Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

Full story: Newsday 70,615
Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family. Full Story
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#66845 Feb 4, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
I recommend voodoo.
Not surprising as it is the same as Kabbalah.

I shall leave that to you and your more enlightened rabbis.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#66846 Feb 4, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
First, you should learn how to talk to yourself. When you have mastered that with a modicum of self respect, then you might consider moving on to others.
It might be easier if you wore tights. Just sayin'
Another lesson for YOU and it is that there is such a thing as self-respect, try it. STOP LYING, as LYING shows a LACK of respect and integrity.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#66847 Feb 4, 2014
Rick Moss wrote:
Comic Con pre-registration sales begin 0200 Sunday morning Australia time -- hope it's more bug free than previous years
Do you watch Big Bang Theory. Last episode was about Comic Con.

Location hidden

#66848 Feb 4, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
It wouldnt be religion if the adherents didnt believe in something, so no. Humanism is not religion - its philosophy.
Cool. We can agree on this. But didn't you mention that there was a Humanist branch of Judaism? Maybe I misunderstood.

Location hidden

#66849 Feb 4, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Not sure if you watch "Big Bang Theory"
The last episode was all about registering for Comic Con. Very funny.
You can probably catch it online.
You beat me to the punch.

Location hidden

#66850 Feb 4, 2014
Frijoles

I broke down and watched the debate. Of course, Nye crushed it.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#66851 Feb 4, 2014
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
Former---I hope you know I only want to be friends with you.
HughBe--- Yes but I do not want the intimate friendship that you describe as mouth-watering.
Did I really describe that or is it simply wishful thinking on your part?

Is your mouth watering?
former res

Cheshire, CT

#66852 Feb 4, 2014
Rick Moss wrote:
OBTW -- Mayim Bialik (Amy Farrah Fowler and TV's Blossom) is an Orthodox Jew and an actual Neurobiologist with a PhD from UCLA.
yeah I read about her. Couldn't believe that was the same girl from Blossom.

Smart chick for sure..

Very funny show that I only recently discovered.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#66853 Feb 4, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
I absolutely dont see either whatever it is you dont see.
Hows that for deep?
Ok, now you're blowing my mind!

How about I don't see whatever is you DO see?!!
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Moving along slightly, have you ever studied the theory behind martial arts?
No but I took Judo when I was a kid at the OGRCC (old Greenwich riverside community center, which is now a coffee shop next to King's supermarket or almost next to it).

I wasn't bad at at. Using your opponent's weight against him...
former res

Cheshire, CT

#66854 Feb 4, 2014
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
You beat me to the punch.
James Early Jones was a helluva good sport.

And nice man boobs!

Location hidden

#66855 Feb 4, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
James Early Jones was a helluva good sport.
And nice man boobs!

...and Carrie Fischer is one crazy chick.

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#66857 Feb 5, 2014
Cult of Reason wrote:
Frijoles
I broke down and watched the debate. Of course, Nye crushed it.
But did it really convince anyone? I.E. if you were a creationist so you think you would of made the same comment?

I might have to find it in on YouTube

Location hidden

#66858 Feb 5, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok, now you're blowing my mind!
How about I don't see whatever is you DO see?!!
<quoted text>
No but I took Judo when I was a kid at the OGRCC (old Greenwich riverside community center, which is now a coffee shop next to King's supermarket or almost next to it).
I wasn't bad at at. Using your opponent's weight against him...
It was a rippoff from the line "I dont believe in the same God you dont believe in".- a quote from a well known Hasidic Rabbi. Which actually describes the state of our convergence. Dont you think?

I took a few lessons as a kid too in Wilton. Must of been a 70s thing. Nowadays there are of dozens of different arts to choose from. Such as JuJitsu. Of course this was all in the days before corner Sushi.

Anyway, I mentioned it because its a nonthreatening way to learn about Zen, which is an entry point to learning about Non Dual philosophy. A lot of Hasidic Jewish thought is very similar to Zen, except for different terminology - instead of emptyness and nothingness, they use "God" but the actual concept is very similar if not the same.

Location hidden

#66859 Feb 5, 2014
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
Cool. We can agree on this. But didn't you mention that there was a Humanist branch of Judaism? Maybe I misunderstood.
No you didnt misunderstand.

Humanist Judaism is a branch of Judaism, and the followers tend to be accepted a Jews, but not because of their denomination, but because ethnically they usually ARE Jews. There is no personal stigma attached to their participation as in the case of the Messianics. AT worst they are regarded, probably with endearing connotations as "those crazy atheists"....and still welcomed into social Jewish community with equal standing.

But at the end of the day - IF you are looking at what the Humanists teach, it really isnt the Jewish religion. It cant be. They would admit it themselves. Judaism is a system, and it is based upon some type of real God concept and some type of revelation (Torah). The humanists purposely remove the "divineness" (for lack of better term) from the system.

MY critique of them is that their movement is mildy destructive to the Jewish community (speaking theoretically). From a personal perspective I have absolutely no problem with their embrace of values, or as accepting then as social equals. But for Jewish CULTURE to survive (if that is something you want) it has to include the God concept. Its at the heart of the expression, the humor, the food, and the transmission from one generation to another.

Also, I find the Humanists as kind of intellectually lazy because most of their value system is already included within the Reconstructionist movement. No need to construct yet another movement.

But I agree its an interesting phenomenon.

Location hidden

#66860 Feb 5, 2014
HughBe wrote:
Why do you HATE Jesus, the Jew, so much? Is it because of JEALOUSY or is it because your god-men/rabbis teach you to HATE Him or is it both?
Ironic statement coming from the man who probably least embodies Christian values here.

Even the atheists here behave more "Christianly" than you do.

“Act Interdimensional ly”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#66861 Feb 5, 2014
HughBe wrote:
...Why do you HATE Jesus, the Jew, so much?
No one hates Jeebus, he's mythical. You can't hate a mythical character (unless they cast Ben Affleck to play him in the Superman movie). What Jews do hate is the fact that every few decades a bunch of his followers (lookin' right at ya) will kill us in wholesale lots in his name.

Location hidden

#66862 Feb 5, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
But did it really convince anyone? I.E. if you were a creationist so you think you would of made the same comment?
I might have to find it in on YouTube
Of course not. At least not the adults. But I think Nye was trying to reach the fence sitters - if any exist, or the younger generation. And this is where he played to his strengths, by making science sound exciting.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#66864 Feb 5, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
It was a rippoff from the line "I dont believe in the same God you dont believe in".- a quote from a well known Hasidic Rabbi. Which actually describes the state of our convergence. Dont you think?
The corollary to that is that I do (or might) believe in the same god that you do believe in.

You're a pantheist, right?

But I think we can agree that neither of us believes in the old man up in the sky god.
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Anyway, I mentioned it because its a nonthreatening way to learn about Zen, which is an entry point to learning about Non Dual philosophy. A lot of Hasidic Jewish thought is very similar to Zen, except for different terminology - instead of emptyness and nothingness, they use "God" but the actual concept is very similar if not the same.
Maybe a dumb question at this point, but what's "Non Dual philosophy?"

Location hidden

#66865 Feb 5, 2014
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course not. At least not the adults. But I think Nye was trying to reach the fence sitters - if any exist, or the younger generation. And this is where he played to his strengths, by making science sound exciting.
I knew a woman who grew up in a traditionalist (ie fundamentalist) Christian environment. She told me THE reason she left was that she thought dinosaurs were kind of cool - and she couldnt deal with any system that thought otherwise.

Location hidden

#66866 Feb 5, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
The corollary to that is that I do (or might) believe in the same god that you do believe in.
You're a pantheist, right?
But I think we can agree that neither of us believes in the old man up in the sky god.
Panentheist - the difference is that I do allow a minor amount of theism to seep in - an acknowledgment to the practicality of language.

But you are correct - I dont believe in an external God (up in the sky).

<quoted text>
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe a dumb question at this point, but what's "Non Dual philosophy?"
Duality - God and world separate
NonDuality - no separation

philosophy - because Zen, a type of Bhuddism, is nontheistic, therefore it is not a religion.

However, it is my opinion,(but certainly subject to debate and argument) that the nontheistic endpoints of some of the Eastern philosophies are really the same as some religious nondual systems such as Kaballah and Hasidism - the concepts are similar but the labels are different.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 3 min IBdaMann 48,553
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min Teaman 1,143,889
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 54 min primetime justice 98,694
After Ferguson the Protest Should Move to Chicago. 56 min Always Smile 10
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr Dale 180,847
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr ChristmasIsJesus 51,243
Amy Nov 26 2 hr RACE 2
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 5:11 am PST

NBC Sports 5:11AM