Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

Full story: Newsday

Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family.
Comments
62,901 - 62,920 of 68,375 Comments Last updated 14 min ago

Since: Jan 14

Mumbai, India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2014

Judged:

Yawn.

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2014

Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
I've been to China. Food wasn't bad, but I did stick with the basics - nothing too fancy. I did try Ostriche, though. A little too gamey for my tastes.
Yeah, it turned out the major issue wouldnt of been the food anyway- but the earthquake that later hit the region I was considering going to.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2014

Judged:

JOEL COOL DUDE wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm telling you again that you're not a connoisseur of food, style and ambience.
Ok, you can tell him (and the rest of us) again.

and again...

but that doesnt make your statement any more truthful or less arrogant (as if you are taking a page from the Jamaican's playbook).

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2014

former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Repeating yourself is just boring.
Michelin is a book my mother uses.
The more hip here use Zagat and Trip Advisor.
Have you ever heard of "street food?" Nothing fancy there and some of the best food you can get. And ultimate in local character and flavor of most any region.
You may be book smart but you are clearly not wise.
And worse yet, you appear to be unteachable.
No way to go through life. This is a shame. Open up your mind.
Do you ever admit the possibility that your are wrong about something or could actually learn something new? Just curious.
What is a "Michelin Star"?

I have to admit that although I have vaguely heard of the Michelin guide, I never met anyone who still used it. Zagats, otoh, is used widely. I use YELP a lot. Trip Advisor - sometimes to ID possibilities but never for the reviews because they are always subjective - a few who love, a few who hate....

".....The reviewers are supposed to concentrate on the quality, mastery of technique, personality and consistency of the food, not on interior décor, table setting, or service quality...."

------
http://culinarytravel.about.com/od/planningcu...

The term "Michelin Star" is a hallmark of fine dining quality -- which is pretty funny considering that Michelin is, in fact, a tire company. But the Michelin company launched its first guide book in 1900 to encourage road tripping in France, and started anonymously reviewing restaurants by means of a three-star system in 1926.

Michelin awards 0-3 stars on the basis of anonymous inspections by reviewers. The reviewers are supposed to concentrate on the quality, mastery of technique, personality and consistency of the food, not on interior décor, table setting, or service quality.

There are annual Michelin guides available for countries and cities all over the world, mostly outside the United States.(In the U.S., there are Michelin guides to New York, San Francisco, and since 2010, Chicago. The company discontinued its Los Angeles and Las Vegas Guides in 2009.)
Since Michelin started in France, the guides are sometimes accused of having a bias towards French cuisine/style/technique, or towards a snobby, formal dining style. In New York City, for instance, there are seven restaurants that received the top three-star rating, and only one of them greatly varies from a classic and formal dining experience.(That's Chef's Table at Brooklyn Fare, where the meal is served at a kitchen table.) Check out the list of celebrity chefs who failed to receive three Michelin stars.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2014

former res wrote:
<quoted text>
I only ate lunch there once 35 years ago while on a one-day tour from Hong Kong.(My dad lived in HK for a couple of years while working for IBM.)
The country was only recently opened up and they put on quite a show for us - children singing American show tunes etc.
Very drab colors; many people riding old fashion bikes with big balloon tires; peasants trying to sell us pieces of sugar cane.
I remember eating some sort of fried fish which tasted ok; though it could just have easily been dog meat (or mixed with dog meat; or monkey brains).
Almost anything tastes good breaded and fried, esp when you're hungry.
My relatives who did make the trip enjoyed the food very much. Though most of the time they had no clue what the food was nor did they want to know.

Bottom line is that China is huge country, and it is impossible to typify the food.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2014

http://tinyurl.com/nypjlhz

And this is why you give an inch, they take a mile...

Mumbai, India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2014

Judged:

CREATIONISM & SCIENCE SHOULD BE RESTRAINED

Science can claim to be complete and not the partial discipline that it is the day it can demonstrate the following:

1) The synthesis of sentience from scratch in a lab.

2) The synthesis of a living organism like say a human being from an assembly of molecules.

3) Conquest of death.

4) Revival of a corpse via electrochemical or any other physical means.

5) Creation of a quark from energy.

6) Demonstrate in a lab the origin of the universe from "nothing" - a scaled down version would do

Mumbai, India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2014

Judged:

Science is as absurd as creationism where the most fundamental phenomena are concerned since it has failed to achieve all of the above (1 to 6) .
former res

Cheshire, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2014

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>What is a "Michelin Star"?
I have to admit that although I have vaguely heard of the Michelin guide, I never met anyone who still used it. Zagats, otoh, is used widely. I use YELP a lot. Trip Advisor - sometimes to ID possibilities but never for the reviews because they are always subjective - a few who love, a few who hate....
".....The reviewers are supposed to concentrate on the quality, mastery of technique, personality and consistency of the food, not on interior décor, table setting, or service quality...."
------
http://culinarytravel.about.com/od/planningcu...
The term "Michelin Star" is a hallmark of fine dining quality -- which is pretty funny considering that Michelin is, in fact, a tire company. But the Michelin company launched its first guide book in 1900 to encourage road tripping in France, and started anonymously reviewing restaurants by means of a three-star system in 1926.
Michelin awards 0-3 stars on the basis of anonymous inspections by reviewers. The reviewers are supposed to concentrate on the quality, mastery of technique, personality and consistency of the food, not on interior décor, table setting, or service quality.
There are annual Michelin guides available for countries and cities all over the world, mostly outside the United States.(In the U.S., there are Michelin guides to New York, San Francisco, and since 2010, Chicago. The company discontinued its Los Angeles and Las Vegas Guides in 2009.)
Since Michelin started in France, the guides are sometimes accused of having a bias towards French cuisine/style/technique, or towards a snobby, formal dining style. In New York City, for instance, there are seven restaurants that received the top three-star rating, and only one of them greatly varies from a classic and formal dining experience.(That's Chef's Table at Brooklyn Fare, where the meal is served at a kitchen table.) Check out the list of celebrity chefs who failed to receive three Michelin stars.
Aren't ALL reviews subjective? Movie? book? restaurant? architecture? music? how was the party? How was your burger last night at MacKenzie's? Is she pretty?

And don't forget Urban spoon - similar to Yelp IMO.

Zagat is all written by diners too, just like Trip Advisor.

And if I recall correctly, décor and atmosphere are part of Zagat reviews as well.

Zagat I think you have to pay for and trip advisor is free! I don't necessarily want to buy a guide for one visit to a place. Thought I know you can subscribe monthly or so online. have had fairly good luck with trip advisor.

My mom and stepdad used Michelin 20 years ago , when he was still alive and they still traveled. It was a big book as I recall. never used it myself as your piece says kind of passé.

Zagat is good though. It's a total of 4 or 5 scores (areas of evaluation) for each place. The two of them met in law school as I recall and started to collate reviews just for their friends and that's how the guide got started.
former res

Cheshire, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2014

Chowhound is another one.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2014

former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Aren't ALL reviews subjective? Movie? book? restaurant? architecture? music? how was the party? How was your burger last night at MacKenzie's? Is she pretty?
And don't forget Urban spoon - similar to Yelp IMO.
Zagat is all written by diners too, just like Trip Advisor.
And if I recall correctly, décor and atmosphere are part of Zagat reviews as well.
Zagat I think you have to pay for and trip advisor is free! I don't necessarily want to buy a guide for one visit to a place. Thought I know you can subscribe monthly or so online. have had fairly good luck with trip advisor.
My mom and stepdad used Michelin 20 years ago , when he was still alive and they still traveled. It was a big book as I recall. never used it myself as your piece says kind of passé.
Zagat is good though. It's a total of 4 or 5 scores (areas of evaluation) for each place. The two of them met in law school as I recall and started to collate reviews just for their friends and that's how the guide got started.
forgot about Urban spoon. Used them too

What I dont like about trip advisor is that there is no attempt to rank. Its just comments. Which is fine. And dont get me wrong, I have used the site plenty of times - mainly for lodging. But what I found is that all it really is is opinion, and rarely is there a discernible trend. There are always those that love the place, and those who had a bad experience. Zagats is more methodical, even if it is subjective.

Obviously the point about Michellin is that Mr Pansy claims that ambience, etc is important but yet his pet guide does not even consider tit.
former res

Cheshire, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2014

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
My relatives who did make the trip enjoyed the food very much. Though most of the time they had no clue what the food was nor did they want to know.
Bottom line is that China is huge country, and it is impossible to typify the food.
Though dog may be universal?:)

Absolutely.

Same thing with the language and I'm sure other aspects of the culture as well.

I always know to look for [Szechuan cuisine, Sichuan cuisine, or Szechwan cuisine ] type food when I'm looking for the spicy stuff at a Chinese restaurant.
former res

Cheshire, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2014

Cult of Reason wrote:
And this is why you give an inch, they take a mile...
These people are not just religious nuts, they are at least borderline retarded!

Just as with China, this is a big country (with different cultures) and there are areas where know I wouldn't want to live due to the thinking; politics; religious control "stand your ground" BS...and so on.

Much of the south, probably most of Utah. Texas, FL etc. The bible belt etc. Give me Vermont, Colorado...places where gays can smoke weed and marry!:))
former res

Cheshire, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2014

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
forgot about Urban spoon. Used them too
What I dont like about trip advisor is that there is no attempt to rank. Its just comments. Which is fine. And dont get me wrong, I have used the site plenty of times - mainly for lodging. But what I found is that all it really is is opinion, and rarely is there a discernible trend. There are always those that love the place, and those who had a bad experience. Zagats is more methodical, even if it is subjective.
Obviously the point about Michellin is that Mr Pansy claims that ambience, etc is important but yet his pet guide does not even consider tit.
Trip Advisor absolutely does rank restaurants, hotels, sights/attractions etc. I use it all the time and find it very useful for just about everything.

Look at the restaurant reviews for Stamford - 1 through 384.

Went to the 19 Hole a while back and wasn't too impressed but really enjoyed Pellicci's. The rankings kind of reflected my own experience.

Plant to return to Pellici's son. sp?

ps...I think wounded or wore down Joel.

Either that or he's in the corner molting.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2014

former res wrote:
<quoted text>
These people are not just religious nuts, they are at least borderline retarded!
Just as with China, this is a big country (with different cultures) and there are areas where know I wouldn't want to live due to the thinking; politics; religious control "stand your ground" BS...and so on.
Much of the south, probably most of Utah. Texas, FL etc. The bible belt etc. Give me Vermont, Colorado...places where gays can smoke weed and marry!:))
Unfortunately, this stuff happens here in the Northest as well. Here was a famous one that happened in RI recently:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jessica_Ahlquist
former res

Cheshire, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2014

STEFANO COLONNA wrote:
<quoted text>
.....The real question is why this lunatic idiot [Joel] is always wearing someone else's skin?
One of the best posts ever.

This is why I picture Joel in the corner quietly molting.
former res

Cheshire, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2014

Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
Unfortunately, this stuff happens here in the Northest as well. Here was a famous one that happened in RI recently:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jessica_Ahlquist
It really sxcks that she had to be on the receiving end of all the wrath.

Ignorance and fear (and hate) all seem to walk hand in hand.

This is the kind of thing Palin was selling during that election "palling around with terrorists"/Rev Wright comments/he's not one of us/ he's not American.

First make the people stupid (thank you Fox News); then put some fear into them (again Fox); then make sure you stir in some hatred. It will naturally follow anyway after they're stupid and scared.

This girl sues based on the law, and wins. But she's viewed as "other" or different because she doesn't share their views on religion. She's clearly a threat.

Did you happen to catch Bill Maher this weekend?

More pointed than usual - re the new movie about Noah's Ark.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/bill-maher-absolut...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2014

former res wrote:
<quoted text>
This is the kind of thing Palin was selling during that election "palling around with terrorists"/Rev Wright comments/he's not one of us/ he's not American.
First make the people stupid (thank you Fox News); then put some fear into them (again Fox); then make sure you stir in some hatred. It will naturally follow anyway after they're stupid and scared.
This girl sues based on the law, and wins. But she's viewed as "other" or different because she doesn't share their views on religion. She's clearly a threat.
I'm sure she'll do fine. She's a resilient individual and very mature for her age. Look up some interviews of her if you get a chance.

And is this really much different from American Atheists being made to look like uncaring idiots for doing basically the same thing re the 911 cross?

Bill Mahr - very funny and spot on for those that take the bible literally.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2014

former res wrote:
<quoted text>
BTW- in an act of marketing genius, you can now buy t-shirts with the motto "Evil Little Thing"
former res

Cheshire, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2014

Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
BTW- in an act of marketing genius, you can now buy t-shirts with the motto "Evil Little Thing"
Just the kind of girl I always looked for in my younger days!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

81 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min USAsince1680 1,079,942
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 18 min truth 48,910
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 20 min Learn to Read 174,626
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 22 min RACE 97,536
Abby July 25, 2014 48 min edogxxx 7
Voice of God Weapon 1 hr Psychopaths 4
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr Mothra 45,794
Amy 7-24 2 hr Mister Tonka 24
Abby 7-24 15 hr Pippa 42
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000