Messianic Jews say they are persecute...

Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

There are 71944 comments on the Newsday story from Jun 21, 2008, titled Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel. In it, Newsday reports that:

Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#70534 Mar 31, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
...what goes on in one's head (i.e. their thoughts) can be a major blockage to experiencing a sense of awe and wonder.
I believe we've been down this path before. Anyone can experience awe and wonder. I'm an extremely skeptical person, but that's never prevented me from experiencing a sense of awe and wonder: a sunset, a moving piece of music, the vastness of the universe, etc...
former res

Cheshire, CT

#70535 Mar 31, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
I admit its a continuum, and probably atheists are less guilty of it than a lot of Christians.
I think where I was heading was the observation that what goes on in one's head (i.e. their thoughts) can be a major blockage to experiencing a sense of awe and wonder.
uh oh! Here we go again.

The old "Atheists can't experience awe or wonder" or voices in their heads for that matter!
(Unless they also happen to be psychotic...)

Frijoles, you need a new tune.

Couldn't the same be said for one born into a certain religion and never considering another one simply because of family/cultural tradition (or as I read it, comfort zone). Simply satisfied being satisfied?

Location hidden

#70536 Mar 31, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
another idiot in search of a village
too blind to notice a troll
Confirmation bias? Trolls don't notice trolls, perhaps?
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#70537 Mar 31, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny things about us Jews. We question, and encourage dissent and introspection. And we rarely follow our spiritual leaders blindly.
Does your religion do the same?
----------
http://www.jpost.com/Jewish-World/Jewish-News...
A group of students belonging to the national-religious Ne’emanei Torah Va’avodah organization wrote a strong letter of criticism to Yosef, condemning his university ruling.
“This is something [copying work] which is morally corrupt, and we don’t know how it is possible to find any justification for it,” they wrote.
“Apart from the fact that such actions are a serious breach of university regulations, we as students who work hard every day doing course work and exams are saddened to see the legitimization of cheating and unilateral abrogation of student assignments.”
Tzohar executive vice president Nachman Rosenberg also harshly criticized the rabbi for his halachic ruling.
“It is a sad wonder how, between police investigations, trash talking and immorality, Rabbi Avraham Yosef finds both the time and audacity to personally persecute Rabbi Stav,” Rosenberg said.“I do not doubt his expertise in the Jewish laws pertaining to Passover cleaning, but I think he can use a serious polishing up on the laws of slander and the desecration of God’s name.”
HughBe---"Leading Sefardi Haredi Rabbi Tells University Students It Is KOSHER To Cheat And Plagiarize

Frijoles---Funny things about us Jews.. we rarely follow our spiritual leaders blindly.

HughBe--- Please follow closely.

1. KOSHER things including KOSHER CHEATING and KOSHER PORK are irrelevant to Jews who are NOT religious.

2. KOSHER is also IRRELEVANT to Jews who are into Eastern and other religions. How do you speak for them?

3. Since it is religion that makes one a JEW then I find it interesting that CONVERT Jews do not follow their masters blindly. How then did the "QUALIFY" to become "JEWS"?

4. How is it that your fellow Judaists accept the FALSE concept of KOSHER pork when it is clear even to a moron that the BIBLE says otherwise? Are you not BLIND sheep following your masters? If not explain why not.

5. Your claim lacks honesty and imbeciles can see that.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#70538 Mar 31, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
another idiot in search of a village
too blind to notice a troll
Abolish The Fed--Any black men looking for gay times?

Joel, the comic----Hugh would seize the chance.

Hugh, the sane---- Am I a dork sucking rabbi? NO

Frijoles, the Flocer---another idiot in search of a village too blind to notice a troll

HughBe--- The point went over your head as usual. My concern and FOCUS was on the CONTENTS i.e. "Hugh would seize the chance" and so I would NOT take any comfort in knowing that the poster is a troll.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#70539 Mar 31, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
thank you for the judgenments, Mr Huggy
consistent with your persona
Son, assuming that I understand you correctly I shall say that I have made no judgments. As I have said so many times in the past I rarely make judgments and when I do it is the FUNNY one.

Do you ever learn anything good?
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#70540 Mar 31, 2014
bi boys

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#70541 Mar 31, 2014
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe we've been down this path before. Anyone can experience awe and wonder. I'm an extremely skeptical person, but that's never prevented me from experiencing a sense of awe and wonder: a sunset, a moving piece of music, the vastness of the universe, etc...
Did I say this was a religious thing? I did not. I merely stated it as is.

Of course you can experience awe. But not if you are too busy thinking about something. Awe is an emotion, not a thought.

Location hidden

#70542 Mar 31, 2014
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
HughBe---"Leading Sefardi Haredi Rabbi Tells University Students It Is KOSHER To Cheat And Plagiarize
Frijoles---Funny things about us Jews.. we rarely follow our spiritual leaders blindly.
HughBe--- Please follow closely.
1. KOSHER things including KOSHER CHEATING and KOSHER PORK are irrelevant to Jews who are NOT religious.
2. KOSHER is also IRRELEVANT to Jews who are into Eastern and other religions. How do you speak for them?
3. Since it is religion that makes one a JEW then I find it interesting that CONVERT Jews do not follow their masters blindly. How then did the "QUALIFY" to become "JEWS"?
4. How is it that your fellow Judaists accept the FALSE concept of KOSHER pork when it is clear even to a moron that the BIBLE says otherwise? Are you not BLIND sheep following your masters? If not explain why not.
5. Your claim lacks honesty and imbeciles can see that.
Most of that rant is deflection, but I will note that conversion to Judaism is just as much about education as it is ritual.

Location hidden

#70543 Mar 31, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
So you never did a comparative analysis to see if another religion would fit you better?
Do think most people would agree that one has to reject his own BEFORE choosing another?
(I don't get the 'pre-req' part..)
Some folks remarry and then change to their new spouses religion.
Religion, which I define as mans response to spiritual calling, is inseparable from culture. Asking me if another religion would fit me better is like asking me if another culture would fit me better. Since I can not un-immerse myself in my culture, the answer would be no. The issues I have with my own religion are resolvable without leaving the host culture.

I would think that someone adopting a foreign religion would either be rejecting their own host culture, or feel (or do not recognize) that they do not have a host culture.

I cant comment on conversion except for conversion to Judaism, which really isnt a conversion in the Christian sense as much as a repositioning itself into Jewish culture by becoming a member of the Jewish people. Thats very different from the Christian notion of baptism or testifying - which lacks a peoplehood concept(?). Before someone converts to Judaism, they have to study the religion, people, and history, and satisfy their Rabbi (not much different grad school exams in a way - entrance into the grad tribe.).

Location hidden

#70544 Mar 31, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>

I don't think your comments an atheists hold for agnostic-atheists who make no claim to know and are not activist/militant.
i agree - it was directed to the more extreme end of the continuum.
former res wrote:
<quoted text>I don't judge much those who say they speak to god, but those who say god speaks to them, they deserve judgment. And they would also likely qualify for a psych diagnosis as well (strictly speaking). All due respect of course.(But that wouldn't me, that would be a shrink deciding/judging.)
Tomorrow is April's fool's day. wonder how that fits in here?
Who I am to judge someone's subjective experience?... Until they act on it in a way that affects me, or general society.

Like COR said, everyone is batsht crazy. Its what you do with that, that matters.

Location hidden

#70545 Mar 31, 2014
HughBe wrote:
Frijoles---Bohm - an ex Jew?
HughBe--- There is no such thing as an "ex-Jew". Can someone become an ex-black? That is the IDENTICAL thing to calling someone an ex-Jew.
Jews are a RACE of people or a FAMILY that has COMMON ancestors going back to Jacob or Israel. NOTHING that any man can say or do shall ever change this FACT.
I find the concept of ex-Jew to be CRIMINAL and INHUMANE in my mind.
Its a religion as well as an ethnic affiliation.

But it has nothing to do with CRIMINAL or INHUMANE. You need need to chill, your responses are kind of creepy, to be honest....

Location hidden

#70546 Mar 31, 2014
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
As I have said so many times in the past I rarely make judgments and when I do it is the FUNNY one.
Is homosexuality bad?

Location hidden

#70547 Mar 31, 2014
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
Confirmation bias? Trolls don't notice trolls, perhaps?
absolutely confirmation bias.
Abolish The Fed

Stamford, CT

#70548 Mar 31, 2014
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
Same here re: Confirmation, but I wasn't an atheist yet at the time, so no regrets.
Later in life, however, I was faced with a dliemna of revealing my atheism to a very religious family or accepting an invite to be a godfather (on several occasions). I chose to maintain the peace and accept the offers. It did require some mental gymnastics on my part to justify the internal hypocrisy I was feeling.
Your very large anti-religion stance speaks volumes of your bad religious experience. There are reformed atheist in religion today, you might find your way back to some belief in the future.
For some reason you dont want to answer the question of "do you love your parents".
To answer formers question, sergios is the best in my opinion, but I don't eat it anymore because I am gluten free.
Abolish The Fed

Stamford, CT

#70549 Mar 31, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Is homosexuality bad?
Homosexuality has high risk factors attached to it, for that reason alone it is bad.

Location hidden

#70550 Mar 31, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Did I say this was a religious thing? I did not. I merely stated it as is.
Of course you can experience awe. But not if you are too busy thinking about something. Awe is an emotion, not a thought.
Neither did I say it was a religious thing.

Fact is, anyone can be too busy to "smell the flowers" so to speak. So what?

Awe is both an emotion and a thought. I can think about the vastness of the Universe and what my place is in it, and I can simultaneously experience a flood of emotions ranging from humbleness to outright excitement.

So where exactly are we going with this?

Location hidden

#70551 Mar 31, 2014
Abolish The Fed wrote:
Your very large anti-religion stance speaks volumes of your bad religious experience.
Sorry to disappoint. My experiences growing up, of which religion was a part of, were all fairly positive.
Abolish The Fed wrote:
There are reformed atheist in religion today, you might find your way back to some belief in the future.
What exactly is a reformed atheist? And unless someone can provide me with credible evidence for the existence of a deity, you won't see me "finding my way back".
Abolish The Fed wrote:
For some reason you dont want to answer the question of "do you love your parents".
That's because I don't typically waste my time with trolls. But I'll give you one chance to prove me wrong.

Yes, I love my parents.
Abolish The Fed wrote:
To answer formers question, sergios is the best in my opinion, but I don't eat it anymore because I am gluten free.
Sergio's is okay, if you're into Greek style pizza. And unless you have Celiac disease, your wasting your time with this gluten-free fad.

Location hidden

#70552 Mar 31, 2014
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
Neither did I say it was a religious thing.
Fact is, anyone can be too busy to "smell the flowers" so to speak. So what?
Awe is both an emotion and a thought. I can think about the vastness of the Universe and what my place is in it, and I can simultaneously experience a flood of emotions ranging from humbleness to outright excitement.
So where exactly are we going with this?
I stand corrected. You didnt say it was a religious thing. However, you did say we had been down that path before, so I made that assumption.

Some would say that "thinking" about the vastness of the universe is not the same expressing awe, which is an emotive experience, but contemplation, which is an intellectual experience, and perhaps a counterpart to awe.
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
Not persuaded. This is were I agree with the Bhuddists. Sure you can THINK, but it detracts from the emotion of the experience, by definition.

However, if I take you at your word that you suspend thought in order to experience....thats a different story. But then you would not be practicing atheism (for that moment), as you need to be thinking to adopt an intellectual stance.

-------
Awe: an overwhelming feeling of reverence, admiration, fear, etc., produced by that which is grand, sublime, extremely powerful, or the like: EX. in awe of God; in awe of great political figures.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/awe

Location hidden

#70553 Mar 31, 2014
Abolish The Fed wrote:
<quoted text>
Homosexuality has high risk factors attached to it, for that reason alone it is bad.
That bait was not intended for you

that said, diabetics have high risk factors, are diabetics bad?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 4 min PEllen 100,655
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min TSM 1,277,284
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 11 min Rogue Scholar 05 196,978
Ask amy 9-2-15 27 min Mrs Gladys Kravitz 6
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 30 min SpaceBlues 54,556
2000 Chevy astro dies after I take off on a com... 1 hr AAvila 1
129Steps- Steps to a brighter future 1 hr 129Steps 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages