abby 6-18-13

Posted in the Chicago Forum

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 39 of39
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Jun 18, 2013
 
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. There's compromise, and then there's massive things like being a religious fundie, no matter what religion.
We've tried to impart to my SIL's fiance that her vegetarianism may not be a bother to him *now*, but it's not going to get any less annoying over time if she remains vegetarian and he doesn't. As far as I know, she won't even touch meat (giggity), much less cook it.
I think you can get around a vegetarian a little better than a fundie religious person. UNLESS that vegetarian takes it to that level. Some people won't have any animal products in their home and it's difficult to give up your leather belts, shoes, chicken, pork, milk, eggs, steak -- OMG there is way too much.

Would she be like that or potentially be like that? I think I just talked myself into agreeing with you.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22
Jun 18, 2013
 
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you can get around a vegetarian a little better than a fundie religious person. UNLESS that vegetarian takes it to that level. Some people won't have any animal products in their home and it's difficult to give up your leather belts, shoes, chicken, pork, milk, eggs, steak -- OMG there is way too much.
Would she be like that or potentially be like that? I think I just talked myself into agreeing with you.
Oh, it's not on the same level as Orthodox Judaism by any stretch, but it is a big pain in the ass that won't get easier after marriage if you're not on the same page.

She tried, when she lived at home, to get her parents to have designated kitchen items that never touched meat (pots, pans, utensils, etc.) That went over like a lead balloon, and she didn't try it here. I wouldn't be shocked if she tried to impart that with the fiance, though.

“Licensed to Ill”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#23
Jun 18, 2013
 
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. There's compromise, and then there's massive things like being a religious fundie, no matter what religion.
We've tried to impart to my SIL's fiance that her vegetarianism may not be a bother to him *now*, but it's not going to get any less annoying over time if she remains vegetarian and he doesn't. As far as I know, she won't even touch meat (giggity), much less cook it.
I agree. There's no real compromise when it comes to a fundie. It just consumes their whole life and because of this it's going to be too much of an imposition upon yours too.

I can cook myself ... so someone like your sister wouldn't be a big deal to me. With Bambi working, I make dinners many nights. So, I think I could even compromise on the vegetarian thing, so long as it's not with a person who doesn't want any meat in the house and expects me to essentially be a vegetarian too. I would even be willing to eat some meals with them that were all vegetarian, but sometimes I would want meat, whether they made it for me, I made it myself, or I ran out and picked up some carryout or fast food.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Spanaway, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#24
Jun 18, 2013
 
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Yup. Separate sets of plates, utensils, two ovens, two sets of sinks, two dishwashers.
I could never do that. Even having it be Halal here there was only the issue of the meat BEING halal because all veggies, fish, fruit, etc., are already halal. My only issue was no weird meat (goat, lamb, etc) cooked in my house (BBQ outside was ok) because the smell makes me gag. No fried fish either. Baked or poached is ok, but not fried. Sooo that left beef, chicken, and pork. Of course he doesn't eat pork so I would have to cook bacon on the down low. <shrug>

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#25
Jun 18, 2013
 
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
I could never do that. Even having it be Halal here there was only the issue of the meat BEING halal because all veggies, fish, fruit, etc., are already halal. My only issue was no weird meat (goat, lamb, etc) cooked in my house (BBQ outside was ok) because the smell makes me gag. No fried fish either. Baked or poached is ok, but not fried. Sooo that left beef, chicken, and pork. Of course he doesn't eat pork so I would have to cook bacon on the down low. <shrug>
How do you cook bacon "on the down low"?

If you cook bacon, it seems like you can smell it for miles. Okay, I'm exaggerating a little. But not much.

Since: May 13

Monterey, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#26
Jun 18, 2013
 
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. There's compromise, and then there's massive things like being a religious fundie, no matter what religion.
We've tried to impart to my SIL's fiance that her vegetarianism may not be a bother to him *now*, but it's not going to get any less annoying over time if she remains vegetarian and he doesn't. As far as I know, she won't even touch meat (giggity), much less cook it.
I totally agree with both of you. People with very strict beliefs are not compatible with people who do not share those beliefs, and that goes for strict vegetarians, too. You can't cook your veggies in the same pan that I used to cook meat even after it's been washed?

Since: May 13

Monterey, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#27
Jun 18, 2013
 
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you cook bacon "on the down low"?
If you cook bacon, it seems like you can smell it for miles. Okay, I'm exaggerating a little. But not much.
When they are cooking bacon in the cafeteria here at work, I swear you can smell it in the entire building. All 8 stories...

“suffers from formicophilia ”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#28
Jun 18, 2013
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Matilda77 wrote:
House Hunters had an episode with...I don't know if they were Orthodox Jews, but they kept kosher and seemed very conservative. Pain in the azz as far as finding a big enough kitchen. You basically need two of everything so your dairy and meat don't mix. Or whatever it is.
And this is why I think she'll be a kosher Orthodox Jew for about all of five seconds. She's only 23 and thinks she knows everything. Once she realizes all the dam effort and strict discipline it's gonna take, and the fact her boyfriend isn't really on board, she isn't gonna follow through for very long.
Julie

Skokie, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#29
Jun 18, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

LW1: I have been with my fiance for four years...He is Catholic and I am Jewish. When I met him, I wasn't particularly religious, but since planning a trip to Israel and after studying under a rabbi, I have become more religious.
I now keep kosher and try to be as close to Orthodox as I can. I eventually want an Orthodox Jewish home and for my children to be raised Jewish. But every time I try to discuss this with him, he nods his head and says in a sarcastic tone, "Uh-huh."
I don't think he understands how serious I am about becoming Orthodox, even though I live the lifestyle now.

LW, I think he understands EXACTLY how serious you are about becoming Orthodox. You're very young, and you sound ridiculously immature. My guess is that your fiancee has lived through many of your "fads" over the years, and believes your new love for Orthodoxy is just another fad. If I were him, I'd ditch your immature @$$ asap.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#30
Jun 18, 2013
 
"even though I live the lifestyle now."

Her use is the reason I agree with Julie and Edog.

Orthodoxy is a profession of faith and following the tenets as a matter of faith, not living a lifestyle.

One of my college roommates, and 40+ years on, still a good friend, was brought up in an Orthodox home with a strict Kosher kitchen. She remains an observant Jew but her kitchen rules have significant laxity.

The rules described above are extreme. If you keep Kosher, you have to go through a special cleansing for Passover.. You keep separate plates which are passe-dick (sp?)(kosher for Passover) or you use disposable. It is mostly a matter of avoiding certain animal proteins and not mixing dairy and meat. Keeping vegetarian covers most bases except during Passover when for some reason I seem to remember you can't eat lentils.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#31
Jun 18, 2013
 
Kuuipo wrote:
<quoted text>
I totally agree with both of you. People with very strict beliefs are not compatible with people who do not share those beliefs, and that goes for strict vegetarians, too. You can't cook your veggies in the same pan that I used to cook meat even after it's been washed?
If I went vegetarian, I think I'd be okay with, say, scooping up some pasta salad with chicken in it, and then picking out the chicken, but I don't think most vegetarians would do that. Heck, I pick most meat out of things anyway, Nick eats it. Whichever guy I'm dating has always been happy to do that.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Spanaway, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#32
Jun 18, 2013
 
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you cook bacon "on the down low"?
If you cook bacon, it seems like you can smell it for miles. Okay, I'm exaggerating a little. But not much.
When he's not around and not going ot be for a while. He's always going on about how it's gross. One day I cooked it and it was still in the air (mmmmmmm) and he came in and said "wow, what smells so good?!?"

(~.~)

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Spanaway, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#33
Jun 18, 2013
 

Judged:

1

PEllen wrote:
"even though I live the lifestyle now."
not mixing dairy and meat. Keeping vegetarian covers most bases except during Passover when for some reason I seem to remember you can't eat lentils.
So macaroni and cheese with ham is out then?:D

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#34
Jun 18, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

I used to work with a guy who kept a kosher house. Problem was, his wife kept the house kosher, I doubt he even knew where the kitchen was. I always thought that to be a little arrogant, to insist you wife do all the things so YOU can say you are living your faith. The guy never helped her out at all. But hey, whatever works for them.
PEllen wrote:
"even though I live the lifestyle now."
Her use is the reason I agree with Julie and Edog.
Orthodoxy is a profession of faith and following the tenets as a matter of faith, not living a lifestyle.
One of my college roommates, and 40+ years on, still a good friend, was brought up in an Orthodox home with a strict Kosher kitchen. She remains an observant Jew but her kitchen rules have significant laxity.
The rules described above are extreme. If you keep Kosher, you have to go through a special cleansing for Passover.. You keep separate plates which are passe-dick (sp?)(kosher for Passover) or you use disposable. It is mostly a matter of avoiding certain animal proteins and not mixing dairy and meat. Keeping vegetarian covers most bases except during Passover when for some reason I seem to remember you can't eat lentils.

“This is SPARTA!”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#35
Jun 18, 2013
 

Judged:

1

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you can get around a vegetarian a little better than a fundie religious person. UNLESS that vegetarian takes it to that level. Some people won't have any animal products in their home and it's difficult to give up your leather belts, shoes, chicken, pork, milk, eggs, steak -- OMG there is way too much.
Would she be like that or potentially be like that? I think I just talked myself into agreeing with you.
Someone who views veganism or vegetarianism as a dietary choice would be no problem to co-exist with. Its the nuts that look at it like a religious belief system that would be the deal breakers.

You wanna have chick pea salad while I have my steak? No problem? You start trying to convince me that I'm a cow murderer, gtfo.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#36
Jun 18, 2013
 
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
When he's not around and not going ot be for a while. He's always going on about how it's gross. One day I cooked it and it was still in the air (mmmmmmm) and he came in and said "wow, what smells so good?!?"
(~.~)
See! He doesn't know what he's missing!

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#37
Jun 18, 2013
 
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Someone who views veganism or vegetarianism as a dietary choice would be no problem to co-exist with. Its the nuts that look at it like a religious belief system that would be the deal breakers.
You wanna have chick pea salad while I have my steak? No problem? You start trying to convince me that I'm a cow murderer, gtfo.
Well, ya -- absolutely.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#38
Jun 18, 2013
 
Okay- change of subject.
On my Samsung Smartphone is it more secure to use an app or to go to a website using the internet for the same information and interaction?

When I use an app am I consuming data at the saw rate as when I use the internet for eh same function?

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#39
Jun 19, 2013
 
RACE wrote:
I used to work with a guy who kept a kosher house. Problem was, his wife kept the house kosher, I doubt he even knew where the kitchen was. I always thought that to be a little arrogant, to insist you wife do all the things so YOU can say you are living your faith. The guy never helped her out at all. But hey, whatever works for them.
<quoted text>
That's a big part of the history of Judaism: Women maintain it. The men would have abandoned it long ago because of the work involved in maintaining a Jewish (not just kosher) household.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 39 of39
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••