Obama's Air Force One flight to Chica...

Obama's Air Force One flight to Chicago and back Monday to cost...

There are 1287 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jun 14, 2009, titled Obama's Air Force One flight to Chicago and back Monday to cost.... In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

As President Barack Obama flies Monday to Chicago for a midday speech on health-care reform, the round trip on Air Force One will run about $236,000, according to government estimates of the operating costs for one of the top symbols, and perks, of the presidency.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 65
Next Last
Jimdon

Batavia, IL

#1 Jun 14, 2009
Bend Over America .... Here Comes Change
Dukester

Seattle, WA

#2 Jun 14, 2009
And how is this a story when Bush spent a third of his presidency down in Texas and doing what for the country? At least Obama is accomplished.
sweet lou

United States

#3 Jun 14, 2009
i agree why is this such a big deal now as the other post says bush was always flying down to crawford and no one ever cared about that... no story here move on
R Kelly

Elgin, IL

#4 Jun 14, 2009
Dukester wrote:
And how is this a story when Bush spent a third of his presidency down in Texas and doing what for the country? At least Obama is accomplished.
Accomplished???? If you consider stapling fliers to phone poles accomplished.
DPW

Houston, TX

#5 Jun 14, 2009
Dukester wrote:
Other than presiding over the largest deficit in the history of the country, what else has he accomplished?

“Go Cubs Go!”

Since: Sep 07

Homewood

#6 Jun 14, 2009
Dukester wrote:
Dude, you don't need to be in D.C. to Govern.. Clinton spent a large portion of his time away from the White House.

Or, how about FDR who spent an enormous amount of time in Georgia at a time when communications were a joke compared to what they are now...

This is a non-story... When they fork over the next billion for the 747 replacements they should buy a short haul version for domestic travel.
HoHum

Safety Harbor, FL

#7 Jun 14, 2009
Another 'do as I say, not as I do' President. The more things 'change' the more they stay the same. Baloney slicing at it's best.
lnbee

United States

#8 Jun 14, 2009
It's not that Obama is spending more on these flights than previous presidents, I think the mood of the public is that all this government spending on the taxpayer's dime, of which Air Force One is only the tip of the iceberg, is resented because so many people are in such dire personal financial straits, and yet they still have to pay their taxes to support this type of wasteful, grandiose government spending. It's just not right.
c_broski

Chicago, IL

#10 Jun 14, 2009
what's the point of this? is it just giving mildly interesting yet completely understandable and unsurprising statistics on the cost of presidential travel? or it is meant to implictly make a bogus argument about how obama is spending too much money? i guess your reaction will depend on how you feel about obama. but it shouldn't. this is the same cost it has always been, regardless of the political party in power. it's a non-issue, and not even that interesting.
sage bob

United States

#11 Jun 14, 2009
Even though I am not an obmananite, I will defend to the death the president's ability(his or any president) to fly anywhere on
air
force One. It is difficult for plebians to get this.
Debt

Pekin, IL

#12 Jun 14, 2009
Dukester wrote:
Please explain....accomplished at what? Tripling the deficit? Bowing to the Saudi King? Assigning tax cheats at cabinet posts? Spending thousands of dollars on "dates" with the Mrs. while unemployment goes up?
Yeah, he's accomplished, all right.....
Joe The Plumber

Elmhurst, IL

#13 Jun 14, 2009
Jimdon wrote:
Bend Over America .... Here Comes Change
Ok. So do you want Obama to occupy an economy seat on JetBlue, each time he goes somewhere? Especially when there are so many supremacists 'inspired' by the Glen Becks and Hannitys..?
Slow News Day

Chicago, IL

#15 Jun 14, 2009
So basically, he's taken far fewer flights and saved substantially more money in travel than George "vacation" Bush, who flew back practically every weekend?

Good to know.
Joe

Hendersonville, TN

#16 Jun 14, 2009
What is the point of this article other than to get people angry at the cost of presidential travel?

Considering how many times Bush flew to/from Crawford Ranch, it will be funny to see Republicans get all up in arms about this.
Ken L

East Liverpool, OH

#17 Jun 14, 2009
Why is the Trib reporting this? Easyh to answer: because it's a Republican rag. They never reported what Bush's trips cost. Why do we get articles like this every time Obama takes a trip. Yeah, we know it's expensive--that's the cost of security. But I'm not going to lock him in the White House. The Trib should be embarrassed to keep putting out trash like this.
GSs

Franklin Park, IL

#18 Jun 14, 2009
On Friday afternoon at least one C-117 transport plane (likely carrying the limos and SUVs) was spotted taking off from O'Hare (no longer a military air base) and at least 3 military helicopters were flying into the airfield. All this preparation and cost including diversionary aircraft from three days before such a brief visit.

I doubt Medvedev (Putin), Brown, Merkel or Wen Jiabao require anywhere near such extraordinary and lavish transport arrangements.
Joe

Frankfort, IL

#19 Jun 14, 2009
Dukester wrote:
And just what has he accomplished?

Since: Sep 07

Chicago

#20 Jun 14, 2009
DPW wrote:
<quoted text>Other than presiding over the largest deficit in the history of the country, what else has he accomplished?
As opposed to the surplus we were running under Bush?
Glasnos

Apopka, FL

#21 Jun 14, 2009
Dukester wrote:
Because you have no brain. I wish Obama would spend three weeks at home in Chicago, like Bush spent time at home in Crawford.
Obama flies all over to spend mere hours. Why does he have to fly to chicago to give this speech? I thought we needed to use less fossil fuel? Obama is going to drain the strategic petroleum reservres all by himself with his excessive use of Air Force One.
DeFence

United States

#22 Jun 14, 2009
lnbee wrote:
It's not that Obama is spending more on these flights than previous presidents, I think the mood of the public is that all this government spending on the taxpayer's dime, of which Air Force One is only the tip of the iceberg, is resented because so many people are in such dire personal financial straits, and yet they still have to pay their taxes to support this type of wasteful, grandiose government spending. It's just not right.
Grandiose? it is part and parcel of the office and the security required. Do you think perhaps he shoudl take a Greyhound? Or, stay in Washington at which point you would cliam he is out of touch with the rest of America.
You're just a complainer.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 65
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 8 min RetiredProfessional 1,758,869
What are the best adult dating sites in Chicago ? 24 min jo-jo 8
Leslie I love you 49 min SHEs used goods 2
Johnny brandenburg 53 min This is an answer 6
Bubba should walk in Chappaqua Woods. 55 min PIGs Hubby 1
Change one letter in the word (Apr '12) 5 hr The real Rudy 72
Double Word Game (Dec '11) 6 hr MPMMB 3,861

Chicago Jobs

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages