Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

Full story: Newsday

Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family.

Comments (Page 3,032)

Showing posts 60,621 - 60,640 of68,123
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2014

former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks very much.
I this stems from admitted intense curiosity on the subject.
I spent about a decade trying to figure out what "holy" meant from my religion.

So simple, so oft used, and yet so complicated to really grasp

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2014

former res wrote:
<quoted text>
The key word here being "before." Which is not to say I've never reconsidered my position. Unlike some of us who were born into a faith, I needed a reason to believe, not a reason to not believe.
And if I weren't buying want generations of my own family was selling me, why the hell would I buy what some Brit was selling.
See how much easier it would of been if you were born Jewish? You wouldnt have to worry about faith, only faithfulness.

I dont need a reason to believe, rather I pursue my life in search of the experience of the belief. While searching for the language to express my experience, whatever it may be.

Do you see the difference? In the former one is trying to fit into a box. In the latter, one is creating the box to BEST (but imperfectly) express what you are already perceiving, which is by definition ALWAYS a work in progress.
former res

Cheshire, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2014

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
The boundaries between Christianity and Jews is pretty clear cut to most - therefore I would think that for me to say that Jews can reject labels that have meaning only within the internal Christian system is a valid point. Note with the sinner example, I didnt get into self identification.
Well this all depends of you POV I suppose.

What's clear cut to you may be a grey area to another. And vice versa. But I agree that you have the right self identify as you see fit. But perhaps so do others as well. You obviously don't have to like it or agree.
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
What I was advancing is the notion that these theistic labels really are rooted in the Christian or Western philosophical system, which is preoccupied with a higher status of belief than the Jewish system, which does not share the importance of these concepts at the same level.(Example given of "emunah" vs "faith')
Fair enough.
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
The Messianic Christianity issue is all who gets the right to self-identify and what to do when that conflicts with socially accepted definitions. Different issue. My position on that is that I dont care on the INDIVIDUAL level WHAT a Messianics call themself (I am not going to tell people what to think about themselves personally- for that would be fascist) but IF they call themselves Jews to the outside world and advertise to the OUTSIDE as if they are Jews, then they should be prepared for pushback by those who hold the keys to that definition. Plus, most Christians (other than Messianics)would probably side with the Jews on the question of definition anyway.
I do also, as I've said on here many times: "If you believe in JC, you ain't Jewish" or something to that effect.

I was only commenting on your "hubris" comment.

Does your position being valid to you (and others like me0 NOT make it hubris to tell others what they are or aren't? Just askin.

And I'm not quite sure what this means: "...those who hold the keys to that definition"
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
You dont act atheist, you act agnostic. IMO of course.
And I always felt like one. So I'll ask you the question (credit to CoR):

Are you atheist or agnostic on the Easter Bunny?

Do you have anymore evidence for the existence of God/a deity than you do for the Easter Bunny?

This is part of what made me re-evaluate my position.

But my response was also that this was too important to get wrong and also that I held out hope and would love to be proved wrong. Plus I often enjoy to church , sense of commintiy. the music etc.

“Act Interdimensional ly”

Since: Jan 08

Singapore -- Home of Hot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2014

former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Have fun at Comic Con - when is it?
Too bad about Leonard Nimoy's recent diagnosis/announcement.
He didn't look or sound too good in the recent Start Trek movie. So it didn't surprise me much.
Comic Con San Diego (the original, not the clone Cons) is in last week of July this year. My daughter and I go every year for the past few years-- it is the Geek Haj. In the past couple of years tickets are getting harder and harder to get and while it used to be almost a certainty you could get tickets if you attended in the previous year, that is no longer the case. Many of last years attendees complained about not being able to get tickets this year -- even for single days.

So, my daughter and I get some friends and we all try to get online together and the first one in buys the tickets. This year, it was my daughter who got in first (at 4AM Australia Time).

Because I love working with models and electronics, We typically do costumes on one of the days. Last year I made a working laser pistol and communicator from the "Star Trek" pilot (in the pilot they didn't have the phaser or black communicator) for a Christopher Pike (Jefferey Hunter) costume. It involved making a wood/foam model, making a mold of that from silicone, casting in polyurethane and acrylic then adding the metal bits I made with a mini lathe and the electronics -- laser diodes and sound modules. This year I'm working on a talking Tom Servo for a Joel MST3K costume.

I heard Mr. Nimoy was doing "OK" -- his words -- and we can take heart in the knowledge that Vulcans live an average of 200 years. Spock isn't even middle-aged yet.

Since: Jan 14

Mumbai, India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2014

Frijoles wrote:
I see see JOEL has floundered a perfectly good opportunity to earn a GOLD star.
Shouldn't the word be "squandered" instead of "floundered" in the sentence above, dearest Papa?

And, English is supposedly your first language.

Chill.

Mumbai, India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2014

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>

Idiot, I never argued strict pantheism. I gave my caveats, and why.
Idiot?

You're my Papa.

That makes you a bigger idiot.

Your pantheist argument to buttress your religious blather does not cut ice since the universe is transient, imperfect and largely insistent (since sentience arises only in well organized molecular systems like the human brain though a semblance of consciousness may arise in rudimentary structures. So, if your God, or if your idea of religiosity, is the universe then I wonder how your God can feel, think, plan, know, command, reward, punish, judge and possess a heightened consciousness.

LOL.

Mumbai, India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2014

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>

And by the way, who ever said that God has to be perfect?

Absolute, yes, but perfect?
Here, you've contradicted yourself by stating on the one hand that your God need not be perfect and then on the other hand you say that your God is absolute.

Absolute means something that is in a state of perfect equilibrium or which is invariant in nature, while a God who has shortcomings can thus not be absolute at the same time, right?

Either say that your God (whatever the term God means to you) is either imperfect or evolutionary or absolute.

Mumbo jumbo.
Use only one term to describe your God.
JOEL

Mumbai, India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2014

typo

since the universe is transient, imperfect and largely INSENTIENT

Mumbai, India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2014

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>

Sure, science can tell us something about HOW the religious impulse functions.

But it has nothing to offer regarding the EXPRESSION of the religious impulse.
1) Science can tell us about hardware and functionality which is genetics, molecular organization and brain states.

1) Religion can not tell us anything about hardware and functionality which is genetics, molecular organization and brain states.

2) Science cannot tell us anything about subjectivity since each individual is unique in many ways and the human experience can only be understood by the experiencor (human subject).

2) Religion, too, is clueless about the subjective side of human experience but unlike science that does not lecture to us on how to live life and what to experience, religion arrogantly and ignorantly attempts to generalize human subjective states and makes everyone conform to one kind of reflexes, to uniform behavior and to a common code of values without understanding that subjective experiences and individuality cannot be generalized nor can people be made to conform to crude dictates of a general kind. At some point, humans will rebel and make every attempt to express their innate individuality that's free of dogmas, set rules and juvenile attempts at forcing everyone to conform and this is why every religion has numerous sects with each sect attempting to define its own set of generalizations and rules of human conformity. This breakup of religion into sects is yet another attempt at dogmatizing.

Mumbai, India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2014

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>

Yes, I believe evolution can explain HOW the species has differentiated, but it offers nothing as to a purpose of why we are here in the first place other than (religious?) speculation and perhaps an internal reframing of the issue to meet its vocabulary.
What?

Purpose of life?

Why should there be any common purpose of life when motive and aim are purely subjective states with each human being having his own motives and aim(s) which may differ from that of others?

It goes without saying that happiness is the only common human aim and then too what makes one happy may not make another person happy. Here, too, happiness is quite a personal thing with no rigid definitions or no fixed rules.

Why are we here?

Why are we here is an illogical question - we're here because this is how nature works.

If you can prove that teleology is inherent in nature then only can you talk about the "why" at the universal and at the individual levels, otherwise it's an illogical question.

The why questions usually end up in a head-breaking infinite regress...
JOEL

Mumbai, India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2014

FRIJOLES: Sure, science can tell us something about HOW the religious impulse functions. But it has nothing to offer regarding the EXPRESSION of the religious impulse.

JOEL: 1) Science can tell us about hardware and functionality which is genetics, molecular organization and brain states.

1) Religion can not tell us anything about hardware and functionality which is genetics, molecular organization and brain states.

2) Science cannot tell us anything about subjectivity since each individual is unique in many ways and the human experience can only be understood by the experiencor (human subject).

2) Religion, too, is clueless about the subjective side of human experience but unlike science that does not lecture to us on how to live life and what to experience, religion arrogantly and ignorantly attempts to generalize human subjective states and makes everyone conform to one kind of reflexes, to uniform behavior and to a common code of values without understanding that subjective experiences and individuality cannot be generalized nor can people be made to conform to crude dictates of a general kind. At some point, humans will rebel and make every attempt to express their innate individuality that's free of dogmas, set rules and juvenile attempts at forcing everyone to conform and this is why every religion has numerous sects with each sect attempting to define its own set of generalizations and rules of human conformity. This breakup of religion into sects is yet another attempt at dogmatizing.

Mumbai, India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2014

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>

Swastikas are a symbol of hate.
What?

LMAO.

Swastika in Sanskrit means lucky or auspicious.

In Vedic literature, the clock-wise swastika symbolizes luck taken as a forward movement, or it refers to the cycle of time.

The Nazis gave the swastika a left-handed tilt, enshrined it in a circle and set an eagle atop it.

Is it logical to connect the Nazi swastika with hatred of the Jews?

By this yardstick, the Star of David, an ancient Babylonian symbol borrowed by the Hebrews, could be construed by the descendants of Baal worshippers to indicate racial hatred and genocide which millions of their ancestors were subjected to at the hands of the Biblical patriarchs.

In ordinary terms, the Magen David is simply a geometrical symbol representing a hexagram which could or which could not have an occult meaning.

Mumbai, India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2014

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>

Religion offers a vocabulary to describe perceptions that by definition are difficult to describe scientifically, and to address questions such as purpose, which are too squishy to be operationalized by science.
Really?

What're these unique perceptions that religion offers that atheism does not offer when it's obvious that knowledge and morality and ethics are related to different states of consciousness with each emergent state of consciousness having its own blend of knowledge, morals and ethics?

This ordinary observation is corroborated by the progress (in terms of knowledge, morals and ethics) that human society has made down the millennia and will make in future....

While knowledge can be factual where objective phenomena are concerned but wisdom, morals and ethics are subjective and so each individual can have his own set of these with broad areas of overlap with others.

Mumbai, India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2014

More, later.

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2014

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Cancer, Aids, I can understand
But typhoid? Who brags about curing typhoid?
What kind of diseases do you expect from India.

Changing the issue, one of the ten commandments is 'remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Christians understand it as a mandatory to go to church and pray god. Though many of them prefer to sleep, rather than going to church What's the Jewish perspective about it? I know you shouldn't work, but is it a mandatory to go to the sinagogue on Sabbath?

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2014

JOEL COOL DUDE wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you like Moet and Chandon?
It's one of my favourite along with Cristal Roederer, Krug, Pommery Curveč Luise, Gosset Celebris, Perrier Jouet belle Epoque, Bollinger RD, Armand de Brignac, etc..
JOEL COOL DUDE wrote:
<quoted text>Which wine glasses should champagne be served in?
I bet even one like you knows it...

Mumbai, India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2014

STEFANO COLONNA wrote:
<quoted text>

It's one of my favourite along with Cristal Roederer, Krug, Pommery Curveč Luise, Gosset Celebris, Perrier Jouet belle Epoque, Bollinger RD, Armand de Brignac, etc..
Nice.

I am a teetotaler.

Mumbai, India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2014

STEFANO COLONNA wrote:
<quoted text>

I bet even one like you knows it...
Yes, I know about the wine glasses.

But, do you know which 4 wine glasses are primarily used to serve champagne?

Mumbai, India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2014

What is the correct way of holding a wine glass?

Mumbai, India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2014

winebibber

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 60,621 - 60,640 of68,123
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

50 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min sonicfilter 1,071,636
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 14 min LRS 173,560
Negra Nagin gets 10 years-YEAH 15 min hands on AR 5
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 16 min SpaceBlues 45,438
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 34 min Hatti_Hollerand 385
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 43 min Toj 97,431
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 1 hr george 3,812
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Chicago News, Events & Info