First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Julie

Chicago, IL

#42 Apr 21, 2014
LW1: Your mother is trying to manipulate the hell out of you and your siblings. Stop feeling guilty---it's her choice.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#43 Apr 21, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Granted, the whole thing is a sticky and awkward situation, but personally, there's no way I could continue to live with someone I've broken up with. And if two people CAN continue living together after they've split, then I'd have to wonder what was so bad about the relationship that they split in the first place? I understand that a "roommate" situation is different than a dating one, but after being together for six years? Maybe they were pretty much living as roommates anyway, but the situation doesn't sound healthy to me
I think we've established that the major difference in our views on this is what expectation we each have that we would be required to pay the remainder of the lease agreement. If, like you, I felt certain that the most I would lose is the last month's rent I already paid as a deposit, then I could see getting the heck out immediately as well. But what about the other way? What if YOU were certain that were you to just leave, without first having tried to work out some amicable arrangement with your ex, that you would without question be on the hook for $6k (just an example). Would you still just pack up and leave and just deal with it when the piper came calling?

And while you don't think it would be healthy to live with your ex any further, financial health is also important.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

#44 Apr 21, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
Would you still just pack up and leave and just deal with it when the piper came calling?
Pretty much, prolly. Okay, so the court rules I owe you that. So what?

Come after me but the courts might eventually rule in my favor. I don't owe your rent for the next 6 months after I've moved out. That's your problem.

I've never had experience with a dual rental agreement with someone, so I'm not nearly an expert, but I don't really see the landlord or management coming after ME if my ex girl only paid half the rent. If the rent isn't paid in full, the girl might get evicted. I don't think management really cares WHO pays the rent, just that it gets paid. If me and the girl have to play it out in court, okay, we'll dance, but I'm (or you) are still leaving. Go live with your mom, I'll get a roommate or pay the rent myself, whatever. But this bullsht nonsense about being FORCED to live together because of the rental agreement, is bunk in my book

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#45 Apr 21, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
I don't think management really cares WHO pays the rent, just that it gets paid.
Correct. But if it does not, and she gets evicted, he's coming after both of you.
edogxxx wrote:
If me and the girl have to play it out in court, okay, we'll dance,
That's what I expect would happen, unless she got a room mate
edogxxx wrote:
But this bullsht nonsense about being FORCED to live together because of the rental agreement, is bunk in my book
I never suggested that anyone is forced to live together, just that there are repercussions associated with moving out while your name is on the lease. Repercussions that need to be considered before deciding on a course of action. At least that's how I roll. Think before I act. That does not mean not moving out. But it does mean, maybe playing nice with the ex making me moving out as easy on her as I could if for no other reason than I don't want her to come after me in court for 10 months share of rent.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

#46 Apr 21, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
I never suggested that anyone is forced to live together, just that there are repercussions associated with moving out while your name is on the lease. Repercussions that need to be considered before deciding on a course of action. At least that's how I roll. Think before I act. That does not mean not moving out. But it does mean, maybe playing nice with the ex making me moving out as easy on her as I could if for no other reason than I don't want her to come after me in court for 10 months share of rent.
Well, I guess this is where we differ. I wouldn't really give a ratsass about whatever "lease" we may have had. We split up, I'm out. Or you're out. Worrying about the "lease" status comes later. We can hash that out later, but for now, I'm out. The lease doesn't dictate my action at that point. You were right, it's an afterthought. Sorry, Tonks, but I'm leaving. See you in court.

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#47 Apr 21, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>Well, I guess this is where we differ. I wouldn't really give a ratsass about whatever "lease" we may have had. We split up, I'm out. Or you're out. Worrying about the "lease" status comes later. We can hash that out later, but for now, I'm out. The lease doesn't dictate my action at that point. You were right, it's an afterthought. Sorry, Tonks, but I'm leaving. See you in court.
If your name is on the lease and you break it without paying, it can be hard to get another apartment. Landlords tend to do background checks.

“Where is Tonka?”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#48 Apr 21, 2014
I dont get why the dog thinks having his name on a apartment lease is any different than leasing an auto, or his name on a mortgage. You sign, then you are on the hook for the terms of the contract. Sign up for a 3yr plan on your cable or phone? Just cause you get tired of paying does not get you off, so why would a rental be any different? They dont care if you split up.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#49 Apr 21, 2014
RACE wrote:
I dont get why the dog thinks having his name on a apartment lease is any different than leasing an auto, or his name on a mortgage. You sign, then you are on the hook for the terms of the contract. Sign up for a 3yr plan on your cable or phone? Just cause you get tired of paying does not get you off, so why would a rental be any different? They dont care if you split up.
Impulsiveness? Act on emotion now, and gamble that the consequences will not be too bad later.

And actually, he'd probably have a good shot at getting away with it. Its not like the ex would take him to court tomorrow. If she COULD afford to pay the bills herself, that would probably increase the likelihood of him coming after her after she's paid all the rent. But if she could not, she'd probably do whatever she could to get a room mate to cover his half so she would not get evicted. At that point, he would owe her nothing since she got another renter.

Since: Jun 09

Saint Petersburg, FL

#50 Apr 22, 2014
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Ha! I didn't even think of the possibility that it's a one bedroom, but you're right.
I didn't think of that either until this morning while I was watching Judge Judy while getting ready. It was a gay couple and the one chick moved out, but their apartment was 1 br, so the remaining gal couldn't get a roomie. BUT the gal that left OFFERED to give her ex $1,000 for her half of the fee to break the lease. The ex didn't take it and opted to stay in the apartment, then sued the one that left for 1/2 the rent. She lost because the Judge said she had the opportunity to get out of the lease and didn't, so it's her own responsibility. SHe did order the gal that left to give the ex the $1,000, though.

Since: Jun 09

Saint Petersburg, FL

#51 Apr 22, 2014
cheluzal wrote:
1: Sad, especially if she's got life, which the lw intimates.
My granny is 83 and still smiling and kicking away, aches and all, enjoying each morning she wakes with breath.
No really--her words. ;)
At 83, my Dad wanted to buy a fixer-upper house to move into and gut. We talked him out of it (with the help of the real estate agent) and they stayed in the place he already redid top to bottom.

As long as you're breathing, you might as well live as fully as you can!

“An Apple a day”

Since: Jun 08

nil carborundum illegitemi

#52 Apr 22, 2014
1. Mom needs drugs.

2. Suck it up.

3. Grow a backbone and tell them to stay in a hotel.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min Badjudgment 1,522,584
News Ultra Foods in Crestwood offers array of prepar... (Jun '12) 1 hr Shamrock 33
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 1 hr Pasquali 10,588
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr Dr Guru 240,356
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 4 hr RACE 105,133
My heart is open for a real man~ 5 hr SpreadUrThighs 10
I think she is pissed. From a few years ago. 5 hr SENIORS---------READ 7

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages