Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

Full story: Newsday

Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family.
Comments
63,821 - 63,840 of 68,456 Comments Last updated 3 hrs ago

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2014

Judged:

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>

I fail to see much difference between "nothingness" in the tradition of Zen,
"Nothingness"?

Zen might teach "shunyavad" or "nothingness" - a later accretion to Buddhism.

The Buddha did not mention shunyavad.

Buddha's teachings ended in the Nirvana-state via trance.

Nirvana is not the shunya or the nothing of Zen.

Nirvana is the calm subliminal state of consciousness that stands just behind the ripples of the frontal consciousness.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2014

Judged:

Abolish The Fed wrote:
<quoted text>

"do you love your parents".
The brainless idiot COR said that he does love his parents.

I wonder what the rat means by love.

Love and other emotions cannot be explained scientifically but as expected the rat, COR, avoided answering this question too and brushed it off with typical low grade atheistic banter.

Emotions are not just a rush of chemicals.

There's a movement in consciousness that initiates the rush of certain chemicals which the idiot mistakes for love.

So, an emotion traces its origin in a movement of consciousness and with consciousness being an integral part of energy thus this movement of consciousness (say love, lust or hatred) stimulates the concomitant hormones that as a result get released in the blood stream.

Thus, an emotion has a subtle side which is the underlying state of consciousness and an outer measurable aspect which is manifested by a rush of chemicals.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2014

Judged:

An emotion is an experience in consciousness that has far reaching consequences on our thoughts, health, relationships and actions.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2014

Judged:

DEITY, MICROBES & ATHEISM

To get evidence of a deity, as demanded by the atheists, one has to rise high in consciousness (beyond all external forms) to investigate whether the so-called deity exists as a movement of consciousness or is just a figment of imagination.

One can't be dismissive of a deity (or of deities) from a lower state of consciousness which would be as foolish as say an uneducated man denying the existence of bacteria since he cannot see bacteria with the naked eyes.

Bacteria, as known, can be seen only through a microscope.

So, the atheists have got this point on the existence of deity/deities wrong, too.

LOL.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2014

Judged:

So, just as bacteria cannot be seen with the naked eyes, similarly, one should not inquire about the existence of a deity while living in the ordinary state of consciousness.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2014

Judged:

The thumb rule is that only like can perceive/understand like.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2014

In Vedanta and Tibetan Buddhism, the state of nothingness or the shunya state of existence is a state of consciousness that's devoid of all thoughts. Yes, the thoughtless state is an "on-the-way" state to the supreme goal which is complete union in consciousness-force with the higher self..

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2014

While we lay great emphasis on telescopic and microscopic vision, we should lay greater stress on psychic vision wherever it can be developed.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2014

Judged:

While telescopic vision and microscopic vision can be developed by using the telescope and the microscope respectively, the instrument that needs to be employed for psychic vision is the mind itself in its heightened functional mode.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2014

Judged:

When we use a telescope or a microscope, our state of consciousness is the same ordinary consciousness in its exteriorized functional mode and so telescopic and microscopic visions do not involve any shift in consciousness, whereas when we enter the domain of psychic vision a complete shift in consciousness from the ordinary to the heightened functional mode in consciousness has to take place if the psychic mode of perception has to replace the ordinary way of perception. Just a handful of persons can manifest the psychic vision.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2014

Particle physicist and systems thinker Fritjof Capra has some of this capacity for psychic vision.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2014

Judged:

OCCULT CHEMISTRY & PSI

Much before particle physics could inferentially deduct the nature of subatomic particles, 2 theosophists, Annie Besant and Bishop Olcott, had conducted an investigation into the core of matter via the trance state and in that trance state they saw the subatomic world firsthand and while in waking trance they began dictating to a stenographer present at the place the direct perception of the subatomic world.

Their psychic investigation into the nature of matter at the subatomic level is contained in detail in a book called Occult Chemistry published by the Theosophical Society of India.

Later, this occult book formed the basis of a doctoral thesis on the link between the occult vision and the inferential findings of particles by a student named Philips or something like that.

The book, Occult Chemistry and a copy of the PhD thesis on the same was given to a friend's dad by Dr M M Srinivasan, ex-head of the Neutron Physics Division, BARC, Mumbai. I have seen both.

It was a humbling as well as an awe-inspiring experience for me.

Since: Nov 13

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2014

you all seem pretty much convinced and determined, to do the devils world for him. with all of your denial of being here in Only The Torah again from HaShem G-D.

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2014

JOEL COOL DUDE wrote:
<quoted text>
No, the concepts are different.
"Ayn od milvado" means "there's no one else besides HaShem".
It's one thing to say "ayn od milvado" (there's no one else besides HaShem) and it's a totally different thing to say "I am HaShem".
Ayn od milvado ((there's no one else besides HaShem) is a dualistic statement which puts HaShem on the loftiest pedestal and worships him as G-d Almighty.
To say "I am HaShem" is a nondual experience in consciousness which is not part of Judaism and would be considered a blasphemy.
Thats not how it is interpreted in my tradition.

Sorry, you are wrong again.

:)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2014

Abolish The Fed wrote:
<quoted text>

You can call me whatever you want, atheists are like scorn women.
I.
No evidence to back up that claim.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2014

former res wrote:
<quoted text>
OTOH if you're interviewing a potential nanny/babysitter for your baby, and she says "Hey look at the pink elephant over there!" You might want to put her at the bottom of the list.
How about the co-worker who comes in everyday and tells your about all the cool stuff god said to him last night? Any better? Could he babysit for you?
If it affects their behavior, yes. If it doesnt, no.

Have no problem with people who keep their beliefs to themselves.

The 2 examples above do not fall into that category.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2014

former res wrote:
<quoted text>
I have niece who converted to Judaism (her new husband's faith) and they ended up getting divorced. Oh well, guess no good deed goes unpunished.!
I would NEVER encourage someone to "convert" to Judaism as a "good deed". Nor would any Rabbi, I would hope. "Conversion" is a form of tribal initiation, its not for brownie points. Historically, Jews discourage conversion for that reason. Its not (just) entry into a faith, its entry into a people.
former res wrote:
<quoted text>Guess I understand just my nature to wonder if there might not be another faith/religion/culture that may be MORE awe-inspiring or fit me better! The sky's the limit and all that..
Like a bigger ocean, bluer sky, taller grass. I know you can relate
Never been much of a joiner, except to my wife of 26 years (in May)!
My view (and my experience) is that what one may feel lacking is a psychological lack, not a religious lack. Once you find what you are looking for, you can then probably find it in your own culture/religion, in many (not all) cases. Certainly (if you are from) in Judaism, which has a huge breadth and depth of perspectives and ideological movements.

I learned a lot about other religions when I was younger. And I realized that what I liked about the other religions were also found in my own, if I cared to look deeper, and grapple with the Hebrew.

The mistake a lot of people have is thinking their knowledge of their born religion, a la Sunday School, is IT. Its not. Its the perspective of a bored kid or bored teen, being carried along as baggage as an adult. When you approach the subject with mature intellectual curiosity, there (potentially) is a lot more to be learned about what the religion is.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2014

Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
From a Xtian perspective, faith is core. Without it, there is no reason to stay unless you value the social aspect of it. But that need can be filled multiple other ways in far more fulfilling ways. Nothing irrational about it.
Understand. As we have discussed before, there are major differences between Christianity and Judaism - to the point that they really are not even comparable as systems. The role of belief vs practice, for one. I suspect, with Judaism embrace of multiple forms of thought, including agnosticism, that there are more practicing Jews that are atheists or agnostics, then Christians of the same. Or not?

But that said, it you felt THEOLOGICALLY you were getting a return on your investment, perhaps you would of stayed with your Church. Obviously you felt not. So you bolted. Doesnt mean you were necessarily having a negative experience (scorned woman!), maybe it was more a bland experience, but obviously you were experiencing something different than a devout person.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2014

Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
It just occurred to me that I didn't give ATF enough credit. He might actually be one of the charlatans who peddle this pseudo-scientific cr@p for profit, in which case, he has a vested interested in willful ignorance.
Amway marketing of nutritional supplements

I agree with your former comment that the Gluten thing is way overblown. Total bandwagon effect.

Also, I find it interesting that society is swinging back towards fat, in milk. Makes sense to me.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2014

former res wrote:
<quoted text>
I (not surprisingly) agree.
If the thing one happened to be in awe of at the time were say - some great mathematical prowess; Einstein's theories; Stephen Hawkings; and so on - you'd certainly need your brain engaged as well as your emotions.
Of course your emotions are really just thoughts too so...whatever.
Did we decide where we were going with this?
:))
You engage your brain THEN you feel awe. Its sequential. Prayer works the same way.

But that is a side story. Where I was going, or went, was more of a focus of how the generation of thoughts distracts from the feeling aspect. Thats a bit different since unlike the above process, which is in the back of your consciousness, random thinking is in the forefront. What tends to happen is that you identify with your thoughts rather than with the experience (i.e become lost in your thoughts).

The antidote to that is the practice of "mindfullness", where you accept your thoughts but dont get carried away with them.

http://greatergood.berkeley.edu/topic/mindful...

powerful stuff, if you have a good teacher and keep up the practice

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

83 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min Buroc Millhouse Obama 1,084,554
Obama, Emanuel Need to Put Chicago's Kids First 24 min dirtbag1958 7
Is Anything on the Internet Real Anymore? 25 min Melissa Melton 1
Ask Amy 8-1-14 26 min RACE 7
Abby 8-1-14 32 min RACE 4
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 35 min Uzi 68,086
IL Illinois Governor Recall Amendment (Oct '10) 59 min Pay to Play 1,881
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr Bellweather 175,243
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 2 hr PEllen 97,587
•••
•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••