United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>And maybe I'm being technical here, but does anyone refer to shows that are in syndication as "reruns"? To me, that only applies to current shows on network television.
Apparently Toj and I do.
:)

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>And maybe I'm being technical here, but does anyone refer to shows that are in syndication as "reruns"? To me, that only applies to current shows on network television.
We do, and most of our friends do. If it's been aired before, it's a rerun whether it's on the major network a week later, or in syndication on a cable network.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
Apparently Toj and I do.
Or you could have agreed with me but didn't feel like raising a stink about it like me.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
Apparently Toj and I do.
Abby started it.

I've never given much thought to it, though. I've never said that such and such show is in syndication. I would usually say it's in reruns on TVLand or whatever.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

NWmoon wrote:
<quoted text>We do, and most of our friends do. If it's been aired before, it's a rerun whether it's on the major network a week later, or in syndication on a cable network.
Oh well. Guess its just me.
Kuuipo

Monterey, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Abby showed her age by even referencing ILL, a tv show that's 40-50 years old, which isn't even a funny show to me (or other people I know).
REALLY??? I *love* I Love Lucy! And vintage TV in general. We have a station that plays nothing but vintage TV shows here. My favorite episodes are the candy-wrapping one and Vitameatavegimin. Everyone has their own sense of humor, I guess.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

Mister Tonka wrote:
LW1: "When I phone to decline, the hostess invariably says, "Oh, you don't have to buy anything." "
That's when you say again, that you can't make it. And if you have the hostess's email, you don't even need to call. Send an email. Or better yet, go under the premise that if you don't respond at all, that a sensible person woud assume you are not coming.
Miss Manners treats these "invitations" as solicitations and says you don't even need to respond, although it's polite to do so.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? Not even when she's stomping on grapes to make wine or the Vitameatavegamin episode? http://www.youtube.com/watch...
Nope. I have never even chuckled at any of her shows as an adult. Maybe I did as a kid (I remember watching at age 5).

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

Kuuipo wrote:
<quoted text>
REALLY??? I *love* I Love Lucy! And vintage TV in general. We have a station that plays nothing but vintage TV shows here. My favorite episodes are the candy-wrapping one and Vitameatavegimin. Everyone has their own sense of humor, I guess.
I'm shocked that TOnka finds her funny!:)

But that's it exactly: different senses of humor! I am completely fine with profanity and disgusting humor (one of my comedy podcasts will make jokes about horrific thing), but also with people like Jim Gaffigan who doesn't use profanity.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Miss Manners treats these "invitations" as solicitations and says you don't even need to respond, although it's polite to do so.
That's how I treat 'em. If I don't respond, I won't be there.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

I don't think I've ever watched a full episode of I Love Lucy. I remember as a kid (4-5 years old), the intro to it starting up after my lunchtime cartoons and that meant it was time to turn the TV off and go play.
Sam I Am

Schaumburg, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

1. The hostesses just want people there to have a bigger showing. That's not your problem. If you don't want to go, don't go. Why is that so hard?

2. If you don't want to go, don't go. Why is that so hard?

3. I'm sorry, but this whole pennies from heaven thing is silly and stupid.

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Schaumburg, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

LW1 - you can't make it, TYVM end of story... i have gone to one of these and actully not bought stuff. that was teh only way i was going to see that friend that year.

LW2 - If you're in good (or even OK) with your sibs, try to suck it up and at least pop in at the wake. see how it goes and catch up with the rest of the extended family if you know them.

as for guessing the deceased is not the daddy, maybe things were rocky, mom got pregnant, and they broke it off before she knew? agreed, if the marriage is so miserable why knock boots, but hey... i've heard of worse.
Julie

Skokie, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

LW1: Say no or don't respond at all. Grow a spine.

LW2: Don't go. You owe the POS nothing.

LW3: OMG, you're an idiot.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2012

It's only a rerun if you have already seen that episode.
Mister Tonka wrote:
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2012

1: If you can't grow a pair and say no, you deserve to feel harrassed and pressured. They can smell your weakness.

2: I still cannot comprehend someone who does not want to know the child their DNA helped create...man or wowan. It boggles...and they usually have other kids they are close to. How do they decide which ones are yes and which ones are no?

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2012

cheluzal wrote:
1: If you can't grow a pair and say no, you deserve to feel harrassed and pressured. They can smell your weakness.
2: I still cannot comprehend someone who does not want to know the child their DNA helped create...man or wowan. It boggles...and they usually have other kids they are close to. How do they decide which ones are yes and which ones are no?
There was a letter on Carolyn Hax about a couple who had tried and failed to conceive with fertility treatments and at age 42 teh wife got pregnant "naturally". The husband was adamant he did not want teh child because he did not want to be still raising a kid/paying for school when he should be retiring.

My original comment stands though. The circumstances suggest the man may not have been the real bio dad. You of all people should have picked up on that possibility
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2012

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
There was a letter on Carolyn Hax about a couple who had tried and failed to conceive with fertility treatments and at age 42 teh wife got pregnant "naturally". The husband was adamant he did not want teh child because he did not want to be still raising a kid/paying for school when he should be retiring.
My original comment stands though. The circumstances suggest the man may not have been the real bio dad. You of all people should have picked up on that possibility
I read hax and remember that, and I thought the man never wanted the kid in the first place. It was only a couple years from them trying to het pregnancy, and now he wants her to kill it? He sounded like a douche.
Why me of all people? I'm missing your implication...I didn't pick up he might not have bee the bio dad, which would definitely change the game, but I either read it too fast or it didn't jump out at me.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2012

cheluzal wrote:
<quoted text>
I read hax and remember that, and I thought the man never wanted the kid in the first place. It was only a couple years from them trying to het pregnancy, and now he wants her to kill it? He sounded like a douche.
Why me of all people? I'm missing your implication...I didn't pick up he might not have bee the bio dad, which would definitely change the game, but I either read it too fast or it didn't jump out at me.
I may have mis- remembered, but didn't your parents have a non-traditional "courtship" that was somehow related to you and your dad getting DNA tests a couple years ago?

My reference was to the possibility that the LW's parents also were in a similar situation and the hypothetical DNA test did not show a match with the LW and the dad. LW said her bio dad never paid child support. Even 20 years ago, it took an awful lot for a court not to order child support if a kid was born during a marriage

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2012

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
I may have mis- remembered, but didn't your parents have a non-traditional "courtship" that was somehow related to you and your dad getting DNA tests a couple years ago?
My reference was to the possibility that the LW's parents also were in a similar situation and the hypothetical DNA test did not show a match with the LW and the dad. LW said her bio dad never paid child support. Even 20 years ago, it took an awful lot for a court not to order child support if a kid was born during a marriage
Just because you were ordered to pay doesn't mean they do.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

32 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min USAsince1680 1,084,979
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 6 min ISLAMIC TERROR APOLOGETIC 68,122
'African' stowaway's body found on US military ... 21 min BAN UR sorry fooking azz 3
Take a short 33 question test on gummint/history. 27 min I got over 84 percent 1
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 33 min JOEL COOL DUDE 68,465
Ask Amy 8-1-14 2 hr Shari23 19
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 2 hr honeymylove 486
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 5 hr Jacques in Ottawa 175,260
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 13 hr PEllen 97,587
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••