Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

Full story: Newsday

Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family.
Comments
56,181 - 56,200 of 68,459 Comments Last updated 5 min ago
Voluntarist

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2013

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
But there were no statistics in that article. Those were interpretations. Start quoting me probabilities and alpha levels, and we can talk about statistical conclusions.
There were statists quoted in the article that should be easy to cross reference
Voluntarist

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2013

T
ertisement
SINGLE PAGE 1 2
NEXT
FUTURE TENSE WHAT'S TO COME?
JAN. 9 2013 7:45 AM
About That
Overpopulation
Problem
Research suggests we may
actually face a declining world
population in the coming years.
By Jeff Wise
From 1960 to 2009, India’s fertility rate
dropped from six live births per woman to 2.5
Photo by Deshakalyan Chowdhury/AFP/Getty
Images.
he world’s seemingly relentless march
toward overpopulation achieved a notable
milestone in 2012: Somewhere on the
planet, according to U.S. Census Bureau
estimates, the 7 billionth living person came into
existence.
Lucky No. 7,000,000,000 probably celebrated his or
her birthday sometime in March and added to a
population that’s already stressing the planet’s
limited supplies of food, energy, and clean water .
Should this trend continue, as the Los Angeles Times
noted in a five-part series marking the occasion, by
midcentury,“living conditions are likely to be bleak for
much of humanity.”
A somewhat more arcane milestone, meanwhile,
generated no media coverage at all: It took
humankind 13 years to add its 7 billionth. That’s
longer than the 12 years it took to add the 6 billionth
—the first time in human history that interval had
grown.(The 2 billionth, 3 billionth, 4 billionth, and 5
billionth took 123, 33, 14, and 13 years, respectively.)
In other words, the rate of global population growth
has slowed. And it’s expected to keep slowing.
Indeed, according to experts’ best estimates, the total
population of Earth will stop growing within the
lifespan of people alive today.

And then it will fall.
This is a counterintuitive notion in the United States,
where we’ve heard often and loudly that world
population growth is a perilous and perhaps
unavoidable threat to our future as a species. But
population decline is a very familiar concept in the
rest of the developed world, where fertility has long
since fallen far below the 2.1 live births per woman
required to maintain population equilibrium. In
Germany, the birthrate has sunk to just 1.36 , worse
even than its low-fertility neighbors Spain (1.48) and
Italy (1.4). The way things are going, Western Europe
as a whole will most likely shrink from 460 million to
just 350 million by the end of the century. That’s not
so bad compared with Russia and China, each of
whose populations could fall by half . As you may not
be surprised to learn, the Germans have coined a
polysyllabic word for this quandary: Schrumpf-
Gesellschaft, or “shrinking society.”
American media have largely ignored the issue of
population decline for the simple reason that it hasn’t
happened here yet. Unlike Europe, the United States
has long been the beneficiary of robust immigration.
This has helped us not only by directly bolstering the
number of people calling the United States home but
also by propping up the birthrate, since immigrant
women tend to produce far more children than the
native-born do.
http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/futu...

Since: May 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2013

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>

Dont need to be convinced of that!
LOL.

Your jealousy and intellectual inferiority are showing, Mon.

Are you still earning $ 5 an hour?

ha ha ha

Chill.

Since: Nov 13

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2013

JOEL THUMBS UP wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL.
ha ha ha
Chill.
rabbee: no joel, we are not out to get you, your math, or your arrogance.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2013

yehoshooah adam wrote:
<quoted text>

rabbee: Yes Joel! we have all noticed your over obsessing, with mathematics.
My late Dad was some kind of a genius in Math and I too excel in the subject....

If things settle down in my life by which I mean if the yoga progresses smoothly without any sustained attacks coming from that rogue and from the other hostile forces, then I'd really like to enter deep into pure math or into a related discipline that's heavy on math at an advanced level. I was well on my way to cracking the national level entrance exam for entry to doctorate studies conducted by the BARC back here but then I was struck down by a horrific force attack and was ill for quite some time and am only now recovering. I soon hope to pursue my academic aim. Most of my friends from IIT have almost completed their doctorate degrees abroad, while here I am languishing in inaction and not using my intellectual gifts and sound academic background.

Rabbee, wish me well so that I can achieve my academic aim and stay healthy. Money is not a problem. I don't need to work for a living. With me intellectual pursuits mean a lot.

Thank you in advance.

“Act Interdimensional ly”

Since: Jan 08

Singapore -- Home of Hot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2013

JOEL THUMBS UP wrote:
<quoted text>

I see where you might be confused. While in India $5 per hour (IR300) might be CEO money. In most of the rest of the world it's not very much at all.

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2013

JOEL THUMBS UP wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL.
ha ha ha
Chill.
and i only make about $3.88+ an hour for 24 hours a day in retirement. or the equivalent of $11.64, for an 8 hour day of work. as $34,000 is about 1/3 of what, i used to make per year.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2013

Rick Moss wrote:
<quoted text>

I see where you might be confused. While in India $5 per hour (IR300) might be CEO money. In most of the rest of the world it's not very much at all.
LOL.

You're ignorant and another impoverished mon.

India has a heavy concentration of billionaires and Mumbai ranks in the top 5 cities in the world where number of billionaires is concerned.

Here, CEOs earn millions of USD per year.

Given your impoverished status, you won't be able to purchase a small house in an averagely upscale locality in Mumbai.

Anyway, be happy.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2013

yehoshooah adam wrote:
<quoted text>

and i only make about $3.88+ an hour for 24 hours a day in retirement. or the equivalent of $11.64, for an 8 hour day of work. as $34,000 is about 1/3 of what, i used to make per year.
Middle class earnings.

Good for you.

Who looks after your physical needs like cooking, washing, marketing etc? Your Ma? Or a friend?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2013

HUGH,

Where are you, Mon?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2013

THE PROBLEM WITH THE THIRD WORLD NATIONS:

1) It will be very difficult if not impossible to repeat the success story of a Japan or a Sweden or a Canada in the Third World nations where the different problems afflicting them are too numerous and too deep-rooted and too complex to sort out with ease and besides most Third World people lack the higher intellectual capacities of the Developed nations.

2) A quick look at the global IQ chart could provide a clue about the potential of a nation.

3) Just a few days ago, India launched a space probe headed for Mars that puts India on par with the ESA, NASA and Russia and well the media and people in India were extremely proud of the hi-tech achievement of the ISRO (Indian Space Research Organization). What is usually overlooked in such cases is that the ISRO is covertly and overtly helped by Russia who is a leading space power and that the critical technological inputs provided by the Russians to Indian scientists in defense and space ventures are rarely highlighted in the Indian press and so the naive masses in India feel proud of the "indigenous" genius of its scientists and technologists.

4) Another deceit promoted by Indians, that till the recent past used to be supported by industrialists, academics and politicians, is that NASA is dominated by Indians mainly drawn from the IITs to the extent of 33 % or more. Some years ago, an intrepid journalist thoroughly investigated this bogus claim and published his findings in the reputed Times of India in which he provided evidence showing that scientists and engineers of Asian origin at NASA were around 6% and no more. Other investigators followed his lead and burst the bubble.

5) Another boast back here is to equate the IITs with MIT with some fools going to the extent of claiming that IIT = MIT + Caltech + Stanford. LOL. Obviously, IIT is simply a great cram school at the undergrad level and is nowhere near the superlative standards of the super-elite teaching and highly original cutting edge research centers of excellence like MIT, Caltech, Stanford and other US universities.

6) India is home to many billionaires and Mumbai ranks in the top 5 cities in the world where billionaires are concentrated. However, what is not stated is that Indian billionaires are blood and scam billionaires who have grown super-wealthy by looting the nation and bedsides not one product created by Indian billionaire industrialists is world class with everything being cheap imitations of great products created in the West or
in Japan and almost everything manufactured back in India is based on technology transfer under license from foreign companies.

7) So, these are examples of a Third World mentality at work and there are several such examples that I can show you that clearly indicate that it is near impossible to transform a Third World country into a developed nation .

8) Furthermore, religious extremism, mass superstitions, fatalism, terrorism, casteism, ethno-cultural conflicts, population explosion, rampant violence, degraded status of women and other inveterate drawbacks in Third World countries are insurmountable in most ways.

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2013

JOEL THUMBS UP wrote:
<quoted text>
My late Dad was some kind of a genius in Math and I too excel in the subject....
If things settle down in my life by which I mean if the yoga progresses smoothly without any sustained attacks coming from that rogue and from the other hostile forces, then I'd really like to enter deep into pure math or into a related discipline that's heavy on math at an advanced level. I was well on my way to cracking the national level entrance exam for entry to doctorate studies conducted by the BARC back here but then I was struck down by a horrific force attack and was ill for quite some time and am only now recovering. I soon hope to pursue my academic aim. Most of my friends from IIT have almost completed their doctorate degrees abroad, while here I am languishing in inaction and not using my intellectual gifts and sound academic background.
Rabbee, wish me well so that I can achieve my academic aim and stay healthy. Money is not a problem. I don't need to work for a living. With me intellectual pursuits mean a lot.
Thank you in advance.
rabbee: the father of my family was an extremely intelligent man, with an iq of over 170. he taught me calculus, science, and psychiatry, before i was ten years old. i read his school books, as he attended washington university, in st Louis mo. and he was in control and charge, of all the secret weapons projects in america at one time. and what you see today, does not even come close to what america has. you have not even seen but the tip of the ice berg. even the weapons i designed, 60 years ago are in use today.

there was a lot of completion between me and the father of the family i was placed in. not just because of my, higher registered iq. but i was considered as an outsider to him, for i was not his son. but i still tried to love him, and sought for his acceptance in the family. though i never obtained his acceptance, as he refused to adopt me as his son. i do not regret trying to seek his love and approvial.

i wish for you more than just what is considered as luck in this world. so that hopefully you will discover, it is as much all vanity as i already did. do not put a lot of faith, in what this world teaches you. question everything they try to teach to you. because they will try to insert lies into it. the intelligence in this world, is not all what it appears to be. all the promise of that math, will most likely never be used.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2013

HUGH,

Does Jamaica have a JSA - Jamaican Space Agency?

How good is Jamaica in nuclear science or in supercomputing?

Is aerospace engineering/aerospace science offered at the university level in Jamaica?

How good are Jamaicans at Math?

How good are the Math departments in Jamaican universities?

Do black Jamaican students study Math and Physics at the grad/doctorate level in Jamaican universities?

(smiles)

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2013

JOEL THUMBS UP wrote:
<quoted text>
Middle class earnings.
Good for you.
Who looks after your physical needs like cooking, washing, marketing etc? Your Ma? Or a friend?
rabbee: G-D has prepared me well, since there is nobody but me here in TheTorah. i have no one else, to depend upon. i have understood for a long time, not to trust any one who wants to pretend to take care of me. i know that is, always with a lie. using me, to take care of themselves only. even if i do not have, the shorter feet to stand closer to the kitchen sink. i do manage on my own, as prepared.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2013

yehoshooah adam wrote:
<quoted text>

i wish for you more than just what is considered as luck in this world.
Thank you.

Yesterday night I wasn't feeling well and so I didn't come online early and later when I came online I posted a few messages and then rested.

Now, too, I am unwell but much better than yesterday.

I want to completely recover from those illnesses that were brought on by emotional disturbances thanks to may late parents who hated each other and mainly from the force attacks launched at me by that evil man and by the hostile forces.

At the same time I am often sad that I have no one to call my own what with the untimely deaths of my parents and sister. I feel sad most of the time and at times my emotions overwhelm me and then my eyes turn moist.

I want to recover completely and pursue my academic aim.

I have some novel ideas in science and tech that I'd like to research at a well established R & D institution preferably in the US after completing the doctorate ...

Anyway, thank you very much.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2013

Judged:

Going to shower. Hugh, you're not welcome in the shower. Bye.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2013

Have to visit a place in suburban Mumbai that's quite a long way off from Altamount Road in South Mumbai. Bye. Later.

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2013

JOEL THUMBS UP wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you.
Yesterday night I wasn't feeling well and so I didn't come online early and later when I came online I posted a few messages and then rested.
Now, too, I am unwell but much better than yesterday.
I want to completely recover from those illnesses that were brought on by emotional disturbances thanks to may late parents who hated each other and mainly from the force attacks launched at me by that evil man and by the hostile forces.
At the same time I am often sad that I have no one to call my own what with the untimely deaths of my parents and sister. I feel sad most of the time and at times my emotions overwhelm me and then my eyes turn moist.
I want to recover completely and pursue my academic aim.
I have some novel ideas in science and tech that I'd like to research at a well established R & D institution preferably in the US after completing the doctorate ...
Anyway, thank you very much.
rabbee: please note that health, has everything to do with G-D here in TheTorah. it is irrelevant what your parents did without G-D. it is relevant what you have, to do with G-D here in The Torah Happening again. your health shall improve with G-D here in The Torah, but shall diminish without G-D here in TheTorah today. all i ask is that you try it here in The Torah from G-D again.

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2013

Voluntarist wrote:
<quoted text>
There were statists quoted in the article that should be easy to cross reference
Statists? I think you mean statistics. And no, there were no inferential statistics quoted.

Here is the article that your article was based on http://www.economist.com/node/14743589

Besides from the fact it continues to promote the viewpoint you now disavow (that high rates of fertility are a threat to our existence), it is nothing but summary stats.

Summary stats are useless without basic modes to compare them to like mean and standard deviation, and are even more useless unless you can hypothesis test

The article depends on such statements like "there has never been a decline so rapid in the modern world". Well, that is interpretation, not statistical inference. There is no quantitative analysis to back up that statement.

To show what I mean,from wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Descriptive_stat...

"....Descriptive statistics is the discipline of quantitatively describing the main features of a collection of data,[1] or the quantitative description itself. Descriptive statistics are distinguished from inferential statistics (or inductive statistics), in that descriptive statistics aim to summarize a sample, rather than use the data to learn about the population that the sample of data is thought to represent.

This generally means that descriptive statistics, unlike inferential statistics, are not developed on the basis of probability theory.[2]

Even when a data analysis draws its main conclusions using inferential statistics, descriptive statistics are generally also presented. For example in a paper reporting on a study involving human subjects, there typically appears a table giving the overall sample size, sample sizes in important subgroups (e.g., for each treatment or exposure group), and demographic or clinical characteristics such as the average age, the proportion of subjects of each sex, and the proportion of subjects with related comorbidities.

Some measures that are commonly used to describe a data set are measures of central tendency and measures of variability or dispersion. Measures of central tendency include the mean, median and mode, while measures of variability include the standard deviation (or variance), the minimum and maximum values of the variables, kurtosis and skewness.[3]

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2013

JOEL THUMBS UP wrote:
HUGH,
Where are you, Mon?
Learning how to twerk at his local "friendly" bar

Its going to take some time because this does not come naturally for him.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

51 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 8 min Lily Boca Raton Fl 1,084,936
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 22 min spades a spade 68,110
Ask Amy 8-1-14 49 min Shari23 19
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 1 hr honeymylove 486
Abby 8-1-14 1 hr Mister Tonka 10
The Lollapalooza Music Festival is War on Cultu... 1 hr Culture Auditor 1
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 2 hr Terry rigsby 49,032
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 3 hr Jacques in Ottawa 175,260
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 12 hr PEllen 97,587
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••