Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

Full story: Newsday 71,553
Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family. Full Story
former res

Cheshire, CT

#67228 Feb 9, 2014
Rick Moss wrote:
<quoted text>
Comic Con San Diego (the original, not the clone Cons) is in last week of July this year. My daughter and I go every year for the past few years-- it is the Geek Haj. In the past couple of years tickets are getting harder and harder to get and while it used to be almost a certainty you could get tickets if you attended in the previous year, that is no longer the case. Many of last years attendees complained about not being able to get tickets this year -- even for single days.
So, my daughter and I get some friends and we all try to get online together and the first one in buys the tickets. This year, it was my daughter who got in first (at 4AM Australia Time).
Because I love working with models and electronics, We typically do costumes on one of the days. Last year I made a working laser pistol and communicator from the "Star Trek" pilot (in the pilot they didn't have the phaser or black communicator) for a Christopher Pike (Jefferey Hunter) costume. It involved making a wood/foam model, making a mold of that from silicone, casting in polyurethane and acrylic then adding the metal bits I made with a mini lathe and the electronics -- laser diodes and sound modules. This year I'm working on a talking Tom Servo for a Joel MST3K costume.
I heard Mr. Nimoy was doing "OK" -- his words -- and we can take heart in the knowledge that Vulcans live an average of 200 years. Spock isn't even middle-aged yet.
Sounds like you have the spirit and will have a great time yet again.

Only been to San Diego once - Hotel Del/Coronado - probably the best all around weather in the continental US. Fairly mild all the time .. Not to mention a very good zoo.

That's exactly how they tried to get the tix on "Big Bang" show. They were all in a circle online clicking away madly -"Refresh! Refresh!" James Earl saved the day.

I guess someone snapped a pic of Nimoy on oxygen in a wheel chair and that's why he posted the statement, said he just couldn't walk long distances anymore. But good to know he has longevity in his species!

Congrats on getting the tix. No easy feat these days. No doubt you'll have a great time.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#67229 Feb 9, 2014
JOEL COOL DUDE wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice.
I am a teetotaler.
Why? health reasons?

Do you smoke anything?

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

#67230 Feb 9, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>

There is a strain of nonduality within Islam as well. Sufism.
Really?

Sufism does not recognize Allah as the Lord Almighty Creator God of the universe.

Sufism recognizes the Absolute (self) beyond the Personal God (Allah) as the highest reality.

So, this is "shirk" and punishable with death under sharia.

Thus, Sufism is not a part of Islam and is not even a heterodox sect of Islam.

Sufism is pure and simple Eastern Mysticism that has much in common with Vedanta.

While the individual self of Sufism is the consciousness in the field corresponding to the heart center, Vedanta goes beyond.

Location hidden

#67231 Feb 9, 2014
STEFANO COLONNA wrote:
<quoted text>

Make a little more effort and change the 4th with something else...

As expected you didn't know this as well.
Usually, champagne is served in any of these wine glasses:

1) Champagne Tulip

2) Champagne Flute

3) Champagne Saucer

4) AP wine glass

Why, what's wrong with the 4th wine glass?

I've seen sommeliers serve champagne at times in an AP wine glass.

Location hidden

#67232 Feb 9, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>

Why? health reasons?

Do you smoke anything?
I don't like the smell of alcohol and at times my nerves shiver and I get a headache if I get the whiff of an alcoholic drink. This hyper sensitivity of nerves is brought on by the yogic experiences. The hyper sensitivity of my nervous system usually is at a peak during and after a yogic experience when a higher frequency brain state with its concomitant degree of consciousness begins vibrating my system and descends down the spine with its attendant signs of heat, light radiating from the body, internal sound, opening up of the optic and olfactory and auditory nerves and the like...

I don't smoke.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#67233 Feb 9, 2014
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
No more than any other position.
While arriving at the atheist position (particularly when one is coming from the polar opposite position), does require some thinking and introspection, once that position has been achieved, there really isn't much "active" disbelieving going on. Like Former said, I spend no more time actively disbelieving in a god than I do in actively disbelieving in the Easter Bunny.
<quoted text>
No time, unless you're so inclined to reexamine your position periodically - which is not necessarily required.
There are no time constraints on labels. You either believe or you don't (or you haven't made up your mind yet). The time one spends thinking about their position it is a personal matter. Perhaps one could argue that if you are spending an extreme amount of time thinking about it, then perhaps you haven't selected a position yet, which is perfectly fine as well.
<quoted text>
Pet peeve alert. The word "militant" is often thrown about in a derogatory fashion by people uncomfortable with those attempting to change the status quo - militant atheists, militant feminists, militant gays. Every group has a subset of vocal participants whom I prefer to refer to as activists. I can assure you, for every activist atheist, there are hundreds of atheists that belong to the silent majority. Outside of this forum, my atheism comes up extremely rarely, and when it does, it's not initiated by me.
<quoted text>
I'm no more obsessed with God than I am with the Easter Bunny. What I do concern myself with is the effects that a belief in a god does have - particularly when it affects others.
<quoted text>
No one is forcing the atheist label on you (at least I don't think so). Only you know what your thinking or what you believe, and how strong those beliefs are. In the same respect, don't assume everyone who does prefer to use a label such as atheist is necessarily of the activist variety.
Very well said.

And I've backed off calling Frijoles an atheist.

He should be able to call himself what he wants to.

As should we all.

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#67234 Feb 9, 2014
STEFANO COLONNA wrote:
<quoted text>
What kind of diseases do you expect from India.
Changing the issue, one of the ten commandments is 'remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Christians understand it as a mandatory to go to church and pray god. Though many of them prefer to sleep, rather than going to church What's the Jewish perspective about it? I know you shouldn't work, but is it a mandatory to go to the sinagogue on Sabbath?
There is no requirement to go to synagogue per se. There is a mitzvah to pray 3 times a day, on any day, and a custom to do it in a group of at least 10. Logically, a synagogue is the best place to go to meet 10 people, especially since Saturday is distinguished by a special litturgy than on the week days.

Location hidden

#67235 Feb 9, 2014
JOEL COOL DUDE wrote:
<quoted text>
Really?
Sufism does not recognize Allah as the Lord Almighty Creator God of the universe.
Sufism recognizes the Absolute (self) beyond the Personal God (Allah) as the highest reality.
So, this is "shirk" and punishable with death under sharia.
Thus, Sufism is not a part of Islam and is not even a heterodox sect of Islam.
Sufism is pure and simple Eastern Mysticism that has much in common with Vedanta.
While the individual self of Sufism is the consciousness in the field corresponding to the heart center, Vedanta goes beyond.
Better tell that to the Sufi Muslims, not me.

And wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sufism

".....Sufism (or ta&#7779;awwuf; Arabic: &#1575;&#1604;&#15 89;&#1608;&#1601;& #1610;&#1577;&#8206;) is a branch of Islam,[

Location hidden

#67236 Feb 9, 2014
I have to cook dinner. Today, being Sunday, the servants did not show up.

Location hidden

#67237 Feb 9, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow! If you had just said so earlier.
So you would sign the following statement:
I, Frijoles, do not believe in god. I believe the existence of which is unknown and unknowable. For this reason, I take no position as to whether or not god exists.
(I believe this is what you've agreed to above.)
Your practice does sound like a whole lot thinking/cognition. But I do "think" that I understand the different types - right brain vs left etc.
I think I already stated it. I dont believe in the God you dont believe in.

And its no more unknowable than you.

Location hidden

#67238 Feb 9, 2014
JOEL COOL DUDE wrote:
<quoted text>
The two concepts are neither similar nor the same.
You're seriously mistaken.
Considering you have yet to understand normative Judaism,. why would you waste you time bungling explanations of Hasidic thought?
former res

Cheshire, CT

#67239 Feb 9, 2014
JOEL COOL DUDE wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't like the smell of alcohol and at times my nerves shiver and I get a headache if I get the whiff of an alcoholic drink. This hyper sensitivity of nerves is brought on by the yogic experiences. The hyper sensitivity of my nervous system usually is at a peak during and after a yogic experience when a higher frequency brain state with its concomitant degree of consciousness begins vibrating my system and descends down the spine with its attendant signs of heat, light radiating from the body, internal sound, opening up of the optic and olfactory and auditory nerves and the like...
I don't smoke.
Another path would be to give up yoga and just enjoy a nice cold Indian beer instead.

Kingfisher is a good Indian beer.

Indian is my wife's favorite "ethnic" food. I like it but probably like Mexican and Italian a little more.

Chicken tikka masala is a very good dish IMHO..

I realize that if you give up yoga, you will no longer be able to cure cancer but that's the price to enjoy a nice cold beer on a hot Indian day.

Do I sound smart yet?

:))

Location hidden

#67240 Feb 9, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Dovetailing on my last post, I'd like to know what percent of Jews you think would describe themselves as agnostic?
My gut tells me it's not as high as you will say.
Clearly you're in a better place to know but OTOH I think you may be biased due to your own beliefs or lack thereof.
I do know there are many Christians and Catholics who march to their own drummer.
What % for Catholics the same question? I have no idea.
Many of them may be theist/agnostics "I think there is a god, but I don't claim to know either way." My question to them would be "Why do you even THINK there is god?!!"
A traditional Jew would dodge the question (or they SHOULD dodge the question) with the same speech of deeds over thought.

But in reality, its a very high percentage, mainly because the theology is compatible with agnosticism. Its when you venture into atheism with a preconceived conclusion that you run into trouble with the theology. But to QUESTION God (agnostic position) with an open mind is a very traditional Jewish behavior.

As for as what the Torah represents - different denominations have different views, and adherents themselves also differ within the denominations, from every letter of Torah was spoken from God to Moses, to Torah was given to Moses who wrote it down, to Torah was Moses and Hebrews best attempt to replicate in writing their religious experience of God, to etc etc
former res

Cheshire, CT

#67241 Feb 9, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
I think I already stated it. I dont believe in the God you dont believe in.
And its no more unknowable than you.
So you can't agree with the statement I put forth?

Specifically why?

You and I can meet for a beer this weekend at Mackenzie's.

You know that.

And you put the question of my existence the same as god's?

Color me confused.

Location hidden

#67243 Feb 9, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>

Considering you have yet to understand normative Judaism,. why would you waste you time bungling explanations of Hasidim thought?
Your understanding of nondualism is wrong and you made a wild statement like Zen and Hasidim are similar or the same which is misleading.

You know nothing.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#67244 Feb 9, 2014
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
And the bizarre rant continues.
Go educate yourself on what the 'x' represents, foolish xtian.
COR---Tell me, Hugh, what is a Labarum. Which letterS does it consist of?

HughBe--- Please be kind and tell me the labarum LETTERS in your words (xtian and xtianity).

Cunti---Go educate yourself on what the 'x' represents, foolish xtian.

HughBe---Thank you for telling me the labarum letterS i.e. "x'. Indeed, when I was in primary school my teachers would tell me that people at your level would see ALL the letters in "x".
In addition, your answer is in keeping with what I expect from someone who is regarded as being BRIGHT in your state.

Now before I move on to your lesson for the day please do as you were instructed to do i.e. ask ANY Christian if they regard "xtianity" as DISRESPECTFUL etc and do the same to an atheists that is in her right mind.

Lesson for the day, Cunti.

Lesson: The labarum symbol that you are talking about is virtually NOT known by the general membership of the over 30,000 Christian denominations. Let me explain it for you the simple, it means it is NOT a Christian symbol for them.

Location hidden

#67245 Feb 9, 2014
FORMER,

You're dumb but funny and lovable.

Location hidden

#67246 Feb 9, 2014
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
No more than any other position.
While arriving at the atheist position (particularly when one is coming from the polar opposite position), does require some thinking and introspection, once that position has been achieved, there really isn't much "active" disbelieving going on. Like Former said, I spend no more time actively disbelieving in a god than I do in actively disbelieving in the Easter Bunny.
<quoted text>
No time, unless you're so inclined to reexamine your position periodically - which is not necessarily required.
There are no time constraints on labels. You either believe or you don't (or you haven't made up your mind yet). The time one spends thinking about their position it is a personal matter. Perhaps one could argue that if you are spending an extreme amount of time thinking about it, then perhaps you haven't selected a position yet, which is perfectly fine as well.
You asked previously what "baggage" I thought atheism carried - i.e. how I saw it different than agnosticism.

My answer would be that atheists have their mind made up, while agnostics acknowledge that they are limited by normal cognition and therefore can not make their mind up (i.e. open mind either way).

Maybe I am being too simplistic, but it is open mind vs close mind.

<quoted text>
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>Pet peeve alert. The word "militant" is often thrown about in a derogatory fashion by people uncomfortable with those attempting to change the status quo - militant atheists, militant feminists, militant gays. Every group has a subset of vocal participants whom I prefer to refer to as activists. I can assure you, for every activist atheist, there are hundreds of atheists that belong to the silent majority. Outside of this forum, my atheism comes up extremely rarely, and when it does, it's not initiated by me.ll.
Point taken.

What I meant was that you have reached a conclusion, while I dont see the sense of applying logic to an issue that BY DEFINITION is illogical. I am fine with that. But some people really do need to "figure things out" which is an active behavior.
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>I'm no more obsessed with God than I am with the Easter Bunny. What I do concern myself with is the effects that a belief in a god does have - particularly when it affects others.
<quoted text>
No one is forcing the atheist label on you (at least I don't think so). Only you know what your thinking or what you believe, and how strong those beliefs are. In the same respect, don't assume everyone who does prefer to use a label such as atheist is necessarily of the activist variety.
Point taken, but I dont see it as vocal activism. Maybe intellectual activism is a better word. Thats how I see anyone who embraces the atheist position.

Location hidden

#67247 Feb 9, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
So you can't agree with the statement I put forth?
Specifically why?
You and I can meet for a beer this weekend at Mackenzie's.
You know that.
And you put the question of my existence the same as god's?
Color me confused.
LOL, I feel like we are going round and round again. We spent countless posts last week on this very topic.

I dont know the real you. I have ideas, based on interactions with like minded, like formed beings. But what I really "know" is my experience of you, my relation to you. What you have chosen to disclose to me. And to make it even more muddy, even if you expressed to me what you thought was the real you, it would be incomplete, since it would still be filtered by both of us.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#67248 Feb 9, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
You get ONE more opportunity to answer the followup question to your statement
If you choose not to answer, I will have no choice but to have you re-installed on the ignore list
You stated you share many of the beliefs of the Christian Hebrews in that article - What beliefs of them don't you share?
Don't be a coward, share your perspective.
What your nonsensical posts are telling me is that you do not know which doctrines are in the scriptures and which came out of your rabbis orifices.

I shall AGAIN repeat my ANSWER for you.

ANSWER----I agree with the teachings that are found in the SCRIPTURES. When I say agree I mean that I deem them as a must.

On another note, avoid me if that is what you want to do. As far as I know you still have certain freedoms where you live, at least for now,.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 7 min Agents of Corruption 51,393
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 11 min Teaman 1,190,210
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr American Lady 184,824
Abby 2-28-15 2 hr Pippa 4
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 2 hr TRD 69,103
last post wins! (Apr '13) 6 hr southern belle 507
Ask Amy 2-28-15 8 hr tiredofit 3
Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 7:18 am PST

Bleacher Report 7:18AM
Best Options to Replace Briggs This Offseason
Bleacher Report 8:12 AM
Buzz: Colts Eyeing Trades for Veteran WRs Including Marshall
Bleacher Report 1:14 PM
Could Bears Ever Get Fair Trade Value for Forte?
Bleacher Report 1:40 PM
Wayne Undergoes Surgery on Triceps
NFL 2:44 PM
Reggie Wayne had surgery, mulling Colts future