Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

Full story: Newsday 71,697
Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family. Read more

Since: May 13

Location hidden

#63153 Nov 21, 2013
Cold fusion also works but vested interests wielding global power have suppressed the technology.

Location hidden

#63154 Nov 21, 2013
"Irrationality and opposition to science have always spread through those who profit from exploiting human fears of the unknown. The religious ones spread terror with their terrible threats of eternal hell, and unlimited suffering if we deviate from some imagined true path. Today the vendors of spiritual bliss are doing roaring business, preying upon weak minds and spirits, and dwelling upon the fear of death and the unknown."

- Dr Pervez Hoodbhoy, Pakistani nuclear physicist and rationalist

Location hidden

#63155 Nov 21, 2013
"Studying religion will not bring any one closer to scientific truth. I know of no religious text Torah, Bible, or Quran that provides the basis of a scientific theory or experiment, or that has led to the making of a machine or a piece of scientific equipment. The greater the distance we put between science and religion, the better."

- Dr Pervez Hoodbhoy, Pakistani nuclear physicist and rationalist

Location hidden

#63156 Nov 21, 2013
A few Pakistani scientists claim to have calculated the temperature of hell. LOL.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#63157 Nov 21, 2013
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
You seem to forget, I already was a Chrisitian before realizing it was all smoke and mirrors, based on belief without evidence and a bunch of logical fallacies.
Do you think you can convert me back? If so, here's my challenge to you. If you can explain the geneology issue to me in a way that actually makes sense, then, as a reward, I will give you the opportunity to further proselytize to me. I'll even share an email address with you that will allow you to reach out to me directly. But you must earn that privilege first by addressing the geneology issue in a satisfactory manner. Are you up to the challenge?
HughBe--- get the PRINCIPLE. Do you want to become a Christian?

COR---You seem to forget, I already was a Chrisitian

HughBe--- Thanks for the timely reminder. Based on my observation you seem a natural for Judaism. It has answers to suit your desires.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#63158 Nov 21, 2013
JOEL THUMBS UP wrote:
A few Pakistani scientists claim to have calculated the temperature of hell. LOL.
Perhaps they tested the temperature on the inside of the skulls of a sample of rabbis.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#63159 Nov 21, 2013
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
HughBe--- Thanks for the timely reminder. Based on my observation you seem a natural for Judaism. It has answers to suit your desires.
So you decline the challenge. No surprise there that you come up empty handed (as empty as the promises your religion makes).
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#63160 Nov 21, 2013
JOEL THUMBS UP wrote:
Virgin birth is a myth. There are countless stories in various cultures that talk of famous personalities being born to virgins. It's pure myth and an attempt to create a larger than life personality.
There have been reported virgin births in history, but the offspring are always female. I think what happens is that the woman basically clones herself. The term "virgin" in Isaiah 7:14 is a mistranslation of the Hebrew. The word is "almah" which simply means a young woman. The sign was not the childs birth, it was the naming of him Emanuel which means "God with us". Jesus' name is not Emanuel. Jarrett Lawrence Emanuel was born on April 4, 1984.!984 was the "acceptable year of the Lord" Isaiah 61:2.
Eric

Lombard, IL

#63161 Nov 21, 2013
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
Didn't accept the challenge I see. Didn't think you would.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#63162 Nov 21, 2013
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
You seem to forget, I already was a Chrisitian before realizing it was all smoke and mirrors, based on belief without evidence and a bunch of logical fallacies.
Do you think you can convert me back? If so, here's my challenge to you. If you can explain the geneology issue to me in a way that actually makes sense, then, as a reward, I will give you the opportunity to further proselytize to me. I'll even share an email address with you that will allow you to reach out to me directly. But you must earn that privilege first by addressing the geneology issue in a satisfactory manner. Are you up to the challenge?
Jesus was conceived out of wedlock and is a bastard child. We do not know who his father was, they didn't have DNA testing back then. The NT does say that Joseph was not his father. It is thru Joseph that the lineage back to David is traced. Mary was a Levite. You can't have it both ways. The Messiah was supposed to be a descendant of David. If Joseph was not Jesus' father, he was not a descendant of David.

Location hidden

#63163 Nov 21, 2013
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>

Perhaps they tested the temperature on the inside of the skulls of a sample of rabbis.
Why don't you first condemn the biblical prophets for their vile teachings and barbarous acts and then attack the rabbis who evidently take their cue from the former?

Location hidden

#63164 Nov 21, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>

I think what happens is that the woman basically clones herself.
So, you think that it's possible for a virgin to get pregnant?

Location hidden

#63165 Nov 21, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>Jesus was conceived out of wedlock and is a bastard child. We do not know who his father was, they didn't have DNA testing back then. The NT does say that Joseph was not his father. It is thru Joseph that the lineage back to David is traced. Mary was a Levite. You can't have it both ways. The Messiah was supposed to be a descendant of David. If Joseph was not Jesus' father, he was not a descendant of David.
Seems logical. As you can see, Hugh has been unable to refute this and explain what his reasoning is for believing that Jesus' lineage traces back to David.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#63166 Nov 21, 2013
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
So you decline the challenge. No surprise there that you come up empty handed (as empty as the promises your religion makes).
The challenge is yours and others like you. I and those of the light see the light. We find it easier than spelling cat.

What you should do is to continue to ignore the lesson taught by me as ignoring it shall certainly continue to facilitate your ignorance.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#63167 Nov 21, 2013
JOEL THUMBS UP wrote:
<quoted text>
Why don't you first condemn the biblical prophets for their vile teachings and barbarous acts and then attack the rabbis who evidently take their cue from the former?
In OUR lifetime and I shall repeat it in OUR lifetime the rabbis have taught HATE. I am not going back to 4000 years ago to a time when the human family was not as "civilized" and condemn anyone of those era.

One has to look at the context of the prophets and their aims. The principle applies to ALL other people of those periods.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#63168 Nov 21, 2013
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
Seems logical. As you can see, Hugh has been unable to refute this and explain what his reasoning is for believing that Jesus' lineage traces back to David.
Hint: Understanding of CONCEPTS, principles and FACTS are important.

Rote is not the approach.

Location hidden

#63169 Nov 21, 2013
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
The challenge is yours and others like you. I and those of the light see the light. We find it easier than spelling cat.
It can't be that easy if you can't even explain it. Face it. Your ignorance as well as the logical inconsistencies in your beliefs have been exposed.
What you should do is to continue to ignore the lesson taught by me as ignoring it shall certainly continue to facilitate your ignorance.
The only lesson I learned from you is how to avoid answering a question when you don't have an answer.

Location hidden

#63170 Nov 21, 2013
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
Hint: Understanding of CONCEPTS, principles and FACTS are important.
Rote is not the approach.
Misdirection.

Show us how smart you are and explain Jesus' genealogy.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#63171 Nov 21, 2013
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
It can't be that easy if you can't even explain it. Face it. Your ignorance as well as the logical inconsistencies in your beliefs have been exposed.
<quoted text>
The only lesson I learned from you is how to avoid answering a question when you don't have an answer.
1. Whatever makes you comfortable, embrace it. I am NOT in the least bit concerned when the principle is applied to my Jesus. The ones who are concerned are non-Christians and I ask why?

2. I am not surprised that the focus of the discussion is not a part of what you have learnt.

As I have said, your boy introduced Jesus into my discussion so that people like you will be in the CONFUSED state that you now find yourself in.

3. It is a pity that my discussion has gone right over your head.

HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#63172 Nov 21, 2013
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
Misdirection.
Show us how smart you are and explain Jesus' genealogy.
Hilarious.

I shall repeat my misdirection. "Understanding of CONCEPTS, principles and FACTS are important. Rote is not the approach."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 7 min Yeah 1,205,481
News Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 27 min Seymore 51,846
News Mrs. Bush: History will vindicate her husband (Jun '08) 51 min WelbyMD 54,566
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 53 min Mothra 52,231
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 1 hr SLY WEST 814
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr Jacques Ottawa 185,808
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 3 hr scirocco 69,288
Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]