New $1 cigarette tax has Florida smok...

New $1 cigarette tax has Florida smokers fuming

There are 1390 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jul 2, 2009, titled New $1 cigarette tax has Florida smokers fuming. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Steve Hoffman, of Lighthouse Point , feels a bit bullied these days. He's a smoker, a shrinking class of Floridians that's feeling overtaxed since a $1 hike on a pack of cigarettes hit convenience stores across the state.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 70
Next Last
Marlmn

Fort Myers, FL

#1454 Mar 19, 2010
teeje63 wrote:
<quoted text>
Damn Hilbillary, Fraidy, Manny, Marlmn, EjMar, how many different names are you going to post under?? Go have a glass of wine and tune in Dr. Oz, he cares about YOU.
Are you paranoid? Why do you think these folks are all one person? Location? its a big city. As far as Dr. Oz goes, he doesn't give a damn about you, nor does anyone else, so go suck on your cigarettes, and do yourself in you ugly lesbian.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#1456 Aug 7, 2014
Stiffed wrote:
It's simple..You just order them on line now.Then the State gets ZIP! LOL
What an American Patriot.......
DR FEEL

Winnipeg, Canada

#1457 Aug 8, 2014
fuming, a perfect description of a smoker. Fumes R us
DR FEEL

Winnipeg, Canada

#1458 Aug 8, 2014
Marlboro Man wrote:
It's not just about cigarette taxes, it's about where is the government going to stop with taxes.
For the sake of argument, everyone quits smoking, no more secondhand smoke, cancer rates subside, non-smokers are happy that don't have to breathe others' smoke.
Now the tax base from cigarettes dries up. What do you think the government is going to do next?
The price of everything goes up tube steak and government need $$ to provide for dimwitts. Taxes can't stop. Increases can't stop. Its not a consiracy its the way it is. Tell your government to stop engaging in war, thats the USA's top export.

Location hidden

#1459 Aug 8, 2014
Taxbreaks for the Corporate wealthy, Outsourcers and Big Oil could be ended, but Republican's in Congress won't allow it.....
Taser

Mesa, AZ

#1460 Aug 8, 2014
Go Blue Forever wrote:
Taxbreaks for the Corporate wealthy, Outsourcers and Big Oil could be ended, but Republican's in Congress won't allow it.....
Why does Obama and the Democrats support tax breaks for Wealthy Corporations ?

Could it be for the Democratic Campaign Donations ?

(Newswire June 2014)

Goldman Sachs, General Electric, and Citigroup got extension of a provision that allows US companies to move overseas profits into offshore financial subsidiaries, even though President Obama had criticized companies for doing just this.

This one provision allowed General Electric, a key Obama ally, to avoid paying much US income tax.

Some of the other 50 corporate tax breaks benefited the movie industry, another key Obama ally, green energy companies, biotechnology companies, a NASCAR racecar track owned by an ally of a Democratic senator in Michigan, and StarKist Tuna, which is close to Nancy Pelosi (D-California), former speaker of the House of Representatives.”

“This was President Obama’s personal list of corporate tax breaks. The breaks, taken together, cost the US government per year more than the expected tax receipts from eliminating the Bush tax cuts for those making more than $400,000 a year,$67 billion in 2013 versus $62 billion.

The only difference was that the corporate tax breaks were mostly for a year to two so that the special interests involved would have to come back to get them renewed, which would in turn create plenty of incentive to make campaign contributions.”

Location hidden

#1461 Aug 9, 2014
Taser wrote:
<quoted text>
Why does Obama and the Democrats support tax breaks for Wealthy Corporations ?
Could it be for the Democratic Campaign Donations ?
(Newswire June 2014)
Goldman Sachs, General Electric, and Citigroup got extension of a provision that allows US companies to move overseas profits into offshore financial subsidiaries, even though President Obama had criticized companies for doing just this.
This one provision allowed General Electric, a key Obama ally, to avoid paying much US income tax.
Some of the other 50 corporate tax breaks benefited the movie industry, another key Obama ally, green energy companies, biotechnology companies, a NASCAR racecar track owned by an ally of a Democratic senator in Michigan, and StarKist Tuna, which is close to Nancy Pelosi (D-California), former speaker of the House of Representatives.”
“This was President Obama’s personal list of corporate tax breaks. The breaks, taken together, cost the US government per year more than the expected tax receipts from eliminating the Bush tax cuts for those making more than $400,000 a year,$67 billion in 2013 versus $62 billion.
The only difference was that the corporate tax breaks were mostly for a year to two so that the special interests involved would have to come back to get them renewed, which would in turn create plenty of incentive to make campaign contributions.”
Why not just watch what happens in Congress, rather than depend on others? Everyone, except you....know which party has defended corporate outsourcing and big oil.....
Taser

Mesa, AZ

#1462 Aug 9, 2014
Go Blue Forever wrote:
Democrats guilty of the worst outsourcing !

The determination of the Democrats to deny America the right to drill its own oil has plunged this nation into its fuel-energy crisis. They, of course, are pointing the finger of blame at Big Oil, speculators, gas-guzzling SUVs and the Republicans.

But, without a doubt, it is the Democrats’ anti-domestic drilling stance that has put us at the mercy of foreign governments for the oil required to operate our country.

It is a conspicuous contradiction for Democrats to condemn the “outsourcing” of jobs and money for “work that can be done right here at home.”

While their opposition to drilling is the cause of billions of petrodollars being “outsourced” for oil that we could be unearthing right here at home.

But,“not to worry,” the Democrats reassure us. We can just flip the switch from our oil dependency to “alternative sources.”

However, all the wind power, geothermal power, solar power, ethanol power and cooking-grease power combined cannot save America from the economic collapse confronting it right now

“Opposing Evil, Helping Good”

Since: Feb 14

EVERYWHERE!!!

#1463 Aug 14, 2014
Hey, I'm gonna play "Devil's Advocate" for a second. I've got a question for both of yall.

And btw, I haven't really read the thread. I kinda looked over it, but I didn't really read much. This is about the discussion going on, on the last page, about Democrats v. Republicans.

@Taser
@Go Blue Forever

I have a question for both of yall: This is just a question

Why are either of you still supporting EITHER the Democrats OR the Republicans?

I'm just asking. I mean both have some good points and some bad points. The problem is both have more bad points then they have good points, by orders of magnitude.

I'm just saying. I mean you can support whomever you want.

I'm just kind of wandering if yall know about the other political parties and stuff?

Or if either of those political parties are decent, please explain it to me, because I really do not understand. I'm extremely open-minded, but both the Democrats and the Republicans look extremely lame to me.
Marvinfish

Pittsburgh, PA

#1464 Aug 25, 2014

Like WYF who would pay such a Tax?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 70
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Depression, pain n anxiety treatment; 1 hr Junkie 4
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 hr VetnorsGate 1,581,412
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 3 hr 2all 63,944
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 9 hr Rose of Tralee 105,236
News 2 dead, 6 others wounded during city shootings (Aug '16) 12 hr Truth1 3
Trump Just Sux 12 hr Stevie Wonder 129
News Chicago won't see eclipse spectacle of Carbonda... 12 hr Real Faxt 1

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages