Messianic Jews say they are persecute...

Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

There are 72037 comments on the Newsday story from Jun 21, 2008, titled Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel. In it, Newsday reports that:

Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Pete

AOL

#111 Jun 26, 2008
'Jews for Jesus' are Christians.
They are not allowed to bother Jews in Israel.
They should do the same here."

you are correct and Jews should not bother non jews here with their forcing of multi culturalism on others whilst they stay segregated!!
No Mercy

Bethlehem, PA

#112 Jun 26, 2008
Typical BS, they don't want a free market of ideas because they blew it 2000 years ago.
There was ample evidence that Jesus was a rabbi and the Messiah, and they know it!
Many of the top leaders are secretly Christians as of the late 1980's due to their experiences in the Six Day War of 1967 where they saw the miracles firsthand.
The Messianic Jews are faithful to much of the Jewish observances except for sacrifices, which most Jews don't do anymore. This is a 'turf' thing.
How dare that @sshole say that to then 'christian' means convert or die.
When was the last time he saw that?
The 1400's?
What a jerk to use that as a cop out.
Mess Kit

Astoria, NY

#127 Jun 29, 2008
Wasn't it possible that the reason that Jesus wasn't accepted by the elders of the temple was because they saw Him as a threat to their power base?
Peter, Paul, etc. were all members of the faith, they weren't Christians. They chose to believe what He was selling.

“AM YISRAEL CHAI!”

Since: Apr 08

Bricktown, NJ

#128 Jun 29, 2008
There is no such thing as "Jews for jesus". christians believe in the Old Testament, but they believe that jesus was the messiah they were waiting for. Therefore someone who is a "Jew for jesus" is a christian.
PAD

Rockford, IL

#129 Jun 29, 2008
Tell me if you want, why Jews can become anything under the sun, and still be Jews, they can even be Muslims,Communists, Hindus, Bahais, and you name it? But if a Jew believes that Yeshua is the Messiah, that Jew loses their birthright as a Jew. Double standard somewhere here. What should a human being do if they really want to embrace a certain teaching other than the one they were raised? Well the Jewish soul that embraces Hinduism should most definitely be no longer a Jew, for one Krishna is not Elohim, or the God of Abraham. If a Jew becomes a Zoroastrian, no longer can that person be a Jew, as Ahura Mazda is not The G-d of Abraham, but there are few Jews that have ever converted to Zoroaster's revelation, perhaps they should rather than become Hindus.If a Jew becomes a Buddhist, no longer should that person be a Jew,because by becoming a buddhist one must reject the concept of a Supreme Being, thus the God of Abraham is no longer worshipped or even thought of. Oh forgive me if I did not type G-d, rather than God.If a Jew becomes a Communist again that person should be no longer a Jew,because G-d no longer exists to that person, yet there are thousands of Jews in many nations who have embraced Communism, and still are accepted into synagogues and observe Jewish customs and so on.Oh yes we must not forget that a Jew can be one ethnically wise,but not a Jew in the spiritual sense(religious wise).So if a Jew becomes Messianic, than they should be no longer a Jew in the religious sense, but still ethnically they cannot lose their Jewishness, yet the Orthodox of Israel have decided they are no longer Jews, and politically Messianic Jews are being denied citizenship and many other priviledges. Again a double standard!!!
PAD

Rockford, IL

#130 Jun 29, 2008
Stephanie Weil wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, it can be offensive, aggravating and impolite; but we also shouldn't be PREVENTING others from doing it.
In this country, there is constitutional right to free speech - as long as it's done peacefully. And it is also my right to ignore proselytizers - and if they knock on my door - to politely tell them that I'm not interested.
I wouldn't like it if some Christian group tried to..say...shut down the Lubavitcher's Mitzvah Campaigns - which technically involves Orthodox Jews trying to get less-observant Jews to take part in certain Orthodoz Jewish pratices.
Good point, Jews are suppose to be tolerant as no other group, but fear and mistrust rears its ugly head even in the Jewish community. But to be understanding I must say that all religions when in control politically persecute minorities they disapprove of!
PAD

Rockford, IL

#131 Jun 29, 2008
Israel1948 wrote:
There is no such thing as "Jews for jesus". christians believe in the Old Testament, but they believe that jesus was the messiah they were waiting for. Therefore someone who is a "Jew for jesus" is a christian.
Tell that to a Jew themselves who has decided to embrace the Yeshua of the Bible. You fail to understand that although your tradition holds strong to your Jewishness, you cannot take a person's birthright away from them. If you ever took the time to read the New Covenant you would find that Jesus is as much a Jew as you are.What ever happened to a person's inalienable right to choose whom they will serve? Is it not true that these Jews who have become Messianic are still serving the LORD G-d Elohim, if you say no, than take the time to ask them and listen to them. Traditionalist Jews like yourself have been listened to for centuries, many Christians have converted to your faith, and few of them have ever been disowned by their families, unlike the treatment Messianic(Hebrew)believers have received from their own. Nevertheless even if this is to be expected, it still should be spoken against as an evil act to denegrate any Jew for their decision to follow Yeshua as their Messiah.Is your Messiah you are waiting for going to kill all goyim, or is he going to create peace on the planet?
god

Chico, CA

#134 Jun 29, 2008
PAD wrote:
<quoted text>Tell that to a Jew themselves who has decided to embrace the Yeshua of the Bible. You fail to understand that although your tradition holds strong to your Jewishness, you cannot take a person's birthright away from them. If you ever took the time to read the New Covenant you would find that Jesus is as much a Jew as you are.What ever happened to a person's inalienable right to choose whom they will serve? Is it not true that these Jews who have become Messianic are still serving the LORD G-d Elohim, if you say no, than take the time to ask them and listen to them. Traditionalist Jews like yourself have been listened to for centuries, many Christians have converted to your faith, and few of them have ever been disowned by their families, unlike the treatment Messianic(Hebrew)believers have received from their own. Nevertheless even if this is to be expected, it still should be spoken against as an evil act to denegrate any Jew for their decision to follow Yeshua as their Messiah.Is your Messiah you are waiting for going to kill all goyim, or is he going to create peace on the planet?
Being Jewish is my heritage. Who ever said me becoming a Christian means I no longer own my heritage is a liar. I am just as Jewish now as I ever was. Being Jewish is like being a skin color. Call it anything you want, it can't change (Michael Jackson excluded). I have chosen to go back to Christianity because I believe Jesus is the Messiah. Pressures finally off my sons. Hurray!

“Act Interdimensional ly”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#135 Jun 29, 2008
god wrote:
<quoted text>
Being Jewish is my heritage. Who ever said me becoming a Christian means I no longer own my heritage is a liar. I am just as Jewish now as I ever was. Being Jewish is like being a skin color. Call it anything you want, it can't change (Michael Jackson excluded). I have chosen to go back to Christianity because I believe Jesus is the Messiah. Pressures finally off my sons. Hurray!
What you believe is between you, Hashem and your rabbi. Say the Shema, say the Amidah, keep the mitzvah to your hearts content.

But, just because you accept the Christian god, don't take up the habit of Christian preaching. No one is offended by what you believe - people can be vilely offended by what you preach.
god

Chico, CA

#136 Jun 29, 2008
Rick Moss wrote:
<quoted text>
What you believe is between you, Hashem and your rabbi. Say the Shema, say the Amidah, keep the mitzvah to your hearts content.
But, just because you accept the Christian god, don't take up the habit of Christian preaching. No one is offended by what you believe - people can be vilely offended by what you preach.
What???????Since when have I preached? I DO have my own opinions and they aparently don't jive with YOUR opinions. Oh well. Tough tarts. I was responding to the moron woman who said I couldn'r be both Christian and Jewish at the same time. Actually, I can be what ever I want and there isnt a damn thing any one of you can do about it. My original comments had to do with my suspision that it was most likely muslims who bombed the family as Jews don't have the same demand for blood-letting as muslims do in that part of the world.

“Get over yourself...”

Since: Jan 08

You're not that important

#138 Jun 29, 2008
Stephanie Weil wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, it can be offensive, aggravating and impolite; but we also shouldn't be PREVENTING others from doing it.
In this country, there is constitutional right to free speech - as long as it's done peacefully. And it is also my right to ignore proselytizers - and if they knock on my door - to politely tell them that I'm not interested.
I wouldn't like it if some Christian group tried to..say...shut down the Lubavitcher's Mitzvah Campaigns - which technically involves Orthodox Jews trying to get less-observant Jews to take part in certain Orthodoz Jewish pratices.
In THIS country, the free speech with regards to evangelical work is one thing. However, this happened in ISRAEL, where evangelizing is prohibited.
god

Chico, CA

#139 Jun 30, 2008
Fed Up in NM wrote:
<quoted text>In THIS country, the free speech with regards to evangelical work is one thing. However, this happened in ISRAEL, where evangelizing is prohibited.
So then bombing the family is fair game??????????Are you kidding me? Isael is the epicenter of two religions and one fascist cult. There are bound to be difficulties, but I maintain it was a muslim who hurt this family. There is no reason for Jews to harm them. It isnt in the nature of your typical Jewish resident to hurt a Christian, expecially an American Christian. This cowardly act could only have been done by a muslim.
melodylane

Skokie, IL

#141 Jun 30, 2008
If Jews for Jesus people had any manners
or were truly respectful, they'd not be
approaching anyone for reasons of conversion. They are offensive and not welcome at my door.

This whole concept of fighting for new conversions, advertising for them and imposing upon people on the street, in malls and at their door bells is offensive. I'd never support any group that resorted to such tactics.
melodylane

Skokie, IL

#142 Jun 30, 2008
THIS IS THE STUPID POST OF THE DAY, MAYBE THE YEAR.
No Mercy wrote:
Typical BS, they don't want a free market of ideas because they blew it 2000 years ago.
There was ample evidence that Jesus was a rabbi and the Messiah, and they know it!
Many of the top leaders are secretly Christians as of the late 1980's due to their experiences in the Six Day War of 1967 where they saw the miracles firsthand.
The Messianic Jews are faithful to much of the Jewish observances except for sacrifices, which most Jews don't do anymore. This is a 'turf' thing.
How dare that @sshole say that to then 'christian' means convert or die.
When was the last time he saw that?
The 1400's?
What a jerk to use that as a cop out.
Disgusted

Clarendon Hills, IL

#143 Jun 30, 2008
God wrote:
<quoted text>
Jews have a right to their country.
And what of the Palestinians who were routed from their land to make way for a Jewish state? Who now live in refugee camps with no hope of a state of their own? What rights do they have? Jews have no more right to that land than anyone else. Entire races and religions of people who designate themselves (or use a religious text) as "Chosen" spit on the rights of others and have no respect for others. This is the main reason why our country is hated so much - for our misguided support of Israel. Muslims did not destroy this young man's life. Jewish zealots did. Jews who demand the US's support, but then spit in everyone's face because they believe they and they alone are "God's Children".
Barbara

Lititz, PA

#144 Jun 30, 2008
god wrote:
<quoted text>
Being Jewish is my heritage. Who ever said me becoming a Christian means I no longer own my heritage is a liar. I am just as Jewish now as I ever was. Being Jewish is like being a skin color. Call it anything you want, it can't change (Michael Jackson excluded). I have chosen to go back to Christianity because I believe Jesus is the Messiah. Pressures finally off my sons. Hurray!
There seems to be a problem with definitions. Being Jewish is both an ethnic and religious heritage. I will agree that you are ethnically Jewish if that is your heritage, but I disagree that you can be a religious Jew once you have chosen Jesus as your messiah. In my view, you cannot be Jewish and believe that Jesus is the son of God. It is a contradiction in terms and that is what mainstream Jews find irritating.
Disgusted

Clarendon Hills, IL

#145 Jun 30, 2008
melodylane wrote:
If Jews for Jesus people had any manners
or were truly respectful, they'd not be
approaching anyone for reasons of conversion. They are offensive and not welcome at my door.
This whole concept of fighting for new conversions, advertising for them and imposing upon people on the street, in malls and at their door bells is offensive. I'd never support any group that resorted to such tactics.
Would you blow them up? How about just locking your door, and having a big cup of "shut the hell up"???
Peter from Maui

Miami, FL

#146 Jun 30, 2008
Messianic Jews are Christians.

No one should be subject to persecutionof any kind.
Barbara

Lititz, PA

#149 Jun 30, 2008
PAD wrote:
Tell me if you want, why Jews can become anything under the sun, and still be Jews, they can even be Muslims,Communists, Hindus, Bahais, and you name it? But if a Jew believes that Yeshua is the Messiah, that Jew loses their birthright as a Jew. Double standard somewhere here. What should a human being do if they really want to embrace a certain teaching other than the one they were raised? Well the Jewish soul that embraces Hinduism should most definitely be no longer a Jew, for one Krishna is not Elohim, or the God of Abraham. If a Jew becomes a Zoroastrian, no longer can that person be a Jew, as Ahura Mazda is not The G-d of Abraham, but there are few Jews that have ever converted to Zoroaster's revelation, perhaps they should rather than become Hindus.If a Jew becomes a Buddhist, no longer should that person be a Jew,because by becoming a buddhist one must reject the concept of a Supreme Being, thus the God of Abraham is no longer worshipped or even thought of. Oh forgive me if I did not type G-d, rather than God.If a Jew becomes a Communist again that person should be no longer a Jew,because G-d no longer exists to that person, yet there are thousands of Jews in many nations who have embraced Communism, and still are accepted into synagogues and observe Jewish customs and so on.Oh yes we must not forget that a Jew can be one ethnically wise,but not a Jew in the spiritual sense(religious wise).So if a Jew becomes Messianic, than they should be no longer a Jew in the religious sense, but still ethnically they cannot lose their Jewishness, yet the Orthodox of Israel have decided they are no longer Jews, and politically Messianic Jews are being denied citizenship and many other priviledges. Again a double standard!!!
You don't understand the difference between ethnicity, religion and politics. A Jew can choose any type of political viewpoint he likes and still be Jewish. If he chooses a different religious belief, he is no longer a religious J*w although he may be an ethnic J*w. Where did you get the idea that converted J*ws are still considered religious J*ws? There is no inconsistency that the Orthodox base the definition of Jewishness in the religious sense and not on a birthright. By professing a belief in Jesus as the messiah, the Messianics have essentially become converts that are no longer accepted as Jews by the majority of Jews who certainly have a right to define themselves.
Barry

Pompano Beach, FL

#150 Jun 30, 2008
Stephanie Weil wrote:
<quoted text>
That would be impinging on constitutional freedom of speech. The United States is not Israel (thank God)! As long as people don't get physical, nobody should be prevented from preaching.
In this case, the "Messianic Jews" weren't the ones who got physical. It was whoever was that sent that booby-trap to this family's house. There was no need for that.
Disclaimer: I don't like religious proselytizing, however I respect the right of another person to spread their "word". I wouldn't want my rights to be trampled on either.
If the U.S. were Israel, there wouldn't have been an attack on the scope of 9/11 and these petty tyrants around the world wouldn't be phu king with us.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Yeah 1,417,843
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 6 min District 1 222,370
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 8 min Sublime1 103,447
Double Word Game (Dec '11) 2 hr GEORGIA 3,026
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 2 hr RACE 9,373
Word (Dec '08) 2 hr RACE 6,690
Four letter word game (Dec '11) 4 hr GEORGIA 1,929

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages