If ex-felons pay their dues to society, let's give them a chanc...

Full story: Hampton Roads Daily Press

I submit that Virginians are idiots. Not idiots wholesale, and not every single citizen, but certainly too many of those who make our laws and far too many of those who elect them.
Comments
41 - 60 of 1,167 Comments Last updated Dec 7, 2012

“Tell the Truth”

Since: Nov 07

Orlando, Florida

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2008

Judged:

Dennis S wrote:
The right to vote must not be considered 'precious' by the majority of people since most do not vote except in presidiential elections. So, why should convicted felons (who are likely to vote for less law enforcement and more government giveaways) be given their right to vote back? This idea is definately about enlarging the liberal Democrat voting base.
As the mother of a "felon", I can tell you I WILL vote for anyone who realizes the destruction current drug laws do in this nation. I'm not a "felon" myself, but I will vote against anything that harms good people for judgment errors.
FelonyAnn

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2008

Judged:

What the hell is wrong with you people?

Not all Felons are criminals.
Not all Felony charges come from violent circumstances.
Not all Felons have been to prison.

Example: I was young and stupid and got myself a DUI. I was guilty of the charge and took my lumps. I never got another DUI.
I DID however rack myself up a few DWLS charges. I was living in my car (young female, no family to turn to for help, did everything I could to just not become a victim of some terrible circumstance I could have so easily been in with all the pervs offering me "help"). Having no valid drivers license was the LEAST of my troubles.
I didn't answer to a lot of my charges in court and lived for a while knowing that if I got pulled over I would no doubt be going to jail.
And I did got to jail. I had to answer for 4 separate DWLS charges in 3 different counties. I ended up spending 180 days in one jail and 29 days in another. When I was arrested I chose to stay in jail rather than bail out. How else was I going to meet all my court dates in 3 separate counties without a drivers license?
The 4th DWLS is a FELONY charge. Because the multiple DWLS charges were all obtained in a short period of time (over a year, I think), and by law I think you're only allowed one or two DWLS charges in a 5 year span.

Now I ask you - am I a criminal? Do I deserve to be labeled a FELON?
I have a hard time accepting that I have to tell people I am a felon, "but don't worry I'm not a bad person, it was over my DL."

Since: Jun 08

Newport News, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2008

Judged:

NYC via MD wrote:
sweet e pie,
"There are a lot of good people to help in this nation let the felons rot in hell. They made their bed let them sleep in it. I could care less about some s.o.b. like these people"
You are absolutely correct when you say their are alot of good people in this nation. However you just told some of them they can rot in hell.
There is no such thing as a good felon!!!! May they all rot in HELL.
Been there

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2008

Judged:

Donna Atlanta GA wrote:
<quoted text>
As the mother of a "felon", I can tell you I WILL vote for anyone who realizes the destruction current drug laws do in this nation. I'm not a "felon" myself, but I will vote against anything that harms good people for judgment errors.
Don't label your son a felon. He made a mistake pure and simple. Look at the last 2 presidents. clinton admitted to smoking weed. Bush in a known alcoholic and cocaine user. Yes, the drug laws need to be reformed. Oh and here's the latest congress record.
* 29 members of Congress have been accused of spousal abuse.
* 7 have been arrested for fraud.
* 19 have been accused of writing bad checks.
* 117 have bankrupted at least two businesses.
* 3 have been arrested for assault.
* 71 have credit reports so bad they can't qualify for a
credit card.
* 14 have been arrested on drug-related charges.
* 8 have been arrested for shoplifting.
* 21 are current defendants in lawsuits.
* And in 1998 alone, 84 were stopped for drunk driving, but released after they claimed Congressional immunity.
Been there

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2008

Judged:

Sweet-e-Pie wrote:
<quoted text>There is no such thing as a good felon!!!! May they all rot in HELL.
Go back to molesting your sheep, kicking your dog and abusing your wife you fruit.
FelonyAnn

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2008

Judged:

I have a FELONY charge on my record. I'm a FELON. I have NOT been investigated for any crime EVER in my whole life. I have NOT been arrested in the last 10 years (prior to that I was arrested over my Drivers License). But I am a FELON. I have A SINGLE FELONY charge so I MUST BE A BAD PERSON.
According to most of these posts I should rot in hell? Thanks for that eye opening look into how naive the general public can be.
Alpa Chino

Hicksville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2008

Judged:

What the HELL is an ex-felon??????
Once a felon, always a felon. As terrible as it is.
NN Native

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2008

Judged:

OK, here is a compromise: After the felon gets released from prison, allow the ex-felon to be able to send a package to the governor's office after a 2 year waiting period of time. The governor's office would review the package and check for income tax returns, education status, maybe interview the felon's boss and/or co-workers, where the ex-con lives (able to rent an appt or living with family) etc,. Then governor's office would then make a determination after reviewing the package. The decision will be the sole descresion of the Gov. If the Gov denies the voting rights, the ex-felon would have to wait five years before he could apply again. This process would show if the ex-felon was productive and responsibile since being released and gives the felon something (goal ) to achieve. Its a win-win for everyone. Ex-felon gets to vote and you have a TAX-paying citizen back into society.
Been there

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2008

Judged:

Alpa Chino wrote:
What the HELL is an ex-felon??????
Once a felon, always a felon. As terrible as it is.
Does your Mother know your on the computer?
I thought you were grounded.
Bruce

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2008

Judged:

Criminals are the base of the Democrat party!!!!
Dave W

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2008

Judged:

lol...funny.
Sweet-e-Pie wrote:
<quoted text>There is no such thing as a good felon!!!! May they all rot in HELL.
Been there

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2008

Judged:

NN Native wrote:
OK, here is a compromise: After the felon gets released from prison, allow the ex-felon to be able to send a package to the governor's office after a 2 year waiting period of time. The governor's office would review the package and check for income tax returns, education status, maybe interview the felon's boss and/or co-workers, where the ex-con lives (able to rent an appt or living with family) etc,. Then governor's office would then make a determination after reviewing the package. The decision will be the sole descresion of the Gov. If the Gov denies the voting rights, the ex-felon would have to wait five years before he could apply again. This process would show if the ex-felon was productive and responsibile since being released and gives the felon something (goal ) to achieve. Its a win-win for everyone. Ex-felon gets to vote and you have a TAX-paying citizen back into society.
What makes you think all felons go to prison?
NN Native

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2008

Judged:

OK, with the semantics. AFTER your CONVICTION DATE, date you are released from Prison (if you went to prison), After you have completed your probation/parole requirements, or after a date the Dept of Corrections determine that you are "released" from their control...then the two year time period starts.
Parkville

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2008

Judged:

Been there wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't label your son a felon. He made a mistake pure and simple. Look at the last 2 presidents. clinton admitted to smoking weed. Bush in a known alcoholic and cocaine user. Yes, the drug laws need to be reformed. Oh and here's the latest congress record.
* 29 members of Congress have been accused of spousal abuse.
* 7 have been arrested for fraud.
* 19 have been accused of writing bad checks.
* 117 have bankrupted at least two businesses.
* 3 have been arrested for assault.
* 71 have credit reports so bad they can't qualify for a
credit card.
* 14 have been arrested on drug-related charges.
* 8 have been arrested for shoplifting.
* 21 are current defendants in lawsuits.
* And in 1998 alone, 84 were stopped for drunk driving, but released after they claimed Congressional immunity.
Wow! Those numbers are a lot lower than I would have expected.
Unemployed Unfortunately

Newport News, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2008

Judged:

gaw wrote:
<quoted text>
So what do you suggest we do with the many who are willing to work but keep getting turned down? How will they survive? I imagine that many turn to crime in order to survive. This hurts everyone. These people are not our responsibility but they are our problem whether we want to admit it or not.
Ok, I totally disagree with this comment. I got laid off by this lovely paper 7 months ago and have been looking for a job since. I have a Bachelor's degree and 2 years work experience in the newspaper industry. Yet, I can't find a job.

So, felons not being able to find a job is one thing, but being a college graduate with a clean slate not being able to find a job is far worse.
I'm not resorting to violence or selling drugs. That's just a cop out.
FelonyAnn

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2008

Judged:

NN Native wrote:
Um. They already kind of do that. Anyone with a felony charge on their record can petition the Governor's office to "Expunge" their record.
A felony charge, or any charge will always remain on an individual's record, but with enough $$$$$$ you could have your record sealed.
Been there

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2008

Judged:

NN Native wrote:
OK, with the semantics. AFTER your CONVICTION DATE, date you are released from Prison (if you went to prison), After you have completed your probation/parole requirements, or after a date the Dept of Corrections determine that you are "released" from their control...then the two year time period starts.
Doesn't really matter.
Currently, most states allow felons to vote, it's only a handful of states that don't. Your state California reinstated Felons right to vote back in 2006. Voting is not a priviledge but a right.
who is doing what

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2008

Judged:

TV Dad wrote:
There's no such thing as an "ex-felon". Once a felon...always a felon.
If a child who does not have the ability to reason commits a crime you figure they should be punished as an adult, I am wondering why that should be. A child of 16 with a felony record with no chance of rehabilitation. That just doesn't sit well. If anyone can tell me that they have never done anything stupid then you are better person than most, the truth is you didn't get caught. Those without sin cast the first stone.
Been There

Newport News, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2008

Judged:

Unemployed Unfortunately wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok, I totally disagree with this comment. I got laid off by this lovely paper 7 months ago and have been looking for a job since. I have a Bachelor's degree and 2 years work experience in the newspaper industry. Yet, I can't find a job.
So, felons not being able to find a job is one thing, but being a college graduate with a clean slate not being able to find a job is far worse.
I'm not resorting to violence or selling drugs. That's just a cop out.
Welcome to the world of Liberal beliefs. It is about time that the PC correct people are taken down a peg or two. These thugs should be at the bottom of the barrel. If you read the posts most of these Liberals donít even know what a felony is? That says a lot for government education. The idea that these people have a right to better treatment is totality wrong.
Been there

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2008

Judged:

FelonyAnn wrote:
<quoted text>
Um. They already kind of do that. Anyone with a felony charge on their record can petition the Governor's office to "Expunge" their record.
A felony charge, or any charge will always remain on an individual's record, but with enough $$$$$$ you could have your record sealed.
Actually Ann that's not entirely correct.
After having served your sentence and depending on the conviction (here in maryland for a drug charge you have to wait 15 years after your probation ends) then you can petition the Governor for a Pardon. If the Governor grants the pardon, you have to wait an additional 5 years and then you can apply to have your record expunged. When the record is expunged, it is in essence gone, wiped clean. None of this has anything to do with $$$
Anyone in Maryland convicted of a misdemeanor can have there record expunged after a certain amount of time, it's no different than having your traffic record expunged.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min EasyEed 1,099,659
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 11 min DrZhivago 49,446
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 18 min truth-facts 46,292
AP Exclusive: Union members appointed after $10... (Mar '08) 25 min Stanky Pete 7,560
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 26 min LRS 177,316
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 1 hr Phil Indeblanc 97,917
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 2 hr 40ish 4,661
•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••