Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

Full story: Newsday

Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family.
Comments
67,581 - 67,600 of 69,087 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#74568 Jun 19, 2014
Eric wrote:
<quoted text>Not always. Sometimes it comes at a percentage.
A price is "the amount of money expected, required, or given in payment for something." A contingent fee has no amount of money expected or required. It's all contingent on receipt of an unliquidated amount and the percentage assigned thereto.
There is probably a reason why the standard of living is lower in Jamaica than the states - Lack of ingenuity in business development.
JOEL

Mumbai, India

#74571 Jun 19, 2014
GRACE VERSUS CAUSALITY

Is "grace" given freely - if so, why should it be given freely and besides how does one know whether this so-called grace has been showered on the person from a divine source or by an adverse being? Setting aside causation for a moment, how would you distinguish between the two?

Or does it make better sense to say that even the spiritual "grace" requires a minimum degree of truth, purity and sincerity in a person before it descends on him/her?

There's a subtle causation behind everything....

To the ignorant exterior understanding "bounty" may appear unwarranted but there's nothing like a free lunch not even in the spiritual realms.

You have to earn everything and to get a bit more than what you deserve one has to have in himself/herself a minimum degree of goodness (as stated above) before one can avail of any spiritual bonus that can translate into material benefits
JOEL

Mumbai, India

#74572 Jun 19, 2014
BELIEF VERSUS CERTITUDE:

Beliefs have to either be sufficiently logical before they're accepted with a view to testing their practical viability or they should be based on a known causality with tangible results, otherwise beliefs are figments of an overactive imagination that're blindly accepted by gullible people simply on grounds of hearsay or because so and so book says so and as known no G-d (typal being), no scripture and no prophet is omniscient since these entities are mere partial effects of deeper causes at work.
JOEL

Mumbai, India

#74573 Jun 19, 2014
DEGREES OF BELIEF:

1) Belief in an anthropopathic tribalist G-d is pathetically childish and the preserve of retards and the spiritually unevolved.

2) Belief in a mangod is infantile and fictional as the person (mangod) concerned cannot be absolute perfection personified in flesh and blood. This is because the absolute cannot descend on to earth in its plenary glory and if it does it will have to incarnate through any one of the intervening planes which would logically speaking then result in a diminution of its absolute essence being conditioned by the typal aspects of the plane through which it descends on to earth. If by chance, the whole absolute manifests on earth, by bypassing all the intervening planes, then, the earth will be destabilized or destroyed in view of the absolute power brought down that would be hard to receive and assimilate by something as feeble as the physical grade of consciousness and by gross matter.

3) Belief in impersonal universal principles is better.

4) Belief in a verifiable reality based on tangibles like matter, energy and consciousness that're the only things real in the whole of existence that unite in their subtlest states and which follow an inherent causation is even better.
JOEL

Mumbai, India

#74574 Jun 19, 2014
G-D VERSUS THE ULTIMATE REALITY:

The ultimate reality (beyond personality and impersonality) is not a being but a state of pure potentiality with its innate information content in terms of consciousness and its inherent energy. G-d(s), universe(s) and human(s) are simply the various graded manifestations of this ultimate state.
Eric

Medinah, IL

#74575 Jun 19, 2014
Joel is trying to get attention again. Repeating posts.
JOEL

Mumbai, India

#74576 Jun 19, 2014
Go way. Shameless man.
JOEL

Mumbai, India

#74577 Jun 19, 2014
go AWAY
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#74578 Jun 19, 2014
Eric wrote:
<quoted text>Not always. Sometimes it comes at a percentage.
A price is "the amount of money expected, required, or given in payment for something." A contingent fee has no amount of money expected or required. It's all contingent on receipt of an unliquidated amount and the percentage assigned thereto.
HughBe--- Son a FEE comes at a PRICE.

Eric---Not always. Sometimes it comes at a percentage.

HughBe--- Percentage of what?

Eric---A price is "the amount of money expected, required, or given in payment for something." A contingent fee has no amount of money expected or required. It's all contingent on receipt of an unliquidated amount and the percentage assigned thereto.

HughBe--- I like your sense of humour, Eric. Is the percentage that you speak of assigned to NOTHING? Are you really saying that a contingent fee is not linked to EXPECTATIONS?
Eric

Medinah, IL

#74579 Jun 19, 2014
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
Eric---A price is "the amount of money expected, required, or given in payment for something." A contingent fee has no amount of money expected or required. It's all contingent on receipt of an unliquidated amount and the percentage assigned thereto.
HughBe--- I like your sense of humour, Eric. Is the percentage that you speak of assigned to NOTHING? Are you really saying that a contingent fee is not linked to EXPECTATIONS?
Do you know what a contingent fee is? In a contingent fee you only get paid if your client succeeds. No success; no fee. If your client does succeed, you get a percentage of the success that is pre-negotiated. For example, personal injury attorneys only get paid if their clients get money from the person who allegedly injured them. No money; no fee. If the client gets money, the attorney gets a percentage of what the client gets--normally 1/3. It doesn't matter how much time has been spent on the case. It doesn't matter how much the client gets. The attorney gets 1/3. And, 1/3 of nothing is nothing.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#74580 Jun 19, 2014
Eric wrote:
<quoted text>Do you know what a contingent fee is? In a contingent fee you only get paid if your client succeeds. No success; no fee. If your client does succeed, you get a percentage of the success that is pre-negotiated. For example, personal injury attorneys only get paid if their clients get money from the person who allegedly injured them. No money; no fee. If the client gets money, the attorney gets a percentage of what the client gets--normally 1/3. It doesn't matter how much time has been spent on the case. It doesn't matter how much the client gets. The attorney gets 1/3. And, 1/3 of nothing is nothing.
1. HughBe--- What I know is that when points are not answered then understanding is hampered.

2. I have noted your "In a contingent fee you only get paid if your client succeeds. No success; no fee. If your client does succeed, you get a percentage of the success that is pre-negotiated"

3. I want you to understand that there is an EXPECTATION of payment in your words.

So go back to the post below.

Eric

Medinah, IL

#74581 Jun 19, 2014
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
1. HughBe--- What I know is that when points are not answered then understanding is hampered.
2. I have noted your "In a contingent fee you only get paid if your client succeeds. No success; no fee. If your client does succeed, you get a percentage of the success that is pre-negotiated"
3. I want you to understand that there is an EXPECTATION of payment in your words.
So Hugh, what is the price in a contingent fee arrangement? What will the attorney receive if there is no return?

And, it is unethical and illegal to espouse an expectation of success.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#74582 Jun 19, 2014
Eric wrote:
<quoted text>
So Hugh, what is the price in a contingent fee arrangement? What will the attorney receive if there is no return?
And, it is unethical and illegal to espouse an expectation of success.
Understanding is key. There is an EXPECTATION involved.

If there is NO EXPECTATIONS of success then why and HOW do YOU negotiate for a percentage of the SUCCESS? Recall your words, "If your client does succeed, you get a percentage of the success that is pre-negotiated"
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#74583 Jun 19, 2014
Eric

Unanswered--- Are you really saying that a contingent fee is not linked to EXPECTATIONS?
Eric

Medinah, IL

#74584 Jun 19, 2014
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
Understanding is key. There is an EXPECTATION involved.
If there is NO EXPECTATIONS of success then why and HOW do YOU negotiate for a percentage of the SUCCESS? Recall your words, "If your client does succeed, you get a percentage of the success that is pre-negotiated"
It's fairly standard in the profession. 1/3 for personal injury. 1/5 for workers compensation. 2/5 if the case goes up on appeal. In the tight economy attorneys are lowering the percentage to get cases.

I worked as a non-testifying expert for plaintiffs in a case one summer after tax season. Spent at least 8 hours a day and at least 5 days a week for 3 months. We lost at trial. I got nothing.

There is no price. There is a percentage.
Eric

Medinah, IL

#74585 Jun 19, 2014
HughBe wrote:
Eric
Unanswered--- Are you really saying that a contingent fee is not linked to EXPECTATIONS?
No standard percentage by type of case. It doesn't go up or down if the case looks lucrative. It does go up or down if its a tough or easy case to prove liability.
JOEL

Mumbai, India

#74587 Jun 20, 2014
Good boy. Bad boy.

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#74588 Jun 20, 2014
HughBe wrote:
Eric
I assume you are interpreting that to mean "expectation of success". If so, you are wrong. It would be hoped that success would be achieved, but not expected, as the attorney does not fully control the outcome. I have the parallel situation in my industry, though my fee structure is not linked to final outcome. It is linked to participation in the process. I suppose you could make that the trigger that would elicit the "price". But no self respecting business person in my field would lower themselves and demean themselves to consider this a price. It is considered a fee, as a physical commodity (i.e. something to be bought off the internet or in a retail store that is 100% comparable across vendors) is NOT being offered.

Its ok, its obvious you are not an entrepreneur. Consider this an education.
JOEL

Mumbai, India

#74589 Jun 20, 2014
Yawn.

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

#74590 Jun 20, 2014
In a contingent fee arrangement, the lawyer agrees to accept a fixed percentage (often one third) of the recovery, which is the amount finally paid to the client. If you win the case, the lawyer's fee comes out of the money awarded to you.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 3 min University Student 49,474
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min TheIndependentMaj... 1,101,285
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 29 min truth-facts 46,371
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr wojar 177,518
2 teens critically wounded in South Side shooting 4 hr wow 2
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 4 hr TRD 68,395
Laser Weapon 500mW Green Dazzler 6 hr Use this on you 1
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search