Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

Full story: Newsday 71,025
Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family. Full Story
former res

Cheshire, CT

#72242 Apr 22, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Judaism is a communal religion - therefore there are organized movements. Most localities in the US have their own Board of Rabbis which more or less define the acceptable standards by default. They dont have to accept each other - but they get along enough to function together to set communal standards for things such as Kosher certification, social work, educational opportunities, and burial. Usually the movements represented include the Orthodox, Conservative, Reform, and Reconstructionist.
Obviously there are gazillians of unaffiliated Jews as well - but at the end, it is a tribal religion therefore participation in a synagogues from one of those movements is really necessary to practice of the religion.
Within and between those movements there is a great diversity of "belief" regarding the status and authenticity of scripture. Basically as long as you dont follow Jesus, and as long as you are not a practicing polytheist, you can probably find a niche somewhere.
Ok. so you:

1. Don't have to believe in god.
2. Don't have to believe any of the books.

All you have to do is:

1. Not believe in JC.
2. Not be a polytheist.

And you can show up Saturdays and call yourself a Jew?

Got it!
former res

Cheshire, CT

#72243 Apr 22, 2014
JOEL wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL.
You must visit Bhutan - it's stunningly beautiful and largely untouched by the ravages of industrialization and cradled in the lap of the majestic Himalayas amidst dense forests and it's so peaceful.
If feels as though you're trying to seduce me.

But then again, you did say all expenses are on you.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#72244 Apr 22, 2014
JOEL COOL DUDE wrote:
<quoted text>
Shut up, lying idiot.....
Now, now.

What would your god say to this sort of treatment of your fellow man?

Recall The Golden Rule my young nephew.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#72245 Apr 22, 2014
JOEL COOL DUDE wrote:
<quoted text>
Contact Dr Holger Kirsten or the Archeological Survey of India for the evidence.
No problem.

Guessing Frijoles already has him on speed dial.

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

#72246 Apr 22, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>

But then again, you did say all expenses are on you.
Sure.

Hello Uncle Former,

How're you?

I hope all is well at your end.

I am feeling unwell and the old suffering has just gotten a bit worse.

I have always been exposed to pain since childhood due to disturbed family life but I never imagined that at such a young age my life would take such a turn for the worse and lead me to the brink of destruction and besides I have no one to turn to.....

Anyway, when're you returning home?

Location hidden

#72247 Apr 22, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>

I worship my self.

I don't worship any G-d or Gods since the ultimate reality is neither G-d nor Gods but it is a field of potentiality in terms of consciousness, energy and matter with the human self directly connecting to this highest reality.

G-d or Gods are mere formations of consciousness-energy found on the lower cosmic planes of the manifested field.

Location hidden

#72248 Apr 22, 2014
Had energy/matter been insentient, it would have lacked cognizance, thoughts, intelligence, feeling and sensation. Dr J C Bose demonstrated the fundamental truth of sentient matter in 1900 in experiments dealing with metals, plants, animals and humans. In the human body, feeling, recognition, thinking, intellectualism, instinct and desire are aspects of the indwelling consciousness in matter. As said, matter devoid of its innate sentience would remain an inert clump and shown no reaction to stimuli of any kind.
Eric

Arlington Heights, IL

#72249 Apr 22, 2014
JOEL COOL DUDE wrote:
<quoted text>
I worship my self.
Do you do that with your right hand or left hand or both.

Location hidden

#72250 Apr 22, 2014
The physical organs are the instruments of the sentience in matter which is the true "seer".

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#72251 Apr 22, 2014
JOEL COOL DUDE wrote:
I am going to La Patisserie - the cake shop of the Taj. Bye.
probably lying about that as well

Location hidden

#72252 Apr 22, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok. so you:
1. Don't have to believe in god.
2. Don't have to believe any of the books.
All you have to do is:
1. Not believe in JC.
2. Not be a polytheist.
And you can show up Saturdays and call yourself a Jew?
Got it!
that wasnt what you were asking. You were asking what the boundaries were. So I suggested a few, from a practical perspective. Knowing, and hoping, full well that Eric would also offer his perspective.

Location hidden

#72253 Apr 22, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
And in contrast, are you saying that your own "fantasy or myths" do NOT support or have anything do with your own culture, beliefs or practices?
I guess I'm still not seeing the difference in the way that you are.
Thats because you keep drawing conclusions when none are being offered.

You were accusing me(us) of intellectual hypocrisy regarding Joel, and I was responding with context. I accused Joel of being spiritually imperialist. To be imperialist you have to be forcing your belief system on others. As a Jew, and as Frijoles, I was not foisting my system on others. You conflated the issue by introducing the issue of authenticity, a tangent, and I responded by (as usual) by showing that if you are going to introduce that issue, you at least have to approach it from the perspective of a Jew, and not of a Christian/western philosopher.

I actually never addressed the question of what I believed.Only what I do.

Location hidden

#72254 Apr 22, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Now, now.
Recall The Golden Rule my young nephew.
Note his response a few hours ago to Eric on the Allah thread. I think Joel needs more that just the Golden Rule these days. Maybe a Golden Chastity Belt over his mouth...
JOEL COOL DUDE wrote:
<quoted text>
Sad, it's not so since the Jews of the Tanach indulged in some of the most horrific crimes against humanity and so now it's pay back time, understand, Satanist?

Location hidden

#72255 Apr 22, 2014
Eric wrote:
<quoted text>

Do you do that with your right hand or left hand or both.
By blowing a shofar and by sacrificing a human being.

(winks)

Location hidden

#72256 Apr 22, 2014
THE SEER

I said earlier that the indwelling consciousness in matter is the "perceiver" and that in the absence of sentience the body would be rendered lifeless, insensate and devoid of intelligence. It is the sentience in body-matter that sees, feels, thinks, intuits and desires, while matter devoid of sentience would be an inert clump. The differences are clearly seen in a living being and in a corpse. The core organizing conscient-energy named the psychic is the "seer" in the body that in the embodied state acts through the organs which are its instrumental parts and after death the life impressions of the person are recorded as imprints in the "seer" - the psychic - which, in the disembodied state, works out the causation of the persons and which sees, feels, acts, reacts, thinks and intuits.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#72257 Apr 22, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
that wasnt what you were asking. You were asking what the boundaries were. So I suggested a few, from a practical perspective. Knowing, and hoping, full well that Eric would also offer his perspective.
I asked what it takes to call oneself Jewish and then summarized your responses.

And clearly Eric thought you had things well in hand here so declined to respond. So far anyway.

But your response is actually reasonable to me. After thinking about it. So I shouldn't have been so flip.

At first it sounded all Lucy-goosey but then I remembered a conversation I had once with a Christian.

I asked (as you see I do) about his beliefs. He replied that he didn't need to believe IN god or JC, only the teachings OF god or more specifically, Jesus:

1Chris·tian noun \&#712;kris-ch&#601;n, &#712;krish-\

: a person who believes in the teachings of Jesus Christ

So perhaps same for Jews. You only have to believe in the overall philosophy.

But I think what started all this was your comment about the theatrics of JC. Which still is no more magical than Moses or Noah etc.. so, same, same...still applies. Apu's fairy tales vs your own. who's to say which is sillier or more credible or whatever?

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#72258 Apr 22, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
years ago on Allah thread. Stefano probably remembers this, as well as Buford and any of the other regulars.
We have caught you making stuff up plenty of times. Why does this bother you NOW?
He is right. He said that the wife of Jesus and his son went to Spain and until today their descendants live there. He also said that within a year or so (the year already passed way) his master would send him to collect the original Gospel. According to him they have the original.

I remember Joel dissing the Quran (that according to him the original one is in Turkey and he's supposed to bring it to India) and the Gospels as useless and childish books and that when the Supremental Age will come people don't need those books, they will know what there is to know via Yoga. So I said to him what's the point for your master to send you to take those books, if they are useless and childish and no one will read it?

He felt ashamed. LOL
former res

Cheshire, CT

#72259 Apr 22, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Thats because you keep drawing conclusions when none are being offered.
You were accusing me(us) of intellectual hypocrisy regarding Joel, and I was responding with context. I accused Joel of being spiritually imperialist. To be imperialist you have to be forcing your belief system on others. As a Jew, and as Frijoles, I was not foisting my system on others. You conflated the issue by introducing the issue of authenticity, a tangent, and I responded by (as usual) by showing that if you are going to introduce that issue, you at least have to approach it from the perspective of a Jew, and not of a Christian/western philosopher.
I actually never addressed the question of what I believed.Only what I do.
I didn't ask what you believe. I asked the following. And will again.

And in contrast [to Joel], are you saying that your own "fantasy or myths" do NOT support or have anything do with your own culture, beliefs or practices?

I didn't see Joel forcing his beliefs on anyone only stating a few of them. I think you have done the same. As have I.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#72260 Apr 22, 2014
JOEL COOL DUDE wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure.
Hello Uncle Former,
How're you?
I hope all is well at your end.
I am feeling unwell and the old suffering has just gotten a bit worse.
I have always been exposed to pain since childhood due to disturbed family life but I never imagined that at such a young age my life would take such a turn for the worse and lead me to the brink of destruction and besides I have no one to turn to.....
Anyway, when're you returning home?
Everyone's family is screwed up.

Recommend you see a movie called "The Breakfast Club"

That was me in HS. One of them anyway, not sure which one. Angst etc.

Then just for fun see "Office Space" = love that movie!!!!!
former res

Cheshire, CT

#72261 Apr 22, 2014
JOEL COOL DUDE wrote:
<quoted text>
I worship my self.
I don't worship any G-d or Gods since the ultimate reality is neither G-d nor Gods but it is a field of potentiality in terms of consciousness, energy and matter with the human self directly connecting to this highest reality.
G-d or Gods are mere formations of consciousness-energy found on the lower cosmic planes of the manifested field.
so you believe that Jesus walked on water but not that he was the son of god?

you do not believe in god? the trinity?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 10 min Earthling-1 49,219
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 22 min Uzi 68,883
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 hr John Galt 1,154,077
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr Justice1313 51,253
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr Guru 181,833
New Beach Boys song. 10 hr The Beach Boys 1
Music Artists A to Z (Feb '14) 10 hr _Zoey_ 363
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 15 hr Ralph 98,853
Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 1:01 pm PST

NBC Sports 1:01PM
Cowboys' Murray listed as questionable for Colts - NBC Sports
NBC Sports 8:26 AM
Report: Executives suggest Bears could have to attach a draft pick to move Cutler
Bleacher Report11:56 AM
Eagles vs. Redskins: Live Score and Analysis for Philadelphia
Yahoo! Sports 5:54 PM
Eagles playoff hopes suffer with loss to Redskins
Bleacher Report 6:14 PM
RG3 Showing Enough to Remain Starter in WSH