Messianic Jews say they are persecute...

Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

There are 72047 comments on the Newsday story from Jun 21, 2008, titled Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel. In it, Newsday reports that:

Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

JOEL COOL DUDE

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

#65677 Jan 12, 2014
When we speak of brain-consciousness processes like thinking and processing sensory data, we can infer that these tasks most certainly use energy which is part of why it is becomes hard to think when you have not eaten for a few days.

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#65678 Jan 12, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Is this where the nickname thing comes into play?
Also that you're not orthodox?(Thought I doubt these other folks on here are either, for the most part..)
yes and no. The simplest explanation is that I dont recognize God as the name of "_____". I only recognize the name in Hebrew. Therefore, I guess from your perspective, its only a nickname. Other Jews do recognize it as a name (since they extend the concept over to English as well). I dont extend the concept over to English because I dont think the English language does justice to the concept of God in general.

I dont hang my identity on an institutional affiliation. Most affiliated Modern Orthodox would not consider me Orthodox. My practice is "egalitarian" - i.e. I follow most of the orthodox traditions except those that pigeonhole the role of men and women. I am ok with women reading from the Torah during religious services, where the orthodox do not. I am more traditional than the Conservative, but also borrow a little from the Reconstructionists.

JOEL COOL DUDE

Location hidden

#65679 Jan 12, 2014
The “energy” that physics refers to which is the capacity of an object to do work is not the same thing as “action of the will” that involves energy used in the bio-psychic system, or is it? This trend of thinking then casts us squarely into the domain of mind-matter and we have every right to ask the physicists or the biologists to define will? What is will? Sri Aurobindo defines will as the direction given by consciousness to energy. Is this so?

JOEL COOL DUDE

Location hidden

#65681 Jan 12, 2014
Consciousness is an integral feature of energy field and so like the energy of the physicist is the energy used by consciousness conserved? Or, since consciousness is simply the innate intelligence of energy thus it may be conserved in a way that differs from conservation as understood in a mechanical system that physics deals with.

JOEL COOL DUDE

Location hidden

#65682 Jan 12, 2014
What the physicists call energy is simply the capacity of an object to do work within 4-dimensional space-time. The mystics say that energy has higher frequencies of vibration other than those encountered in the 4-dimensional spatio-temporal framework.

JOEL COOL DUDE

Location hidden

#65683 Jan 12, 2014
One cannot talk physics without philosophy because the reality is much more than the narrow worldview of the physicist and yogic experiences corroborate this bold claim.

JOEL COOL DUDE

Location hidden

#65684 Jan 12, 2014
Torah, Vedas, Quran, NT and Tripitakas are BS that were created by hallucinating lunatics. .

JOEL COOL DUDE

Location hidden

#65685 Jan 12, 2014
Photons and gravitational waves travel at c. What about mind and its instant travel back and forth in time?

“Act Interdimensional ly”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#65686 Jan 12, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
do you feel threatened by Rick?
Unimaginably so ...

JOEL COOL DUDE

Location hidden

#65687 Jan 12, 2014
Are the Big Bang and the maximum entropy conditions contradictions? How about insanity as an example of maximum entropy in a bio-psychic system? LOL.

*Entropy - a measure of the disorder or randomness in a closed system or as a measure of the loss of information in a transmitted message,

JOEL COOL DUDE

Location hidden

#65688 Jan 12, 2014
IN QM, mass is a "ripple" or a "perturbation" in quantum field due to a quantum or a particle. So, this would bring mass into the domain of potential energy. Whatever.

JOEL COOL DUDE

Location hidden

#65689 Jan 12, 2014
Going to the Sea Lounge in the Taj for a chat with friends. Later.

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#65690 Jan 12, 2014
Rick Moss wrote:
<quoted text>
Unimaginably so ...
Its frightful, isnt it?

(with all due respect to your omnipotence)

JOEL COOL DUDE

Location hidden

#65691 Jan 12, 2014
CONTRADICTION:

Philosophers, neuroscientists, quantum physicists and yogis often refer to the phrase - "the experience of consciousness".

Isn't this a contradiction of sorts, since we experience events within or without only through the consciousness which is the exclusive sentient principle in energy field?

So, by using a misleading phrase like the "experience of consciousness", they posit a dualism in the experiential process which as a result implies that at times the individual somehow separates himself from his own energy field with its innate consciousness and in such a detached state something else other than the consciousness is involved in the act of experiencing events.

This assertion is illogical and contradicts the fact that all experiences come about only through the consciousness at all times.

JOEL COOL DUDE

Location hidden

#65692 Jan 12, 2014
WORD GAMES

The basic definition of energy is the "capacity to do work". The question still remains of what stuff is energy constituted of so that it becomes capable of doing work, or, in other words, of what stuff is energy made of and what compels it to do work.

JOEL COOL DUDE

Location hidden

#65693 Jan 12, 2014
A little later.

JOEL COOL DUDE

Location hidden

#65694 Jan 12, 2014
A few days ago, I purchased a liter of pure handpressed almond oil. I bought the Afghan almonds from a dealer in dried fruits and got it handpressed. The golden liquid is soothing and nourishing. I drink it and apply it on my body and hair. Pure magic. I love using natural stuff of high quality.

JOEL COOL DUDE

Location hidden

#65695 Jan 12, 2014
Hey does metallothionein have anti-ageing properties? Hugh, try some to appear youthful. LOL.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#65696 Jan 12, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
yes and no. The simplest explanation is that I dont recognize God as the name of "_____". I only recognize the name in Hebrew. Therefore, I guess from your perspective, its only a nickname. Other Jews do recognize it as a name (since they extend the concept over to English as well). I dont extend the concept over to English because I dont think the English language does justice to the concept of God in general.
I dont hang my identity on an institutional affiliation. Most affiliated Modern Orthodox would not consider me Orthodox. My practice is "egalitarian" - i.e. I follow most of the orthodox traditions except those that pigeonhole the role of men and women. I am ok with women reading from the Torah during religious services, where the orthodox do not. I am more traditional than the Conservative, but also borrow a little from the Reconstructionists.
I thought it was you who used the term "nickname"?? Though I guess not about yourself.

Wouldn't you say that most American Jews would describe themselves as reform(ed?)?/ Is that the term the next step more liberal than conservative?

I thought you ate bacon but I could be wrong? any other pork? shellfish? Growing up we ate no meat on Friday. Fish I think.

There's a famous hotdog place up here named Blackie's "since 1928." Has never been open on Friday. From an old Catholic family. Really good dogs by the way!

JOEL COOL DUDE

Location hidden

#65697 Jan 12, 2014
My friends and I are planning a winter trip to Zurich, Geneva and Interlaken. May leave as soon as the plans are finalized.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min BlueFlag 1,659,891
Trump is A 2 min Lookin 2 Climax 193
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 21 min Hah_ 243,103
News Random act of kindness in turbulent world (Jan '10) 34 min Lookin 2 Climax 5
News Rauner courts black votes with $1M investment (Oct '14) 41 min RaunerRUN Away 15
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 2 hr honeymylove 11,602
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 3 hr Thoughts and Prayers 105,380

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages