Dobson accuses Obama of 'distorting' Bible

There are 1363 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jun 23, 2008, titled Dobson accuses Obama of 'distorting' Bible. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

As Barack Obama broadens his outreach to evangelical voters, one of the movement's biggest names, James Dobson, accuses the likely Democratic presidential nominee of distorting the Bible and pushing a ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 69
Next Last
Mr Houston

Houston, TX

#3 Jun 23, 2008
I think the amount of comments on this board shows just how irrelevant Dr. Dobson has become.
Pepper

Chicago, IL

#4 Jun 23, 2008
Politics and religion and deadly mix just like oil and water. It will be very interesting to see who will win this election in November.
http://www.joboja.blogspot.com
Great Idea

Vernon Hills, IL

#6 Jun 23, 2008
I like to see posts like "Florida's". They don't make sense but every so OFTEN a word is CAPITALIZED so you know it is IMPORTANT.

And throw in a Hillary crack for good measure
parent

Northbrook, IL

#7 Jun 23, 2008
Jenny wrote:
Obama has distorted more than just the holy book. He is distorting his very fabric and cannot be trusted. A vote for Obama is a vote for marxism and extermist policies that will ruin America.
Jenny - What the heck are you talking about Jenny? Had any new thoughts since 1958?

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#8 Jun 23, 2008
"...a fruitcake interpretation of the Constitution"?

Thank you for that learned insight "Doctor" Dobson.

Not all Evangelicals are Reagan/Bush right wingers, though the right wingers used to be the only ones politically mobilized. Liberal and moderate Evangelicals have been there all along, people who are more along the lines of Jim Wallis or Tony Campolo, instead of Falwell, Robertson, or Dobson.

Dobson masterfully games the tax free exempt/political action boundaries. If you request a resource or send $10 to Focus on the Family, you will be recruited by Dobson's political arm to back Dobson-style candidates.

He's been at this for years, compiling a big mailing list. He sits at the GOP Childrens' Table of Power, where Republican Presidents since Reagan seat the Falwells and the Dobsons. Tolerated, flattered, seduced, but not too prominant.

Dobson this year is learning he's no Evangelical king maker. Despite his best efforts, John McCain is the Republican nominee. Not Fred Thompson or Rudy Guliani. He and his allies could not deliver for a neocon.

Even Barack Obama has spoken at a Saddleback Church conference. Obama is not being endorsed, but he knows where to mine for Evangelical votes.

Dobson was among the first Evangelical political organizers, but the world appears to be passing him and his kin by...

WLT

“Concerned citizen at work...”

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#9 Jun 23, 2008
Smokey wrote:
If Hillary isn't running, this democrat votes McCain...
People seem to have forgotten their right to not vote for the "official" candidates, but rather write in their personal choice. If those who supported Clinton during her campaign for the nomination, she would take a lot of votes away from Obama.

When it comes to choosing the lesser of two evils at the poles, I'd rather write in the person I originally supported who didn't make it through the primaries.
Big Kama

Skokie, IL

#10 Jun 23, 2008
Dobson is an idiot. Just more of the GOP slime campaign.

WLT

Location hidden

#11 Jun 23, 2008
I am of the opinion that, should any religious group, whether their financial support is taxed or not, should be stripped of their tax exemption status, when they put their two cents into the political arena. Whatever happened to separation of church and state. We do not live in a theocracy. We live in a Republic. A republic which is governed by a constitution. A constitution which gives you the right to practice any religion, but does not allow religion to persuade government. When that separation is trampled on by folks like Dobson and Focus on the Family, they should reap the consequences of their actions.
Big Kama

Skokie, IL

#12 Jun 23, 2008
Florida wrote:
The "NOOSE of LIBERALISM"
You may Need to get those Hillary Signs out again?
This November Election will be Better than Watching Howard Dean Fighting with "Skunks" at the "CORRUPT DNC Alley" over old "SKANK" with the Clinton Brood!
Inept Obama KLAN Elitist Howard Dean will offer "No Refunds or Exchange of Vote for Hillary during the Corrupt 08 Convention!"
Many More Thanks! to Florida and Michigan for Helping Obama with a "SELECTED NOT ELECTED WIN" since Florida and Michigans Vote did not Count...
Grand Gaffe `Master Howard Dean and the Corrupt DNC planned it that way...
Do you mean "Sit in the Back of the Bus?"
All Muslim Women who were "Denied Choice and Ridiculed at Obama's Public Speech," Should "SUE" the Campaign for for "Civil Rights Discrimination and Violations and Fee's." A pro-bono Lawyer's Wet Dream! Where's Race Cop Al Sharpton when you need Him?
All Votes were Final. However it's Never over until the "FAT LADY" Hillary sings!~
The "POISON of LIBERALISM"
You are mentally defective on every level. How do crazy people like you get to vote?

WLT

Location hidden

#13 Jun 23, 2008
Sorry. My previous post should have read "If those who supported Clinton during her campaign for the nomination wrote her in, she would take a lot of votes away from Obama."

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#14 Jun 23, 2008
Big Kama wrote:
<quoted text>
You are mentally defective on every level. How do crazy people like you get to vote?
The same Bill of Rights that allow him to own guns?

EEWWW! That will make it hard to sleep, eh?
Bill Slick Willy Clinton

El Paso, TX

#15 Jun 23, 2008
A couple questions from The National Review:

Where are all of the Hollywood celebrities holding telethons asking for help in restoring Iowa and helping the folks affected by the floods?

Where is all the media asking the tough questions about why the federal government hasn't solved the problem? Asking where the FEMA trucks (and trailers) are?

Why isn't the Federal Government relocating Iowa people to free hotels in Chicago ?

When will Spike Lee say that the Federal Government blew up the levees that failed in Des Moines ?

Where are Sean Penn, Brangelina, Celine Dione, Degeneres, & the Dixie Chicks?

Where are all the looters stealing high-end tennis shoes and big screen television sets?

When will we hear Governor Chet Culver say that he wants to rebuild a 'vanilla' Iowa , because that's the way God wants it?

Where is the hysterical 24/7 media coverage complete with reports of cannibalism?

Where are the people (Kanye West) declaring that George Bush hates white, rural people?

How come in 2 weeks, you will never hear about the Iowa flooding ever again?
Blanche DARLEY

El Paso, TX

#16 Jun 23, 2008
Big GAY AIDS Kama wrote:
Dobson is NOT an idiot. Just more of the DEMO slime campaign.
kama has aids
The Truth

Monterey, CA

#17 Jun 23, 2008
We need to see the Truth and that is the Religous Right and the rest of the Neo-Conservatives of the Republican party is the biggest threat to America, they are a Cancer eating away at the core of freedom by hiding behind our civil laws to work to destory America.

They should all be charged with treason... Ron Paul 2008.
mr Fundillo

Orlando, FL

#19 Jun 23, 2008
Where was dobson's "concern" for the Bible and "conservative values" when his heroe george bush imposed on Iraq, the US and the world an illegal war based on clear, substantiated lies, that has costed hundreds of thousands of lives and untold billions of dollars while he continued to cut the taxes to the most affluent in this society, thus creating the biggest deficits in the history of the USA? He talks about the "rights" of the unborn, while totally neglecting the plight of American families who have seen their standards of living take a nosedive under 8 years of the bush "administration"!
ken

Oakland, CA

#20 Jun 23, 2008
Obama is wonderful, he has a real understanding of what Jesus was trying to teach us about loving our neighbor and god.
while Dobson and his ilk teach hate, they are racist and sexist, they hate gay people they hate homeless poor people they support war and greed they support killing people as in capital punishment
they don't love their neighbors as Jesus told them they don't turn the other cheek - they really don't believe that they will have to face Jesus someday and explain why they think they know better than he does.
ugh

San Rafael, CA

#21 Jun 23, 2008
ooooo-- someone "distorted" the bible-- that's like "distorting" harry potter, now isn't it.

If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities." [Voltaire]

"I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism." [Einstein]

"Faith means not wanting to know what is true." [Nietzsche]

"I cannot believe in the immortality of the soul.... No, all this talk of an existence for us, as individuals, beyond the grave is wrong. It is born of our tenacity of life our desire to go on living our dread of coming to an end." [Edison]

"Religion is a byproduct of fear. For much of human history, it may have been a necessary evil, but why was it more evil than necessary?" [Arthur C. Clarke]

"Religions are all alike founded upon fables and mythologies." [Thomas Jefferson]

"Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith, I consider a capacity for it terrifying and absolutely vile." [Kurt Vonnegut]

"Religion is based ... mainly on fear ... fear of the mysterious, fear of defeat, fear of death. Fear is the parent of cruelty, and therefore it is no wonder if cruelty and religion have gone hand in hand.... My own view on religion is that of Lucretius. I regard it as a disease born of fear and as a source of untold misery to the human race." [Bertrand Russell]

"Everything in the bible is true." [guests of the Jerry Springer show]
newanarchy

Arlington, TX

#24 Jun 23, 2008
Dobson is a joke, who would listen to this moron?
Glasnos

Altamonte Springs, FL

#27 Jun 23, 2008
Does this mean there is no "God Damn America" in the Bible?
martscan

Garden Grove, CA

#28 Jun 23, 2008
Glasnos:

Of course not, some wacko religiofascist will find it in there...somewhere.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 69
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 10 min RoxLo 1,232,441
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 34 min Guru 189,787
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 1 hr TRD 70,017
Poll What is your favorite furniture store in Chicago? 1 hr Jana Ravens 0
Word (Dec '08) 1 hr boundary painter 5,240
Music Artists A to Z (Feb '14) 2 hr boundary painter 406
Parrots for sale 2 hr Miranda 1
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]