First Prev
of 7
Next Last

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#122 Aug 22, 2013
RACE wrote:
In order for that change to happen, there must first be dissent and opposition to the established norms already in place. That means that at some point someone, or a group of someones must say "No, this norm is not for us, we do not subscribe to it", and this is the hole in your entire argument. Society morals does not equate to 100% consensus by the people within that society, so disagreement to those supposed morals does not equate to immoral.
You dont want to talk about segregation, and interracial marriage because even you know that those "Social Morals" were not "Moral" at all, and the people who went against them were NOT immoral people.
<quoted text>
Also, WHICH society? SOME societies adhere to polygyny or polyandry. I bet, wait, I KNOW he thinks those are immoral, yet those societies think the are moral. In MANY Middle eastern societies a woman wearing a halter top is a stone-able offense because it is deemed by that society as "immoral."

Deliberate injury to a person, and animal, the environment...those are immoral. Is cheating deliberate harm? Well, IMO yes because one has agency and the ability to control oneself and not cause harm.

In the case of the LW I think he's probably cheating and not being straight with LW, but that's my impression.

If OTOH his wife is terminal and she knows about it and consents to it, then it's not, IMO. But, there are too many variables in the lives of not only LW and LW's BF, but in everyone's lives to throw a blanket over it all and say "immoral" which is what he's trying to do, which is why he is (surprise, surprise) wrong.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#123 Aug 22, 2013
IOW, edog makes no sense and fails to use logic and common sense.

Is anyone shocked?

Didn't think so.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#124 Aug 22, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
IOW, edog makes no sense and fails to use logic and common sense.
Is anyone shocked?
Didn't think so.
Not at all.

Those are his rules. When setting your own standards logic frequently does not come into play.
For example, if you say you will never date an overweight guy with red hair and more than 1 kid, that is your rule. No logic involved
He is entitled to make his own rules as you are so entitled.
Like anyone else he can make his own rules and standards and then not live up to them.

Just like you can fall for someone who looks like Louis CK who has 3 baby mamas.

I don't know you well enough, but for myself, I set standards and disappoint myself with some regularity. I have the black and blue marks from kicking myself to prove it.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

#125 Aug 22, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
Also, WHICH society? SOME societies adhere to polygyny or polyandry. I bet, wait, I KNOW he thinks those are immoral, yet those societies think the are moral. In MANY Middle eastern societies a woman wearing a halter top is a stone-able offense because it is deemed by that society as "immoral."
This has been my point all along. If something is moral in one society, it may be immoral in another. I'm glad you were finally able to catch up. Maybe there's a society where infidelity is considered moral. But the society in which we live is not one of them.
Mimi Seattle wrote:
If OTOH his wife is terminal and she knows about it and consents to it, then it's not

If the wife knows and consents, the man isn't such a slimeball (he still is a little though) but his behavior is still immoral.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#126 Aug 22, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Um, I've already hit on this, sweetie pie. Just because there are some who feel infidelity shouldn't be immoral, does not mean that's the general consensus of the societal norm.
And I don't want to discuss segregation because, again, the topic is irrelevant to the discussion.
So morals concerning sex are different than any other kind of morals?

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

#127 Aug 22, 2013
PEllen wrote:
Not at all.
Those are his rules. When setting your own standards logic frequently does not come into play.
For example, if you say you will never date an overweight guy with red hair and more than 1 kid, that is your rule. No logic involved
Like anyone else he can make his own rules and standards and then not live up to them.
Just like you can fall for someone who looks like Louis CK who has 3 baby mamas.
I don't know you well enough, but for myself, I set standards and disappoint myself with some regularity. I have the black and blue marks from kicking myself to prove it.
Thank you, PE. However, these aren't just MY standards, I thought I've been very clear on this. My own moral compass does not come into play throughout this entire discussion.

Angela is acting more and more like Sam. "You're wrong! I know you're wrong, we all know your wrong! We can't prove it, we can't back it up with anything, we have no evidence to support it, but you should just admit you're stupid!"

Klassy.

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#128 Aug 22, 2013
Love how Edog cherry-picks stuff. He forgot this part of my comment:

>>>But, there are too many variables in the lives of not only LW and LW's BF, but in everyone's lives to throw a blanket over it all and say "immoral" which is what he's trying to do, which is why he is (surprise, surprise) wrong.<<<

I said he is wrong. Is that clear or do we think he is going to again pick this apart and say I agree with him.

To be crystal clear...Edog is wrong.

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

#129 Aug 22, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
Love how Edog cherry-picks stuff. He forgot this part of my comment:
>>>But, there are too many variables in the lives of not only LW and LW's BF, but in everyone's lives to throw a blanket over it all and say "immoral" which is what he's trying to do, which is why he is (surprise, surprise) wrong.<<<
I said he is wrong. Is that clear or do we think he is going to again pick this apart and say I agree with him.
To be crystal clear...Edog is wrong.
I did not cherry pick anything. Even assuming his actions are mutually consensual, they are still "immoral."

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

#130 Aug 22, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
So morals concerning sex are different than any other kind of morals?
No. I have absolutely no idea how you came to that conclusion and frankly, don't care. As usual, I will not attempt to defend a comment I never made.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#131 Aug 22, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Granted that the term bible covers both NT and OT, but the standards Dog is using are NT in origin for the most part. In that context I think it important to distinguish the source. In any event, Race(I think) asked where Dog was getting his moral tenets from. As I see it, those cme from conservative NT based t approach. I am not using the word theology because "theo" is "god" and I disagree that his moral are words of God
in this discussion, how is old testament vs new testament relevant? Saying he is drawing upon "the bible" seems accurate enough to me...unless you are in a way, trying to overtly draw a line in the sand between his religious beliefs and yours.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#132 Aug 22, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Not at all.
Yes. He has HIS rules. He is entitled to make whatever rules he wants and follow them or not. But he takes Angrla's position and fites off that she had no morals when in fact, sub said it best that sje does not have HIS morals.

I threw out a bunch of societal issues that clearly divide the masses and in his mind SOCIETY has deemed them all immoral. What SOCIETY? If half the people out there are pro-choice, how has he arrived at the conclusion that SOCIETY has deemed it immoral. In his illogical mind, thise people also feel abortion is immoral and are acting against that. In other words, he's more full of shit than a 5lb bag trying to hold 10 lbs of shit

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#133 Aug 22, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
This has been my point all along. If something is moral in one society, it may be immoral in another. I'm glad you were finally able to catch up. Maybe there's a society where infidelity is considered moral. But the society in which we live is not one of them.
<quoted text>
If the wife knows and consents, the man isn't such a slimeball (he still is a little though) but his behavior is still immoral.
Lemme guess, in this society, conservatives decide ehat is moral or not, and liberals view don't count.
edogxxx

Braidwood, IL

#134 Aug 22, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
I threw out a bunch of societal issues that clearly divide the masses and in his mind SOCIETY has deemed them all immoral. What SOCIETY? If half the people out there are pro-choice, how has he arrived at the conclusion that SOCIETY has deemed it immoral. In his illogical mind, thise people also feel abortion is immoral and are acting against that. In other words, he's more full of shit than a 5lb bag trying to hold 10 lbs of shit
Hey, don't be mad because YOUR morals don't fit with society's.

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#135 Aug 22, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text> Yes. He has HIS rules. He is entitled to make whatever rules he wants and follow them or not. But he takes Angrla's position and fites off that she had no morals when in fact, sub said it best that sje does not have HIS morals.
Exactly. He sees a percentage of society agreeing with his POV and deems that ALL of society agrees that "X" is (im)moral. Whatever specious BS he tries to spout, it's pretty apparent that he thinks his rules and his idea of what is good/bad, should/shouldn't be done is the way society as a whole operates/thinks ergo anyone not subscribing to his philosophy is immoral. <shrug> #dogiban
edogxxx

Braidwood, IL

#136 Aug 23, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly. He sees a percentage of society agreeing with his POV and deems that ALL of society agrees that "X" is (im)moral. Whatever specious BS he tries to spout, it's pretty apparent that he thinks his rules and his idea of what is good/bad, should/shouldn't be done is the way society as a whole operates/thinks ergo anyone not subscribing to his philosophy is immoral. <shrug> #dogiban
It's painfully obvious that you have zero reading comprehension.
edogxxx wrote:
From your and Angela's argument, it sounds like you're saying "people do it, therefore it's not immoral."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hillary's History 11 min HRC will do TIME 75
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 16 min Dr Guru 214,692
Venezuela Is the New Greece 18 min Tinhorn Despot 1
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 18 min Earthling-1 59,555
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 hr Nuculur option 1,384,495
Review: Rebel Hauling (Jan '10) 3 hr Dude 3
Observations 3 hr _Annabella_ 46
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages