Messianic Jews say they are persecute...

Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

There are 72043 comments on the Newsday story from Jun 21, 2008, titled Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel. In it, Newsday reports that:

Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

former res

Cheshire, CT

#69275 Mar 12, 2014
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
Stop Flocing with Joel. I mean that.
When he stops doing the same.

An eye for an eye and all that.

But it's cute that you're so protective of your special fella.

Cute couple. If clueless.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#69276 Mar 12, 2014
Rick Moss wrote:
How to tell if you're crazy. Tip 357
If you feel bad and you're convinced it's because of vampires, voodoo, electromagnetic subspace fields, astral projection, contrails or the vast right-wing conspiracy. Then you're crazy.
If you feel bad because you have a cold. Not crazy.
Reminds me of the old medical axiom, "If you hear hoof beats, think horses not zebras."

Of as it was put to me another way, "Look for an unusual presentation of a common disease rather than a common presentations of an uncommon disease."

And on the side, most fatigue is caused by depression.(Probably from not getting laid; going against nature etc.)

Just the opinion of one former clinician.

JOEL COOL DUDE

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

#69277 Mar 12, 2014
Money is the root of all evil. Having a lot of money is a burden and it is at times risky as it opens up many doors to confrontations with shady characters, including corrupt law enforcing officers, who keep trying to seek out any chink in the armour so that they can pounce and extract huge sums of money from the person. There's always a palpable undercurrent of tension when one has substantial material resources. Besides, wealth often brings in arrogance and an air of invincibility that can make one reckless.

JOEL COOL DUDE

Location hidden

#69278 Mar 12, 2014
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>

Expected i.e. with the exception of the reality part.
So, Professor of Science/CEO, what's your idea of reality?

Does it pertain to creation ex nihilo by an extra-cosmic G-d made up of some mystical substance, right?

Expected!

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#69279 Mar 12, 2014
JOEL COOL DUDE wrote:
Money is the root of all evil. Having a lot of money is a burden and it is at times risky as it opens up many doors to confrontations with shady characters, including corrupt law enforcing officers, who keep trying to seek out any chink in the armour so that they can pounce and extract huge sums of money from the person. There's always a palpable undercurrent of tension when one has substantial material resources. Besides, wealth often brings in arrogance and an air of invincibility that can make one reckless.
Do you still despise the middle class?

JOEL COOL DUDE

Location hidden

#69280 Mar 12, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>

Do you still despise the middle class?
I feel sorry for the middle class people since they're always working their butts off to make two ends meet and these days when inflation is soaring everywhere even a yearly income of say $ 200,000 that an average middle class household of 4 to 5 members in a typical Western nation would make is hardly sufficient to get through.

In poor nations, the middle class if worse off.

The rich have plenty of economic security as mentioned in my previous post but most are severely stressed out and are not happy, while the middle class is stressed out by working too hard to earn sufficient money and are always worrying about the present/future.

JOEL COOL DUDE

Location hidden

#69281 Mar 12, 2014
Being middle class has little advantage. It's a cruel rat race. Having substantial money is a win-win situation if one has the right attitude, humility, remains conflict free and stays away from sensual pleasures that're addictive and which on many occasions contribute to the ruin of many rich people.

Location hidden

#69282 Mar 12, 2014
So I guess you have changed your view. In the past you have not concealed your disgust for all things middle class. Now you are pitying them. Lets hope the humility you now embrace is permanent.

Location hidden

#69283 Mar 12, 2014
JOEL COOL DUDE wrote:
<quoted text>
I feel sorry for the middle class people since they're always working their butts off to make two ends meet and these days when inflation is soaring everywhere even a yearly income of say $ 200,000 that an average middle class household of 4 to 5 members in a typical Western nation would make is hardly sufficient to get through.
I live in an area of the US that consistently rates among the very top (if not THE top) in housing costs, taxes, and other expenses. Even here $200,000 is more than adequate to live comfortably middle class. The breakpoint is more somewhere around the 70-100k a year range, IMO.

“Here again in The Torah”

Since: Nov 13

Denver Colorado 80218

#69284 Mar 12, 2014
JOEL COOL DUDE wrote:
rabbee: neither money nor currency is the root of all evil. it is the errant misapplication of the mentality towards it, that is evil. it is the idea, that everyone else's money is yours. it is the democrat mentality, that everyone else's money should support your laziness. money or currency itself is not evil, it is people's desire to be evil that is the root of all evil and wickedness.

“Here again in The Torah”

Since: Nov 13

Denver Colorado 80218

#69285 Mar 12, 2014
no! i do not buy the precept, that evil is money or currencies fault.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#69286 Mar 12, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
I live in an area of the US that consistently rates among the very top (if not THE top) in housing costs, taxes, and other expenses. Even here $200,000 is more than adequate to live comfortably middle class. The breakpoint is more somewhere around the 70-100k a year range, IMO.
I was thinking the same thing.$200K would look pretty to good to well over 90% of us.

And many Americans would also kill to even be considered "middle class." Historically, the greatest income inequality has tended to precede economic downturns.

It's not good for anyone.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#69287 Mar 12, 2014
Filing Status: All Filers
Single
Married
Income:$200,000

Your percentile is: 94%
The next percentile begins at:$200,026

http://www.whatsmypercent.com/

JOEL COOL DUDE

Location hidden

#69288 Mar 12, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
So I guess you have changed your view. In the past you have not concealed your disgust for all things middle class. Now you are pitying them. Lets hope the humility you now embrace is permanent.
Ya Papa.

JOEL COOL DUDE

Location hidden

#69289 Mar 12, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>

Altamount Road, where I presently live, was ranked, some 2 or 3 years ago, the 10th most expensive street in the world.

I think $ 200,000 per year for a family of 4 or 5 members to get by. It's not much.

If $ 70k to 100 k per year is sufficient to break even in your so-called high profile locality in the US then who am I to question it?

JOEL COOL DUDE

Location hidden

#69290 Mar 12, 2014
typo

I think $ 200,000 per year IS OK for a family of 4 or 5 members to get by. It's not much.

Location hidden

#69291 Mar 12, 2014
JOEL COOL DUDE wrote:
<quoted text>
Altamount Road, where I presently live, was ranked, some 2 or 3 years ago, the 10th most expensive street in the world.
I think $ 200,000 per year for a family of 4 or 5 members to get by. It's not much.
If $ 70k to 100 k per year is sufficient to break even in your so-called high profile locality in the US then who am I to question it?
I didnt say my area was high profile. This isnt about status or wealth. I said it consistently tops the list as the most expensive places to live in the US, due to housing and taxes. Do you understand the difference?

Location hidden

#69292 Mar 12, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
I was thinking the same thing.$200K would look pretty to good to well over 90% of us.
And many Americans would also kill to even be considered "middle class." Historically, the greatest income inequality has tended to precede economic downturns.
I would imagine for the non coastal Fairfield County areas (i.e. your neck of the woods), even $60,000 would be more than comfortable.

Plenty of folks in my area live for a lot less than 60k. Not that I would enjoy that situation.

Location hidden

#69293 Mar 12, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
What I have observed of the folks in the wealthier zip codes over the border from me, is that even though their incomes are often in multiples of mine, they are also more likely to be cash poor due to mortgage payments, private schooling, car payments, etc etc.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#69294 Mar 12, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
I didnt say my area was high profile. This isnt about status or wealth. I said it consistently tops the list as the most expensive places to live in the US, due to housing and taxes. Do you understand the difference?
Along with some other sticker shocks moving from PA to CT (heating oil vs gas; gasoline; DMV; car insurance; RE taxes...) was the income tax.

In PA it's a flat 3.07% on everything. Here it goes up over 6%.
Just finished doing the taxes.

We still like it here. Not so much the sauna in the summer. But one pays for it a little over the winter. Rob Peter to pay Paul. Something nice about New England.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 9 min Obama who 1,497,385
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 11 min Dr Guru 237,343
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 38 min Go Blue Forever 104,990
Jonny's Towing is Chicagoland's Most Crooked Co... 1 hr Badd 18
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 2 hr Ize Found 71,376
Obama's a mooslim traitor! 2 hr Ushie Bobo 1
Comedy , theatre or rush street? 3 hr Cgeh 1

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages