Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2013

DEAR ABBY: I took care of my husband for 10 years before his death from early-onset Alzheimer's. I am in a relationship now, and I'm finding that a widow's status is far different than that of a wife.

Not long ago, I was invited to a friend's daughter's wedding. When I asked if I could bring "Sam," I was told, "No, we don't know him and there are a lot of other people we would like to invite." I got the same response from my first cousin when I asked if I could bring Sam to her son's wedding: "No, we don't have room for him and we don't know him."

Abby, Sam and I are a couple; he is not a casual boyfriend. Surely, if we were married he would be invited. Please tell me what is proper when inviting a widow to a wedding or other event. I find the responses I received from my friend and relative to be insensitive and hurtful.-- WIDOW STANDS ALONE

DEAR WIDOW: It is considered a breach of etiquette to ask to bring a guest to an expensive event like a wedding if only you have been invited. If that option were open, your invitation would have been addressed to "Mary Smith, and guest."

It's likely that money constraints dictated the guest list be limited at both of these weddings. If this happens again, it is up to you to decide whether witnessing the event is more important than your discomfort. Some people would skip the reception because sitting around listening to music and watching couples having a great time on the dance floor is too depressing.

DEAR ABBY: I doubt this will be answered, but I am desperate. I have been dating this awesome guy for three months. He is really sweet and I feel like it's going somewhere.

The problem is, I lied to him. He's well-educated and he continuously encourages me to further my education. He thinks I'm a college grad, when in reality, I am three credits short of a diploma. I plan to finish this summer. Should I come clean, or should I let him think what he thinks?-- GOING SOMEPLACE AND FEELING GUILTY

DEAR FEELING GUILTY: I think you'd feel better if you cleared the air, and if you do, I'm sure he will respect you for having the character to do so. Explain that in your eagerness to impress him you didn't mention that you're three credits short of graduating, but you'll have them by autumn. If it's a deal-breaker, I'd be surprised, but it would mean he wasn't the man for you.

DEAR ABBY: Is it tacky to reuse birthday candles? It seems silly to throw away candles that have been used for only a minute or two, but I know some people think it's bad etiquette. What do you think?-- MADELINE IN RIO RANCHO, N.M.

DEAR MADELINE: Most birthday cakes arrive at the table already lit. Some people reuse birthday candles if they haven't burned down very far. I don't know who told you "etiquette" would be breached if you didn't use candles right out of the box, but the next time someone says it, you have my permission to reply, "Better a cake with used candles than no cake at all."

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2013

1: Unless the invitation says "and guest" you don't bring someone else. Sorry.

2: Wow. Just get the credits and move on.

3: STFU. Stupid, stupid problem.
Cass

Upland, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2013

Judged:

LW1 - No, sweetie, the widow's status is not different from that of a wife. the status of a BF whom nobody knows, however, IS different from the status of a husband.

LW2 - Oh, the tragedy.What Mimi said.

Since: Mar 09

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2013

LW 3 - I don't know if it's bad etiquette, but it's supposed to be bad LUCK!(You might get somebody else's wish!)

“suffers from formicophilia ”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2013

Judged:

2- Like, OMG, Becky! Yeah, we've only been dating for three months but he's the man of my dreams! He thinks I'm smart and educated but hasn't asked why I'm still working as a cashier at Mobil.

3- Aren't you supposed to eat the candles? I always do. What if you lick the frosting off the bottoms? Should you use them again?

Since: Dec 09

Smalltown, Colorado

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2013

Judged:

LW1 - People ask who they want to their weddings. It is not your place to tell them that you are bringing extra guests. You are rude to ask them to bring another guest. And you are irritated with THEM?!
Julie

Skokie, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2013

Judged:

LW1: Wow. Entitled much?
not a ghost

San Antonio, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2013

Or is it that LW1's friends don't like Sam?.....
Stina

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2013

LW2: Why do people lie when they start relationships? That is the stupidest thing ever. Because you have to be pretty clueless to think that, if your relationship progresses, it isn't going to come out that you lied. And for something so stupid like 3 lousy credits.

The thing is, it becomes a trust issue. The "lied to" person is likely to think, "Wow, she lied about this tiny little thing, what else has she or will she lie about?" I know I'd take a step back.

“This is SPARTA!”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2013

Judged:

Cass wrote:
LW1 - No, sweetie, the widow's status is not different from that of a wife.
Yea, it is. Its the same as the status of a single woman.
Cass wrote:
the status of a BF whom nobody knows, however, IS different from the status of a husband.
yeah, this too

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 10 of10
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

79 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 4 min Zap Brannigan 96,063
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min No Surprize 1,033,020
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 15 min wojar 167,445
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 19 min jimtownhounddogsniffing 47,015
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 33 min Silly times 4,025
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 48 min Brian_G 42,951
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 50 min HughBe 65,058
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance