Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

Full story: Newsday 70,159
Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family. Full Story

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

#65738 Jan 13, 2014
I just can't imagine jerking off and collecting ejaculated semen in a glass vial or some other container to hand over to a doctor to use in impregnating a female. I don't entertain requests to donate semen.

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#65739 Jan 13, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Have to admit, pork is a very tasty meat.
Way back when had a housemate who was an art student and vegetarian. He came downstairs one morning and said he had had a nightmare in which someone was force-feeding him bacon! The horrors!
(Kind of like me and brussel sprouts!)
or me with mushrooms!

Truth be told, I find the smell of bacon repulsive. Mainly out of traumatic experience. I had a housemate in grad school, ironically a cancer researcher in the med school, who sizzled the stuff up EVERY friggin morning for the year I lived with him. Every morning I would wake up to the sizzle and smell.

The other day I had a tamale at a holiday (Xmas) party and AFTER I ate it, I found out there were two types of tamales on the platter, chicken and pork. I asked no questions, and life moved on.

Location hidden

#65740 Jan 13, 2014
During youth festivals, the IIT campus is littered with used condoms.

Location hidden

#65741 Jan 13, 2014
There's a lot of free sex going on in the international commune of Auroville in India that was founded by the Mother, the Jewish spiritual collaborator of Sri Aurobindo. Aurobindo and the Mother had repeatedly warned their disciples against indulgence in sex and the need to completely get over the sex urge via the yogic force as part of the integral yoga. The females in Auroville dress in such revealing outfits that it's amazing these people think they're following the teachings of Aurobindo and the Mother.

Location hidden

#65742 Jan 13, 2014
Coming into direct contact with the higher frequencies of vibration of the energy field is dangerous if one does not have a purified and a strong nervous system, otherwise the direct contact with the higher energy will breakdown the nervous system of the person leading to diseases, insanity, paralysis or death. Worse, if the higher energy descends into the nervous system, as it has done in my case, then the difficulties are manifold as the nerves are constantly being sensitized to the new input and besides the subconscious is stirred up and brought to the surface for weeding out the undesirable imprints of personality and other adverse impressions. It is a most exacting process. On the other hand, scripture reading, head bowing, following dietary rules, abstaining from work once a week, lighting candles, going on pilgrimage, wearing a certain religious garb or singing songs are child's play and have nothing whatsoever to do with the cosmic reality or yogic experience.

Location hidden

#65743 Jan 13, 2014
Coming into direct contact with the higher frequencies of vibration of the universal energy field is dangerous if one does not have a purified and a strong nervous system, otherwise the direct contact with the higher energy will breakdown the nervous system of the person leading to diseases, insanity, paralysis or death.

Location hidden

#65744 Jan 13, 2014
Worse, if the higher energy descends into the nervous system, as it has done in my case, then the difficulties are manifold as the nerves are constantly being sensitized to the new input and besides the subconscious is stirred up and brought to the surface for weeding out the undesirable imprints of personality and other adverse impressions.

Location hidden

#65745 Jan 13, 2014
Scripture reading, head bowing, following dietary rules, abstaining from work once a week, lighting candles, going on pilgrimage, wearing a certain religious garb or singing songs are child's play and have nothing whatsoever to do with the cosmic reality or with yogic experience.

Location hidden

#65746 Jan 13, 2014
Opps, sorry for the double posts.

Location hidden

#65747 Jan 13, 2014
You are what you eat.

Location hidden

#65748 Jan 13, 2014
"Global Cooling" is fast spreading and even here in coastal Mumbai where the weather is always hot and muggy it's pretty chill these days.

Location hidden

#65749 Jan 13, 2014
Over the years, winter temperatures are dipping all over the world.
JOEL

Mumbai, India

#65750 Jan 13, 2014
Over the years, winter temperatures are dipping all over the world.

Location hidden

#65751 Jan 13, 2014
Usually what happens when a thermodynamic system enters a phase of high instability is that it either collapses or emerges into a higher state of stability.

Location hidden

#65752 Jan 13, 2014
The key to understanding dissipative structures is to realize that they maintain themselves in a stable state far from equilibrium.

Location hidden

#65753 Jan 13, 2014
Eugene Odum's dictum: " Matter circulates, energy dissipates."
former res

Cheshire, CT

#65754 Jan 13, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
or me with mushrooms!
Truth be told, I find the smell of bacon repulsive. Mainly out of traumatic experience. I had a housemate in grad school, ironically a cancer researcher in the med school, who sizzled the stuff up EVERY friggin morning for the year I lived with him. Every morning I would wake up to the sizzle and smell.
The other day I had a tamale at a holiday (Xmas) party and AFTER I ate it, I found out there were two types of tamales on the platter, chicken and pork. I asked no questions, and life moved on.
They should have put those little signs on the platter! "Pork" "Chicken"

Did you enjoy it? That is, before you found out what it might have been?

But too much of anything can be too much.

There was an old Simpsons episode where Homer was sent to hell, strapped down, and rapidly force-fed donuts (his favorite) by a machine. Home was the exception and of course enjoyed every donut!

Location hidden

#65755 Jan 13, 2014
PERFECT EQUILIBRIUM IS DEATH

A living organism is characterized by continual flow and change in its metabolism that involves thousands of chemical reactions many of them going on simultaneously. Chemical and thermal equilibrium exists when all these processes cease. In other words, an organism in equilibrium is a dead organism. Living organisms continually maintain themselves in a state far from equilibrium which is the state of sentience or of life. Although very different from equilibrium, this state of life is nevertheless stable over long periods of time with the same overall structure being maintained in spite of the perpetual flow and exchange of components.

Location hidden

#65756 Jan 13, 2014
CHEMO-THERMAL EQUILIBRIUM & STILLNESS OF CONSCIOUSNESS

Near chemo-thermo equilibrium we may expect to discover repetitive phenomena and universal laws with the innate consciousness, too, entering into a state of "stillness". As we move away from equilibrium, we move from the universal towards the richness of diversity that derive from the universal laws. In this poise of manifested multiplicity, consciousness recovers its dynamic movements associated with sentience.

Location hidden

#65757 Jan 13, 2014
In classical thermodynamics, irreversibility, although an important feature, is always associated with energy losses and waste. However, in a dissipative structure like a living entity which operates in a "state of life" that's far from equilibrium, irreversible processes play a constructive and an indispensable role. This phenomenon has been demonstrated by the noted chemist, Ilya Prigogine, in his radical researches on dissipative structures.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 11 min IBdaMann 47,620
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 11 min shinningelectr0n 1,130,071
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 25 min well 50,815
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 48 min PEllen 98,567
Abby 10-30 58 min PEllen 34
Homosexual honeymoon 1 hr Liberal 3
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 1 hr Mandela 68,695
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr wojar 179,707
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]