Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

Full story: Newsday 71,044
Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family. Full Story

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#70984 Apr 7, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
I am stating that a discussion about art from the scientific perspective is OBVIOUSLY different than a discussion from the perspective of art appreciation.
Actually, art appreciation can encompass an objective perspective along side the subjective perspective - analyzing brush strokes, color choices, etc... A true art aficionado will encompass both perspectives.
Frijoles wrote:
Cosmos - no, not having TV hampers me a bit, though I am still searching for a good way to wacth the original series as a start. I never saw it in the first place. I went to school at the same university as Sagan, by the way, met him a few fleeting times. According to latest Smithsonian (??) biography, he was a bit of a pot head...lol
They used to have it on Netflix. Don't know if they still do. And yes, I heard that too about his pot smoking. Must have provided some of his "inspiration".

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#70985 Apr 7, 2014
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, art appreciation can encompass an objective perspective along side the subjective perspective - analyzing brush strokes, color choices, etc... A true art aficionado will encompass both perspectives..
True, but dont neglect the subjective. And I see you have not.
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text><quoted text>
They used to have it on Netflix. Don't know if they still do. And yes, I heard that too about his pot smoking. Must have provided some of his "inspiration".
Apparently it was quite a bit more than "some".

I do know that his reputation as a teacher was that he was quite friendly and down to earth. Even though it was a large university that prided itself on research, he actually preferred to teach small freshman seminars.

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#70986 Apr 7, 2014
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
"Expressions of subjectivity" is one thing. Relating those expressions to some supernatural experience is something else entirely.
I agree that Chopkra is really about shamelessly marketing one's self for profit - through the cultivation of celebrity endorsements (Oprah) and through smooth talking.

But like most things, I look beyond all of that to see what the worth and essence is all about. And I get where many of his ideas come from. He did not pioneer them. Take "I am my body and my bod is me". What he is saying is adjust your perspective from the ego to that of the body. Thats an old idea. Your error is trying to analyze that from logic (applying transitive theory) instead of understanding it as symbol (where the sides of the equation are not equal).

I view him as more of a poet than a western educator. Poetry is not understood logically, its intended to convey a sense, via emotion and expression. An allusion (i.e. a direction to something other than what is on the surface). I think what you are hung up is trying to understand him on the surface - as if he is teaching you as a westerner. Of course, he is guilty in that this type of legitimacy is what he is trying to convey.

But most people dont waste their time being logical and critical, either they appreciate him for what he is and buy his books, or they ignore him. I have one or 2 of his books, even though I am not a fan.

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

#70987 Apr 7, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>

Actually would like to go to Paris first.

Then Istanbul and Greek islands after that.

Hope you and your car are well.
Paris has lost its charm. Not as clean or orderly as it used to be. Filled with curious tourists and in recent times it has become home to tens of thousands of poor immigrants from Africa and Asia who have brought with them their third world cultural baggage and homegrown attitudes. It's difficult for such people to fit into French society with its quintessential elan and emphasis on high intellectualism. The banlieues or ghettos are in the suburbs and many of them stink. Aside from the usual tourist destinations like Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomphe, Louvre and the Disneyland, make it a point in Paris to visit the art galleries, Sorbonne, the trendy Michelin star restaurants (notably by Alain Ducasse. Maxim's has slipped) and haute couture salons like the Christian Dior, Chanel etc and try traveling to the swank Cote D'Azur in the South of France and to the beautiful Champagne district.

My late mother had a master's degree in English literature and was fluent in French to the extent that as a pass time she would at times undertake translation work from French to English and vice versa for certain well-known international business houses in Mumbai. I miss her a lot.

I find the French mind limpid and artistic. Not surprisingly, in the intellectual sphere, France has bagged the highest number, if I am not mistaken, of Fields Medals (prize in Mathematics).

Avoid Greece if possible but do visit Istanbul - the bridge to Europe and Asia.

As for the car, brake fuel refill.

I am not too well. If I tell you what exactly has happened to me you will not believe me and if you learn what is the problem with my health you may be very sad for me. So, I am not saying anything.

Location hidden

#70988 Apr 7, 2014
SUPERNATURAL

If by the supernatural is meant the higher states of consciousness, then, yes, the supernatural exists but there are too many dangers, including life-threatening ones, associated with these higher planes of consciousness of which science and ordinary people know nothing about. I have too much exposure to these higher planes and have benefited much but have been more damaged by these experiences most of which take place in the waking consciousness 24 x 7 at times.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#70989 Apr 7, 2014
JOEL COOL DUDE wrote:
<quoted text>
Paris has lost its charm. Not as clean or orderly as it used to be. Filled with curious tourists and in recent times it has become home to tens of thousands of poor immigrants from Africa and Asia who have brought with them their third world cultural baggage and homegrown attitudes. It's difficult for such people to fit into French society with its quintessential elan and emphasis on high intellectualism. The banlieues or ghettos are in the suburbs and many of them stink. Aside from the usual tourist destinations like Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomphe, Louvre and the Disneyland, make it a point in Paris to visit the art galleries, Sorbonne, the trendy Michelin star restaurants (notably by Alain Ducasse. Maxim's has slipped) and haute couture salons like the Christian Dior, Chanel etc and try traveling to the swank Cote D'Azur in the South of France and to the beautiful Champagne district.
My late mother had a master's degree in English literature and was fluent in French to the extent that as a pass time she would at times undertake translation work from French to English and vice versa for certain well-known international business houses in Mumbai. I miss her a lot.
It's too bad to hear of such a place going so far downhill.

As a teenager I would only have known what I heard and read of Paris in the 1920s where many American writers and artists would hang out with their French counterparts, eat good cheese, drink good wine and allow their creativity to flourish.

My wife double majored in French (and government) so I'm counting on her to help with the language when we make it there. She's been there as she lived her junior year of college in Geneva and traveled through Europe.

Have you been to Versailles? How abut the Crazy Horse Cabaret (naked dancing girls)? Right in Paris. I only ask because I do believe you mentioned a Gentlemen's club recently, in India I think??

Do you have a favorite neighborhood in Paris? I thought the Latin Quarter and St-Germain sound interesting. I like to hang with regular folks/artists etc. You may not.

I would like to experience the essence of the place. I can visit fancy stores in NYC, or Greenwich, Connecticut - right down the road from here. Or Boston. or Rodeo Drive.
JOEL COOL DUDE wrote:
<quoted text>
Avoid Greece if possible but do visit Istanbul - the bridge to Europe and Asia.
Avoid the whole country of Greece? wow, why would you say that? do you not like the people there? It can't be the heat as your own country must get very hot at times

I have no burning desire to go to Athens but thought Crete and perhaps another Island or two sounded good. From what I've heard and seen in pics the Greek Island seem quite pretty.

You don't agree?
JOEL COOL DUDE wrote:
<quoted text>
As for the car, brake fuel refill.
Or as we would call it here, "brake fluid."

Sounds like it was an easy fix.
JOEL COOL DUDE wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not too well. If I tell you what exactly has happened to me you will not believe me and if you learn what is the problem with my health you may be very sad for me. So, I am not saying anything.
As you wish, but I hope you are feeling better soon.

Location hidden

#70990 Apr 7, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>

My wife double majored in French (and government) so I'm counting on her to help with the language when we make it there. She's been there as she lived her junior year of college in Geneva and traveled through Europe.
Cool. The French are xenophobic when it comes to language. Good to know French when in France. It smoothens the way and makes the locals happy. I can't understand this Anglo-Franco language war. English has beaten French and made it as the global lingua franca and much to the angst of the French some elite educational and research institutions in France like the Louis Pasteur have switched to English.

Location hidden

#70992 Apr 7, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>

I only ask because I do believe you mentioned a Gentlemen's club recently, in India I think??
Which is the gentlemen's club in Mumbai that I mentioned?

Location hidden

#70993 Apr 7, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>

Do you have a favorite neighborhood in Paris?
Latin Quarter is bohemian and dotted with some good higher academic institutions and St Germain is filled with Africans running cheap eateries these days. Bonaparte offering cheap fare stands out. Champs Elysees is nice.

Location hidden

#70994 Apr 7, 2014
former res wrote:
I can visit fancy stores in NYC, or Greenwich, Connecticut - right down the road from here. Or Boston. or Rodeo Drive.
No, no. Paris used to be the mecca of high fashion. Not anymore but it has still retained some of its old verve in this area. The ramp shows are sizzling. The Parisian haute couture scene is classier and has that stamp of originality when compared to the haute salons in the US. An individual haute couture salon is very different from a luxury store like say Saks.

Location hidden

#70995 Apr 7, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>

Avoid the whole country of Greece?

You don't agree?

<quoted text>
Simple tip - avoid a place in deep economic crisis as the stress is visible everywhere and people's attitudes in times of poor finances change for the worse.

Location hidden

#70996 Apr 7, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>

Or as we would call it here, "brake fluid."

Sounds like it was an easy fix.

Typo - it should have been brake fluid.

Yes, easy job.

Location hidden

#70997 Apr 7, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>

I hope you are feeling better soon.
No, it will end in my death at a young age or leave me insane or paralyzed.

I can't speak about it.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#70998 Apr 7, 2014
HughBe--- Understand, in the real world naturalization makes one a RESIDENT of a particular country and so help me with your parallel and tell me where do these CONVERTS live? Which country do they live in? Do they live in ISRAEL?

Hint: where does a naturalized American live?

Adam---They are part of the Jewish Nation no matter where they live.

HughBe--- Son, you have NOT understood your own parallel so how do you expect to understand a higher level of thinking?

HughBe--- First, what are they converting to? Are they converting to the nation or to the religion JUDAISM?

Adam---Both

HughBe--- How does one COVERT from one biological state into another? Explain the scientific process that would make YOU become the BIOLOGICAL relative of mine via religion.

Also, are you saying that such CONVERTS in Jamaica have land rights in Israel?
Tell me about the land rights in ISRAEL of converts from ALL over the world.

Adam---They have none(land rights) other than a right to RETURN and live in the land of Israel

HughBe--- Listen well genius, I want you to INSTRUCT your fellow special people that one CANNOT RETURN to where s/he or his ancestors did NOT come from. Also, who on EARTH can deny any JEW of the land given to them by God? Can your rabbis do so? Can the Israeli Government do so? Mightier are your masters than their Creator, in your mind and in theirs.

Now son, keep in mind that converts are JEWS and ALL Jews have God-given rights to the land and this is my unshakable position not just in the current context.

HughBe--- Such a statement is what makes me know that people at your level follow others blindly.

Adam---Your ignorance exceeds your Hu-bris

HughBe---Am I not Hu-gh? How can I exceed myself by being Hu-bris?

HughBe---Lesson: When a person becomes a naturalized citizen of the US the person LIVES in the US and this is completely OPPOSITE to what obtains in your naturalization process that you absurdly claim "makes JEWS like every OTHER nation on EARTH".
In the context ,see lesson, tell me where on EARTH is the nation JEWS ? I can find Jamaica and the US etc so help me with the nation called JEWS. Recall YOU said, "naturalization process is what makes Jews like every other nation on earth"

Adam---Lesson: Jews are a Nation with a homeland in the land of Israel. Are the Cherokees a Nation? Are the Roma a Nation ? Are the Kurds a Nation. Some Nations have no states.

HughBe--- Son, YOU made the parallel of Jews with nation states which was and still is BS. Stop deceiving your silly little self.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#71000 Apr 7, 2014
Adam 36 wrote:
<quoted text>
Who was King David's great-grandmother?
HughBe---So one born in his household would have been a CONVERT to Abraham's religion BASED ON THE WORDS OF GOD BUT WAS NOT ABRAHAM'S SEED or FAMILY.

Adam---Who was King David's great-grandmother?

HughBe---Given the context meaning my words above your words and yours below mine, I sincerely hope that you do not think that Ruth, David's great-grandmother, was the great-grand-mother of Abraham. Do you?

Are you saying to me that Abraham's SEEDS included those who are not his BIOLOGICAL children?
former res

Cheshire, CT

#71001 Apr 7, 2014
JOEL COOL DUDE wrote:
<quoted text>
Which is the gentlemen's club in Mumbai that I mentioned?
As I recall you only the mentioned the fact of it, not the name of it.

Perhaps you had been there or were going there.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#71002 Apr 7, 2014
Dear Adam, I want you to reread your sheer BS below as I believe that if you are able to understand your own words you shall shut up and appear to be semi-sensible.

Adam---Additionally, just as EVERY other NATION, JEWS also have naturalization laws to become part of that nation.

Adam--- The naturalization process is what makes Jews LIKE every other NATION on earth.

----------

Adam---Lesson: Jews are a Nation with a homeland in the land of Israel. Are the Cherokees a Nation? Are the Roma a Nation ? Are the Kurds a Nation. Some Nations have no states.

HughBe--- Son, YOU made the parallel of Jews with nation states which was and still is BS. Stop deceiving your silly little self.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#71003 Apr 7, 2014
Address the post below.

Adam--- 1. "No one can CONVERT to become an Arab, Japanese, black or white. Those are all ethnicities."
2. You also said "A person BORN a Jew"

HughBe----Explain the difference between 1& 2 .

Now you have said that people are BORN Jews and also that people can become Jews by CONVERSION. Effectively you have also said that people are BORN Arabs etc. so explain to me why others cannot CONVERT and become Arabs just like the case of JEWS.

Explain in details the logic and TRUTH of your sentiments.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#71004 Apr 7, 2014
JOEL COOL DUDE wrote:
<quoted text>
Simple tip - avoid a place in deep economic crisis as the stress is visible everywhere and people's attitudes in times of poor finances change for the worse.
I see.

How about Italy? Perhaps not as bad but still in some trouble.

This is part of why I would avoid Athens and stick to the islands.

Our middle class is disappearing as well. Avoid the US. Bad. fat, stupid people here. Esp down south.:)

Location hidden

#71005 Apr 7, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>

As I recall you only the mentioned the fact of it, not the name of it.

Perhaps you had been there or were going there.
Starboard in the Hotel Taj Mahal Palace and Tower. It's a mixed gender nightclub with a rare mens only or ladies only night.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 2 hr Cowobunga 51,254
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 2 hr Brian_G 49,220
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 4 hr Uzi 68,883
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 hr John Galt 1,154,077
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 5 hr Guru 181,833
New Beach Boys song. 14 hr The Beach Boys 1
Music Artists A to Z (Feb '14) 14 hr _Zoey_ 363
Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 1:01 pm PST

NBC Sports 1:01PM
Cowboys' Murray listed as questionable for Colts - NBC Sports
NBC Sports 8:26 AM
Report: Executives suggest Bears could have to attach a draft pick to move Cutler
Bleacher Report11:56 AM
Eagles vs. Redskins: Live Score and Analysis for Philadelphia
Yahoo! Sports 5:54 PM
Eagles playoff hopes suffer with loss to Redskins
Bleacher Report 6:14 PM
RG3 Showing Enough to Remain Starter in WSH