Messianic Jews say they are persecute...

Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

There are 72037 comments on the Newsday story from Jun 21, 2008, titled Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel. In it, Newsday reports that:

Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

JOEL COOL DUDE

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

#70724 Apr 2, 2014
PLANES OF CONSCIOUSNESS - 1:

"By the gross physical is meant the earthly and bodily physical - as experienced by the outward sense-mind and senses. But that is not the whole of matter. There is a subtle physical also with a subtler consciousness in it which can, for instance, go to a distance from the body and yet feel and be aware of things in a not merely mental or vital way. The subtle physical has a freedom, plasticity, intensity, power, color, wide and manifold play (there are thousands of things there that are not here) of which, as yet, we have no possibility in the gross physical."

— Sri Aurobindo, Letters on Yoga, part 1, section v

JOEL COOL DUDE

Location hidden

#70725 Apr 2, 2014
PLANES OF CONSCIOUSNESS - 2:

"There are always two different consciousnesses in the human being, one outward in which he ordinarily lives, the other inward and concealed of which he knows nothing. When one does sadhana (yogic practices), the inner consciousness begins to open and one is able to go inside and have all kinds of experiences there. As the sadhana progresses, one begins to live more and more in this inner being and the outer becomes more and more superficial. At first the inner consciousness seems to be the dream and the outer the waking reality. Afterwards the inner consciousness becomes the reality and the outer is felt by many as a dream or delusion, or else as something superficial and external. The inner consciousness begins to be a place of deep peace, light, happiness, love, closeness to the supreme consciousness. One is then aware of two consciousnesses, the inner one and the outer which has to be changed into its counterpart and instrument-that also must become full of peace, light, union with the supreme consciousness. At present you are moving between the two and in this period all the feelings you have are quite natural. You must not be at all anxious about that, but wait for the full development of the inner consciousness in which you will be able to live."

— Sri Aurobindo,'Letters on Yoga', p 307

JOEL COOL DUDE

Location hidden

#70728 Apr 2, 2014
MIND - PART 1

For Sri Aurobindo, Mind or the Mental being is not simple and uniform, but consists itself of various strata and subdivisions, the whole contributing to an elaborate integral theory of psychology.

In his letters answering questions from disciples, Sri Aurobindo summarises the characteristics of the various levels of Mind (see Letters on Yoga vol. I pp. 324–5).

These various Minds and Mental principles of being include:

1) Higher Mind - the first and lowest of the spiritual mental grades, lying above the normal mental level.

2) Spiritual Mind - either the spiritualised mind, or a general term for levels of mind above the normal mental level (the "Mind Proper").

3) Inner mind - the mental component of the Inner Being, which lies behind the surface mind or ordinary consciousness and can only be directly experienced by sadhana

4) True mental being - is the principle of the mental level freed from the error and ignorance of the lower consciousness and open to the knowledge and guidance from the superior planes of consciousness.

5) Psychic Mind - a movement of the mind in which the Psychic Being (organizing principle of consciousness in the body) predominates; the mind turned towards the Higher.

6) Mind Proper - is free-fold, consisting of Thinking Mind, dynamic Mind, externalising Mind. It constitutes the sum of one's thoughts, opinions, ideas, and values, which guide conscious thinking, conceptualizing and decision-making processes, and is transformed, widened, and spiritualised through the practice of Integral Yoga.

JOEL COOL DUDE

Location hidden

#70729 Apr 2, 2014
MIND - PART 2

7) Thinking Mind - the highest aspect of the mind proper, concerned with ideas and knowledge in their own right. It is equated with the Ajna Chakra between the eyebrows.

8) Dynamic Mind - that aspect of the ordinary mind that puts out of mental forces for realisation, acting by the idea and by reason. It is also equated with the Ajna or Brow center.

9) Externalising Mind - the most "external" part of the mind proper, concerned with the expression of ideas in speech, in life, or in any form it can give. It is equated with the Vishuddha or Throat Chakra

10) Vital Mind - a mediator between the vital emotions, desires, and so on the mental proper. It is limited by the vital view and feeling of things, and expresses the desires, feelings, ambitions,and other active tendencies of the vital in mental forms, such as daydreams and imaginations of greatness, happiness, and so on. As with the Externalising Mind, Sri Aurobindo associates it with the Vishuddha or Throat Chakra in the CNS.

11) Physical Mind - refers to either or both the Externalising Mind and the Mental in the Physical; it is limited to a physical or materialistic perspective, and cannot go beyond that, unless enlightened from above.

12) Mind in the physical or mental physical mentalises the experiences of outward life and things, sometimes very cleverly, but it does not go beyond that, unlike the externalising mind which deals with these things from the perspective of reason and its own higher intelligence.

13) The Mechanical Mind is a much lower action of the mental physical which when left to itself can only repeat the same ideas and record the reflexes of the physical consciousness in its contact with outward life and things.

14) Mind of Light - according to The Mother this is the Physical Mind receiving the supramental light and thus being able to act directly in the Physical (The Mother, 1980, pp. 63–64)

JOEL COOL DUDE

Location hidden

#70730 Apr 2, 2014
The supramental planes lie above the planes of the mind.

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#70731 Apr 2, 2014
What a waste of pixels

JOEL COOL DUDE

Location hidden

#70732 Apr 2, 2014
Central Being is a technical term used by Sri Aurobindo to designate the transcendent degrees of consciousness, as opposed to the incarnate and evolving consciousness, which he calls the Psychic Being, although sometimes it refers to both of them together as the essential conscient core of the being.

JOEL COOL DUDE

Location hidden

#70733 Apr 2, 2014
"The consciousness of the seer, is a greater power for knowledge than the consciousness of the thinker. The perceptual power of the inner sight is greater and more direct than the perceptual power of thought:..."

Sri Aurobindo

Source: The Life Divine, p. 982
former res

Cheshire, CT

#70734 Apr 2, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
I would be shocked if there wasnt a legitimized tradition of struggle within your religion. I would argue that nothing comes easy. And nothing is ever settled. Whether the culture encourages it on the lay level is a different question.
" I would argue that nothing comes easy. "

Nothing worthwhile.

A Jesuit would know all this.

I know there is this field of argument which I thought sounded interesting:

Christian apologetics (Greek: &#7936;&#960;&#959 ;&#955;&#959;&#947 ;&#943;&#945;, "verbal defence, speech in defence")[1] is a field of Christian theology which aims to present a rational basis for the Christian faith, defending the faith against objections.

Christian apologetics has taken many forms over the centuries, starting with Paul the Apostle in the early church and Patristic writers such as Origen, Augustine of Hippo, Justin Martyr and Tertullian, then continuing with writers such as Thomas Aquinas and Anselm of Canterbury during Scholasticism. Blaise Pascal was active before and during the Age of Enlightenment, and in the modern period Christianity was defended through the efforts of many authors such as G. K. Chesterton and C. S. Lewis. In contemporary times Christianity has been defended through the work of figures such as Ravi Zacharias, Doug Wilson, Alvin Plantinga, James White and William Lane Craig.

Apologists have based their defense of Christianity on historical evidence, philosophical arguments, and arguments from other disciplines. Christian polemic is a branch of apologetics aimed at criticizing or attacking other belief systems.[2][3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_apolog...

former res

Cheshire, CT

#70735 Apr 2, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
I did. I reserve the right to be multi dimensional and contradict myself at will (only human you know), however, what I meant by "see" was not see in the theistic sense. More like a state of generalized awareness.
God is omnipresent.

He's in the smell of the roses and also on the toast.

You are indeed human. Go in peace my son.

JOEL COOL DUDE

Location hidden

#70736 Apr 2, 2014
"Consciousness is usually identified with mind, but mental consciousness is only the human range which no more exhausts all the possible ranges of consciousness than human sight exhausts all the gradations of color or human hearing all the gradations of sound — for there is much above or below that is to man invisible and inaudible. So there are ranges of consciousness above and below the human range, with which the normal human [consciousness] has no contact and they seem to it unconscious...."

- Sri Aurobindo, The Life Divine, p.233.

JOEL COOL DUDE

Location hidden

#70737 Apr 2, 2014
"Our physical organism no more causes or explains thought and consciousness than the construction of an engine causes or explains the motive-power of steam or electricity. The force is anterior, not the physical instrument."

-- Sri Aurobindo, The Life Divine, p. 86.

JOEL COOL DUDE

Location hidden

#70738 Apr 2, 2014
"Consciousness is a fundamental thing, the fundamental thing in existence  it is the energy, the motion, the movement of consciousness that creates the universe and all that is in it  not only the macrocosm but the microcosm is nothing but consciousness arranging itself. For instance, when consciousness in its movement or rather a certain stress of movement forgets itself in the action it becomes an apparently unconscious” energy; when it forgets itself in the form it becomes the electron, the atom, the material object. In reality it is still consciousness that works in the energy and determines the form and the evolution of form. When it wants to liberate itself, slowly, evolutionarily, out of Matter, but still in the form, it emerges as life, as animal, as man and it can go on evolving itself still farther out of its involution and become something more than mere man."

-- Sri Aurobindo, The Life Divine, pp. 236-7.

JOEL COOL DUDE

Location hidden

#70739 Apr 2, 2014
"Consciousness is not only power of awareness of self and things, it is or has also a dynamic and creative energy. It can determine its own reactions or abstain from reactions; it can not only answer to forces, but create or put out from itself forces. Consciousness is Chit but also Chit Shakti, awareness but also conscious force."

-- Sri Aurobindo, Letters on Yoga, p. 234
former res

Cheshire, CT

#70740 Apr 2, 2014
STEFANO COLONNA wrote:
<quoted text>.........I don't describe myself nor I care do it. Others do that for me.
If you want you can try to define my position by reading what I wrote at half of this post.
If I understand what you wrote (and I wouldn't bet the rent on it), I "believe" we're more or less on the same page.

Special plans for Easter Sunday?

"On the third day he rose again;: he ascended into heaven,: he is seated at the right hand of the Father,: and he will come to judge the living and the dead."
former res

Cheshire, CT

#70741 Apr 2, 2014
Abolish The Fed wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you have any facts that the constitution is applicable?
I think it's incumbent on you to show why it shouldn't.

Is that a yes on the troll question?
former res

Cheshire, CT

#70742 Apr 2, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
What a waste of pixels
He should be charged with regularly polluting this forum.

Where's the EPA when you need them?

Everyday it's like he threw up here. Over and over.
Abolish The Fed

Stamford, CT

#70743 Apr 2, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
I think it's incumbent on you to show why it shouldn't.
Is that a yes on the troll question?
I haven't seen any evidence that some words written over 200 years ago are applicable to me, you are the one making the claim of separation, you make the claim its your burden of proof. What facts do you rely on that the constitution is applicable to me personally?
former res

Cheshire, CT

#70744 Apr 2, 2014
Abolish The Fed wrote:
<quoted text>
I haven't seen any evidence that some words written over 200 years ago are applicable to me, you are the one making the claim of separation, you make the claim its your burden of proof. What facts do you rely on that the constitution is applicable to me personally?
"The Constitution of the United States is the supreme law of the United States of America."

Maier, Pauline.“Ratification: the people debate the constitution, 1787-1788”. 2010. ISBN 978-0-684-86854-7, p. 35.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Co...

Unless you say something smart (or even interesting) this time. I'm finished with you.

And I will officially label you a troll.

Have a nice day!

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#70746 Apr 2, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
"The Constitution of the United States is the supreme law of the United States of America."
Maier, Pauline.“Ratification: the people debate the constitution, 1787-1788”. 2010. ISBN 978-0-684-86854-7, p. 35.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Co...
Unless you say something smart (or even interesting) this time. I'm finished with you.
And I will officially label you a troll.
Have a nice day!
Not so much a troll as a delusional, misguided individual who subscribes to pseudo-science as well as any and all conspiracy theories. In other words, a Ron/Rand Paul supporter.

Either way, not worth the time.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min VetnorsGate 1,406,455
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 6 min Dr Guru 219,845
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 15 min Ize Found 70,852
Chicago has the Worst Women 1 hr Jimbo 41
People who annoy you. 1 hr Jimbo 3
This is reason Pat Buchanan fired from CNN. 1 hr PatSezVOTETRUMP 4
Al Sharpton 1 hr AlisApieceOfShyt 11
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 2 hr Sublime1 103,173

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages