Rogue Scholar 05 181,870
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 18 min Earthling-1 49,238
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 41 min J RULES 71,116
The Violence in Chicago is from Gangs and Not t... 1 hr joey 2
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 hr johnplustwomore 1,154,314
Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News