If ex-felons pay their dues to society, let's give them a chanc...

I submit that Virginians are idiots. Not idiots wholesale, and not every single citizen, but certainly too many of those who make our laws and far too many of those who elect them. Full Story
Been there

Baltimore, MD

#27 Aug 13, 2008
Smithfield Bill wrote:
When you commit a felony you surrender your rights. There should be no oportunity to vote or hold public office ever again.
That's nice Bill, your a real humanitarian. To sin is human but to forgive divine. It's called paying your debt to society when you make a mistake. I was convicted of a felony when I was 19. It's been almost 30 years now and I'll have that record forever barring a Presidential or Governor pardon. I was going to a party with a friend and I had a bag of weed. Yes, when it's an ounce they call intent to distribute. I was never in any trouble before or after this one time youthful indiscrection. I went on to graduate college Magna Cum Laude. I have a wonderful family, great job and I also have my own business. I also am very active in my community. Luckily in Maryland convicted felons are allowed to vote. Twice convicted felons are not. If we go by your way of thinking Bill, I think if you're caught speeding you should have your license taken away and should never be allowed to drive again..no..you should never ever be allowed in an automobile.
Been there

Baltimore, MD

#28 Aug 13, 2008
Larry wrote:
<quoted text>
Because prison isn't about rehabilitation...it's about justice and punishment! Don't want to lose your rights...don't be a criminal. PERIOD!
Prison is about rehabilitation, and it is also about punishment and justice.
I think people should have a certain IQ level in order to vote..you sir would fail.
sjw

Rockville, MD

#29 Aug 13, 2008
Unfortunately there is no rehabilitation in prision. It's only about housing and containment. It would also be nice if there was a posibility for rehabilitation for a majority of them.
NYC via MD

Union, NJ

#31 Aug 13, 2008
I have a friend who is a convicted felon. It has been 20 + years since his conviction and release from incarceration and he is one of the most conservative thinkers when it comes to crime and punishment.
He is more conservative than some of your staunch republicans when it comes to crime.
So that elementary thinking of if you allow convicted felons to have voting rights they are going to be soft on crime is in most times wrong.
Most felons have their finger on the pulse of what makes a person commit crime. So if we were to survey felons on the topic of crime we would be quite surprise of the outcome.
Parkville

White Marsh, MD

#32 Aug 13, 2008
The idea that ex-felons can't vote is kind of funny. It's sort of like saying that baseball players can't vote for the all-star team. Let's see...so and so can't vote for Ted Kennedy, for example, because they were convicted of drunk-driving. See the irony in that?
NYC via MD

Union, NJ

#36 Aug 13, 2008
NN Thug
"all my frieds is either ex felons or presently felons and I think they deserve another change"

If your friends are anything like you, than all of you need remedial spelling classes.

Its ironic to me how people pass judgement without knowing someone's reason or ration for doing what they've done.
I do not condone criminal behavior. However if you have done your time, paid your debt, you should be allowed to move forward with your life.
sjw

Rockville, MD

#37 Aug 13, 2008
Just one problem, they committed the act and must pay. And part of that paying back of society is losing your right to vote. It's the law. Get over it.

It's just the Dems in Baltimore wanting more Dems enrolled so they can fix elections even more. It's bad enough they have dead people voting.
Douglas

Charlottesville, VA

#38 Aug 13, 2008
gaw wrote:
<quoted text>
So what do you suggest we do with the many who are willing to work but keep getting turned down? How will they survive? I imagine that many turn to crime in order to survive. This hurts everyone. These people are not our responsibility but they are our problem whether we want to admit it or not.
How about turn over a decent weeks work and get paid and not turn to crime. They need to be men and make their's and not be babies and wait for someone to change thier diaper.

“Tell the Truth”

Since: Nov 07

Orlando, Florida

#40 Aug 13, 2008
What kinds of crimes are we talking about? Are you lumping non-violent offenders in with rapists and murderers?

At the age of 18, when so many young people lack good judgment, my son was arrested for possession of ONE (yes, just one) Klonapin pill. It's a prescription medication similar to Valium.

He now carries a felony record for the rest of his life. He's a high school graduate, had never been in trouble before, and has been on probation for 4 years. My son will never be able to vote and he will never be able to own a firearm, even though his crime had nothing to do with violence. He's about as harmful to society as a kitten.

For those who believe "FELON" is reserved for gangbangers and armed robbers, you need to be re-educated. Felony convictions are being handed out right and left and they are ruining people's lives.

Who among us has not done something, especially when we were young, that was illegal? The difference is some people get caught and some don't.

Let's reserve felony convictions for those people who deserve them - the dangerous criminals in our country.

“Tell the Truth”

Orlando, Florida

#41 Aug 13, 2008
Been there wrote:
<quoted text>
That's nice Bill, your a real humanitarian. To sin is human but to forgive divine. It's called paying your debt to society when you make a mistake. I was convicted of a felony when I was 19. It's been almost 30 years now and I'll have that record forever barring a Presidential or Governor pardon. I was going to a party with a friend and I had a bag of weed. Yes, when it's an ounce they call intent to distribute. I was never in any trouble before or after this one time youthful indiscrection. I went on to graduate college Magna Cum Laude. I have a wonderful family, great job and I also have my own business. I also am very active in my community. Luckily in Maryland convicted felons are allowed to vote. Twice convicted felons are not. If we go by your way of thinking Bill, I think if you're caught speeding you should have your license taken away and should never be allowed to drive again..no..you should never ever be allowed in an automobile.
I'm glad you've been able to get past what happened 30 years ago. What's sad is that you carry that conviction with you, like a silent Scarlet Letter, for something that did absolutely no harm to society. You didn't kill, maim, rob, rape or scar anyone.

Maybe it's time all non-violent offenders who have been saddled with the burden of a felony come forward and demand their rights back. Drug convictions are destructive and an incredible waste of time, energy and money. No one's life should be ruined by a simple drug offense.

“God, spouse, family, community”

Since: Jun 08

Newport News since 1980

#42 Aug 13, 2008
The right to vote must not be considered 'precious' by the majority of people since most do not vote except in presidiential elections. So, why should convicted felons (who are likely to vote for less law enforcement and more government giveaways) be given their right to vote back? This idea is definately about enlarging the liberal Democrat voting base.
NYC via MD

Union, NJ

#44 Aug 13, 2008
SJW,
"It's just the Dems in Baltimore wanting more Dems enrolled so they can fix elections even more. It's bad enough they have dead people voting."
Could you be any more mis-informed?
Your next door neighbor could be a felon. Your buddies from highschool.
Like I stated before I have friends who are felons and they are now the most law abidding citizens anyone would want to know. They pay their taxes. They improve the quality of life for their communities and most of them are very hard on crime. Despite growing up and participating in criminal acts when they were teens.
I just thought of something- for all of you who say felons should not have the right to vote does this mean you support Jack Abrahoff losing his rights to vote? Abrahoff, the republican lobbyist who shook down the native americans.
sjw

Rockville, MD

#45 Aug 13, 2008
NYC via MD wrote:
SJW,
"It's just the Dems in Baltimore wanting more Dems enrolled so they can fix elections even more. It's bad enough they have dead people voting."
Could you be any more mis-informed?
Your next door neighbor could be a felon. Your buddies from highschool.
Like I stated before I have friends who are felons and they are now the most law abidding citizens anyone would want to know. They pay their taxes. They improve the quality of life for their communities and most of them are very hard on crime. Despite growing up and participating in criminal acts when they were teens.
I just thought of something- for all of you who say felons should not have the right to vote does this mean you support Jack Abrahoff losing his rights to vote? Abrahoff, the republican lobbyist who shook down the native americans.
You don't even live here. Please go bug your own state. Oh, I forgot you got rid of Spitzer the con. There are proven facts of election tampering in Baltimore (going way back to Edgar Allen Poe's time as well) of fraudulant voting of people who are DEAD. Now they want to get fellons to vote since unfortunately a lot of fellons are minorities and would tend to vote Dem. That's all this is about.

Since: Jun 08

Newport News, VA

#46 Aug 13, 2008
There are a lot of good people to help in this nation let the felons rot in hell. They made their bed let them sleep in it. I could care less about some s.o.b. like these people
NYC via MD

Union, NJ

#47 Aug 13, 2008
sjw,

In the state of Maryland after you serve your time and are no longer on parole or probation you get your voting rights restored.
I agree there has been some funny business around voting in the state of Maryland and other places as well. But its not just one side of the aisle. Both parties are guilty of playing "hide the numbers" or "add the dead" voting game.
NYC via MD

Union, NJ

#48 Aug 13, 2008
sweet e pie,
"There are a lot of good people to help in this nation let the felons rot in hell. They made their bed let them sleep in it. I could care less about some s.o.b. like these people"
You are absolutely correct when you say their are alot of good people in this nation. However you just told some of them they can rot in hell.
maxfield

Orange City, FL

#50 Aug 13, 2008
Smithfield Bill wrote:
When you commit a felony you surrender your rights. There should be no oportunity to vote or hold public office ever again.
Thank you for that statement. It's called the "consequence of your actions."
maxfield

Orange City, FL

#51 Aug 13, 2008
Female Driver wrote:
There's a man who lives down the street and he looks really creepy. I bet he's a felon. He sure looks like a felon.
What do "felons" look like? Do they resemble "misdemeanors?"
Been there

Baltimore, MD

#52 Aug 14, 2008
Dennis S wrote:
The right to vote must not be considered 'precious' by the majority of people since most do not vote except in presidiential elections. So, why should convicted felons (who are likely to vote for less law enforcement and more government giveaways) be given their right to vote back? This idea is definately about enlarging the liberal Democrat voting base.
I got a little news for you Dennis, I'm a staunch Republican, I've never voted for a Democrat in my life. And if you look at the history of Maryland, Democrats don't give Pardons. Glendening never did but Erlich gave many, and so far O'Malley hasn't issued one. It's the Republicans that are passionate and realize that people deserve a second chance after making a mistake not Dems. And it's the Republicans who believe in less government involvement in peoples lives not the Dems. You should really educate yourself.

“Tell the Truth”

Orlando, Florida

#53 Aug 14, 2008
Yolanda wrote:
<quoted text>
he a drug pusher and a scourage on our socity and the chillens. he desrve be a felon.
That was certainly a waste of space.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 5 min KiMare 49,754
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 9 min Earthling-1 46,556
Revisiting the early days of Chicago's social-d... 1 hr suoper hard 2
Biology & geography answers has been posted her... 1 hr Showboy1234 1
Real And Confirmed Waec GCE 2014 Biology Altern... 1 hr ToscoBoy 2
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 hr bab4 1,108,389
Song Titles Only (group/artist in parenthesis m... (Mar '10) 4 hr SLY WEST 7,778
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 4 hr Learn to Read 177,941
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••