Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

Full story: Newsday

Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family.

Comments (Page 3,240)

Showing posts 64,781 - 64,800 of68,341
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
former res

Cheshire, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2014

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep, the guy hated Jews, but managed to kill 2 Christians (and 1 Jew).
Dove is one of the few (or perhaps the only) mass produced American brands of chocolate that I like.
We already colored our egg (turns out egg coloring is also a sephardic Jewish custom)
Shalom
former res

Cheshire, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2014

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
I did read your post on the origins. I get it. But you need to understand that people make a similar argument about kosher - that it was for health reasons. Maybe. Maybe not,. But whats relevant is the role of either practices (brit and koher) on the system now (now as defined as the last 2000 years). It is about membership, not health. In other words, anthropologists can lecture us, but they miss the whole point - the function of the institution internally.
I have problems with my tonsils as an adult as well as a child. One of them is much larger than the others. So I am not swayed by your metaphor.
You may be a special case:

Effectiveness[edit]

The procedure is often not effective or only modestly effective, and does not get rid of sore throats altogether.[19][20] In children there is only a short-term benefit; without tonsillectomy a child who meets these strict criteria will probably have 6 throat infections in the next two years while one who has surgery will probably have 3 throat infections. After two years there is little difference in the rate of infection.[21]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonsillectomy#Ef...

My congenital weakness has been ear infection in times of stress. Painful with side of head swollen out. Need Percocet and antibiotic pill and ear drops. Fever etc. Not for several years so maybe just growing pains of young adulthood.

Since: Jan 14

Mumbai, India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2014

Judged:

MYSTICAL MODEL life & OF APPEARANCE OF LIFE FORMS SCORES OVER SCIENTIFIC EXPLANATIONS

The number of sentient principles that inhere in the material force field that on being subjected to appropriate stimuli seek emergence or materialization.

Each sentient principle with its innate information materializes as a specific species.

Interestingly, the sentient principles form a gradation as seen in the graded morphological features/graded functional capacities of the various species that they (sentient principles) gave rise to over the geological ages by an act of self-emergence.

The entire series of sentient species is arranged as a beautiful gradation that begins with a monocellular form and ends in the magnificence of the human species.

Genetic variation occurs within a species as the members of a species (that're based on the information content of a corresponding underlying sentient principle) seek to adapt themselves to different environments - thus dogs comes in various sizes and shapes but every kind of dog despite small differences in anatomy reside in the same family - the dog family.

Once the innate information content of a sentient principle (that gives rise to a particular species) is exhausted, the particular species reaches its maximum potential and can progress no further.

This mystical approach that easily explains the origin of sentience and the appearance of sentient forms obviates the falsehood of materialistic science that seeks to explain the origin of life from lifeless matter (as if such a thing is ever possible!) and the illogical explanation of the appearance of the species coming about through common descent from a self-replicating monocellular organism involving micro-changes (natural selection/genetic mutations) that somehow over large stretches of time gave rise to the gradation of species. LOL.

Not surprisingly, using the absurd crass materialistic scientific model, life cannot be created from scratch nor have any transitional forms been discovered nor can a corpse be brought back to life.

Materialistic science rises and falls with a huge thud by its own paradoxes and will vanish after a time when people fully see through its lies, contradictions and falsehoods.

Mumbai, India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2014

Typo

MYSTICAL MODEL OF LIFE & OF APPEARANCE OF LIFE FORMS SCORES OVER SCIENTIFIC EXPLANATIONS

Mumbai, India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2014

Judged:

Sentience originates only from sentience.
former res

Cheshire, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2014

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Tradition is important. In Judaism we have customs and we have law. Both are considered tradition. Like I said, there are core components which have function, irrespective on their sources. No where in the law does it say one has to know Hebrew to be a Jew, but without Hebrew one can not fully engage in all the activities that make Judaism Judaism. Brit is an initiation ceremony. Thats what makes the people. How truthful, using Western standards, that the bible may be is irrelevant. Its done. It has a function.(and as far I as know it has benign consequences) You should watch Fiddler in the Roof.
And yes, Judaism is based on practice. And peoplehood. The only real canon is that God is one. Thats the core belief. The rest is commentary.
Different Jewish movements have different viewpoints about the authenticity of the Torah ranging from literal word of god to ...mans recollection or interpretation of what man thought God was saying.....But yet all the main movements believe in following (some semblance of) the tradition, regardless.
So, if I'm hearing you...

WHY we do it isn't important. "....irrespective on their sources.."

We don't have to believe in anything and we don't know who wrote all this down or why.

As in the Army "There's no reason for it, it's policy."

It's a habit, a tradition. We do it this way because we've always done it this way.

What does "God is one" mean to you?

Mumbai, India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2014

Judged:

DEATH-KNELL OF CRASS MATERIALISTIC SCIENCE

Not surprisingly, using the absurd crass materialistic scientific model, life cannot be created from scratch nor have any transitional forms been discovered nor can a corpse be brought back to life.
former res

Cheshire, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2014

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with him.
I have nothing against the Humanist movement of Judaism (Judaism without God). I consider the people Jews (if they were born Jewish) and recognize they are searching for something like the rest of us. However, I doubt their movement will survive past each individual - because there is no mechanism to promote continuity. Because I agree with Lieberman's observation - without God the system makes no sense.
That all said, there are many ways to define God within the tradition.
I didn't think you would agree with Joe. You haven't really in the past.

In the past you've said Jews don't have to believe in god. And I don't recall you qualifying it with the idea that their movement wouldn't survive. You've said you don't necessarily believe in god.

But of course if you call appreciating the beauty and wonder of a tree, believing in god, then I can also re-define being King of the World as being me being in charge of my life!

I do in fact agree with Joe and his position has been mine - not yours. Without the underlying belief, none of the rest of it makes any sense. Practice follows belief.

It's why any organization has some sort of a "mission statement." A set of values, aspirations, goals. Their actions and efforts come spring forth from this.

With religious believers, this is their statement of faith, their scripture etc. Makes sense to me.

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2014

JOEL COOL DUDE wrote:
Sentience originates only from sentience.
Circular logic.

The earliest sentience(s) has to come from something else.

India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2014

Judged:

UNCLE FORMER must take care as his posts are once again radiating an unbalanced vibe that has a kind of a sucking pull on the energy fields of others.

This is the second time in a week that I have noticed this unbalanced vibe radiating from his posts.

I wish him very well and hope the unbalanced vibes lifts out of his consciousness-force field at the earliest.
JOEL

India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2014

Judged:

PSI RESEARCHERS AND JOEL

I am in personal touch with a few leading psi researchers from the UK, India and the US and have discussed online many interesting ideas with them such as:

1) Meditation

2) Trance

3) Samadhi (stasis)

4) Altered states of consciousness

5) Sentient energy

6) Brain as a transmitting instrument of the waves of sentient energy infusing it from external nature

7) Science of mantra

8) Phenomenon of death

9) OBE

10) NDE

11) Afterlife

12) Reincarnation

13) Techniques to revive past life memories

and other very interesting subjects.

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2014

Eric wrote:
<quoted text>
yuck
cant complain. Did my taxes weeks ago.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2014

former res wrote:
<quoted text>
You may be a special case:
Effectiveness[edit]
The procedure is often not effective or only modestly effective, and does not get rid of sore throats altogether.[19][20] In children there is only a short-term benefit; without tonsillectomy a child who meets these strict criteria will probably have 6 throat infections in the next two years while one who has surgery will probably have 3 throat infections. After two years there is little difference in the rate of infection.[21]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonsillectomy#Ef...
My congenital weakness has been ear infection in times of stress. Painful with side of head swollen out. Need Percocet and antibiotic pill and ear drops. Fever etc. Not for several years so maybe just growing pains of young adulthood.
Thing is, there is a lot of evidence that antibiotics dont work. I.E. that the infection may get better regardless.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2014

Judged:

former res wrote:
<quoted text>
So, if I'm hearing you...
WHY we do it isn't important. "....irrespective on their sources.."
We don't have to believe in anything and we don't know who wrote all this down or why.
As in the Army "There's no reason for it, it's policy."
It's a habit, a tradition. We do it this way because we've always done it this way.
What does "God is one" mean to you?
we do it because it provides a method to connect to God.

"One" - there is nothing(else) but God, and we are part of the interdependent whole.
JOEL

India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2014

Judged:

THE SUBCONSCIOUS

1) When the yoga via the waking trance enters the subconscious region during the dynamic descent of the Higher Consciousness-Force the going gets real tough and very few can succeed in clearing out the subconscient of all its fears, habits, tics and suggestions.

2) In the human body, the subconscient is the force field corresponding to the soles of the feet from where the consciousness-force associated with the subconscient radiates upwards and enters the spine and outwards into the environment.

3) A person's subconscient force gets imprinted in his footwear and given my heightened degree of sensitivity, I can directly perceive the subconscious imprints in footwear and suffer if I happen to slip on someone else's footwear.

CAUTION - Never wear someone else's footwear and do not permit anyone else to use your footwear since there's always a transfer of the most morbid force impressions from the other person's subconscious into your own with the transfer causing setbacks in life, mental distress, illnesses, repetitive thoughts, upsurge of subsided bad habits and other adverse symptoms. It is a very subtle mechanism at work that's imperceptible to the ordinary consciousness of human beings.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2014

former res wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't think you would agree with Joe. You haven't really in the past.
In the past you've said Jews don't have to believe in god. And I don't recall you qualifying it with the idea that their movement wouldn't survive. You've said you don't necessarily believe in god.
But of course if you call appreciating the beauty and wonder of a tree, believing in god, then I can also re-define being King of the World as being me being in charge of my life!
I do in fact agree with Joe and his position has been mine - not yours. Without the underlying belief, none of the rest of it makes any sense. Practice follows belief.
It's why any organization has some sort of a "mission statement." A set of values, aspirations, goals. Their actions and efforts come spring forth from this.
With religious believers, this is their statement of faith, their scripture etc. Makes sense to me.
Actually, you might not recollect, but my critique of the humanists has been posted here a few times before as well.(i.e. the lack of survival)

I do have the belief - its just not the same type of construct that you have inherited from your Western/secular/ Christian influenced culture.

I trust that Joe has enough of a Jewish education that he would know exactly where I was coming from, and agree with me.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2014

former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Judaism is not Catholicism. We dont tell people what to think. We do share some core beliefs, of course. But there are 4 major movements (and a bunch of minor movements) that have staked out contrasting and conflicting terrain regarding the authenticity and divinity of torah. And even within the most fundamentalist of the movements (orthodoxy), argument and discussion is encouraged, if not outright mandated*. The Talmud is a thousand plus year old record of arguments - most without resolution. I think, coming from Christianity, you just might not be used to this type of religious culture.

India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2014

Judged:

There's one reality with the universe being its manifested form.

India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2014

Judged:

I AM G-D !

1) One field of consciousness-energy manifests itself as the cosmos with all its myriad of forms and phenomena and as such at the fundamental level there's nothing like a subject-object divide.

2) On the surface it appears to the exteriorized consciousness of man that the source (subject) is other than the cosmos or that the subject-object divide is real but on a deeper logical analysis it is understood that if the source is different from the cosmos then we have to posit the irrational idea of an extra-cosmic deity with anthropopathic traits who created the cosmos from nothing and who in spite of the absence of a causal link with the cosmos somehow manages to rule over it and judge the human species. This is scriptural bunk written by fools and aimed at fools.

3) We understand through a higher reasoning that the object is a holon and is nothing else but the subject (or the source) itself in manifestation and that at the core of existence there's nothing like a subject-object divide and that through yogic discipline this apparent subject-object divide can be dissolved and then the object experiences that he himself is the source or that he himself is G-d. "I am G-d" says the mystic who experiences this fundamental oneness with the source.

India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2014

SUBJECT = OBJECT

NONDUALISM implies that the subject is not different from the object but that the object is the subject itself in manifestation. This supreme poise in consciousness is a matter of direct mystical experience during which the mystic experiences his fundamental oneness with the source/subject and affirms the logical truth that he now directly experiences - I AM G-D.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 64,781 - 64,800 of68,341
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

89 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min RoxLo 1,077,853
Abby 7-22 10 min Cass 5
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 10 min Learn to Read 174,407
Voice of God Weapon 11 min I Told U Not 2 Emulate ME 2
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 18 min RACE 97,508
IL Illinois Governor Recall Amendment (Oct '10) 27 min Drone me 1,852
Cheap Tomatoes 27 min Straw Boss 2
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••