Messianic Jews say they are persecute...

Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

There are 72042 comments on the Newsday story from Jun 21, 2008, titled Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel. In it, Newsday reports that:

Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

former res

Cheshire, CT

#69379 Mar 14, 2014
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
From their website:
"[Satanic Temple] seeks to separate Religion from Superstition by acknowledging religious belief as a metaphorical framework with which we construct a narrative context for our goals and works... Satan stands as the ultimate icon for the selfless revolt against tyranny, free & rational inquiry, and the responsible pursuit of happiness"
<quoted text>
I think that was the point. Slippery slope in action...
Interesting. It seems that Satan has undergone a bit of evolution over the years; from not so bad to evil and now to these folks, "virtuous." Who knew? Not me:

Satan (Hebrew: &#1513;&#1464;&#14 68;&#1474;&#1496;& #1464;&#1503; satan, "adversary,"[1]) is a term, later a character appearing in the texts of the Abrahamic religions[2][3] who personifies evil and temptation, and is known as the deceiver that leads humanity astray. The term is often applied to an angel who fell out of favor with God, seducing humanity into the ways of sin, and who now rules over the fallen world.

Satan is primarily understood as an "accuser" or "adversary" in the Hebrew Bible, and is not necessarily the personification of evil that he would become in later Abrahamic religions. In the New Testament, Satan is a name that refers to a decidedly malevolent entity (devil) who possesses demonic god-like qualities. In Theistic Satanism, Satan is considered a positive force and deity who is either worshipped or revered. In LaVeyan Satanism, Satan is regarded as holding virtuous characteristics.[4][5]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satan

JOEL COOL DUDE

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

#69380 Mar 14, 2014
Dunces have neither heard of Pi Day nor do they know the actual meaning of pi. No wonder FORMER became a menial nurse. LOL.

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#69381 Mar 14, 2014
JOEL COOL DUDE wrote:
Why don't people here take objection to public displays of silly religious symbols like the MENORAH in secular democracies?
If you werent such an IDIOT, you would of noted that in the past I made the same argument. Either ban all or allow all.

But you get to be excused. Because you ARE an idiot.

Location hidden

#69382 Mar 14, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey! I was a little slow on the uptake, until I saw this:
Really! It’s official. The date March 14 (that is, 3/14) was designated Pi Day by House Resolution 224 of the first session of the 111th Congress of the United States. It begins “Whereas the Greek letter (Pi) is the symbol for the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter,” and is followed by 11 more whereases before it resolves to support the designation of “Pi Day” to encourage “schools and educators to observe the day with appropriate activities that teach students about Pi and engage them about the study of mathematics.”
http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_scie...
I missed it too until I filled out a deposit slip at the bank this morning....

JOEL COOL DUDE

Location hidden

#69383 Mar 14, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>

If you werent such an IDIOT, you would of noted that in the past I made the same argument. Either ban all or allow all.

But you get to be excused. Because you ARE an idiot.
Ok, Papa.

Location hidden

#69384 Mar 14, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting. It seems that Satan has undergone a bit of evolution over the years; from not so bad to evil and now to these folks, "virtuous." Who knew? Not me:
Satan (Hebrew: &#1513;&#1464;&#14 68;&#1474;&#1496;& #1464;&#1503; satan, "adversary,"[1]) is a term, later a character appearing in the texts of the Abrahamic religions[2][3] who personifies evil and temptation, and is known as the deceiver that leads humanity astray. The term is often applied to an angel who fell out of favor with God, seducing humanity into the ways of sin, and who now rules over the fallen world.
Satan is primarily understood as an "accuser" or "adversary" in the Hebrew Bible, and is not necessarily the personification of evil that he would become in later Abrahamic religions. In the New Testament, Satan is a name that refers to a decidedly malevolent entity (devil) who possesses demonic god-like qualities. In Theistic Satanism, Satan is considered a positive force and deity who is either worshipped or revered. In LaVeyan Satanism, Satan is regarded as holding virtuous characteristics.[4][5]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satan
Basically satan went from symbol of obstruction (Judaism) to a bad angel with limited powers (Judaism) to an actual force independent of God (Christianity).

In Judaism, often we refer to the "evil inclination", or the "evil urge", but I have never heard any Jew mention Satan as a external personification, except perhaps in some (but not all) translations of the Book of Job.

JOEL COOL DUDE

Location hidden

#69385 Mar 14, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>

If you werent such an IDIOT, you would of noted that in the past I made the same argument.
Don't scold me.

I didn't read your past comment advocating a ban on all religious symbols.

Don't yell at me, ok?

JOEL COOL DUDE

Location hidden

#69386 Mar 14, 2014
FRIJOLES won't know the actual meaning of pi......it's so simple. LOL.

Location hidden

#69387 Mar 14, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Truly amazing. We better watch our backs.
As in Planet of the Apes.
The cynic in me wonders if this was less cognitive and more following previous scents. The narrator says the bird was familiar with the objects, just not the order.

JOEL COOL DUDE

Location hidden

#69388 Mar 14, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>

I missed it too until I filled out a deposit slip at the bank this morning....
pi = 4A/d^2, where d =diameter of a circle

Is this the correct formula of pi? Why?

If you can't answer this simple question back to Grade 5.

Location hidden

#69389 Mar 14, 2014
JOEL COOL DUDE wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't scold me.
I didn't read your past comment advocating a ban on all religious symbols.
Don't yell at me, ok?
But you deserve it. You, like Hugh, have an ideological chip on your shoulder. We have had versions of this debate for years.

Location hidden

#69390 Mar 14, 2014
JOEL COOL DUDE wrote:
FRIJOLES won't know the actual meaning of pi......it's so simple. LOL.
I admit I was initially thrown off because the actual date is 12 Adar II 5774, which does not translate into anything as interesting.

JOEL COOL DUDE

Location hidden

#69391 Mar 14, 2014
Consciousness being activity of matter in various states of organization, it is not surprising to know that metal, tree, bird, animal and human being manifest a gradation of consciousness in ascending order - a fact demonstrated by Dr J C Bose in 1900.

JOEL COOL DUDE

Location hidden

#69392 Mar 14, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>

But you deserve it. You, like Hugh, have an ideological chip on your shoulder. We have had versions of this debate for years.
I am secular unlike you who's a dyed0in-the-wool fanatic.

The only difference between MUQ and you is that you've not justified acts of murder or of violence found in the Bible, otherwise, in many ways, you're as parochial as MUQ, the retard, in matters of faith.

Please grow out of religion - it pains me to see you sinking deeper in the morass of religion.

JOEL COOL DUDE

Location hidden

#69393 Mar 14, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>

Hey! I was a little slow on the uptake, until I saw this:

If you can't answer this simple question back to Grade 5, Mr Nurse.

Location hidden

#69394 Mar 14, 2014
JOEL COOL DUDE wrote:
<quoted text>
ask me if I care

and then get a life

Location hidden

#69395 Mar 14, 2014
or laid.

JOEL COOL DUDE

Location hidden

#69396 Mar 14, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>

I admit I was initially thrown off because the actual date is 12 Adar II 5774, which does not translate into anything as interesting.
Dear Dr Frijoles (PhD in a scientific discipline).

I'm the least concerned about the date of Pi day.

I am more interested to know if you understand the concept of pi?

Now, pi = 4A/d^2, where d =diameter of a circle

It doesn't matter.

End of discussion on Pi.

JOEL COOL DUDE

Location hidden

#69397 Mar 14, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>

ask me if I care
I know one thing - you care a lot about Hugh.

The attraction between both of you is palpable.

You can't live without Hugh nor can he live without you for obvious reasons.

Location hidden

#69398 Mar 14, 2014
JOEL COOL DUDE wrote:
<quoted text>
The attraction between both of you is palpable.
You really need to get laid. Virtual reality is not real.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min Mainstream Propag... 1,523,615
A few ITEMS of interest. 1 hr Jocularity is Best 2
Look at Minn. Maine & Michigan. 1 hr EAT PORK 18
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr Buster Steinbeizer 240,411
I think she is pissed. From a few years ago. 1 hr AlGoresLyingLockBoX 11
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 3 hr SweLL GirL 10,599
Scary Obituary 3 hr The Shadow Speaks 16

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages