If ex-felons pay their dues to society, let's give them a chanc...

Full story: Hampton Roads Daily Press

I submit that Virginians are idiots. Not idiots wholesale, and not every single citizen, but certainly too many of those who make our laws and far too many of those who elect them.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of1,167
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Corporate Clam

Suffolk, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2008

Judged:

Again, does the DP hire felons? Lots of talk about what others SHOULD do, but what does the DP do?

Other than publish yet another sanctimonious editorial from Tamara, that is.
Richard Harris

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 9, 2008

Judged:

The idea that when you commit a felony and serve a reduced sentence (since most get probation as opposed to long term jail sentences), you are somehow entitled to special treatment because you've done your time is absurd. You make your choices in life and must live with the consequences. When there are plenty of law abiding citizens out there in need of a job we shoul not give felons preferential treatment.
gaw

Huntsville, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 9, 2008

Judged:

Richard Harris wrote:
When there are plenty of law abiding citizens out there in need of a job we shoul not give felons preferential treatment.
So what do you suggest we do with the many who are willing to work but keep getting turned down? How will they survive? I imagine that many turn to crime in order to survive. This hurts everyone. These people are not our responsibility but they are our problem whether we want to admit it or not.
Will Kofa

Portsmouth, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 9, 2008

Judged:

I am leaning to saying OK if it is a first time offender. Clean record afterwards and has shown some promise. By some promise I mean he has graduated from high school or gotten a GED. Some post high school education would be a plus. But we all must remember that we are talking about the criminals who were stupid enough to get caught. We have enough stupid voters out there now.
backatyou

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 9, 2008

Judged:

Surry with a fringe wrote:
There should be longer term punishment after going to jail that will serve to remind lawbreakers of their deeds. The cry to restore voting for criminals is a liberal trick to get more votes, not to restore pride.
You are 100% correct.That's all it is a left wing attempt at getting more votes.I think i would go even a step further and say taht you should have to be employed to vote that way you have something vested in the country and not just voting for the wrong reason.
Surry with a fringe

Falls Church, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 9, 2008

Judged:

Paying the unemployed and driving them to the polls has been going on for years. Providing convicts the same privilege just makes it worse. That being said, I don't think that people with addictions should be put in jail, next to the killer of the week. They may have some value in them yet, but the killers, molesters, rapists, etc can rot in hell.
Crack Head

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 9, 2008

Judged:

gaw wrote:
<quoted text>
So what do you suggest we do with the many who are willing to work but keep getting turned down? How will they survive? I imagine that many turn to crime in order to survive. This hurts everyone. These people are not our responsibility but they are our problem whether we want to admit it or not.
turn to crime in order to survive??? That is such a poor excuse.
Joe

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 9, 2008

Judged:

When does the punishment for convicts end? Why should they continue to be disallowed the same rights and privledges as non-felons? They whole idea of the criminal justice system is the convicted are imprisoned and rehabilitated. When they are released, they should be of use to society. It seems America is a society that enjoys punishing people forever. Some criminals can turn over a new leaf and be upstanding citizens. Other should never be let out.
Smithfield Bill

Duncan, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 9, 2008

Judged:

When you commit a felony you surrender your rights. There should be no oportunity to vote or hold public office ever again.
Larry

Virginia Beach, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 9, 2008

Judged:

Joe wrote:
When does the punishment for convicts end? Why should they continue to be disallowed the same rights and privledges as non-felons? They whole idea of the criminal justice system is the convicted are imprisoned and rehabilitated. When they are released, they should be of use to society. It seems America is a society that enjoys punishing people forever. Some criminals can turn over a new leaf and be upstanding citizens. Other should never be let out.
Because prison isn't about rehabilitation...it's about justice and punishment! Don't want to lose your rights...don't be a criminal. PERIOD!
Joe

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 9, 2008

Judged:

It seems a country founded on Christian priciples has lost all of them. And research your history. The prison system in this country is based on the rehabilitative model designed to reform criminals into law abiding citizens. I never said it worked.
Will Kofa

Portsmouth, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 9, 2008

Judged:

Joe wrote:
Well they have shown they will abuse their rights to the detriment of others. Now it has been said you should give a dog one bite. But you have to look closely at the beast. If their actions show contrition and they have not wasted the tax payer's money in the school system, give them a chance. But one chance is all they get. Of course there are unique circumstances. After all who wants a sex offender around children.
Dan

Barberton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2008

Judged:

Some of you write some idiotic comments and some of you probably know the problems with finding a job from being an ex felon. I committed a crime in 1986, went on the run for two years, got caught in 1988. I did five years, end of determined sentence. I've been out since 1993 and haven't been back. I have a high school diploma, an Associate Degree in Business and am currenty working on another Associate in Information Services & Support. I will complete spring 2009. I have been paying for my education through financial aid and student loans.
I haven't had a job for three years. No one wants to hire me. I'll take that back. I can get a job at a local factory if I get experience from the local Job & Family Services, who wont give me the training I need because I have a CDL, which in turn, I can't get a driving job because I'm an ex felon and those stupid terrorists back on 9/11.
I'm actually a nice guy but the retention against me and others like me in finding meaningful, gainful employment, is nil.
The only step I have is to totally change my identity. It can be done by ruining my great credit score of 715, having someone steal my SSN and credit card info, and just wreck havoc. I can then go get a new name and SSN and start over. Back ground checks do not check previous identities, lol.
I wont be back on this form, I surfed in. If you post a good comment, I'll feel the vibe, negative comments, you'll just be talking to yourself and the rest of the idiots that think like you do.
Muslim Patriot

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2008

Judged:

backatyou wrote:
<quoted text>You are 100% correct.That's all it is a left wing attempt at getting more votes.I think i would go even a step further and say taht you should have to be employed to vote that way you have something vested in the country and not just voting for the wrong reason.
Nah, you're way off base here. We need to go back to the way it was over 200 years ago. The only people who should be allowed to vote are white monied land owners. No women. No minorities. No renters. No poor people. If you are white, wealthy, and own property, then you are the only ones with a vested interest in the country. If you are white but not wealthy and/or do not own property you obviously do not give a crap about your country, so "No vote for you."
Pam

Fort Huachuca, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2008

Judged:

Some of these comments are proof positive that in America we don't kill our ignorant
czar

Winona Lake, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2008

Judged:

Virginians may go dem this fall.

If they do, it will prove they have gone bad.
sjw

Washington, DC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2008

Judged:

My comment is, you violated someone's rights by committing a criminal act. You should therefore have your rights taken away. If you can't function in society, how can you dictate what society does. It's real simple.
Surry with a fringe

Falls Church, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2008

Judged:

I don't see why a convicted felon should be accorded the same rights as a law abiding citizen. Served your time?? Good for you, now stay out of trouble for another 5 years and come back and see us about your rights.
sjw

Washington, DC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 13, 2008

Judged:

Pam wrote:
Some of these comments are proof positive that in America we don't kill our ignorant
Nor do we listen to people called 'Muslim Patriots' or their rantings.
Surf52

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 13, 2008

Judged:

If you are convicted of a felony, you are a felon. How do you become an ex-felon? Only if later found wrongly convicted could you ever become an ex-felon.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of1,167
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

67 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 2 min truth 47,094
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min flack 1,034,828
Four letter word game (Dec '11) 3 min RACE 1,164
Abby 4-20 6 min RACE 11
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 9 min Scrutiny 167,711
Abby 4-21 10 min Mister Tonka 4
Amy 4-21 12 min RACE 3
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 2 hr Go Blue Forever 96,160
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE