First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

#1 Jan 12, 2014
DEAR ABBY: We rented a car while we were on vacation. Most of the newer cars have all kinds of high-tech equipment and devices -- different kinds for different models of vehicles. The problem is the instruction booklets that describe how the equipment operates are never provided with the cars.

It's dangerous to try and figure out how the equipment operates by trial and error while starting to drive an unfamiliar vehicle. Why don't the rental agencies provide the instruction manuals, or at least a pamphlet summarizing the procedures? Surely not many people would steal them, since they're just using the cars for a short time.

Also, it would be helpful if the rental agencies would include an inexpensive ice scraper with every car in appropriate areas of the country, so customers could clean their windshields and avoid the hazard of obstructed vision.-- CAR RENTER IN CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA.

DEAR CAR RENTER: What you're describing is also true with loaner cars that are offered when a vehicle is being serviced. I am pretty sure the reason those items are not provided is fear that they would be stolen.

However, I agree that knowing how to operate the radio, heating, air-conditioning and street map functions on the newer cars can be confusing -- which is why you should ask to have the pertinent pages of the manual photocopied so you can refer to them as needed.(The technologically inclined can Google the make of car and ask "How to turn on the radio," etc. because the information is available online.

DEAR ABBY: My best friend died from the flu in November. She was only 63 and had been my friend for 23 years. She died because she was stubborn and insisted to all her friends -- myself included -- that she was "fine" and didn't need to see a doctor or go to the emergency room.

We had all threatened to come and drag her to the doctor or the ER or call 911, but because she insisted she was getting better, we took her word for it. Now we're kicking ourselves for not getting her the help she obviously needed.

Abby, please tell your readers that when a friend or family member is sick enough to cause this kind of concern, to ignore the person and get her (or him) to a doctor! I will miss my friend every day for the rest of my life because I can no longer call to say good morning. Her name was Abby, too, and she was the best friend I've ever had.-- DEVASTATED IN TARZANA, CALIF.

DEAR DEVASTATED: I'm sorry for the loss of your friend. But none of you should blame yourselves for what happened to her. She made an unwise choice.

It is not unusual for people who experience serious symptoms to go into a state of denial ("Let's wait," "It will pass," etc.). But unless your friend was experiencing extreme respiratory distress or an unusually high fever, she might have recovered from that virus without intervention.

P.S. I can't help but wonder if your friend got her flu vaccination last fall when they started being offered. While it's not 100 percent effective for everyone, it is effective in many people. I get one every year, and it's worth discussing with your doctor.

A THOUGHT FOR THE DAY, COURTESY OF BENJAMIN FRANKLIN: "He who falls in love with himself will have no rivals."

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

#2 Jan 12, 2014
1- Lemme guess, you're 80 yrs old? Does anyone really NEED to stream their Ipod through the radio on the drive from the airport to the hotel while making a phone call from the dashboard? Focus on driving and forget about the dam gadgets.

2- Yeah, and I should see a doctor about this numbing in my left arm and the feeling of a heavy weight on my chest. But I'm sure it'll pass again. And I'll NEVER get a flu shot!

3- Explain this to me please? America's first president is on the ONE dollar bill? Lincoln is on a PENNY -(and facing the opposite way of every other president on a coin)? Benjamin Franklin, who was never a president, wound up on the hundred dollar bill?

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#3 Jan 12, 2014
L1: on the very rare occasions I rent a car, I sit in the parking lot of the rental location, testing out things like blinkers, wipers, how to adjust the seat tilt and forward movement, steering wheel adjustment etc.

Just as if I were getting ready to test drive a car a off the lot. Doesn't most of the high tech stuff (connection mpw3 player to stereo, I.e.) work similarly across car makes/ models these days?

I think a photo copy of the manual should be provided, with the original back at the office for safe keeping.

L2: dangerous territory. Adults get to make stupid choices about their health, but I say, once a loved one is incoherent or not making any sense and needs someone to speak up for him/her, do it. A person could be having a stroke, in. Which case, every minute matters!
Cass

Claremont, CA

#4 Jan 12, 2014
LW1 - What prevents you from figuring these things out before you drive off the lot? I'll join Dog in this: Are you 80 years old? How long does it take you to figure out how air-conditioning and radio work? They are not that different from one car to another.

LW2 - Adults get to make their own decisions about their health. How are you planning to drag a sick person to a doctor when they are resisting? By the hair?

A random and thought for the day totally unrelated to anything, courtesy of Yoda: "Powerful you have become. The Dark Side I sense in you."
Kuuipo

Salinas, CA

#5 Jan 12, 2014
LW1: There are things that are very different from model to model. I remember looking all over for the gas cap release in one particular rental car. I adjust the seat before leaving the lot. My own car has headlights so difficult to replace that the owner's manual recommends taking it to the dealer! So yeah, a little quick reference guide would be nice.

LW2: What a sad story. I am sorry for the loss of your friend. But I am not getting a flu shot, either.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#6 Jan 12, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
1- Lemme guess, you're 80 yrs old? Does anyone really NEED to stream their Ipod through the radio on the drive from the airport to the hotel while making a phone call from the dashboard? Focus on driving and forget about the dam gadgets.
2- Yeah, and I should see a doctor about this numbing in my left arm and the feeling of a heavy weight on my chest. But I'm sure it'll pass again. And I'll NEVER get a flu shot!
3- Explain this to me please? America's first president is on the ONE dollar bill? Lincoln is on a PENNY -(and facing the opposite way of every other president on a coin)? Benjamin Franklin, who was never a president, wound up on the hundred dollar bill?
L1 I am not 80. I have been driving stick shift since college and have done so a a variety of cars and shift patterns.

I rented a stick shift when I was in Spain not that long ago, something mainstream like a Opel or Renault. I had to go back into the rental desk to get someone to show me how to get into reverse. I needed to push down as well as slide it into the designated position.

Foreign cars like Toyota and Nissan have similar dashboard patterns . they are different from,say, a Ford Taurus. A laminated card with the dashboard labeled and an indication which side the gas cap is on and what you need to do to open the cover ( interior latch or not) are cheap. This could be printed and stolen with little impact on anyone's profit margin.

My PA daughter has my husband's old Toyota Highlander. I have been driving Toyotas since 1978. She got caught in a storm on the Interstate at night and couldn't find some function, so she called me. I didn't know where it was either. On line was no help. The first 15 Google pages are ads to sell you Toyotas.

I finally called a dealership one time zone west and talked to a salesman who explained.

The designers get so caught up in design for innovation sake that they often forget the human interface. The result is that it looks pretty and does not fulfill its intended purpose. That holds true for fancy chairs, artsy buildings etc. I have been party to some heated and snotty arguments about Industrial and Architectural Design quality on this over the years on this subject (Yes, this pushes a button).

L2 You cannot force a mentally competent adult to get medical care. This falls in the same category as telling someone to have their husband see his doctor about his obesity, change in temperament, etc. Sometimes you don't realize the seriousness of the symptoms until it is too late even if you are willing to see a doctor.

There was nothing LW could have done.

“On Deck”

Since: Aug 08

French Polynesia

#7 Jan 12, 2014
That's right, Pellen. Remember Jim Henson, the muppet master?
He had 'galloping' pneumonia and died at an all too early age too because he too thought he could ride it out. Correct me if I am wrong.
Maybe that's diffferent because the onset is so fast,.... I don't know.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#8 Jan 12, 2014
loose cannon wrote:
He had 'galloping' pneumonia and died at an all too early age too because he too thought he could ride it out. Correct me if I am wrong.
Yes I remember Jim Henson's death. Case in point.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#9 Jan 12, 2014
loose cannon wrote:
Agree. Henson's death is a case on point.
boundary painter

Waco, TX

#10 Jan 12, 2014
Agree with Red's answers.

And, Loose Cannon and PEllen also have brought up good points on their posts.

A sad "lesser of two evil" choices question: "Would you rather be struck by cancer or Alzheimer's? "
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#11 Jan 12, 2014
1: Fair, but writing into dear abby won't solve it!

2: Sad, but no amount of fear will make me get a flu shot!
Pushing what we've been fed our whole lives aside, in what normal world does this make sense: the way to protect against a virus is to inject yourself with that virus.-_-
Cass

Claremont, CA

#12 Jan 12, 2014
boundary painter wrote:
Agree with Red's answers.
And, Loose Cannon and PEllen also have brought up good points on their posts.
A sad "lesser of two evil" choices question: "Would you rather be struck by cancer or Alzheimer's? "
Neither, but if some dreadful thing were absolutely to come to me, yet I had a choice of which dreadful thing, I'd choose cancer. There is a potential for a cure, and if it weren't curable, as long as I had my mind about me, I could commit suicide to get out of pain.

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#13 Jan 12, 2014
cheluzal wrote:
2: Sad, but no amount of fear will make me get a flu shot!
Pushing what we've been fed our whole lives aside, in what normal world does this make sense: the way to protect against a virus is to inject yourself with that virus.-_-
So, you've had no vaccinations? You're currently unprotected regarding polio and smallpox? Measles? Mumps? Chickenpox? Rubella? Pertussis?
Sometimes I have difficulty believing you're a teacher, but it's quite obvious that you are not a scientist or doctor.

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

#14 Jan 12, 2014
NWmoon wrote:
So, you've had no vaccinations? You're currently unprotected regarding polio and smallpox? Measles? Mumps? Chickenpox? Rubella? Pertussis?
Sometimes I have difficulty believing you're a teacher, but it's quite obvious that you are not a scientist or doctor.
Chickenpox? Really?

I have no difficulty at all believing you're uneducated and unemployed, and it's quite obvious you're not a scientist or doctor.

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

#15 Jan 12, 2014
PEllen wrote:
I rented a stick shift when I was in Spain not that long ago, something mainstream like a Opel or Renault. I had to go back into the rental desk to get someone to show me how to get into reverse. I needed to push down as well as slide it into the designated position.
Foreign cars like Toyota and Nissan have similar dashboard patterns . they are different from,say, a Ford Taurus. A laminated card with the dashboard labeled and an indication which side the gas cap is on and what you need to do to open the cover ( interior latch or not) are cheap. This could be printed and stolen with little impact on anyone's profit margin.
If you can't figure out how to put a car in reverse, you have no business driving.

And look which side the gas cap is on before going to the station.
PEllen wrote:
My PA daughter has my husband's old Toyota Highlander. I have been driving Toyotas since 1978. She got caught in a storm on the Interstate at night and couldn't find some function, so she called me. I didn't know where it was either. On line was no help. The first 15 Google pages are ads to sell you Toyotas.
I finally called a dealership one time zone west and talked to a salesman who explained.
If she couldn't find the dam traction control button, she can drive without it!

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#16 Jan 12, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Chickenpox? Really?
I have no difficulty at all believing you're uneducated and unemployed, and it's quite obvious you're not a scientist or doctor.
You know nothing. I am educated, simply no degrees. I'm employed, as well as running my own business. Own my own home outright as well. Completely debt free, too.
How you doing?

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

#17 Jan 13, 2014
NWmoon wrote:
<quoted text> You know nothing. I am educated, simply no degrees. I'm employed, as well as running my own business. Own my own home outright as well. Completely debt free, too.
How you doing?
I'm fine now that I got my chickenpox vaccination

Since: Mar 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#18 Jan 13, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>

And look which side the gas cap is on before going to the station.
<quoted text>
Neat trick here: look at your gas gauge on your dashboard. There should be a little arrow next to the picture of the gas pump. Which way the arrow points is which side your car's gas door is on!
Blunt Advice

Saddle River, NJ

#19 Jan 13, 2014
1. Start a crusade for rental car companies to do this. Maybe AAA can help you get started.
2. It is sad to see someone refuse medical help when they are so ill. It sounds like your friend lived alone and did things on her terms. Many refuse medical help because they feel they have lived their lives. Don't blame yourself.
Btw I did get a flu shot once and got the flu worse than ever. Although I did get a chicken pox shot when I was 30 along with my daughter because I had never had it and with her in day care was a risk. I then had to go for a follow up shot a month later at the pediatricians office after work. Felt silly sitting in the well play area by myself until I was called in.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#20 Jan 13, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm fine now that I got my chickenpox vaccination
They have them you know. And you are old enough to consider the second vaccination for that virus, called shingles. Walgrees gives them. If you have health insurance they should be cheap and possibly free.(preventative care coverage mandated. Wonder who thought that up?)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min My New Alias RULES 1,479,535
Double Word Game (Dec '11) 22 min GEORGIA 3,524
Steve Wilkos : talk show host ? or simple mi... (Feb '08) 24 min stevecanfuckofffo... 456
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 1 hr SweLL GirL 10,057
News Obama's farewell speech in Chicago felt like th... 2 hr Captain Dunghorse 31
John Lewis is NOT a hero, he's an idiot who got... 2 hr NEEDS New BASHING 7
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr idiots the dems 234,006

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages