Messianic Jews say they are persecute...

Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

There are 72042 comments on the Newsday story from Jun 21, 2008, titled Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel. In it, Newsday reports that:

Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#71050 Apr 7, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
I see Hughbe is wallowing in his own private vocabulary as usual.
God-given and God-revealed "private vocabulary" and it is found in the scriptures.

Lesson: The worship of the Creator is NOT only for Judaists and God's laws and feasts are for ALL people.

Zechariah 14 " And if the family of EGYPT does not go up and does not come, it shall not [rain] upon them. The plague [on Egypt] will be [the same as] that with which the Lord will plague the NATIONS who do NOT go up to CELEBRATE the festival of TABERNACLES."

The Complete Jewish Bible.

As you were taught TABERNACLES is exclusively for Judaism. Compare your "private" teachings with the words of GOD.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#71051 Apr 7, 2014
My little children meditate upon the material.

Later.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#71052 Apr 7, 2014
"So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence" -- Bertrand Russell

"When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called Religion." -- Robert M. Pirsig

"Prayer has no place in the public schools, just like facts have no place in organized religion." -- Superintendent Chalmers, The Simpsons

"The essence of Christianity is told us in the Garden of Eden history. The fruit that was forbidden was on the tree of knowledge. The subtext is, All the suffering you have is because you wanted to find out what was going on." -- Frank Zappa

"The Christian god makes man human, then burns him when he acts like one." -- HSM

"It ain't the parts of the Bible that I can't understand that bother me, it is the parts that I do understand" -- Mark Twain

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." -- Richard Dawkins

"It is, I think, an error to believe that there is any need of religion to make life seem worth living." - Sinclair Lewis

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." -- Stephen Henry Roberts

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction." -- Blaise Pascal

"The Way to see by Faith is to shut the Eye of Reason." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Religion is an illusion and it derives its strength from its readiness to fit in with our instinctual wishful impulses." -- Sigmund Freud

"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived." -- Isaac Asimov

"If god created us in his own image, we have more than reciprocated." -- Voltaire

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#71053 Apr 7, 2014
former res wrote:
"So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence" -- Bertrand Russell
"When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called Religion." -- Robert M. Pirsig
"Prayer has no place in the public schools, just like facts have no place in organized religion." -- Superintendent Chalmers, The Simpsons
"The essence of Christianity is told us in the Garden of Eden history. The fruit that was forbidden was on the tree of knowledge. The subtext is, All the suffering you have is because you wanted to find out what was going on." -- Frank Zappa
"The Christian god makes man human, then burns him when he acts like one." -- HSM
"It ain't the parts of the Bible that I can't understand that bother me, it is the parts that I do understand" -- Mark Twain
"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." -- Richard Dawkins
"It is, I think, an error to believe that there is any need of religion to make life seem worth living." - Sinclair Lewis
"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." -- Stephen Henry Roberts
"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction." -- Blaise Pascal
"The Way to see by Faith is to shut the Eye of Reason." -- Benjamin Franklin
"Religion is an illusion and it derives its strength from its readiness to fit in with our instinctual wishful impulses." -- Sigmund Freud
"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived." -- Isaac Asimov
"If god created us in his own image, we have more than reciprocated." -- Voltaire
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." (Galileo Galilei)

"What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." (Christopher Hitchens)

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#71054 Apr 7, 2014
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
God-given and God-revealed "private vocabulary" and it is found in the scriptures.

Did you bring your daily burnt offering to the alter today? Whip that blood all over the basin yet? As instructed.....

Until you tell me you did, consider yourself a back-seat driver and a hypocrite.
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>Lesson: The worship of the Creator is NOT only for Judaists and God's laws and feasts are for ALL people.
Zechariah 14 " And if the family of EGYPT does not go up and does not come, it shall not [rain] upon them. The plague [on Egypt] will be [the same as] that with which the Lord will plague the NATIONS who do NOT go up to CELEBRATE the festival of TABERNACLES."
The Complete Jewish Bible.
As you were taught TABERNACLES is exclusively for Judaism. Compare your "private" teachings with the words of GOD.
I am not sure what teachings Jews have which conflict with that. Feel free to worship God. Dont let us get in the way.

Why the attitude, anyway? Its so un-Jamaican.....

Location hidden

#71055 Apr 7, 2014
STEFANO COLONNA wrote:
<quoted text>
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." (Galileo Galilei)
"What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." (Christopher Hitchens)
"I dont believe in the same God that you dont believe in." (Reb Levi Yitzhak of Berditchev, 1740-1809)

“Where was God in Auschwitz?.... the real question is where was man?”(Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel)

"The greatest gift we can give to another human being is that of treating him or her as one who embodies God's presence. The greatest harm we can do is to rob a person of that sense." (Arthur Green)

Whether we have been brought up Catholic, Protestant or Jewish, it seems that somewhere lurking among the cobwebs of our past, there is so often a patriarchal, sometimes stern, sometimes loving, old bearded man figure up in the sky, that we still believe to be God. That God, for most of us, is very easy to reject, even though He seems so present among us and among the words of our Torah and liturgy. The direction of this God is clearly up, above us. However evolved our definition of God is, this vertical metaphor remains in tact in some way for many of us. A God beyond, up there in the sky who, we hope, hears our voices, answers our prayers. So, just take a moment to consider, who or what is God for you right now? Is there a God you do believe in or only one you don't?....The history of God has been a long and interesting one, with each Jewish period redefining in some way who or what this force that we call God is and how, or even if, he/she/it acts in our lives. We Jews are not very good at throwing out anything, so none of these opposing and sometimes contradictory notions of God are ever fully rejected..." (Rabbi Marc Soloway)

Adam 36

Since: Aug 13

Location hidden

#71056 Apr 7, 2014
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
Adam---Who was King David's great-grandmother?
HughBe--- I sincerely hope that you do not think that Ruth, David's great-grandmother, was the great-grand-mother of Abraham. Do you?
(DECLARE the FEELINGS that moved you to ask the question.)
Adam---According to the Torah is was. Who do you think it was?
HughBe--- My son, I am still waiting for you to declare your reason for asking the question. Stop dodging and shifting as that will not help you.
The reason is you claim to know who was David's great-great grandmother. Now you either know or you are lying to us.

Which is it?

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#71057 Apr 7, 2014
“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?”

&#8213; Epicurus

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#71058 Apr 7, 2014
"If this is your God, he’s not very impressive. He has so many psychological problems; he’s so insecure. He demands worship every seven days. He goes out and creates faulty humans and then blames them for his own mistakes. He’s a pretty poor excuse for a Supreme Being."

- Spock, The God Thing: Gene Roddenberry’s Lost Star Trek Novel rejected by Paramount in 1975.

JOEL COOL DUDE

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

#71059 Apr 7, 2014
G-D VERSUS BEING VERSUS FIELD OF CONSCIOUSNESS

1) It is easy to debunk the extra-cosmic, tribal, judgemental and tyrannical G-d of the Abrahamic religions but the fact is that this G-d is just one of the many cosmic intelligences and is neither extra-cosmic nor creationist. It is a cosmic principle imbued with intelligence and energy and has a pervasive presence in its field of action.

2) No one can debunk the G-d of cosmic/individual consciousness since consciousness is a hard fact of existence with its higher cosmic/individual ranges accessible only to those with mystical natures. Had consciousness not been a universal fact in the lives of people nor suspected by most people to inhere in the universal field of energy then it would have been easy to debunk the G-d of consciousness as well.

3) The ultimate reality is a supracosmic field of consciousness-energy.

4) The scriptures have twisted the meaning of its G-d and conveyed erroneous information which has made intelligent men abandon such a being. I have abandoned such a being not because it does not exist - I have too many evidences of its existence and what it is capable of - but on account of its shallow, evil and parochial teachings.

JOEL COOL DUDE

Location hidden

#71060 Apr 7, 2014
EPICURUS HAD A WRONG IDEA OF AN INTERVENTIONIST DEITY

“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?”

Epicurus

JOEL: Epicurus had an erroneous idea of a deity. The deity is one of the numerous cosmic entities who exist as intelligences each in its own plane of existence that may or may not have a direct bearing on the terrestrial nature.

However, if the ultimate reality is simply an impersonal field of consciousness-energy from which has sprouted into existence the cosmos then causal laws oversee the cosmic workings based on the triple modes of creativity, sustenance and dissolution and as far human affairs are concerned as long as one lives in the ordinary consciousness one is subjected to the inexorable laws of karma - as one sows, one reaps, which accounts for the vast diversity of karmic effects that're visible in the lives of people (atheist or believer) everywhere in the world.

It is sensible to accept karma in view of the effects of our actions that we have to face in life.

The idea of intervention from divine agency is childish and fails to take into account karma and causal laws based on the triple modes of creativity, sustenance and dissolution governing the universe.

JOEL COOL DUDE

Location hidden

#71061 Apr 7, 2014
SINCLAIR LEWIS IS MISLED

"It is, I think, an error to believe that there is any need of religion to make life seem worth living."

- Sinclair Lewis

JOEL: 1) Yes, as long as one lives in the ordinary consciousness, common sense and a little scientific knowledge are sufficient to get us by in life but the price we pay is heavy - we fail to see the intricate web of causal connections that inhere in consciousness, energy, matter and life that impact us at every instant and if we add human karma to it then well every human being, whether he knows it or not, is subjected to the law of karma at the psychological, emotional, physical and relationship levels for which we mostly suffer because of ignorant actions.

2) However, if we take the root meaning of religion which is religare which means "to bind" the individual consciousness with the superior ranges of consciousness then religion boils down to its main essential which is realization or being and becoming that stands far above petty beliefs, shallow scripture and shallow rituals.

3) Yes, one truly lives the religious life only when the surface consciousness dives inwards and beyond and attempts, in stages marked by subjective and objective results, the grand union of subject with object.

JOEL COOL DUDE

Location hidden

#71062 Apr 7, 2014
The HOLOCAUST during WORLD WAR 2 was mainly the result of COLLECTIVE KARMA at work - karma works at the individual as well as at the collective level for groups of people with a common meeting ground. Karma stretches back to many cycles of existence and keeps manifesting its effects at each stage as well as it keeps getting modified with fresh lines of karma being added as the person keeps thinking, speaking and acting in real time. At times, part of our karma is hereditary since we receive psychological, emotional and physical inputs from our parents via genetic transmission and so we suffer for the 'flaws" of our parents. Here, too, we get attracted to a particular family because of certain personality affinities and so we have to take the added burden of parental personality flaws inhering in our heredity. Besides, by closely associating ourselves with certain belief systems and with specific persons we imbibe on a regular basis the karma of the founders of the faith and of the people we mingle with through exchange of consciousness, energy and ideas. In this case, too, affinity brings us together.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#71063 Apr 7, 2014
A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death.

Albert Einstein

JOEL COOL DUDE

Location hidden

#71066 Apr 7, 2014
ALBERT EINSTEIN was a liar, a philanderer and a hard-hearted man as seen in the sordid affairs in his life. Where science is concerned, he stole all his major ideas from others and passed them off as his own. Read Dr Roger Schafly's - How Einstein Ruined Physics and Bjerknes, C.J.(2002), Albert Einstein: The Incorrigible Plagiarist, XTX Inc., Dowers Grove among other notable books exposing him.

“SATYAMEV JAYATE-TRUTH WINS ”

Since: Mar 14

JUBAIL, KSA

#71067 Apr 7, 2014
Adam 36 wrote:
<quoted text>
The reason is you claim to know who was David's great-great grandmother. Now you either know or you are lying to us.
Which is it?
Why are you interested in David' great great grandmother?

Do you know who was you own great great great grand mother?

What these genealogies have to do with the religion? Why should God dictate these to the human race?

Location hidden

#71068 Apr 8, 2014
MUQ1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Why are you interested in David' great great grandmother?
Do you know who was you own great great great grand mother?
What these genealogies have to do with the religion? Why should God dictate these to the human race?
Do Muslims trace their lineage back to Abraham? Why bother?

“SATYAMEV JAYATE-TRUTH WINS ”

Since: Mar 14

JUBAIL, KSA

#71069 Apr 8, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Do Muslims trace their lineage back to Abraham? Why bother?
Not ALL Muslims, but those who are from Arabs, but it is not dogmatic. And not ALL names are present.

Location hidden

#71070 Apr 8, 2014
It’s so beautifully arranged on the plate – you know someone’s fingers have been all over it.(Julia Child)

Vegetarian: an old Indian word for bad hunter (Author unknown)

I cook with wine. Sometimes I even add it to the food.(W.C. Fields)

Avoid fruits and nuts. You are what you eat.(Jim Davis)

I think this cupcake batter needs more hot dog chunks.(food network)

JOEL COOL DUDE

Location hidden

#71071 Apr 8, 2014
To who does Abraham trace his lineage back to? Someone pagan in Chaldea? Before leaving Chaldea or Ur of wherever was his native land, Abraham and his sister-wife were also pagans. Possible. LOL.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min Guest 1,520,417
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 36 min Saint Donald 240,287
News March for Science Chicago expects more than 45,... 41 min Our President Trump 1
Look at Minn. Maine & Michigan. 54 min NO 2 HALAL FOODs 9
George Norcross behind website going dark 3 hr Mystery 1
Scary Obituary 8 hr The Shadow Knows 8
I think she is pissed. From a few years ago. 8 hr AlGores LockBox 3

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages