Messianic Jews say they are persecute...

Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

There are 72037 comments on the Newsday story from Jun 21, 2008, titled Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel. In it, Newsday reports that:

Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#69315 Mar 13, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Is it anymore offensive then Nissan targeting Toyota drivers for conversion?
They already like Japanese cars so it's just one step away from Toy to Nissan.
With all due respect, of which respect is due, that is a piss poor example to compare.

Remember Saturns? I was even invited to their BBQ once. Did not go.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#69316 Mar 13, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
I have one. Hopefully my accountant was awake enough to notice. Taxes have been filed.
Check it out. You can always file an amendment if he overlooked it.

Location hidden

#69317 Mar 13, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Rich people sht the same way as us poor people. Except we have to live with the stink.
I know better than most. The main pipe that comes in from Darien runs under my street. Two or three years back, that pipe collapsed, causing the raw sewage to spill onto my street and then into the Sound. The shutoff valve on the Darien side was inoperable. Took them a couple of days to turn it off, and then another few weeks to repair the pipe. They had to use temporary above-ground bypass piping. The head of the WPCA "retired" shortly after that. It also brought to light the bad state of affairs, not only of the infrastructure, but of the agency tasked to maintain it.

Location hidden

#69318 Mar 13, 2014
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you know where on the form the deduction would be?

Location hidden

#69319 Mar 13, 2014
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
I found it! CHET Line 50 and then line 4. It appears my acountant missed it.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#69320 Mar 13, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
The days of me doing my own taxes are long gone. Too many complications - investments, business,depreciation schedules, etc etc. And turbo wont represent you when you get a letter from the IRS, as a friend of mine got - it was an accident on behalf of the IRS but still took time to resolve.
I had all that - self-employment, RE business (with deprecation etc) and so on. A bit simpler now but still.

Never been audited. Knock on wood.

Bottom line is you prefer to outsource it and that's cool too.

My 85 year old father in law (farm, investments, stocks etc) still does it with pencil and paper. Harder and harder to track down the actual paper forms for the old school among us.

I have another uncle - almost 80 - well off - and won't even use a calculator. He does all is math long hand.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#69321 Mar 13, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
The other day I heard a story (will not even speculate if it was true) of hospital demolition waste from out of state being delivered as fill on a private residence here in CT. So it goes both ways.
How the mighty have fallen.

Living in CT used to mean something.

Of course that was also before they had broad-based income tax too!
former res

Cheshire, CT

#69322 Mar 13, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
With all due respect, of which respect is due, that is a piss poor example to compare.
Remember Saturns? I was even invited to their BBQ once. Did not go.
What you're saying is religion is somehow off limits. Sacred?

I never liked Saturns. GM was always crappy enough without going to their lower product line. Like Geos, same thing.

Though my first new car was a Prizm (Chevy Prizm, after the Geo name had gone away). But it was really a Corolla under the badge. Same assembly line. The Chevy was closer to where I lived than the Toy dealer.

My 2nd new car was a Camry.'06 still driving it. I have a friend who's 62 and never bought a new car in his life. I was proud for only have bought 2. Don't like car payments.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#69323 Mar 13, 2014
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
I know better than most. The main pipe that comes in from Darien runs under my street. Two or three years back, that pipe collapsed, causing the raw sewage to spill onto my street and then into the Sound. The shutoff valve on the Darien side was inoperable. Took them a couple of days to turn it off, and then another few weeks to repair the pipe. They had to use temporary above-ground bypass piping. The head of the WPCA "retired" shortly after that. It also brought to light the bad state of affairs, not only of the infrastructure, but of the agency tasked to maintain it.
Lovely!

And they wondered what happened to the lobsters.

The other theory being fertilizer/chemical run-off. Don't think they ever concluded for sure what killed them off.

Guess they're making a bit of come back....
former res

Cheshire, CT

#69324 Mar 13, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text> I found it! CHET Line 50 and then line 4. It appears my acountant missed it.
YOU wouldn't have missed it.

Once you gather all the forms and information, you've done
most of the work.

Just a matter of filling in the numbers as prompted.(Use last year's as the template if you need it..)

Ok I'll stop preaching now. Promise!

Location hidden

#69325 Mar 13, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
YOU wouldn't have missed it.
Once you gather all the forms and information, you've done
most of the work.
Just a matter of filling in the numbers as prompted.(Use last year's as the template if you need it..)
Ok I'll stop preaching now. Promise!
There is even a business version of Quicken and TurboTax.

Frijoles, if you are so inclined, one option is to run a test - stick with the accountant next year, but in parallel, run TurboTax on your own, then compare the two returns side-by-side. This will give you an idea of how easy/difficult it would be for you to do it on your own, without taking any risks. Also,for a small fee, TurboTax does offer the option of representing you should you get audited. It's one of the questions they ask.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#69326 Mar 13, 2014
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
There is even a business version of Quicken and TurboTax.
Frijoles, if you are so inclined, one option is to run a test - stick with the accountant next year, but in parallel, run TurboTax on your own, then compare the two returns side-by-side. This will give you an idea of how easy/difficult it would be for you to do it on your own, without taking any risks. Also,for a small fee, TurboTax does offer the option of representing you should you get audited. It's one of the questions they ask.
That's kind of how I found out I could do it.

We had paid a guy 25 years ago, and one day, I got of the shower, still dripping wet and sat down at my desk (on a towel!) and tried to replicate what I just paid for and did it in a few minutes. In fairness, that was before self employment, RE business, investments etc.(The guy we paid had used TuboTax even back in 87-88 or so.) I get TurboTax through my mutual fund company's website and it pre-populates all the numbers. Also at a steep discount.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#69327 Mar 13, 2014
Not sure I would choose this particular battle, What say you, CoR?:

When they were discovered at the Ground Zero site shortly after the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks, the steel beams forming the shape of a cross were regarded by many as a divine sign and they quickly became a rallying symbol for many aid and rescue workers in lower Manhattan.

In recent days, a media debate has formed over whether the beams, dubbed the "Miracle Cross," deserve a place at the 9/11 museum in New York. The debate follows a lawsuit brought by a group of atheists arguing that the cross doesn't belong in a museum that will be operated using both private and public funding.

American Atheists, a New Jersey organization that has dedicated itself to the separation of state and religion, opposes the inclusion of the steel cross at the National September 11 Memorial & Museum. A previous lawsuit by the group was rejected last year and it is now appealing the decision in federal court......

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/arts/cul...

JOEL COOL DUDE

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

#69330 Mar 13, 2014
Meanwhile, arranged marriages are making a comeback in Japan.

Location hidden

#69331 Mar 13, 2014
former res wrote:
Not sure I would choose this particular battle, What say you, CoR?:
When they were discovered at the Ground Zero site shortly after the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks, the steel beams forming the shape of a cross were regarded by many as a divine sign and they quickly became a rallying symbol for many aid and rescue workers in lower Manhattan.
In recent days, a media debate has formed over whether the beams, dubbed the "Miracle Cross," deserve a place at the 9/11 museum in New York. The debate follows a lawsuit brought by a group of atheists arguing that the cross doesn't belong in a museum that will be operated using both private and public funding.
American Atheists, a New Jersey organization that has dedicated itself to the separation of state and religion, opposes the inclusion of the steel cross at the National September 11 Memorial & Museum. A previous lawsuit by the group was rejected last year and it is now appealing the decision in federal court......
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/arts/cul...
It's a good question and sort of a catch-22. If your against the cross, you come across looking like a jerk. If you're for it, then what next?

American Atheist is, if nothing else, consistent. The main impetus of their argument is separation of church and state. We should all be for that (atheist or believer). The argument is that once you start making exceptions, you are setting a precedent that you know will be taken advantage of at some point in the future.(Case in point - Ten Commandments in court houses, Nativity scenes on town hall lawns, prayers to open local government meetings, etc, etc, etc...)

I happen to take a very black and white approach to this problem. If it's government funded, then you either have to allow displays from any and all faiths (and no faiths at all), or you don't allow any. Obviously, the second option is easier.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#69333 Mar 13, 2014
JOEL COOL DUDE wrote:
Meanwhile, arranged marriages are making a comeback in Japan.
And did you know the honey badger is an exceptionally clever, resourceful and formidable animal?

Location hidden

#69334 Mar 13, 2014
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
I remember hearing about that when it happened. And yes, WPCA doesnt have a stellar reputation.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#69335 Mar 13, 2014
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a good question and sort of a catch-22. If your against the cross, you come across looking like a jerk. If you're for it, then what next?
American Atheist is, if nothing else, consistent. The main impetus of their argument is separation of church and state. We should all be for that (atheist or believer). The argument is that once you start making exceptions, you are setting a precedent that you know will be taken advantage of at some point in the future.(Case in point - Ten Commandments in court houses, Nativity scenes on town hall lawns, prayers to open local government meetings, etc, etc, etc...)
I happen to take a very black and white approach to this problem. If it's government funded, then you either have to allow displays from any and all faiths (and no faiths at all), or you don't allow any. Obviously, the second option is easier.
I've always said I'm more pragmatic than idealistic, to a point that is.

But this does strike me as a PR nightmare for the chosen independent thinkers among us!:))

Though I respect their position.

I wouldn't for example fight to get "In god we trust" off the money.

I don't think it would ever happen and the pragmatist in me would say let it go.

I am against nativity scenes at town hall and the like.

Location hidden

#69336 Mar 13, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
I never liked Saturns. GM was always crappy enough without going to their lower product line. Like Geos, same thing.
Though my first new car was a Prizm (Chevy Prizm, after the Geo name had gone away). But it was really a Corolla under the badge. Same assembly line. The Chevy was closer to where I lived than the Toy dealer.
My 2nd new car was a Camry.'06 still driving it. I have a friend who's 62 and never bought a new car in his life. I was proud for only have bought 2. Don't like car payments.
I have only owned 3 new cars in my life, and probably a dozen or more used cars. However, I have always paid for the new cars in cash - also dont believe in payments.

Location hidden

#69337 Mar 13, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
What you're saying is religion is somehow off limits. Sacred?
Wars have been fought, and people have been slaughtered in the name of religious proselytizing (or what you call, marketing). Totally different history than the car industry. If Nissan had a history of persecuting others, I would advocate banning or at least limiting their outreach activities as well.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min Realtime 1,419,167
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 7 min Hill4me 222,521
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 21 min Sublime1 103,456
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 42 min Into The Night 61,044
last post wins! (Dec '10) 5 hr honeymylove 2,425
Four letter word game (Dec '11) 8 hr GEORGIA 1,938
Double Word Game (Dec '11) 8 hr GEORGIA 3,040

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages