If ex-felons pay their dues to society, let's give them a chanc...

I submit that Virginians are idiots. Not idiots wholesale, and not every single citizen, but certainly too many of those who make our laws and far too many of those who elect them. Full Story
Mort

Petersburg, VA

#1278 Apr 22, 2010
Donna Atlanta GA wrote:
<quoted text>
As the mother of a "felon", I can tell you I WILL vote for anyone who realizes the destruction current drug laws do in this nation. I'm not a "felon" myself, but I will vote against anything that harms good people for judgment errors.
drugs heroin,cocaine should be given free to addicts.if it gets so bad help to kick should be available 24/7.quit putting them in jail.give them the choice of life or death.
true

Charlottesville, VA

#1279 Apr 22, 2010
Mort wrote:
<quoted text>drugs heroin,cocaine should be given free to addicts.if it gets so bad help to kick should be available 24/7.quit putting them in jail.give them the choice of life or death.
in that case just have them migrate down to mexico, maybe that will balance things out
Ryan

Spotsylvania, VA

#1280 Apr 22, 2010
true wrote:
<quoted text>
i think he was trying to steal the gear, and left out the part that he had it for over probly a year
I had it for 2 months, I was in the hospital for a moth and half becuase I had heart surgery. I deffintly would have no reson to steal firefigther gear

“follow me <3”

Since: Feb 10

home is where your heart is

#1281 Apr 22, 2010
Ryan wrote:
<quoted text>
I had it for 2 months, I was in the hospital for a moth and half becuase I had heart surgery. I deffintly would have no reson to steal firefigther gear
Well, it seems you did something to piss them off. Just too odd of a story.
Mort

Hopewell, VA

#1282 Apr 22, 2010
true wrote:
<quoted text>
in that case just have them migrate down to mexico, maybe that will balance things out
we get mexicos criminals they can get ours.
Mort

Hopewell, VA

#1283 Apr 22, 2010
komoe wrote:
idiots who use drugs hurt not only them self's ,...but they hurt rest of us too -------we are forced to support them ,...once they fry their little brains out ,...,.....we are forced to support their illegitimate children from cradle to grave ,...,.....now with obama care ,..we will be forced to pay for their health care ,...forever ---.......the scum bag - dolts --- who don't care about their bodies -- now we are supposed to carry their weight ,....the brain fried dim bulbs ,....drugies hurt every body ,....and should be sent to prison ,.......maybe we need the death penalty for repeat drug sellers ,.....
you should have raised your kids better crybaby.
Mort

Hopewell, VA

#1284 Apr 22, 2010
chuckycheez_68 wrote:
<quoted text>Here's the dilemma: If the prisons were ran the way you envision, there would be riots and a lot of problems that prison authorities want to avoid. How do you reduce the potential for problems? One is television, as it is an low-paid babysitter. If there were no tv's prisons would be a war-zone, and no one wants that.
medical marijuana in prison.guaranteed 90% violent offenses gone.
Mort

Hopewell, VA

#1285 Apr 22, 2010
barry wrote:
you know if someone makes a mistake in life and does learn from them and not repeated offender.Even then it doesnt make them a bad person.i think once you serve youre time and never go back down that road again we should be normal person and not a ex-felon.but if he or she continue to get into trouble with the law there should be no excuss for what they do and they should be labled a felon.i say after 10 years of doing good and never going down the bad road again they should not be made public or have to list it on a job app.
the best comment i have seen yet.
Mort

Hopewell, VA

#1286 Apr 22, 2010
E E E wrote:
MAYBE EXCON should be forced , into having a total stranger move into his house ,...and not question the new interloper ,...on his past or his demeanor ,...the stranger should have ex cons keys -both car and house --and be allowed access to all of EXCONs financial information ,.....computer and all pass words ,.... would this be ok? huh - you dope ,.... the shoes is on the other foot ,...you don't like ,..do you?- ya big ass.......
your full of it.what job gives your home keys away?a good worker that you have no trouble with whats the problem?you want a college boy doing your work live near a college.I'm a multiple felon and go into peoples homes to work.to work!I could care less about your snobbish additude.I could even have been in your home.
Mort

Hopewell, VA

#1287 Apr 23, 2010
OGXXL wrote:
THERE ARE TO MANY LAWS MADE TO KEEP PEOPLE LOCKED UP ! PRISONS ARE RUN FOR PROFFIT. JUST THINK ABOUT IT AFTER THE USA LOST SO MANY JOBS IM THE MANUFACTURING INDUSTRY ! WE HAD TO CREATE JOBS FOR ALL THE UNDER EDUCATED SKILLESS WORKERS...! CRIME IS A BIG BUSINESS FROM THE CRIMINAL TO THE COP TO THE DA AND THE DEFENCE ATTORNEY TO THE JUDGE TO THE JAILS AND PRISON..!!!!!SO WHY WOULD THEY WANT TO GIVE YOU YOUR RIGHTS BACK? BEING A CONVICTED FELON, THE SMALLEST OFFENCE, CAN FILL AN EMPTY BED.
absolutely true.
true

Charlottesville, VA

#1288 Apr 23, 2010
Mort wrote:
<quoted text>your full of it.what job gives your home keys away?a good worker that you have no trouble with whats the problem?you want a college boy doing your work live near a college.I'm a multiple felon and go into peoples homes to work.to work!I could care less about your snobbish additude.I could even have been in your home.
i hope you left a floater in the toilet
Native MD Girl

Chilhowie, VA

#1291 May 3, 2010
Hell over my way even a mistameaner keeps you from a job. If Obama can be president of the USA, we ex-criminals should be able to cop a job. Hell I could cop a free bag quicker than I could get a job begging the McD's manager...pathetic. I served my time 2 yrs for a petite larceny. I stole a baby formula 1 damn can. Now no job for me oh well welfare is ok, since all you law biding tax payers like buying my food.

“follow me <3”

#1292 May 4, 2010
Native MD Girl wrote:
Hell over my way even a mistameaner keeps you from a job. If Obama can be president of the USA, we ex-criminals should be able to cop a job. Hell I could cop a free bag quicker than I could get a job begging the McD's manager...pathetic. I served my time 2 yrs for a petite larceny. I stole a baby formula 1 damn can. Now no job for me oh well welfare is ok, since all you law biding tax payers like buying my food.
Hello, no sympathy from over here, you ever hear of food pantries?
How bout wic? Even churches. Hey honey its hard to hear, but you did the crime... there are always other options. You screwed up. Period. Dont matter if it was for your baby or not. If you were on welfare why did you steal? That sounds hokey to me.
ex-FELON

Chilhowie, VA

#1293 May 4, 2010
I'm one of em...5 times in the hokey....now a senior at a prestigous university about to graduate with 2 bachelors degrees. Being a felon isn't always bad it just depends on what you do with yourself afterwards.
Skeptic

Danvers, MA

#1294 May 4, 2010
Part of the problem is the acceptance, by most Americans, and tolerance of murder, America tolerates murder and murderers. We love a murder mystery, we watch murders on TV, almost every TV show features gun wielding murders, Hollywood movies are all about murders, in graphic detail.

When murderers are released (if ever caught to serve time) they're back in the community living amongst us, living next door to grade schools, no one seems to mind, there is no registry, no one can trace them, it's all because we're fine with having murderers in the community. Why is that?

Is this the barometer of a really sick society?
diamond or coal wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello, no sympathy from over here, you ever hear of food pantries?
How bout wic? Even churches. Hey honey its hard to hear, but you did the crime... there are always other options. You screwed up. Period. Dont matter if it was for your baby or not. If you were on welfare why did you steal? That sounds hokey to me.
Skeptic

Danvers, MA

#1295 May 4, 2010
An important part of the law and what the judge should have done is to establish 'intent.' Because you had the gear, and didn't turn it in to me does not establish that you tried to steal it. It would be different if you had tried to pawn it, or fence it, something that would have converted that fire gear into cash. Just the fact that it was in your car seems like a weak case against you. If you would have had the proper attorney, they might have reduced the charge.......just look at OJ Simpson, who got out of a murder charge with damning evidence against him. All due to a slick attorney.

try to get your record expunged if you can.
Ryan wrote:
<quoted text>
Your right there is two sides but all that they told me was that the fact was that I was no longer with the dept and that the gear was not turned in so why else would of had it, I just took my time getting it turned in becuase at the time I was about to have heart surgery and I was hoping I could get my job back, I was not able to after the heart surgery but I can see where they were comming from. I'm not saying I shouldent of gotten the charge I got I just dont think It should effect me from getting jobs after all I was in the army and had a perfect service record, now my DD214 dosent mean shit
Skeptic

Danvers, MA

#1296 May 4, 2010
Justice in the United States is not always just, a few people on death row have been released due to results of persistent attorney advocates finding DNA testing exonerates them.

Also, see how we kiss the backsides of Muslim terrorists that want to kill us, these 3 terrorists they're going to give trials to??? Also, the Nigerian who tried to blow up an airplane on Christmas day, getting a lovely trial, just like if he were a USA citizen.....ridiculous.

Better to be rich and guilty, than poor and innocent.
OJ Simpson, Bernie Madoff, Charles Rangel, etc........
Ryan wrote:
<quoted text>
Private

United States

#1297 May 5, 2010
gaw wrote:
<quoted text>
So what do you suggest we do with the many who are willing to work but keep getting turned down? How will they survive? I imagine that many turn to crime in order to survive. This hurts everyone. These people are not our responsibility but they are our problem whether we want to admit it or not.
I just wanted to say that I agree that if they did there time and they are trying to do the right thing now then we are going to have to help them because this is still our problem. Also i believe that a lot of these felons are innocent maybe not all. but I have learned alot lately when it comes to our justice department as well as our police and sheriff's departments there is quite a bit of corruption going on at least in Broward County, Florida and i'm sure thats not the only place.

“follow me <3”

#1298 May 5, 2010
A cop out, no earthly reason with all the gov. programs, that there is for stealing. Sorry, still no sympathy. Church programs, local programs hel l, even good friends wont let you starve. If your a gang banger, then rot in jail. I don't understand why they allow all these people out of jail, when obviously they are not fit to be in society. I understand the jails and prisons are over-crowded, So I say for a start,
1. For the pedophiles- a ten cent bullet. I dont want that twisted thinking around anyone I love or anyone for that matter.
Did you know there is an island of the coast that they "rehabilitate" pedophiles? I heard that and I about died. There is NO such thing as rehabbing a pedophile.
It is easier to just put um down, they are obviously so sick and have unresolveble issues, so just do them a favor, like a horse, just put um out of our misery.(thier misery).. Oops.
2. For The terrorists, again, ten cenner, hey you don't need a stupid court trial to know you had intentions of blowing up or conspiring, just takem out back and shoot um. period.

So, I state that no more American taxpayers money should not be going towards stupidity. What you think? Just for a start.

“follow me <3”

#1299 May 5, 2010
Why do you think they do that? Because they know we wont shoot um. Its easy here in the U.S. to come and do WHATEVER you want. You get a cushy stay free squares and playtime. Bullshnit. But hey, we do make it easy for them. There is no emediate consequences for their behavior. That dude needs to be shot. The one who did the Times Square Debacle A mere slap on the wrist. Shame. I wonder how long were gonna house that creep?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min Incognito4Ever 1,115,076
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 49 min welcome home 50,029
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 1 hr Frijoles 69,490
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 2 hr Who 46,993
Grocery Coupon and saving your pennies 2 hr Susan 1
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr WelbyMD 178,583
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 4 hr PEllen 98,344

Chicago Jobs

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]