Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

Full story: Newsday 69,974
Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family. Full Story

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#66175 Jan 19, 2014
STEFANO COLONNA wrote:
<quoted text>
Those couple of quotes of Devarim,(one of the Moses' books) from the link talks about the end of the days rather than the jewish concept of Messiah that you were referring to.
In Jewish theology its the same process. Thats what I said before.

Location hidden

#66176 Jan 19, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
The zucchetto began existence as the Greek pilos and is a descendant of the beret (which itself was originally a large zucchetto). It was adopted circa the Early Middle Ages, if not earlier, to keep clerics' tonsured [shaved] heads warm. Its name derives from its resemblance to half a pumpkin. Its appearance is almost identical to the Jewish kippah (yarmulke), though its significance is quite different.[3][4]
The zucchetto (/ts&#650;&#712;k& #603;to&#650;/; Italian pronunciation:[t&#865;suk &#712;ketto];[1] Italian: "small gourd", from zucca, "pumpkin",[note 1] figuratively referred to the human head[2]) is a small, hemispherical, form-fitting ecclesiastical skullcap worn by clerics of various Catholic Church rites and used by the higher clergy in Anglicanism as well as in the Eastern Orthodox Church tradition. The plural is zucchetti; it is also known by the names pilus, pilos, pileus, pileolus (pileolo), subbiretum, submitrale, soli deo ("solideo"), berettino, calotte ("calotta").[3]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zucchetto
If the Catholics want to wear a gourd on their head, who am I to make fun of them?

Though I suspect a streimel would be more snazzy

https://www.google.com/search...

Location hidden

#66177 Jan 19, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm glad it was you rather than me to draw the parallel between religion and comic books.
If I had said it, it might have come off as condescending.
Some might mention fairly tales in the same vein.
All due respect of course.
You do realize that many of the early Comic books were created by young Jews who stumbled into the fact that pop culture offered a decent market for an adaption of their traditional lore and themes. Sci-Fi as well.

Location hidden

#66178 Jan 19, 2014
former res wrote:
The science deniers will love this one......"So you mean it's cold because it's getting warmer???" Evidently, yes. Though they say the cause is still up for discussion.
The cold experienced in early January was actually a result of the polar vortex weakening, becoming warmer and therefore releasing its powerful chill beyond its normal reach through the northern climes, NOAA says.
Weather experts at NOAA said the intense cold air the U.S. has experienced is in fact a result of a warming world and increasing climate variability. While researchers cannot yet determine whether the fluctuations are a result of natural patterns or environmental effects, meteorologists can predict that parts of the U.S. will see freezing weather again in the coming days as a result of a polar vortex breakdown.
The first stops for the next wave of cold air are the Upper Midwest and Great Lakes region on Sunday, according to Weather.com . The Northern Plains to the Upper Mississippi Valley, Great Lakes, Ohio Valley and Northeast will get hit by the blast on Tuesday into Thursday.
Temperatures will hover in the single digits and teens in these areas, which are 10 to 25 degrees below average for this already-chilly time of year.
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2014/01/18/22...
A lot of that can be explained by the notion that "global warming" is kind of a misnomer. Its "climate change", and the basic idea is that much of the world will be subject to a higher frequency of temp extremes and larger magnitude storm events (along with the higher AVERAGE temperatures).

Location hidden

#66179 Jan 19, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would a non-believer frequent this forum?
:))
Benghazi!!!
former res

Cheshire, CT

#66180 Jan 19, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
If the Catholics want to wear a gourd on their head, who am I to make fun of them?
Though I suspect a streimel would be more snazzy
https://www.google.com/search...
Yikes! Now that's a hat.

I prefer one of my baseball caps.

Usually the Ocracoke (NC) one or the Martha's Vineyard one I got this summer. Guess I like islands.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#66181 Jan 19, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
You do realize that many of the early Comic books were created by young Jews who stumbled into the fact that pop culture offered a decent market for an adaption of their traditional lore and themes. Sci-Fi as well.
Absolutely.

And I don't think it matters much which came first. Do you?

Much easier to share a message if you can entertain the folks at the same time.

Which goes back to my original point.

“Act Interdimensional ly”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#66182 Jan 19, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm glad it was you rather than me to draw the parallel between religion and comic books.
If I had said it, it might have come off as condescending.
Some might mention fairly tales in the same vein.
All due respect of course.
Comic books allow us to (frequently) speculate into theological and philosophical issues without offending anyone's religious sensibilities. I'm not the first to draw parallels between Suiperman and The Jewish Messiah.

It's no coincidence that many of the great comic artists and writers (including the creators of Superman) were Jewish.

Location hidden

#66184 Jan 19, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Absolutely.
And I don't think it matters much which came first. Do you?
Much easier to share a message if you can entertain the folks at the same time.
Which goes back to my original point.
Myth is myth, regardless of its trappings, and being myth doesnt detract from its value. Myth provides a structure to derive deeper layers of meanings.

Location hidden

#66185 Jan 19, 2014
Rick Moss wrote:
<quoted text>
Comic books allow us to (frequently) speculate into theological and philosophical issues without offending anyone's religious sensibilities. I'm not the first to draw parallels between Suiperman and The Jewish Messiah.
It's no coincidence that many of the great comic artists and writers (including the creators of Superman) were Jewish.
What comes to mind is the incantation "Abra Cadbabra", a totally "nonoffensive" declaration of magic.

Which, unknown to most, is just Hebrew for "I create as I speak", in most likelihood derived directly from Kaballa (Jewish mysticism), and undoubtably shared by many other world mysticisms as well.

Location hidden

#66186 Jan 19, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Yikes! Now that's a hat.
I prefer one of my baseball caps.
Usually the Ocracoke (NC) one or the Martha's Vineyard one I got this summer. Guess I like islands.
http://www.mywesternwall.net/2013/05/06/the-s...

The Shtreimel Where is it From? Poles or Mongols?

Location hidden

#66187 Jan 19, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
What comes to mind is the incantation "Abra Cadbabra", a totally "nonoffensive" declaration of magic.
Which, unknown to most, is just Hebrew for "I create as I speak", in most likelihood derived directly from Kaballa (Jewish mysticism), and undoubtably shared by many other world mysticisms as well.
Is it surprising that so many non-Jews attribute magical powers to the Jews? They've been trying to wipe us out for millennia and we're still here, bigger than ever. The Penn and Teller of ethnic groups.

Location hidden

#66188 Jan 19, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.mywesternwall.net/2013/05/06/the-s...
The Shtreimel Where is it From? Poles or Mongols?
I'm sorry, but there is now and will always be only ONE cool hat for the remainder of time.

http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt303/xara...

"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything"

Location hidden

#66189 Jan 19, 2014
Rick Moss wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sorry, but there is now and will always be only ONE cool hat for the remainder of time.
http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt303/xara...
"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything"
Beg to disagree

http://philippi-collection.blogspot.com/2013/...

Ironically, this was posted as an example of the hat Jews were forced to wear in Medieval Europe. But in todays times, it rules!

Location hidden

#66190 Jan 19, 2014
Scroll down to the German picture.

Location hidden

#66191 Jan 19, 2014
Rick Moss wrote:
<quoted text>
Is it surprising that so many non-Jews attribute magical powers to the Jews? They've been trying to wipe us out for millennia and we're still here, bigger than ever. The Penn and Teller of ethnic groups.
We did create the Golum, you know, later readjusted to be Frankenstein (among other monsters)
former res

Cheshire, CT

#66192 Jan 19, 2014
Rick Moss wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed. And concept of the Christ Figure is well known in literature, stage and film::

A Christ figure, also known as a Christ-Image is a literary technique that the author uses to draw allusions between their characters and the biblical Jesus Christ. More loosely, the Christ Figure is a spiritual or prophetic character who parallels Jesus, or other spiritual or prophetic figures.

Christ figure - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christ_figure

[There's a very long list of examples from various medium in the article]
former res

Cheshire, CT

#66193 Jan 19, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Myth is myth, regardless of its trappings, and being myth doesnt detract from its value. Myth provides a structure to derive deeper layers of meanings.
As does good literature, a good movie and so on.

Many positive messages in the good book. And told through meaningful stories.

Why one book inspires a religion and another doesn't is perhaps debatable.

Joseph Smith and those before him were able to inspire movements.

A guy from NY state went out west and was able to start his own religion.

But maybe some folks felt that way 2000 years ago or 6000 years ago.

Location hidden

#66194 Jan 19, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
As does good literature, a good movie and so on.
Many positive messages in the good book. And told through meaningful stories.
Why one book inspires a religion and another doesn't is perhaps debatable.
Joseph Smith and those before him were able to inspire movements.
A guy from NY state went out west and was able to start his own religion.
But maybe some folks felt that way 2000 years ago or 6000 years ago.
On a related subject, what are your thoughts about the mess that Chris Christie ( a double Christ!) finds himself in?

Since: Nov 13

Denver, CO

#66195 Jan 19, 2014
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
From what I understand, the position of high priest was/is very lucrative.
rabbee: yes and sadly, we only have obama.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Do you find smoking attractive? (No posts about... 24 min Youtube 6
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 49 min KiMare 50,588
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 55 min wojar 179,265
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 hr sonicfilter 1,124,815
Chicago a model city 5 hr Just me 6
Father Of Hans Peterson Speaks Out (Oct '07) 6 hr Getagrip 44
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 6 hr casting director 98,497
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago Jobs

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance