Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

There are 71939 comments on the Newsday story from Jun 21, 2008, titled Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel. In it, Newsday reports that:

Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

#69499 Mar 16, 2014
COR - THE CRASS IDIOT

Refined human qualities are missing on this forum.

Take a look at COR (Cult of Reason).

COR is an atheist which is great but one look at his shriveled personality that's devoid of sympathy, compassion and kindness and any averagely moral person will flee from him.

Besides, COR seriously lacks intelligence.

COR comes across as riff raff in most online debates that he often indulges using poor logic and an impoverished vocabulary of the English language.

A poster like COR is not human but more a hard-hearted barbarian.

Many atheists, once they free themselves from religious superstition, become cruel, unsympathetic and immoral.

I have turned atheist but I hope never to condescend to the pathetic level of a crass idiot like COR.

Location hidden

#69500 Mar 16, 2014
LIAM is a better human being than trash like COR.

Location hidden

#69501 Mar 16, 2014
typo

COR comes across as riff raff in most online debates that he often indulges IN using poor logic and an impoverished vocabulary of the English language.

Location hidden

#69502 Mar 16, 2014
A sub-human type like COR is unfit to polish my shoes - a filthy, cruel, brainless creep that he is.

Location hidden

#69503 Mar 16, 2014
Hugh is at least humane.

Location hidden

#69504 Mar 16, 2014
I am going to the Sea Lounge in the Taj. Bye.

Since: Oct 13

Lexington, KY

#69505 Mar 16, 2014
New Testament Bible Verses that Relate to Money

Jesus answered,“It is written:‘Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.’”(Matthew 4:4 NIV)

“Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.(Matthew 6:19-21 NIV)

“No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money.(Matthew 6:24 NIV)

The Rich Young Man Mt. 19:16-30

They sent their disciples to him along with the Herodians.“Teacher,” they said,“we know you are a man of integrity and that you teach the way of God in accordance with the truth. You aren’t swayed by men, because you pay no attention to who they are. Tell us then, what is your opinion? Is it right to pay taxes to Caesar or not?” But Jesus, knowing their evil intent, said,“You hypocrites, why are you trying to trap me? Show me the coin used for paying the tax.” They brought him a denarius, and he asked them,“Whose portrait is this? And whose inscription?”“Caesar’s,” they replied. Then he said to them,“Give to Caesar what is Caesar’s, and to God what is God’s.” When they heard this, they were amazed. So they left him and went away.(Matthew 22:16-22 NIV)

Parable of the Talents – Matthew 25:14 NIV

“Then the righteous will answer him,‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’“The King will reply,‘I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.’(Matthew 25:37-40 NIV)

When the disciples saw this, they were indignant.“Why this waste?” they asked.“This perfume could have been sold at a high price and the money given to the poor.” Aware of this, Jesus said to them,“Why are you bothering this woman? She has done a beautiful thing to me. The poor you will always have with you, but you will not always have me. When she poured this perfume on my body, she did it to prepare me for burial. I tell you the truth, wherever this gospel is preached throughout the world, what she has done will also be told, in memory of her.”(Matthew 26:8-13 NIV

The Rich Young Man Mark 10:17ff

On reaching Jerusalem, Jesus entered the temple area and began driving out those who were buying and selling there. He overturned the tables of the money changers and the benches of those selling doves, and would not allow anyone to carry merchandise through the temple courts. And as he taught them, he said,“Is it not written:“‘My house will be called a house of prayer for all nations’? But you have made it ‘a den of robbers.’”(Mark 11:15-17 NIV)

Paying Taxes to Caesar Mark 12:13

“But woe to you who are rich, for you have already received your comfort. Woe to you who are well fed now, for you will go hungry. Woe to you who laugh now, for you will mourn and weep.(Luke 6:24-25 NIV)

And if you lend to those from whom you expect repayment, what credit is that to you? Even ‘sinners’ lend to ‘sinners,’ expecting to be repaid in full. But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.(Luke 6:34-36 NIV)

Read more: http://moneyhelpforchristians.com/70-new-test...
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution Non-Commercial Share Alik
former res

Cheshire, CT

#69506 Mar 16, 2014
JOEL COOL DUDE wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for your kindness.
I hope both of us atheists can now carry our friendship to new heights in the spirit of free thinking that's based on unbiased inquiry, reason, evidence and humanism.
Friendship and the rest are fine, as far as it goes.

As long as you know this doesn't mean we'll be taking long, hot showers together.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#69507 Mar 16, 2014
Rick Moss wrote:
<quoted text>
I missed the part of the story where they were building a publicly funded church in the 911 museum. Of course, there are quite a few publicly funded places of worship in the US -- at least one on every major military post. Many in public hospitals. Others are just historical sites that receive public renovation funds (the Old North Church in Massachusetts for example).
American battlefields like Pearl Harbour and Gettysburg receive public funding and have crosses on them. I don't think it's too much of a stretch to call the site of the WTC an American battlefield.
The issue is not of having a cross on publicly funded locations. It's that once you do that, you must provide equal opportunity to all.

Public "chapels" are intended for multi-denominational use (including secular use by atheists/humanists), so no preference being shown there. Thus, not an issue.

Location hidden

#69508 Mar 16, 2014
Rick Moss wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. But what is an "atheist shrine"? A golden idol of the flying spaghetti monster? A huge alabaster question mark?
It sounds a bit oxymoronic.
How about a plaque acknowledging that atheists died there too, not just Xtians. For f$&k sakes, even Arlington cemetery allows atheist symbols on headstones.

Location hidden

#69509 Mar 16, 2014
Rick Moss wrote:
<quoted text>
All religious iconography is symbolic -- some more so than others. I don't find a cross any more or less offensive as the yin yang, the karmic wheel, a swastika (the original one) or the golden arches.
Atheism, at it's core, is a desire not to be included in the world of religion or faith-based ideologies and that is a great thing. An ideology based on no preconceptions would be a great thing. That is why I find it so ironic that a radical atheist's response to religious culture is either "I don't have something so you can't have something" or "if you have something I want to have it too". At best it's ironic, at worst it's petulant and childish.
I don't believe that the inclusion of religious iconography is a publicly funded museum constitutes either making a law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof. I also believe that attempting to erase any hint of religious culture from any public institution is reductio ad absurdum of the First Amendment.
Some much wrong in this post, too little time to respond to it all now. Maybe later.

I would note, however, that the courts generally tend to disagree with your last point.

Location hidden

#69510 Mar 16, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>

As long as you know this doesn't mean we'll be taking long, hot showers together.
What nonsense is this!

Such thoughts never cross my mind.

I would like to sit and chat with you, work on projects in science or in areas of common interests with you, have dinner with you, take a walk with you, work out in the gym with you and have you soothe me by patting my head in an avuncular way in times of great distress knowing what my history is.

Location hidden

#69511 Mar 16, 2014
I knew that the dumb rat COR would soon surface after reading my posts attacking his character. He's always lurking in the background. Some half-baked scientist he is with so much of free time on his hands to indulge in endless debates where most of his points are illogical and the few that come across as right are based on ordinary school boy reasoning. Idiot. LOL.

Location hidden

#69512 Mar 16, 2014
I responded to Rick's posts before reading all of Frijoles' responses. He made all the points I would have made in far more detail. Typing on an iphone is not conducive to a proper, lengthy reply.

Location hidden

#69513 Mar 16, 2014
LIAM looks for natural causes in everything but he once remarked that he believes in "spirit". I wonder what he means by the term "spirit".

Location hidden

#69514 Mar 16, 2014
As an atheist, I wonder how I should employ the laws of science to evaluate cherished human values like sincerity, love, compassion or morality or a fundamental constitutional right.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#69515 Mar 16, 2014
JOEL COOL DUDE wrote:
<quoted text>
What nonsense is this!
Such thoughts never cross my mind.
I would like to sit and chat with you, work on projects in science or in areas of common interests with you, have dinner with you, take a walk with you, work out in the gym with you and have you soothe me by patting my head in an avuncular way in times of great distress knowing what my history is.
Well...some of that sounds a little gay. Our showers after working out at the gym would be separate, correct? His and his?

But of course I'm always up for a bit of chat, dinner and a walk! And I will even pat you on the head, esp if you pick up the dinner check! Chicken Tikka Masala is a favorite Indian dish.

Location hidden

#69516 Mar 16, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>

Our showers after working out at the gym would be separate, correct? His and his?
Of course.

No question about that unless we're forced to shower together with me keeping my boxers on all throughout.

(smiles)

Location hidden

#69517 Mar 16, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>

But of course I'm always up for a bit of chat, dinner and a walk! And I will even pat you on the head, esp if you pick up the dinner check!
Good.

It would be my pleasure to pick up the check and mind you if I ever meet you I will take you to the best eating places since I prefer great style over sleaze and outstanding food over junk.

It's great to eat at Michelin star restaurants - my what verve and what innovation they bring into the food and the accent in these refined restaurants is on nouvelle.

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#69518 Mar 16, 2014
JOEL COOL DUDE wrote:
Money is the root of all evil.
If that is true then before the invention of money there was no evil. But this is false.

If money is the root of all evil, as you think, then what are the men who invented this?

For example, fever existed long before money and is not a good thing, so is famine.

Money is a thing, and as such cannot do/be good or evil by its will, so it all depends from the way people use it. The point lies on a relationship between men and money. At times this relation can give positive fruits and other time negative ones.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min John Galt 1,232,808
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 26 min Dale 189,874
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 31 min Mothra 53,517
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 43 min Michael Satterfield 99,542
News Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 2 hr James 51,766
News More Than 40 People Shot In Chicago Over Holida... 4 hr reality is a crutch 1
abby 5-25-15 4 hr mrs gladys kravitz 3
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]