“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#21 Mar 26, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
I think grandma would be more offended if her hand-made patchwork quilt was sent to goodwill or sold in a garage sale.
And I'm not buying this excuse "they don't have room" for it. It's a friggin quilt. Fold it up and stash it under the bed, line the sofa with it, use it as a bed spread, tack it to the wall, whatever. Lousy ingrates.
But what if I don't like Strawberry Shortcake done in Harvest Gold and Avocado Green on my sofa or my bed?
Shll they save it and use it for Grandma's shroud?

“Where is Tonka?”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#22 Mar 26, 2013
Please provide an example of such a spin. I just dont see that happening.
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
No sneakiness. If it was me and I gave it to Goodwill (although I would not), when asked about it (which is rude, too), I would come up with a great spin where she'd think the greatest place for her quilt (although it no longer is hers) was with the charitable organization.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#23 Mar 26, 2013
Quilting grandma should have done what my coworker did: Spoke with the DIL first to find out what color schemes, patterns, or themes would be most appreciated. COworker then made a really cool quilt (red, black and white with a lady bug theme to match the rest of the bedroom)... and she made it when the kid was like 2 and the room was no longer a "baby's" room.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#24 Mar 26, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
I think grandma would be more offended if her hand-made patchwork quilt was sent to goodwill or sold in a garage sale.
And I'm not buying this excuse "they don't have room" for it. It's a friggin quilt. Fold it up and stash it under the bed, line the sofa with it, use it as a bed spread, tack it to the wall, whatever. Lousy ingrates.
Should they have thanked her? Yes. But as for no room, why stash something you don't want? Just keep it stashed away until grams dies? What about the other stuff she may start to give? Is every gift given to you automatically classified as something special?

Line the sofa?
Tack it up to the wall?
Oh, hell no. This ain't little house on the prairie. That kind of nonsense would look way out of place in my house. I have a sleek modern look.

I agree that people should be THANKFUL for the gifts they receive. But I don't think they necessarily need to be GRATEFUL(noted because you called them ingrates). To me, being thankful is common courtesy. Being grateful is more of an internal feeling of thanks for giving you something you truly wanted and appreciate.

If someone gives me some junk that I don't like or want, I'm not grateful nor appreciative. I'm more likely feeling " great. wtf am i gonna do with this crap?" But I will tell them thank you.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#25 Mar 26, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Quilting grandma should have done what my coworker did: Spoke with the DIL first to find out what color schemes, patterns, or themes would be most appreciated. COworker then made a really cool quilt (red, black and white with a lady bug theme to match the rest of the bedroom)... and she made it when the kid was like 2 and the room was no longer a "baby's" room.
That makes sense to me. Everyone has different taste. Ifyou are giving a gift that is some sort of decorative household item, it would behoove you to give something in line with the recipient's taste.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#26 Mar 26, 2013
It can be really tough with the homemade stuff.

My MIL's mother (we called her GG, for great grandma) was still alive when Lulu was born and GG crocheted. She made a very beautiful white blanket for the christening but everything else she made was complete crap. But we couldn't just get rid of them; GG made with love after all. So I kept them all in a box and used them for making pallets on the floor when I was trying to get Lulu to sleep on her own (HUGE failure, but not the blankets' fault) and moving fragile art. I finally got rid of crap ones on the move before this one, but kept the really nice one.

What can you do? I only have so much storage space, so I keep the good stuff. I have a box full of anything that MIL has knitted. I figure the girls might like those when they start having kids of their own.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#27 Mar 26, 2013
squishymama wrote:
What can you do? I only have so much storage space,
That's a load of horse shit!
edogxxx wrote:
And I'm not buying this excuse "they don't have room" for it. It's a friggin quilt. Fold it up and stash it under the bed, line the sofa with it, use it as a bed spread, tack it to the wall, whatever. Lousy ingrates.

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Itasca, IL

#28 Mar 26, 2013
speaking as a sewer & quilter, i do belive taht every baby should have somethign home made... what, i'm not always sure of, though. Last baby shower i was at had sooo many receiving blankets...

this is the year of hte baby shower for me, im anticipating about 4 altogether. first one, i made little stuffed animals. the next one, she asked for books as well as assembling a registry. i've seen a couple fabric collectins based on the Berenstein Bears and on Dr. Seuss. so, this kid is gettign a blanket of Berenstein Bears along with one of their books. If she didn't ask for specifics, they would be getting more critters.

if it's a nice quilt that LW made, teh family could use it for baby photos, christening (or bris or whatever) party, or bering it out for other special/"dressy" occasions. and i agree with what toj? pde? said, teh kid will pick his/her lovey, and it could be the most gawdawful ridiculous thing.

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Itasca, IL

#29 Mar 26, 2013
Tonka, i have 2 large bins of blankets and baby-sized quilts and an under-bed bin of twin-sized comforters taht my SIL bought for the boys for warmth... this is one reason i'm hesitant to start making quilts "on spec". they can take up a bunch of storage space, and if you ahve an apartment or a lot of people in the house, a couple of quilts per person and you could open up a beddign boutique.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

#30 Mar 26, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
No sneakiness. If it was me and I gave it to Goodwill (although I would not), when asked about it (which is rude, too), I would come up with a great spin where she'd think the greatest place for her quilt (although it no longer is hers) was with the charitable organization.
So you know that handmade quilt you spent twenty years making and sealing every stitch with a kiss of love to welcome our fist baby? Yeah... I tossed that to a homeless man down on Fifth.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#31 Mar 26, 2013
Aisle Sitter wrote:
speaking as a sewer & quilter, i do belive taht every baby should have somethign home made... what, i'm not always sure of, though. Last baby shower i was at had sooo many receiving blankets...
this is the year of hte baby shower for me, im anticipating about 4 altogether. first one, i made little stuffed animals. the next one, she asked for books as well as assembling a registry. i've seen a couple fabric collectins based on the Berenstein Bears and on Dr. Seuss. so, this kid is gettign a blanket of Berenstein Bears along with one of their books. If she didn't ask for specifics, they would be getting more critters.
if it's a nice quilt that LW made, teh family could use it for baby photos, christening (or bris or whatever) party, or bering it out for other special/"dressy" occasions. and i agree with what toj? pde? said, teh kid will pick his/her lovey, and it could be the most gawdawful ridiculous thing.
I think it was pde. I know when my kid was little he grabbed on to the little bear from that fabric softener. Can't remember the name. The thing was falling apart. I would sew it back up. I tried to exchange it while he was sleeping with a new one but he wanted his disguesting, beat up bear. He couldn't talk at the time but the wail told you. At least I was able to wash it from time to time during his naps.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

#32 Mar 26, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
I agree that people should be THANKFUL for the gifts they receive. But I don't think they necessarily need to be GRATEFUL(noted because you called them ingrates). To me, being thankful is common courtesy. Being grateful is more of an internal feeling of thanks for giving you something you truly wanted and appreciate.
Thanks for the psychology lesson, Dr. Seuss

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#33 Mar 26, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
I think it was pde. I know when my kid was little he grabbed on to the little bear from that fabric softener. Can't remember the name. The thing was falling apart. I would sew it back up. I tried to exchange it while he was sleeping with a new one but he wanted his disguesting, beat up bear. He couldn't talk at the time but the wail told you. At least I was able to wash it from time to time during his naps.
Snuggle!

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#34 Mar 26, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a load of horse shit!
<quoted text>
Ha!

I have kept more hand-made stuff than most people ever receive. I had to make an executive decision on what to get rid of...

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#35 Mar 26, 2013
RACE wrote:
Please provide an example of such a spin. I just dont see that happening.
<quoted text>
To give you a blow-by-blow would be next to impossible. It would have to do with intonation, the other person, gestures, situation, etc.

A little Irish blarney if you will.

“Where is Tonka?”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#36 Mar 26, 2013
The trouble with lies, is that you have to remember them forever. I would rather keep the ratty blanket then carry a lie for the rest of my life.
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
To give you a blow-by-blow would be next to impossible. It would have to do with intonation, the other person, gestures, situation, etc.
A little Irish blarney if you will.
Kuuipo

Marina, CA

#37 Mar 26, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>
Should they have thanked her? Yes. But as for no room, why stash something you don't want? Just keep it stashed away until grams dies? What about the other stuff she may start to give? Is every gift given to you automatically classified as something special?
Line the sofa?
Tack it up to the wall?
Oh, hell no. This ain't little house on the prairie. That kind of nonsense would look way out of place in my house. I have a sleek modern look.
I agree that people should be THANKFUL for the gifts they receive. But I don't think they necessarily need to be GRATEFUL(noted because you called them ingrates). To me, being thankful is common courtesy. Being grateful is more of an internal feeling of thanks for giving you something you truly wanted and appreciate.
If someone gives me some junk that I don't like or want, I'm not grateful nor appreciative. I'm more likely feeling " great. wtf am i gonna do with this crap?" But I will tell them thank you.
To not say "thank you" for a gift is rude and inappropriate regardless of how much you like or need it. You might want to keep a handmade baby quilt if you know Mom will come to your house. If it were me, I'd hang it on the wall for a time and make sure that she sees it. If it's really not their taste, they can put something else in its place when she leaves and hang it in the back of the closet.
Kuuipo

Marina, CA

#38 Mar 26, 2013
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
Ha!
I have kept more hand-made stuff than most people ever receive. I had to make an executive decision on what to get rid of...
Ditto. I keep and display a lot of my handmade stuff. Lately, I've had to get rid of some things.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#39 Mar 26, 2013
RACE wrote:
The trouble with lies, is that you have to remember them forever. I would rather keep the ratty blanket then carry a lie for the rest of my life.
<quoted text>
I wouldn't lie. I would embellish my religious convictions, probably, though.

“Where is Tonka?”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#40 Mar 26, 2013
lord works in mysterious ways....
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
I wouldn't lie. I would embellish my religious convictions, probably, though.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 min Dr Guru 240,784
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min RoxLo 1,534,232
Bottomless wife? 9 min Earl 4
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 1 hr They cannot kill ... 10,686
Mass media's war on police leads to more crime. 1 hr actorvet 1
Deporting Seniors 6 hr But brain works 3
Apartment (May '07) 7 hr Earl 3

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages