If ex-felons pay their dues to societ...

If ex-felons pay their dues to society, let's give them a chanc...

There are 1166 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Jun 8, 2008, titled If ex-felons pay their dues to society, let's give them a chanc.... In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

I submit that Virginians are idiots. Not idiots wholesale, and not every single citizen, but certainly too many of those who make our laws and far too many of those who elect them.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

true

Charlottesville, VA

#1259 Apr 7, 2010
Francois wrote:
Non-violent offenders should have never been in jail to begin with. The only results we get from that are billions of wasted tax dollars and effectively creating criminals out of normal people.
the US has the highest prison population in the world - the top ten are:
1 United States of America 2,085,620
2 China 1,548,498
3 Russian Federation 763,054
4 Brazil 330,642
5 India 313,635
6 Ukraine 198,386
7 Mexico 191,890
8 South Africa 186,739
9 Thailand 168,264
10 Iran 133,658
Why is "the land of the free" the home of so many incarcerated people?
Notice no EU countries on the top 10 list?- We should pay close attention to how the governments there consider the welfare of their people more than corporate earnings.
What gets
me so upset, is so soon we forget the purported studies and findings of academia. Just a few overwhelming stats for your consumption, in 1970 there were 300,00 people incarcerated in the US and now there is 2.3 million and guess who has always been the majority there. If you said African-Americans and Latinos, ding-ding, you are correct and the disturbing fact is minorities currently make up 85% of the current inmate population and for every three black men one of them is a felon.
Is it not obvious that once you become a felon you lose majority of your constitutional freedoms and since minorities are the ones most affected by these stigmas it serves to show why the America is not to keen on fixing the problem. Instead they implement further privatization of correctional institution in rural White areas and those communities therefore benefit from an increased population in governmental subsidies and funding.
Please read this article get a better understanding of the mass incarceration of minorities in America click or paste in your address bar http://pureblacktruth.wordpress.com/2010/03/2... -******-has-been-resurrected/.
I'll leave you with this once you?re branded a felon, you may be denied the right to vote; automatically excluded from juries; and legally discriminated against in employment, housing, access to education and public benefits. You know, the very rights that we supposedly won for African Americans in the civil rights movement no longer exist for those labeled felons. That?s why I say we have not ended racial caste in America; we've merely redesigned it. All the old forms of discrimination, the forms of discrimination we supposedly left behind, are now perfectly legal once you've been labeled a felon. And thanks to the war on drugs, millions of people of color have been branded felons for relatively minor drug activity in the past few decades.
we have the highest rate because we have fussy feel good laws, take russia, they will beat your ass and lock you up.
Rachel

United States

#1260 Apr 19, 2010
mr poophead wrote:
<quoted text> most of the ex cons ,...got the answer right ,...they just thought it was such a 'common sense ' answer --they didn't bother responding ,..
Talked to your dad last night. Says it's awful hot at his place.
Not A Pothead

Gloucester, VA

#1261 Apr 19, 2010
true wrote:
<quoted text>
we have the highest rate because we have fussy feel good laws, take russia, they will beat your **** and lock you up.
Then you dont mind if I break into your house, steal all your valuables, and take your car? AS long as I don't hurt anybody, why should I go to jail?
pooperscooper

AOL

#1262 Apr 20, 2010
Rachel wrote:
<quoted text>
Talked to your dad last night. Says it's awful hot at his place.
awfuly hot in hell !- you must be a devil girl --
he always did like screwing dumb bimbos like you ,....
at least he doesnt need to worry about your constant herpies out breaks ,..-
as it is common down there in hadies
right ?
Ryan

Spotsylvania, VA

#1263 Apr 20, 2010
Just thought I would add something to this... the way courts are now it is to easy to become a felon. I have a felony conviction for grand larceny. I got that charge becuase I worked for the fire dept. When I left the dept I took my time turning in the gear. I got pulled over for not using my turn signal and the cop saw my turn out gear in the back seat and called the fire dept to make sure it was not stolen. Well he called them and they said he no longer works for us it is stolen, The judge said if i left the fire dept I should of turned it in. I served in the army as a infantrymen and thought for sure I would have a great job for the rest of my life. I have nothing on my record except that but no one cares what the reson is behind the charge they just see grand larceny and say fuck you, I am going to try and get it pardoned or if VA even allows records to be expunged I will but for now i'm screwed. jobs need to look more into why the conviction occured
Rachel

United States

#1264 Apr 20, 2010
pooperscooper wrote:
<quoted text>awfuly hot in hell !- you must be a devil girl --
he always did like screwing dumb bimbos like you ,....
at least he doesnt need to worry about your constant herpies out breaks ,..-
as it is common down there in hadies
right ?
Try 'herpes' and 'Hades,' moron.
bob

Omaha, NE

#1265 Apr 20, 2010
okay so we dont give felons a second chance... what are they supposed to do rob banks and commit burglaries to feed there families
true

Charlottesville, VA

#1266 Apr 20, 2010
Not A Pothead wrote:
<quoted text>Then you dont mind if I break into your house, steal all your valuables, and take your car? AS long as I don't hurt anybody, why should I go to jail?
now that would be a big mistake, and only one to testify to it

“follow me <3”

Since: Feb 10

home is where your heart is

#1267 Apr 21, 2010
bob wrote:
okay so we dont give felons a second chance... what are they supposed to do rob banks and commit burglaries to feed there families
Good news people I hear even if you get your felony off your record (pay good money too) here in the U.S. If you try to go into Canada they wont let you in, your an undesirable. So, where you gonna get a job, take back some of the jobs that the illegal mexicans have. Build your own business, or don't have a family. Why would you want to anyway and have them looked upon in shame or pity. Oh, dear I am feeling touchy this morning. Ohh, monkey boy (claps hands)... coffee please..
Not A Pothead

Saluda, VA

#1268 Apr 21, 2010
bob wrote:
No, why not let them become police officers or teachers?
Not A Pothead

Saluda, VA

#1269 Apr 21, 2010
Ryan wrote:
Just thought I would add something to this... the way courts are now it is to easy to become a felon. I have a felony conviction for grand larceny. I got that charge becuase I worked for the fire dept. When I left the dept I took my time turning in the gear. I got pulled over for not using my turn signal and the cop saw my turn out gear in the back seat and called the fire dept to make sure it was not stolen. Well he called them and they said he no longer works for us it is stolen, The judge said if i left the fire dept I should of turned it in. I served in the army as a infantrymen and thought for sure I would have a great job for the rest of my life. I have nothing on my record except that but no one cares what the reson is behind the charge they just see grand larceny and say **** you, I am going to try and get it pardoned or if VA even allows records to be expunged I will but for now i'm screwed. jobs need to look more into why the conviction occured
Thats your side of the story. There are always two sides.
chuckycheez_68

Edwardsville, IL

#1270 Apr 21, 2010
flockewe2 wrote:
the fact that they are free,...walking the streets,... shows we allready give them more than a seconed chance,... i see murderers kill for a seconed third and even fourth time ,.....criminals know they will be let loose ,.....sooner than later ,.....at least in illnois ,...you cons , in other states should move here !--knock up a few women --have as many kids as you wish ,..we will pay for the cost of raising and housing all of them ,....you can get your degree in stateville ,...on our dime ,....and when you are free get a job in cook co. govt. illnois welcomes all excons -----come to the land of lincoln ! we will treat you right !
You forgot that immediately after release from prison, voting rights are automatically restored here.
Ryan

Spotsylvania, VA

#1271 Apr 21, 2010
Not A Pothead wrote:
<quoted text>Thats your side of the story. There are always two sides.
Your right there is two sides but all that they told me was that the fact was that I was no longer with the dept and that the gear was not turned in so why else would of had it, I just took my time getting it turned in becuase at the time I was about to have heart surgery and I was hoping I could get my job back, I was not able to after the heart surgery but I can see where they were comming from. I'm not saying I shouldent of gotten the charge I got I just dont think It should effect me from getting jobs after all I was in the army and had a perfect service record, now my DD214 dosent mean shit
Paula

Lawndale, NC

#1272 Apr 21, 2010
27% 0f all blacks go to jail

56% of blacks have genital herpies

If you are a smart person, you would leave these people alone, beleive me!!!

Nothing good comes out of any relationship with these people,parasites to say the least. Love those welfare programs and gangster dealings!!!
true

Charlottesville, VA

#1273 Apr 22, 2010
Not A Pothead wrote:
<quoted text>Thats your side of the story. There are always two sides.
i think he was trying to steal the gear, and left out the part that he had it for over probly a year
Mort

Petersburg, VA

#1274 Apr 22, 2010
Richard Harris wrote:
The idea that when you commit a felony and serve a reduced sentence (since most get probation as opposed to long term jail sentences), you are somehow entitled to special treatment because you've done your time is absurd. You make your choices in life and must live with the consequences. When there are plenty of law abiding citizens out there in need of a job we shoul not give felons preferential treatment.
you are part of the problem.
Mort

Petersburg, VA

#1275 Apr 22, 2010
Smithfield Bill wrote:
When you commit a felony you surrender your rights. There should be no oportunity to vote or hold public office ever again.
most felons have no desire to vote or hold public office.
Mort

Petersburg, VA

#1276 Apr 22, 2010
Douglas wrote:
<quoted text>
How about turn over a decent weeks work and get paid and not turn to crime. They need to be men and make their's and not be babies and wait for someone to change thier diaper.
the laws need to be revised about hiring felons.period.
true

Charlottesville, VA

#1277 Apr 22, 2010
Mort wrote:
<quoted text>most felons have no desire to vote or hold public office.
marion barry does
Mort

Petersburg, VA

#1278 Apr 22, 2010
Donna Atlanta GA wrote:
<quoted text>
As the mother of a "felon", I can tell you I WILL vote for anyone who realizes the destruction current drug laws do in this nation. I'm not a "felon" myself, but I will vote against anything that harms good people for judgment errors.
drugs heroin,cocaine should be given free to addicts.if it gets so bad help to kick should be available 24/7.quit putting them in jail.give them the choice of life or death.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min shinningelectr0n 1,251,797
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 20 min Mrkoco 192,305
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 26 min IBdaMann 53,990
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 6 hr Sublime1 99,902
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 13 hr RACE 6,144
Word (Dec '08) 13 hr RACE 5,325
Dear Abby July 3, 2015 13 hr RACE 5
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages