Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

Full story: Newsday

Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family.
Comments
68,041 - 68,060 of 68,834 Comments Last updated 3 hrs ago

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2014

Abject humiliation for the Brazilians.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2014

Religious fanatics, tribalists, demon-worshippers and atheists are Mother Nature's waste products.

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2014

Hughbe wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not attracted to donkeys
Rick Moss wrote:
<quoted text>
Your loss
Does make veterinary care more simple.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2014

HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
1) I do NOT hate you and YOU know this.
2) This habit of falsely accusing others of HATE is typical of members of your community and it reflects their neurotic and in some case psychotic minds.
3) Do you agree with Eric flocing his dog?
4) If you DISAGREE with Eric flocing his dog does that mean that you HATE him?
5) I do NOT hate homosexuals. The Tanach teaches that it is an ABOMINATION to God Almighty and I stand on His side. Personally I think that the practice is UNCLEAN and unnatural.
Hughbe hates gays

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2014

HughBe wrote:
<quoted text> The Tanach teaches that ....
If you want to pretend to use Hebrew in your arguments then you will have to be consistent and restudy your pet verses. I wish you well and look forward to your new positions....
Eric

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2014

HughBe wrote:
Eric---Spoken as a true Christian, I guess.
HughBe--- Correct, WE speak the TRUTH. On the other hand I am yet to encounter an honest Judahist.
Eroc---As I have said many times, Jesus' followers after his death later bastardized his teachings.
HughBe--- As I have instructed you many times the Jewish followers did no such thing.
How can anyone who claims to be living a RIGHTEOUS life say that it is NOT an insult to be called a homosexual? Answer, clearly you have been taught by your rabbis that it is ACCEPTABLE to your g-d and them and you like the blind dumb sheep that you are swallow their perversion hook line and sinker.
Shame on you, Judahist.
Let me see, what was it that the Jewish rabbi said about the moat and the beam? You guys have forgotten what your founder taught. Like I said, you bastardized his message. Go back and read his words.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2014

Jesus - a rabbi? LOL
former res

Cheshire, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2014

Hi folks – Hot enough for everyone? Good article and relevant to many of our discussions:Nick
Spencer begins his spirited history of atheism with a fairy tale. Once upon a time, people lived in ignorant superstition, offering sacrifices to monsters in the sky. Then some clever folks used special weapons called “science” and “reason” to show that the monsters had never really existed in the first place. Some of these clever folks were killed for daring to say this, but they persevered, and now only really stupid people believe in the monsters.
Spencer’s point, of course, is that this received wisdom is naive nonsense—it gets the history of science and the nature of religious belief wrong, setting up an opposition between reason and faith that the church fathers would have found rather puzzling.(Spencer focuses on Europe, whence modern atheism arose, and hence on Judeo-Christianity.) Few historians take this myth seriously, but it retains its hold on the vulgar atheist imagination. To believe it requires the misconception that religion exists primarily to provide explanations of natural phenomena.(“You seriously believe in God?”“Well, how do you explain thunder?”)
A formal definition of religion is notoriously difficult to formulate, but it must surely involve reference to a particular way of life, practices oriented toward a conception of how one should live.“You must change your life,” as the broken statue of the god Apollo seems to say in Rilke’s poem. Science does not—it isn’t designed to—recommend approaches to what Emerson calls “the conduct of life.” Nevertheless, Richard Dawkins claims that religion “is a scientific theory,”“a competing explanation for facts about the universe and life.” This is—if you’ll forgive my theological jargon—bullshit…..
[The following graph reminds me of Mr’Bean’s “you don’t believe in the same god I don’t…..”]
Several critics have noted that if evangelical atheists (as the philosopher John Gray calls them) are ignorant of religion, as they usually are, then they aren’t truly atheists.“The knowledge of contraries is one and the same,” as Aristotle said. If your idea of God is not one that most theistic traditions would recognize, you’re not talking about God (at most, the New Atheists’ arguments are relevant to the low-hanging god of fundamentalism and deism). But even more damning is that such atheists appear ignorant of atheism as well.
[And even the Easter Bunny gets a mention….]
I’m not holding my breath. What’s most galling about evangelical atheists is their epistemic arrogance—and their triumphalist tone: If religious belief is like belief in the Easter Bunny, as they like to say, shouldn’t they be less proud of themselves for seeing through it? Gray put the matter starkly:
Driven to the margins of a culture in which science claims authority over all of human knowledge,[religious believers] have had to cultivate a capacity for doubt. In contrast, secular believers—held fast by the conventional wisdom of the time—are in the grip of unexamined dogmas.

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/books/2014...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2014

former res wrote:
Hi folks – Hot enough for everyone? Good article and relevant to many of our discussions:Nick
Welcome! I'll get back to you on that later today, but I am glad you are here post Hobby Lobby.

What do you think? I remember you musing that the fall out would be narrow in scope - and it doesnt appear to be that way. I read today that some businesses are even considering using it to discriminate against gays....

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2014

Judged:

UNCLE FORMER

Welcome back UNCLE FORMER but I am sorry to say that your reasoning on the reality is as bull shittish as before.

After slaving your ass off working double shifts a day, have you managed to collect that measly USD 3,000 that you and your partner needed to go to Europe on holiday?

(smiles)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2014

Of course, the extra-cosmic, personal and creationist god which forms the god of most religions is pure fiction and this erroneous notion should be soundly thrashed at every given opportunity.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2014

Judged:

2 EPOCHAL DISCOVERIES THAT DEBUNK CREATIONISM & SCIENCE:

2 epochal discoveries about the laws of nature have soundly debunked the belief in the personal and extra-cosmic god who creates from nothing and who despite not being causally connected with the cosmos yet somehow manages to rule over it, judge its inhabitants and guide it.

All this is bronze age rubbish attributed to illiterate peasants.

At the same time, science stands exposed as a hollow discipline by basing itself on pure insentience, flawed reductionism and mechanistic explanations that can neither explain the origin of life from insentient matter nor the origin nor the nature of consciousness nor the fine tuning of the universe at the macro/micro scales nor mysteries like personality, intentionality, self-transcendence, verified past life memories.

The 2 epochal discoveries are:

1) The 1st Law of Thermodynamics that explains how the principle of conservation, where the sum total of energy/matter in isolated system is concerned, cannot be violated as energy/matter can neither be created nor destroyed - this discovery debunks religious beliefs of an extracosmic god who creates from nothing.

2) Dr J C Bose's crescographic experiment cogently demonstrates the natural presence of sentience in energy/matter - this finding debunks creationism and the scientific superstition of insentience forming the basis of existence.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2014

Judged:

former res wrote:
A formal definition of religion is notoriously difficult to formulate, but it must surely involve reference to a particular way of life, practices oriented toward a conception of how one should live.
How absurd can this guy Spencer get!

The aim of religion is encapsulated in the etymology of the word "religion" itself - religion from the Latin "religare" means to yoke, to bind or to unite the individual consciousness with its source which is the absolute consciousness with its inherent energy concentrate.

So, from a strictly religious perspective, to retrace one's steps back in consciousness through all the gradations of existence to its transcendent source, or to reclaim one's transcendental nature which is the same as that of the transcendent source, is the aim of religion in its highest or most refined form, whereas on the crude levels of thought and practice religion means genuflecting before a monstrous formation who judges, threatens, kills, curses, abuses and demands blood sacrifices from its benighted followers or it could mean obeying the ritualistic commandments of some being calling itself god.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2014

former res wrote:
Spencer begins his spirited history of atheism with a fairy tale. Once upon a time, people lived in ignorant superstition, offering sacrifices to monsters in the sky. Then some clever folks used special weapons called “science” and “reason” to show that the monsters had never really existed in the first place. Some of these clever folks were killed for daring to say this, but they persevered, and now only really stupid people believe in the monsters.
Shocked to agree for once with our Apu on this, but you are posing a straw argument.

What your verbiage is describing is pre-scientific thinking, not religion.

Religion starts with a certainty, but it doesnt prove that certainty. It simply declares it. Its theological process is not scientific in any way, nor does it ever claim to be. "God" calls out. Man's organized response to that calling is what religion is.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2014

JOEL COOL DUDE wrote:
<quoted text>
....whereas on the crude levels of thought and practice religion means genuflecting before a monstrous formation who judges, threatens, kills, curses, abuses and demands blood sacrifices from its benighted followers or it could mean obeying the ritualistic commandments of some being calling itself god.
Projecting again

Many religions do not share these traits

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2014

Judged:

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>

Religion starts with a certainty, but it doesn't prove that certainty.

It simply declares it.

Its theological process is not scientific in any way, nor does it ever claim to be.

"God" calls out. Man's organized response to that calling is what religion is.
Nonsense.

Idiot.

What's your IQ? 2 or 3?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2014

RELIGION IS A SCIENCE OF CONSCIOUSNESS AND NOT A GENUFLECTION TO SOME PETTY PERSONAL GOD:

1) Yes, religion, which originates from the Latin word "religare" means to unite in consciousness and energy with the absolute consciousness with its inherent energy concentrate, or, in other words, religion is a recovery of one's forgotten absolute status which can only come about by the process of a re-scaling of the intervening gradations of cosmic existence until the individualized consciousness-force re-unites with its absolute source.

2) The spiritual process is not a blind belief but an exact practice with well-laid out steps on how to concentrate the mind on which force center either within the body or above the head, the correct breathing pattern to be adopted, the correct spinal posture to be adopted, the appropriate primal sounds to be meditated upon, the phenomena that one can expect to perceive at each stage of the ascent, the dangers of the path, the exact sequence of the manifestation of the degrees of light, sound, power and bliss, the manner one should enter the state of complete absorption, the different kinds of the state of absorption, the emergence of various subjective states in the body that can be seen or felt by onlookers and so on......

3) Each stage is thoroughly mapped out by the earlier adepts who've discovered the entire process back to the absolute source and have codified the whole process for future aspirants to undertake and VERIFY via direct experiences in consciousness/energy field and so beliefs form no part of the mystical discipline which is based completely on practice and verification of the stages of the union of the individual consciousness with the intervening planes and ultimately with the supreme state itself and in this cosmic discipline there's no mention of abominations like the personal or tribal god, ritualistic rules, blood sacrifices, prayers and the like.

4) True Religion - to bind or to unite the individual consciousness with its absolute source - is DIRECT REALIZATION of the SELF and is not talk nor scripture reading nor logic nor head bowing nor tribal affiliation nor abstaining from work on a particular day of the week nor genital mutilation nor genuflection to some abomination calling itself g-d or whatever.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2014

JOEL COOL DUDE wrote:
<quoted text>
Nonsense.
Idiot.
What's your IQ? 2 or 3?
considering I agreed with you, who is the idiot?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2014

JOEL COOL DUDE wrote:
RELIGION IS A SCIENCE OF CONSCIOUSNESS AND NOT A GENUFLECTION TO SOME PETTY PERSONAL GOD:
1) Yes, religion, which originates from the Latin word "religare" means to unite in consciousness and energy with the absolute consciousness with its inherent energy concentrate, or, in other words, religion is a recovery of one's forgotten absolute status which can only come about by the process of a re-scaling of the intervening gradations of cosmic existence until the individualized consciousness-force re-unites with its absolute source.
2) The spiritual process is not a blind belief but an exact practice with well-laid out steps on how to concentrate the mind on which force center either within the body or above the head, the correct breathing pattern to be adopted, the correct spinal posture to be adopted, the appropriate primal sounds to be meditated upon, the phenomena that one can expect to perceive at each stage of the ascent, the dangers of the path, the exact sequence of the manifestation of the degrees of light, sound, power and bliss, the manner one should enter the state of complete absorption, the different kinds of the state of absorption, the emergence of various subjective states in the body that can be seen or felt by onlookers and so on......
3) Each stage is thoroughly mapped out by the earlier adepts who've discovered the entire process back to the absolute source and have codified the whole process for future aspirants to undertake and VERIFY via direct experiences in consciousness/energy field and so beliefs form no part of the mystical discipline which is based completely on practice and verification of the stages of the union of the individual consciousness with the intervening planes and ultimately with the supreme state itself and in this cosmic discipline there's no mention of abominations like the personal or tribal god, ritualistic rules, blood sacrifices, prayers and the like.
4) True Religion - to bind or to unite the individual consciousness with its absolute source - is DIRECT REALIZATION of the SELF and is not talk nor scripture reading nor logic nor head bowing nor tribal affiliation nor abstaining from work on a particular day of the week nor genital mutilation nor genuflection to some abomination calling itself g-d or whatever.
I agree with some of that, however there is no way it is a science.

A path, yes. But science, no. That would require proof - which is impossible by definition

You are too self impressed with yourself. Maybe you need more meditation. Work on dissolving that ego a bit.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2014

JOEL COOL DUDE wrote:
What you are describing is an endpoint, not religion. Religion is more akin to a description of the tasks that lead towards that endpoint.

For someone supposedly "educated" I am a bit amused at your befuddlement of grammar and syntax.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

67 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min shinningelectr0n 1,095,345
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 5 min edogxxx 97,767
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 9 min Dale 176,677
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 31 min Patriot AKA Bozo 46,219
Amy 8-19 1 hr Kuuipo 13
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr Jonah1 49,244
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 2 hr Nono 3,900
Amy 8-20 3 hr Kuuipo 12
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••